Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]

You could be exiled, sent off to work in the salt mines (sort of hard labor with the wink wink wink thought that if you survived the mines you deserve your freedom), or sold into slavery for an indeterminate amount of time.

We should go back to those times...  I hate it when my license plates have a "Made In china" sticker on them.   The little rocks I got that were made from bigger rocks all read "Hecho En mexico".   Instead of the state ("Us") paying for weight benches and cable tv for cons, why don't those who screw us and get caught pay us back??

For example, suppose you catch Osama in some corner of the globe. he's in custody but your convoy is attacked and it looks likely that he'll be liberated. Excuting him on the spot rather than risk his rescue might serve justice so long as the one making the call is authorized to do

if I catch osama in the corner of the cave he is in right now, the only custody I would have is a rotting corpse of a dirty...  okay, if I continue I'll get booted, but ya get the point
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Our sin really creates so many problems for us doesn't it.

I believe that the death penalty should be used and used more liberally. God will be the ultimate judge of ones life and their eternal destony, we all face it sooner or later, and for some I believe sooner is better.

Render unto Ceasar that which is ceasars. It's societies decision, If put to a vote, I'd vote for it. The majority would determine wether it becomes the law of the land. I say let god deal with the really hard questions.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I support the Death Penalty. I am a "so-called" Christian.. if you even want to use that term. For I don't think it's right to call oneself a Christian. Being a Christian is not when you say you are, but when other people see your actions, your attitude etc... and then call you a Christian.

If you commit a sin worth of death then why not? I don't see what is wrong with the death penalty. Certain acts have certain consequences. If you commit these acts, you should be dutifully punished. It's quite simple.

I think there needs to be inconclusive evidence to sentence one to death though. I know for a fact that not all of the people on death row are guilty, but for the majority, most are.

Using the death penalty has ultimately saved lives, it's proven that most murderers, rapists, etc... will repeat the crime once released from prison. One dead to save 2-5 more? (example) I'd say it's worth it.

No one gave them the right to take the life of another or to rape a woman, or a child. The death penalty has it's purposes. Of course if you steal you shouldn't be sentenced to death, just have one of your hands chopped off. Steal again, have the other chopped off.

Fair is fair.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I oppose the death penalty for obvious reasons. IMHO, the only justifiable taking of human life is is under the following circumstances.

In defense of life, yours or others when in immediate peril.
In defense of your home/property, when in immediate peril and I'm not talking about "car keying".
In defense of your nation/serving in the military during times of war.
Euthanasia, ending extreme suffering of the terminally ill or critically injured that CAN NOT be healed and where death will happen anyway due to THAT injury/illness.

IMHO, The death penalty is state sanctioned murder where the inmate's death is planned and executed when the inmate poses no emmediate/iminant threat to another where as the death penalty becomes an act no better than the act of those we imprison for the same. The state represents all of us, to me, it puts the blood on my hands as well, that is something I am not comfortable with. I'm happier putting shitbags in a cell the size of my bathroom, forcing them to eat that crappy prison food, to shit and piss under scrutiny without privacy or freedom of movement for the rest of their pathetic lives, for that end, I gladly pay my taxes.

Flame on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why is it that here in America, so many so-called "christians" are pro-death penalty?

You would think that for a group of people to support the death penalty of a religous sect whose very foundation involves the wrongful execution of a wrongly accused "man" the desire to repeat that offense would be non-existant.

Seriously, I've tried to figure out this hypocrisy for years and it just makes no sense - Jesus Christ was wrongly executed, and there have been countless other wrongly executed prisoners over the centuries, so why continue to push this bloodlust?

Here in the US we do not execute people over freedom of speech issues like they did in the days of the Romans. In the US we execute murderers. Christ was executed over a freedom of speech issue. Which I might add he was guilty of by his own admission (speaking out against). So if the law executed people who broke the law by speaking out against whatever then he was not wrongly executed as far as the law goes. (relax christians, just proving a pont) Hence Christians are not hypocrits for believing in capital punishment.
Point, set, match
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
In the bible God commanded that a death sentence be carried out for MANY MANY types of conduct. He didn't just say that it warranted death, but commanded those in charge (and at times, the people as a whole) to carry it out on a regular basis whenever such prohibited conduct occured.

Later, Jesus came onto the scene and preached forgiveness for those who committed sin and returned from their sinful ways if they did not make a habit of such sin. He did not preach tolerance of sin - but did rebuke a few hypocrits who were living lives of sin while attacking others who sinned.

The new testament also indicates that God allows "Caesar" (the government) to bear the sword, which seems to support the idea that they are justified in using that power to keep order.

Even so, the new testament indicates that in the 'time of the end' God will arrange to end wickedness which will result in dead bodies lying from 'one end of the earth to the other', and that narrow is the path and few that would get in through the 'narrow gate' (the rest would be killed for their sinful lifestyles). Forgiveness only applied to those few who attempted to live by God's rules - the 'death penalty' for all others, but carried out by God.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]

In the US we execute murderers. Christ was executed over a freedom of speech issue. Which I might add he was guilty of by his own admission (speaking out against).

Actually, I believe Jesus was executed for sedition - he claimed to be a king, and claimed that all man made governments would be subjects under his authority, including the Roman empire.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In the US we execute murderers. Christ was executed over a freedom of speech issue. Which I might add he was guilty of by his own admission (speaking out against).

Actually, I believe Jesus was executed for sedition - he claimed to be a king, and claimed that all man made governments would be subjects under his authority, including the Roman empire.

He never claimed Kingship of any earthly territory.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He never claimed Kingship of any earthly territory.

True.  He stated that his kingdom was, "not of this world."  Of course, that didn't keep the Sanhedrin from bearing false witness against Jesus.  The world does belong to Jesus, but he was not here to claim worldly kingship during his earthly ministry.

Very interesting how the Sanhedrin arrested Jesus for what they claimed to be a breach of the Rabinical law, yet when they turned Jesus over to the Romans, the Sanhedrin accused Jesus of entirely different false crimes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top