BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You and H46Driver share the same myopia on this subject. You continually equate the abrogation of the TLM with just about all evil that is currently befalling the Catholic church. Heresy, apostasy, drop in attendance, the subversion of the church from the inside, etc. etc. You do this to the point where you question the authority of the Magisterium. What else is one supposed to conclude from those statements?

And I continue to be baffled by the second point of your statement, one that is shared by several others: Namely, that the abrogation of the TLM is the cause of all these woes. The statement highlighted in red: Show me the data.
View Quote

And you keep saying "society has changed" as if the Church has no choice but to be conformed by the culture.  The role of the Church is to conform the culture, not surrender to it.  The Church has done this over and over in the past ex. requiring a woman's consent for a marriage to be valid or in opposing chattel slavery in the U.S.

The most charitable interpretation of the NOM is that it eliminated many uniquely Catholic aspects in order to foster the conversion of Protestants.  Has it?  At what point does one admit that experiment failed?

What should the Church do about the fact that "former Catholics" is one of the fastest growing groups?  Double down with Francis's aspirations of a Novus Novus Ordo?

There isn't any one thing that will reverse the ills the Church is experiencing.  TLM seems to help where it is allowed. So does faithful orthodoxy in NO parishes, but this Pope seems to see either of those as "rigid".

What "data" would you even accept? In earlier threads, you rejected the idea that the widespread adoption of a practice instituted by Protestants in the 1500s to destroy faith in the real presence caused Catholic belief in the real presence to drop to 30%.

You did, however, post many of the issues negatively affecting the Church today, "Heresy, apostasy, drop in attendance, the subversion of the church from the inside".  How does greatly limiting or eliminating the TLM fix these?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You and H46Driver share the same myopia on this subject. You continually equate the abrogation of the TLM with just about all evil that is currently befalling the Catholic church. Heresy, apostasy, drop in attendance, the subversion of the church from the inside, etc. etc. You do this to the point where you question the authority of the Magisterium. What else is one supposed to conclude from those statements?

And I continue to be baffled by the second point of your statement, one that is shared by several others: Namely, that the abrogation of the TLM is the cause of all these woes. The statement highlighted in red: Show me the data.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, this discussion has turned into-To want to go to the Traditional Rite you are a schismatic....... what? You have schism because you disobey Vatican II.... where in the Vatican II doc's does it say that tge Traditional rite has been abrogated?

How about you look at it from a simple, reasonable arena- the data points. All data points since the development of the New Order Mass have declined at a significant rate. So, if you wish to find a fix, retreat to a rally point where we had growth, the Ancient Traditional Rite. Seems like a plausible idea to me. SNIP

One would be very obtuse, to NOT extrapolate at least some of these problems with the changes. Just from a physical aspect, a human aspect, the changes that have been made will definitely cause a unbelief in the True Presence. From a Supernatural, spiritual side..... absolutely Satan would want the removal of the TLM. The data has been posted many times. But I will pull it all together when I get home from work to show you. BTW the TLM is not abrogated.

-belief in the True Presence @ 20% of NOM church goers per Pew Research
-Baptisms - down
-Church attendance- down
-Vocations- down
-Convents- pretty much gone
-We are told not to evangelize indigenous people anymore
Our Pope allowed tge worship of a satanic idol IN THE GROUNDS OF THE VATICAN AND ST PETER'S!

If you are taking major losses in a battle... you retreat. Preferably to known ground. Defensiveable ground. Like one that has evangelize the world for 1800 yrs.

You seem to believe that we are saying that the NOM is illegitimate. I will not say that because it us what I received all my Sacraments from. But, one would have to extrapolate that there is problems with it because of the data.... and the fact that there wasn't a reason to make the changes they did.

I asked a question above.... did the Eucharist change?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Schism takes many forms. The questions you asked: Many Catholics won't answer them all in the way you want to. Is that schism or is that ignorance, sometimes willful ignorance? Maybe it makes no difference. The bigger question is: Do you truly believe that you can change people's faith by retreating back behind the walls and doubling down on separating them more from the sacraments? *I* do not believe for one moment that this is the way to change people's hearts. You want to improve their foundation of people's beliefs? You don't start at the end and then hope they somehow come to join you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Schism takes many forms. The questions you asked: Many Catholics won't answer them all in the way you want to. Is that schism or is that ignorance, sometimes willful ignorance? Maybe it makes no difference. The bigger question is: Do you truly believe that you can change people's faith by retreating back behind the walls and doubling down on separating them more from the sacraments? *I* do not believe for one moment that this is the way to change people's hearts. You want to improve their foundation of people's beliefs? You don't start at the end and then hope they somehow come to join you.

Those answers are not "the way H46driver wants": they are the historic teaching of the Catholic Church.

Your question about retreating is a good one, but it's not those Catholics who have an attachment to some older forms of liturgy who are retreating.  Those folks are out there embracing the fullness of the faith and living it, going to Mass, not using artificial contraception, and giving more despite having larger families and being younger.

The retreat is from those saying that society has changed so the Church should too.

Quoted:
And your statement on "we can hope hell is empty" is a telling one. Obviously, it is a dig at Bishop Barron for the YouTube video he posted. Do I believe hell is empty? No. What *I* believe doesn't matter though God, in His infinite mercy and kindness (which extends to you and I), could choose to welcome almost everybody leaving hell very sparsely populated. Is it a realistic expectation? No. But it is no LESS realistic than you and I being forgiven our sins. Your statement, more than anything, makes me sad because I see you as someone who is full of judgment. You sneer at the very idea that the possibility exists that hell is not that full. Why wouldn't you rejoice in that?

It's actually a did at V2 theologian, vonB who Barron is quoting.  As far as the possibility of hell being empty, was Jesus wrong when He said "And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” Or when He said "Then he will say to you, ‘I do not know where [you] are from. Depart from me, all you evildoers!  And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves cast out."

Was the Blessed Virgin Mary wrong when she showed Jacinta, Francisco, and Lucia a vision of hell with many sould in great torment?

Or how about the Councils of Lyon I, Lyon II, and Florence that proclaimed that those who die in a state of mortal sin will suffer eternal punishment?  Do those councils count?  Or did Vatican 2 change those teachings?  

"Dare we hope" is rubbish because it is not Catholic.  It contradicts scripture, it contradicts the Church fathers, it contradicts the teachings of at least 3 councils, and it contradicts what the BVM revealed in several apparitions deemed worthy of belief.

Do you not reject heterodoxy if not outright heresy?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

-Baptisms - down
-Church attendance- down
-Vocations- down
Our Pope allowed tge worship of a satanic idol IN THE GROUNDS OF THE VATICAN AND ST PETER'S!

If you are taking major losses in a battle... you retreat. Preferably to known ground. Defensiveable ground. Like one that has evangelize the world for 1800 yrs.

You seem to believe that we are saying that the NOM is illegitimate. I will not say that because it us what I received all my Sacraments from. But, one would have to extrapolate that there is problems with it because of the data.... and the fact that there wasn't a reason to make the changes they did.

View Quote

By their fruits you shall know them...except for the "reforms" of the post V2 RCC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have answered and then reposted my answer.

Your turn now.  What do  those Catholics who feel attached to some earlier liturgical forms reject about V2?  By  those Catholics who feel attached to some earlier liturgical forms I mean those in congregations who TC will affect - diocesan TLM, FSSP, or ICKSP.

Unless you think Francis is limiting those three to have some affect on sedes, schismatics, or semi-schismatics to whom TC does not apply
View Quote

I have gone back and looked, and I don't see an answer to what you would do, or what obligation other TLMs would have if an abolition of the TLM was put in place. Forgive me, but I'm not seeing it. That doesn't mean you didn't answer it, just that I can't find it.

Still it shouldn't be hard for you to just restate it. It seems you are hesitant to do so in an explicit manner now, and I don't know why. Either you don't want to go on record, or this is some odd power thing for you where you are refusing to answer. Either way, it seems pointless.

As far as the reasons why some  Trads reject V2, I think their primary motivation is a reactionary one. They are disquieted by the recent direction of the Church and view it as a modernization movement which places their beliefs of what the Church should look like in its practices in peril. However, as this is unacceptable in itself to be a just reason for the language, tone, actions etc. that some of them advance, they veil their complaints under the guise of doctrinal concerns. Again, this is for some ( I would argue the most radical). Now, that doesn't mean they don't have some very good points, I just don't think that is their primary impetus. This is just my opinion.

Now, here is where you come in with your "From what I've seen..." which is insignificantly anecdotal to the larger argument. It is valid only in the microcosm that is your small periphery. That's it.

I don't agree with the Pope's actions, tone, or attitude on this issue, but I also find the ceaseless complaining by some Trads to be petulant, tiresome, and in need of a recalibration.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’m not sure if this is directed at me or you are just venting to me about someone whose position I don’t share???

I admit I haven’t read every word in this thread, but it seems like you are on a witch hunt against schismatic Trads and are in the interrogate-the-faithful-Trads phase.  I don’t think I know what’s going on.  Maybe normal trad talk that sounds fine to me has the whiff of something schismatic to others?  

Either way, if there’s anything I can help clear up let me know.  
View Quote

This wasn't directed at you in a negative way, just an answer to your question.

If you read the entire thread and all of my posts you will see that I have repeatedly stated that I think the TLM is holy, sacred, valid, and should be a part of the Church forever. I have also said that I do not think most Trads are guilty of any wrong doing or ill intentions. Further, I have also repeatedly stated that I am not in agreement with the Pope on this or many other of his actions.

If this constitutes a witch hunt to you, I don't know what else I can do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, this discussion has turned into-To want to go to the Traditional Rite you are a schismatic....... what? You have schism because you disobey Vatican II.... where in the Vatican II doc's does it say that tge Traditional rite has been abrogated?
View Quote

This is an inaccurate and unfair characterization of my point, and you are now putting words in my mouth. If I have come off that way, which I don't think I have, then I apologize as I most certainly do not see it that way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thread has been a great exercise in patience, which is a weakness of mine.  I can overlook ignorance and and I can overlook arrogance, but my patience runs thin when the two are combined.  I think that we, as a society, suffer from a lack of epistemic humility.
View Quote

I agree completely, and I think you should pray for many of your Trad brethren because if the posts here are representative of the more rationale elements of the TLM movement, then perhaps there is some truth behind the many calls for concern from the larger Church.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have gone back and looked, and I don't see an answer to what you would do, or what obligation other TLMs would have if an abolition of the TLM was put in place. Forgive me, but I'm not seeing it. That doesn't mean you didn't answer it, just that I can't find it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have answered and then reposted my answer.

Your turn now.  What do  those Catholics who feel attached to some earlier liturgical forms reject about V2?  By  those Catholics who feel attached to some earlier liturgical forms I mean those in congregations who TC will affect - diocesan TLM, FSSP, or ICKSP.

Unless you think Francis is limiting those three to have some affect on sedes, schismatics, or semi-schismatics to whom TC does not apply

I answered the first question and said that it was time to hear some answers instead of just providing them.

Quoted:
As far as the reasons why some  Trads reject V2, I think their primary motivation is a reactionary one. They are disquieted by the recent direction of the Church and view it as a modernization movement which places their beliefs of what the Church should look like in its practices in peril. However, as this is unacceptable in itself to be a just reason for the language, tone, actions etc. that some of them advance, they veil their complaints under the guise of doctrinal concerns. Again, this is for some ( I would argue the most radical). Now, that doesn't mean they don't have some very good points, I just don't think that is their primary impetus. This is just my opinion.

What teaching is it that those Catholics attached to some earlier liturgical norms reject?  Specifically, those Catholics who will be affected by TC:  those attending diocesan TLM, FSSP, or ICKSP.

What doctrine or dogma?

This *should* be an easy question to answer if these accusations from the pope are not gaslighting distortion.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I answered the first question and said that it was time to hear some answers instead of just providing them.

What teaching is it that those Catholics attached to some earlier liturgical norms reject?  Specifically, those Catholics who will be affected by TC:  those attending diocesan TLM, FSSP, or ICKSP.

What doctrine or dogma?

This *should* be an easy question to answer if these accusations from the pope are not gaslighting distortion.

View Quote

At this point I don't see how anything productive can come out of continuing this, and that's a shame.

I do not agree with the Pope's actions, and I hope the TLM mass is a part of the Church forever. I do not think that Trads are inherently schismatic, evil, or militant. Unfortunately, I think they are their own worst enemies when it comes to proselytizing for the TLM cause.

With that said, I also think that there should be some pause among TLM adherents when it comes to recognizing and addressing some of the more overzealous elements of the those with a strong "fealty" to the TLM. It could lead to a slippery slope where the language and actions of some TLM people further hardens Rome's approach toward the TLM.

In any event, I'll check myself out of this thread and wish the best for all Catholics.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, the Eucharist didn't change. Now let me throw some data your way.

"he share of U.S. adults who say they believe in God, while still remarkably high by comparison with other advanced industrial countries, has declined modestly, from approximately 92% to 89%, since Pew Research Center conducted its first Landscape Study in 2007.1 The share of Americans who say they are "absolutely certain" God exists has dropped more sharply, from 71% in 2007 to 63% in 2014."

https://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/u-s-public-becoming-less-religious/

And that's just 2007 to 2014!

"An analysis of religious trends from 1981 to 2007 in 49 countries containing 60% of the world's population did not find a global resurgence of religionmost high-income countries were becoming less religioushowever, it did show that in 33 of the 49 countries studied, people had become more religious (Norris and Inglehart, 2011). But since 2007, things have changed with surprising speed. From 2007 to 2020, an overwhelming majority (43 out of 49) of these same countries became less religious. This decline in belief is strongest in high-income countries but it is evident across most of the world"

https://blog.oup.com/2020/12/why-is-religion-suddenly-declining/

"He cites British Social Attitudes surveys, which suggest that the number of Anglicans here "fell from 40% of the population in 1983 to 29% in 2004 to 17% last year". "   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-33256561

"Both Protestantism and Catholicism are experiencing losses of population share. Currently, 43% of U.S. adults identify with Protestantism, down from 51% in 2009. And one-in-five adults (20%) are Catholic, down from 23% in 2009."  https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

"On average last year, 36 percent of Americans in ABC News/Washington Post polls identified themselves as members of a Protestant faith, extending a gradual trend down from 50 percent in 2003. That includes an 8-point drop in the number of evangelical white Protestants, an important political group."  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/protestants-decline-religion-sharply-shifting-religious-landscape-poll/story?id=54995663

Those are HUGE declines in absolute numbers - and not just for Catholics. It is a global phenomenon and has nothing to do with Vatican II or changing from TLM to NO. People notice this stuff, and some retreat and some are drawn to more traditional venues like the TLM for comfort. And taking your argument to absurd heights: During the Middle Ages, pretty much 100% of the population was Catholic and practiced the TLM - yet it gave rise to Protestantism and a fall to Catholicism vastly shrinking. How do you explain that? Why couldn't I lay the fault of that at the feet of TLM? You only want to focus on the data from the last few years. Logically, that's not consistent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One would be very obtuse, to NOT extrapolate at least some of these problems with the changes. Just from a physical aspect, a human aspect, the changes that have been made will definitely cause a unbelief in the True Presence. From a Supernatural, spiritual side..... absolutely Satan would want the removal of the TLM. The data has been posted many times. But I will pull it all together when I get home from work to show you. BTW the TLM is not abrogated.

-Baptisms - down
-Church attendance- down
-Vocations- down

No, the Eucharist didn't change. Now let me throw some data your way.

"he share of U.S. adults who say they believe in God, while still remarkably high by comparison with other advanced industrial countries, has declined modestly, from approximately 92% to 89%, since Pew Research Center conducted its first Landscape Study in 2007.1 The share of Americans who say they are "absolutely certain" God exists has dropped more sharply, from 71% in 2007 to 63% in 2014."

https://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/u-s-public-becoming-less-religious/

And that's just 2007 to 2014!

"An analysis of religious trends from 1981 to 2007 in 49 countries containing 60% of the world's population did not find a global resurgence of religionmost high-income countries were becoming less religioushowever, it did show that in 33 of the 49 countries studied, people had become more religious (Norris and Inglehart, 2011). But since 2007, things have changed with surprising speed. From 2007 to 2020, an overwhelming majority (43 out of 49) of these same countries became less religious. This decline in belief is strongest in high-income countries but it is evident across most of the world"

https://blog.oup.com/2020/12/why-is-religion-suddenly-declining/

"He cites British Social Attitudes surveys, which suggest that the number of Anglicans here "fell from 40% of the population in 1983 to 29% in 2004 to 17% last year". "   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-33256561

"Both Protestantism and Catholicism are experiencing losses of population share. Currently, 43% of U.S. adults identify with Protestantism, down from 51% in 2009. And one-in-five adults (20%) are Catholic, down from 23% in 2009."  https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

"On average last year, 36 percent of Americans in ABC News/Washington Post polls identified themselves as members of a Protestant faith, extending a gradual trend down from 50 percent in 2003. That includes an 8-point drop in the number of evangelical white Protestants, an important political group."  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/protestants-decline-religion-sharply-shifting-religious-landscape-poll/story?id=54995663

Those are HUGE declines in absolute numbers - and not just for Catholics. It is a global phenomenon and has nothing to do with Vatican II or changing from TLM to NO. People notice this stuff, and some retreat and some are drawn to more traditional venues like the TLM for comfort. And taking your argument to absurd heights: During the Middle Ages, pretty much 100% of the population was Catholic and practiced the TLM - yet it gave rise to Protestantism and a fall to Catholicism vastly shrinking. How do you explain that? Why couldn't I lay the fault of that at the feet of TLM? You only want to focus on the data from the last few years. Logically, that's not consistent.

First off, I want to say to ALL that love this discussion. It is informative and fun. I love interacting with y'all. Zhukov, you need to IM and we should meet so I can by you a coffee a taco.

Now.... I see your argument. I didn't understand it earlier. I apologize.  It is a good argument.  With that said, it doesn't explain the faithfulness nor the irreverence to the Eucharist in our church as a whole.

I would put a possible answer to world wide belief decline. If our Church is the Prime Arbiter of Christianity..... whe.n it succumbs to ambiguous changes, to worldize it..... may that cause a decline through all Christian denominations?

Yes, the Church has had to fight many heresies and declines... but after the prideful loss of Protestantism... we gained millions more across the globe with the evangelization of the America's, the pacific, Asia by the Spanish & French.... all using the Latin mass.

It will be interesting to see what happens in 20 yrs.

Plus, you said the Eucharist didn't change.... so why the increased irreverence towards it?

Thank you for engaging BTW.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At this point I don't see how anything productive can come out of continuing this, and that's a shame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What doctrine or dogma?

I sure would appreciate an answer.  Plenty of assertions from some in this thread about non-acceptance of V2 without any examples of non-accepted teachings.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Alas and alack, so many things to respond to, but since Tuesday evening I have been sick with who knows what, and my head is foggy as St. Peters's Basilica when the smoke of Satan entered into it. It would be wrong of me to even attempt to go back to page 4 and forward until this head cold or whatever is cleared up.

I wish some of you would be a little more researched, as the tropes and strawmen about what Trads believe have been answered umpteen times over in books, forums, etc; some of the objections have been answered since the very early 1970's, in fact (Michael Davies is happy to be your huckleberry, God rest his soul). It's honestly tiresome.

V2 declared no new doctrine, we are told. To what are we to adhere aside from that which we do? the "spirit" of Vatican 2? What sort of nebulous non-answer is that?

The Traditional Mass was never abrogated (Paul VI would have if he could have, and tried to make it seem as such, but could not). Benedict XVI basically admitted as such in SP and various interviews.

Why, pray tell, are folks like Trent Horn and others never called out for escaping the Novus Ordo Seclo... err, Mass, by running off to the Byzantines? Pursuant to that:

If one is to adhere to Bergoglio, they should understand clearly that Benedict's idea of one Rite w/ two Forms is in fact, moot.

The Motu Proprio is very clear that the Novus ordo is in fact the "unique expression" (only expression) of the Roman Rite. So you need to stop arguing as if we live in an age of hermeneutic continuity. We don't. This is a complete break with Tradition and the sooner people accept that, and stop trying to live in the ambiguous past, the better.

Anyway, off to take more motrin and hope my covid test comes back positive.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I sure would appreciate an answer.  Plenty of assertions from some in this thread about non-acceptance of V2 without any examples of non-accepted teachings.
View Quote

So while everyone else is seeking to defuse the conversation, reconcile differences, and apologize for any harsh tones you just keeping pushing on, huh?

I really do hope that you don't lose sight of the forrest for the trees, because that doesn't help any of us. God Bless.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So while everyone else is seeking to defuse the conversation, reconcile differences, and apologize for any harsh tones you just keeping pushing on, huh?

I really do hope that you don't lose sight of the forrest for the trees, because that doesn't help any of us. God Bless.
View Quote

I mean, it's a simple question.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I mean, it's a simple question.
View Quote

Which I have answered prior, but I will do so again.

My main problem with the question is how it rests on a false premise that some if not most Trads don't reject or object to VII because there were no doctrinal changes. If there were no doctrinal changes, how then could they reject it, so "See, we do not reject VII"?

However, I think it is a straw man set up to avoid the obvious opinions held by some Trads that VII is the origin, the genesis for all of the more "liberal" or "culturally modern" decisions, actions, or mandates that they find have been coming out of the Church since the 1960s. Some of these see it as the first cut that has led to the greater "infection" of Rome, but they can give lip service to being innocent of criticism because, "We never said we rejected and doctrines of VII". Yet, some cannot help but ceaselessly take jabs, sling mud, or condemn VII at every turn, accusing it of being the spring board for the liberal takeover, while still laying claim to not being semi-heretical in their assertions. In this thread alone, look at some of the criticisms; They are so filled with vitriol they would make a Protestant blush.

But by limiting and reframing their position to doctrine alone, they can have their cake and eat it too. In other words, one can, (cowardly and disingenuously IMO) hide behind the mantra, "Trads do not reject any doctrines of VII", while simultaneously indicting it for what they perceive to be the downfall of the "traditional" and "true" Catholic Church. It is a smoke and mirror statement that tries to profess a fealty to the Church while providing a vehicle whereby they can attack it at every turn. It is their scapegoat.

It isn't the doctrines of VII that some Trads object to per se, though I'm sure if pressed there are some of those as well, it is VII's place in Church history and what they perceive to be its principal aim; the modernization and corruption of the Church.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I got a good one for you:

Antopope? God-hating Freemason? Will not comply?
View Quote

Correct. I do not recognize Jorge Bergoglio as the Vicar of Christ.

I recognize Joseph Ratzinger as such.

Would you like to know why, and, would you actually look at the reasons?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The question posed was "Plenty of assertions from some in this thread about non-acceptance of V2 without any examples of non-accepted teachings.". Now granted, you could logically say that none of what I posted technically could be defined as "not accepting the teachings of V2", but that is semantics, pure and simple.
View Quote

Yes, that's my point as well. It's a cop out and a straw man.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Other selected quotes from this thread:

Further proof that the smoke of Satan has not only entered the Church, but that it now sits upon the Chair of Peter.  I will continue to pray for this miserable pope's repentance and conversion, but I will also now pray for a speedy end to his papacy.

It's been Traditionalists who have opposed Bergoilian plans (yeah, VG, I finally said it - but only because Franciscan would be confusing) to further Protestantize the liturgy, grow syncretism and indifferentism, promote homosexuality as holy, disestablish traditional gender roles, etc.

So why do TLM parishes teach the truth and, apparently, most NO parishes don't?

I'll stop here because I don't care to re-read the entire thread. The question posed was "Plenty of assertions from some in this thread about non-acceptance of V2 without any examples of non-accepted teachings.". Now granted, you could logically say that none of what I posted technically could be defined as "not accepting the teachings of V2", but that is semantics, pure and simple. The hatred and vitriol directed at the Pope and the actions ascribed to the church in just the quotes above do not give me the warm fuzzies about someone embracing the Magisterium or its decisions.
View Quote

Did Vatican II define or declare doctrine in an infallible manner?

Yes or no.

It's a simple question.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Which I have answered prior, but I will do so

It isn't the doctrines of VII that some Trads object to per se, though I'm sure if pressed there are some of those as well, it is VII's place in Church history and what they perceive to be its principal aim; the modernization and corruption of the Church.
View Quote

What was the principal aim of Vatican II and howmdomyou measure its success?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think we've definitely reached an impasse and have taken this as far as it can go. Y'all have a good weekend.
View Quote

Impasses are not synonymous with simple lack of comfort in the rhetorical arena.

I hope your weekend is uncomfortable, and beset by the tacks of conscience and curiosity at the odd replies you've received here. For they surely don't mesh with your Church of Nice experience.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What was the principal aim of Vatican II and howmdomyou measure its success?
View Quote

And now you will just side-step the answer to your question, knowing your position is indefensible, and move those little posts over enough to try and divert attention away from your poor statements and actions. You have been doing this from the get go. You're better than that.

It's painfully obvious that this is no more than trying to stick to doctrine alone as a way to piss on VII at every turn while still being able to claim innocence of any wrongdoing. You're better than that.

Ask these questions to many Trads and see if their answers reflect a position of supporting or rejecting VII:

Is VII the origin of the "downfall" of the Church?

Was VII a legitimate council?

Was VII led by or presided over by God?

Do you accept ALL of its mandates as legitimate, despite some of their obviously problematic nature and some clarifications that need to come?

Is Pope Francis the rightful heir to the Seat of St. Peter?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Most of you must have taken the day off today. The thread has moved quite a bit from where I left it yesterday.  I'll address some of the highlights.

Quoted:
Quoted:
That post said nothing about NO. Nothing.

Was Paul wrong to resist Peter?
View Quote

Oh, and your Peter/Paul analogy is a classic straw man. You are not Paul, and you have nothing close to resembling his rights, position, or mandate in Christ's Church or in the larger context of salvation.

At best, you're one of the guys lowering the cripple through the roof so that Jesus could heal him. That's not a bad thing, and that should be enough for you.
View Quote

H46Driver defended the St. Paul example correctly by pointing out that plenty of cardinals and bishops are concerned with the recent pontificate.  However, I think this deserves a little more discussion because it's very relevant today, not as a matter of theory, but disturbingly of practice.  Obedience is indubitably a Christian trait and expectation under the fourth commandment, but unlimited and unreasonable obedience is not.  For example, a child is bound to obey his parents, but not if his parents command him to sin.  Further, obedience without exception is not unlike fideism, which has been condemned multiple times.  One needs not be a bishop to reach certitude of certain fundamental truths, either religious or moral, by virtue of reason.  If a bishop stands in violation of these truths, it is not wrong for a layman to resist him.  In some cases, it would even be an obligation.  More concretely, would you place if a statue of Buddha on a tabernacle if your bishop told you to?  Would you put Pachamama in a basilica?  I would hope your answer would be no to both.  Yet both of these things have happened.

Quoted:

I agree completely, and I think you should pray for many of your Trad brethren because if the posts here are representative of the more rationale elements of the TLM movement, then perhaps there is some truth behind the many calls for concern from the larger Church.
View Quote

I agree completely, and I think you should pray for many of your modernist brethren because if the posts here are representative of the more rational elements of the new order movement...

I am obviously being facetious with my previous sentence to make a point.  I don't actually think that you are a modernist; just insufficiently informed on the subject.  Sure, they are my brethren, but why not say our brethren?  Why drive a wedge?  Also, how do you know that I don't already pray for all Catholics?  Why assume that I don't?

Quoted:

I do not agree with the Pope's actions, and I hope the TLM mass is a part of the Church forever. I do not think that Trads are inherently schismatic, evil, or militant. Unfortunately, I think they are their own worst enemies when it comes to proselytizing for the TLM cause.

With that said, I also think that there should be some pause among TLM adherents when it comes to recognizing and addressing some of the more overzealous elements of the those with a strong "fealty" to the TLM. It could lead to a slippery slope where the language and actions of some TLM people further hardens Rome's approach toward the TLM.

In any event, I'll check myself out of this thread and wish the best for all Catholics.
View Quote

Some of your comments in this thread seem to contradict this post, but I trust you mean what you say in it above.  God bless.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Is VII the origin of the "downfall" of the Church?

Was VII a legitimate council?

Was VII led by or presided over by God?

Do you accept ALL of its mandates as legitimate, despite some of their obviously problematic nature and some clarifications that need to come?

Is Pope Francis the rightful heir to the Seat of St. Peter?
View Quote

What does "downfall" mean? either way, the answer is no; Vatican 2 was the breaking open of the crust where the magma of modernism spewed forth.

It wasn't an ecumenical council, this much we know. It was a "pastoral" council that never defined anything, reaffirmed certain things, and provided ambiguous language that left many with the erroneous idea that it changed things. Some say it did change things, others say it didn't. There is no clear answer, 50+ years on. I simply don't know what to do with that.

See above.

Accept what?

No. Pope Benedict XVI attempted to bifurcate the Papal Throne, which is impossible. Plenty of content here to demonstrate something is wrong in Rome: https://www.barnhardt.biz/the-bergoglian-antipapcy/ ; https://www.amazon.com/Benedict-XVI-Emeritus-Estefan%C3%ADa-Acosta/dp/B08WZLZ1M1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Benedict+XVI%3A+Pope+%22Emeritus%22%3F&qid=1627087184&s=books&sr=1-1
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The reason you're seeing people clamoring for the TLM is because they are in fear, and when people are afraid the retreat back into the comfort that the structure of the TLM provides (and that's where all the growth is coming from).  Sure - the TLM has siphoned off some people from NO masses, and those are the ones that were deeply religious already. You weren't getting people going to the TLM that are wishy-washy about their faith to begin with, for whom even going to mass a couple of times a year is already a burden; you think those people are just dying to sit through a one and a half hour mass in Latin? What a joke.
View Quote

Further proof that you're caricaturizing those who belong to old rite parishes.  It's clear that you don't know many of these folks, but I'm beginning to think that you don't know any.  To use your words, "show me the data" that supports people clamoring for the TLM because they are in fear.  Fear of the Lord, sure.  Fear of the world, no way.  In my small parish alone, I know many people who were wishy-washy about their faith, who have become fervent since coming to the parish.

You want to reinforce the traditional concepts of the church? Go volunteer to teach the Catechism at RCIA, teach kids at an RE program - but don't complain about how bad things are from the pews of your TLM.
View Quote

That is cheap and yet another strawman.  It's like calling someone a racist for no reason.  It doesn't even deign a defense.

For good measure, here's a video by Bishop Baron addressing all of this. I know he's despised among the Trads, but too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tS-1J42jj4

When I think of how the church interacts with the world, THIS interpretation makes sense to me. I can much more see Jesus exhorting all of us to get our hands dirty and reach out to the fringes of society, getting battered and bruised in the process rather than cowering behind the walls of tradition, rigidly putting up walls between man and God in the best tradition of the Pharisees. YMMV, and that's fine with me. I agree with Bishop Baron in his interpretation of Vatican 2 and not yours. Guess we'll have to leave it at that.
View Quote

More cheap shots and strawmen.  Pure Alinsky tactic: pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.  Do you want me to doubt your intelligence, knowledge, or good will?  You cannot retain all three in my opinion after posting this type of garbage (i.e.: putting all, or even the majority, of traditional Catholics in a box of esotericism, shirking works of mercy, and Pharisaical behavior).

Quoted:

-Baptisms - down
-Church attendance- down
-Vocations- down

View Quote

This post deserves a second reading.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#33]
More on to the original topic, I sent a quick email to my Bishop asking him for mercy as he applies Traditionis Custodes.  Who knows if he’ll actually see it, but worth a shot.  Continuing our St. Anne novena for the same intention.

Anyone else contacted your Bishop and heard anything back?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is actually a very good point.  People even left Christ Himself when he walked on this earth.  Our free will is still in effect.  For what it's worth, I don't believe the new Mass is the root cause of our problems; I believe it is a symptom.  On the other hand, I don't know anyone who claims that the traditional Mass is a panacea against all heresies and apostasy.  I think the difference between your example and that of skid2041 is that the speed with each the Church changed for the worst within the next 5-10 years after the Second Vatican Council.  In the history of the Church, that is a very short amount of time.  Is that not suspect?  Further, the new Mass itself in over 90% of parishes in the US (and that's a conservative estimate) is not compatible with the documents of the Second Vatican Council.  I could see perhaps some misunderstandings or renegades here and there, but for the majority to depart so far within such a short amount of time is too much to be a coincidence.  Is that not suspect?

Quoted:
I want to extend an olive branch to those who I have argued with most vociferously. Know that you guys are brothers in Christ and we are all on the same side. We all want the same thing and there's nothing wrong with a healthy disagreement about how to accomplish that as long as it doesn't get personal. In some of my arguments, I was probably less than charitable and for that I apologize.
View Quote

Then retract your statement about traditionalists wanting to shut themselves in behind walls, not spread the Gospel, and not engage in works of mercy.  That was the equivalent of "Conservatives don't care about the poor."

Quoted:
About making the church more "worldly": Again, this is just my belief, but I think that it was the right thing to do. The church now actively has to compete for interest. Going back to the the spreading of the faith to other cultures: How much easier is it to get other people to embrace the faith by making the celebration of mass more local, for lack of a better word, assuming you don't change the meaning of the mass? What's wrong with the church going out to meet the people? It's a better way to get more of them to come, wouldn't you think? We are an apostolic church, are we not? I kind of see this whole argument as "we remain aloof and you have to come to us" versus "we know things are tough and we're coming out to reach you" kind of deal.

On a personal note: I went to church from my earliest memories. We're talking about a church whose foundations were laid in the 14th century. Going to mass, I remember them playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue when I walked in. Yes - that sort of mass inspires a certain reverence. When I moved to the US I was flabbergasted - but eventually I also saw that there are a lot of people who are drawn to what I don't like and are more likely to reject a "stuffy" mass - and it doesn't have anything to do with the level of faith. I have Protestant friends who are some of the best people I know and their church service apparently is more akin to a concert.

Bonus pics of my first Communion mass from 1976:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38579/1976-April_First_Communion_0-2025178.jpg

I share your pain about the state of the church, but the reasons for that are varied and complex. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer but I do know (or I'm pretty sure I know) that the answer isn't "going back".
View Quote

I believe you misunderstand the concept of worldliness (at least I hope you do).  No one is saying we have to be aloof (another strawman).  

What follows is against the concept of wordliness, not necessarily your understanding of it.  We contend with the flesh, the world, and the devil (Angelic Doctor and Council of Trent).  We cannot contend with the world by becoming more like it anymore than we can contend with the devil by becoming more like him.  The Church does not appeal to the world by becoming like it (this has nothing to do with poverty and reaching out by the way), but by offering what it doesn't have, which is the uncompromising Truth and Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@skid2041

I just watched the video below. The youth were polled - along with their belief in the real presence - about the REASON. It turns out that they intellectually reject the teaching. The segment of the video is very short in the beginning. Unfortunately, the discussion about "what do we do about it?" was too short for my liking. His answer was 1) Catechisis, and 2) More reverence for the blessed sacrament. He does reject the NO as being a singular fault though, but leaves open the idea that we could do more to treat it as it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYA2xhqp26s
View Quote

Thank you.

Again, my solution is to return to Tradition. We have both stated that there is a problem. Return to the reverence of the Traditional Ancient Mass, to give God His 1st Commandment due. Once we have that, we start working on all the other things. Again,  I appreciate your discussion. But, like the 8 years in Catholic school and since. The vehement response to ANY question of Vatican II is strange and off putting. It makes me pause everytime and say, "Has Vatican II become the Church? Was nothing that occurred prior valid?" This we know is not the case because The Catholic Church works the other direction. The further from the deposit of Faith, the more we must trust Tradition, rather then "New and improved teachings."  

" So then, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye were taught, whether by word, or by epistle of ours." -2 Thessalonians 2:15

This is why Tradition came before the Holy Scriptures were even written.

No one will answer for Vatican II AND they will not accept debate about it.... very strange.

On a side note. I respect Bishop Barron as a man of the Cloth. He has Gifts and abilities to bring the Sacraments to us. With that said, he is very wishy-washy on theology. Plus, I will admit I do have a bias towards the way he has treated those in his diocese. Which my parents and family belong.

My personal search has been to find a better way for my children to see in action the Sacrifice of the Mass. This is happening for my family. But, again, the NOM is what brought me to this point. In that, I am in debt to God and my parents.

But with your data points, the world is losing Faith massively. Kinda conveniently start around the time of the loss of the Traditional Rite.

That's what I got. I love God's Church & Love our Holy Father and, God Willing I will die in It's Bossom.

@Zhukov

-still want to meet up for coffee and Tacos.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Correct. I do not recognize Jorge Bergoglio as the Vicar of Christ.

I recognize Joseph Ratzinger as such.

Would you like to know why, and, would you actually look at the reasons?
View Quote

I love you brother. But here is where I depart from you. Pope Francis is the Holy Father. I don't like his actions, but we have lived through far worse.

I will admit that Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has confused so much.

Thank you for your honesty.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The further from the deposit of Faith, the more we must trust Tradition, rather then "New and improved teachings."  

" So then, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye were taught, whether by word, or by epistle of ours." -2 Thessalonians 2:15
View Quote

Come on. This is about as weak as trying to use sola scriptura for justification of new ideologies. 2 Thessalonians 2:15 was written WAY before the TLM. Come on.

Not to mention that Sacred Scripture is most likely speaking about Traditions here, not traditions. The TLM is a tradition.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I love you brother. But here is where I depart from you. Pope Francis is the Holy Father. I don't like his actions, but we have lived through far worse.

Thank you for your honesty.
View Quote

Yup. I side with cavsct on most everything, but here too is where I draw the line.

When even guys like Dr. Taylor Marshall and Padre Peregrino refuse to call him invalid, and claim doing so places one in schism, then I know this is a step that's too far for my comfort.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Come on. This is about as weak as trying to use sola scriptura for justification of new ideologies. 2 Thessalonians 2:15 was written WAY before the TLM. Come on.

Not to mention that Sacred Scripture is most likely speaking about Traditions here, not traditions. The TLM is a tradition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The further from the deposit of Faith, the more we must trust Tradition, rather then "New and improved teachings."  

VG..... Seriously? It HAS to do with Tradition! Come on!! You are smarter than this!

Sola Scriptura? Seriously? Wow......
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
More on to the original topic, I sent a quick email to my Bishop asking him for mercy as he applies Traditionis Custodes.  Who knows if he’ll actually see it, but worth a shot.  Continuing our St. Anne novena for the same intention.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I did not ask, but those in the know say that he has elected to wait before making a permanent decision; therefore, status quo for now.  This seems to be the case for most bishops.  There are some who took immediate adverse action and others, like Abp. Cordileone, who essentially said that they will not comply (in nicer words).

Bp. Schneider, of course, nailed it as he always does.  And Diane Montagna did an awesome job as always.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger spoke about the limitation of the powers of the pope regarding the liturgy, with this illuminating explanation: “The pope is not an absolute monarch whose will is law; rather, he is the guardian of the authentic Tradition and, thereby, the premier guarantor of obedience. He cannot do as he likes, and he is thereby able to oppose those people who, for their part, want to do whatever comes into their head. His rule is not that of arbitrary power, but that of obedience in faith. That is why, with respect to the Liturgy, he has the task of a gardener, not that of a technician who builds new machines and throws the old ones on the junk-pile. The “rite”, that form of celebration and prayer which has ripened in the faith and the life of the Church, is a condensed form of living Tradition in which the sphere using that rite expresses the whole of its faith and its prayer, and thus at the same time the fellowship of generations one with another becomes something we can experience, fellowship with the people who pray before us and after us. Thus the rite is something of benefit that is given to the Church, a living form of paradosis, the handing-on of Tradition.”
Pope Francis’s new Motu Proprio is ultimately a pyrrhic victory and will have a boomerang effect. The many Catholic families and ever-growing number of young people and priests—particularly young priests—who attend the traditional Mass, will not be able to allow their conscience to be violated by such a drastic administrative act. Telling these faithful and priests that they must simply be obedient to these norms will ultimately not work with them, because they understand that a call to obedience loses its power when the aim is to suppress the traditional form of the liturgy, the great liturgical treasure of the Roman Church.

https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/index.php/articles/item/5493-tradition-betrayed-diane-montagna-interviews-bishop-schneider-on-traditionis-custodes/

Edited to fix the Bp. Schneider quote.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I did not ask, but those in the know say that he has elected to wait before making a permanent decision; therefore, status quo for now.  This seems to be the case for most bishops.  There are some who took immediate adverse action and others, like Abp. Cordileone, who essentially said that they will not comply (in nicer words).

Bp. Schneider, of course, nailed it as he always does.  And Diane Montagna did an awesome job as always.

https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/index.php/articles/item/5493-tradition-betrayed-diane-montagna-interviews-bishop-schneider-on-traditionis-custodes/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger spoke about the limitation of the powers of the pope regarding the liturgy, with this illuminating explanation: “The pope is not an absolute monarch whose will is law; rather, he is the guardian of the authentic Tradition and, thereby, the premier guarantor of obedience. He cannot do as he likes, and he is thereby able to oppose those people who, for their part, want to do whatever comes into their head. His rule is not that of arbitrary power, but that of obedience in faith. That is why, with respect to the Liturgy, he has the task of a gardener, not that of a technician who builds new machines and throws the old ones on the junk-pile. The “rite”, that form of celebration and prayer which has ripened in the faith and the life of the Church, is a condensed form of living Tradition in which the sphere using that rite expresses the whole of its faith and its prayer, and thus at the same time the fellowship of generations one with another becomes something we can experience, fellowship with the people who pray before us and after us. Thus the rite is something of benefit that is given to the Church, a living form of paradosis, the handing-on of Tradition.”
Pope Francis’s new Motu Proprio is ultimately a pyrrhic victory and will have a boomerang effect. The many Catholic families and ever-growing number of young people and priests—particularly young priests—who attend the traditional Mass, will not be able to allow their conscience to be violated by such a drastic administrative act. Telling these faithful and priests that they must simply be obedient to these norms will ultimately not work with them, because they understand that a call to obedience loses its power when the aim is to suppress the traditional form of the liturgy, the great liturgical treasure of the Roman Church.

Yes, so far our is wait an see. We still have tge TLM in the diocese for now.

To the article: Exactly!!! Did we give up on Subsidiarity or something? Sheesh....
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And now you will just side-step the answer to your question, knowing your position is indefensible, and move those little posts over enough to try and divert attention away from your poor statements and actions. You have been doing this from the get go. You're better than that.

It's painfully obvious that this is no more than trying to stick to doctrine alone as a way to piss on VII at every turn while still being able to claim innocence of any wrongdoing. You're better than that.
View Quote

Sir, this is how discussion and dialogue work. You wrote that trads misperceive the purpose of Vatican II.

I ask what the purpose of Vatican 2 was and how you would measure its success.  You reply with an ad homenim.  

That isn't sidestepping; it's discussion.  Saying someone is wrong and then refusing to answer what your opinion of "right" is...
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Now granted, you could logically say that none of what I posted technically could be defined as "not accepting the teachings of V2", but that is semantics, pure and simple. The hatred and vitriol directed at the Pope and the actions ascribed to the church in just the quotes above do not give me the warm fuzzies about someone embracing the Magisterium or its decisions.
View Quote

I was being deductive because V2 was a multi-year, wide ranging council that covered a lot of ground. Saying "do you accept V2 is like saying do you accept America?  Yeah, I love my country, the constitution, its freedoms, but that doesn't mean that I love legal abortion, unrestricted immigration, and its secularization.

People keepmsaying I oppose V2 without being able to specify a single doctrine I allegedly oppose.  Ok, from there we go to tone. Trads oppose the "purpose of V2". Ok, i ask what the purpose of V2 is.  "Nope, that's sidestepping"

TC is a papal document. Do I embrace all of the things Pope Francis has done?

I do not embrace bowing down before pagan idols and placing them in Catholic sanctuaries
I do not embrace the promotion of sexual abusers in the Church hierarchy
I do not embrace the idea that God will the diversity of religions
I do not embrace admitting those living in a state of ongoing grave sin to the Eucharist without penance and repentance
I do not embrace the idea that the CCP, a gov that mandated a 1 child policy, "best realizes Catholic social teaching"
I do not embrace turning over control of the Catholic Church in China to the CCP

Does that make me schismatic?  Once upon a time, that just made me Catholic

I made an angry statement about the pope on the day he used a chainsaw on traditionalists when a scalpel would have served.  Does that make me schismatic?  Or maybe just an Irish Catholic.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sir, this is how discussion and dialogue work. You wrote that trads misperceive the purpose of Vatican II.

I ask what the purpose of Vatican 2 was and how you would measure its success.  You reply with an ad homenim.  

That isn't sidestepping; it's discussion.  Saying someone is wrong and then refusing to answer what your opinion of "right" is...
View Quote

It's only a discussion if both sides answer questions, not if one side answers and the other just side-steps, which is what you do.  

Go back and reread this thread. You don't answer anything, but you sure ask a lot of questions...and demand answers. That's not how a discussion works.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does that make me schismatic?  Once upon a time, that just made me Catholic

I made an angry statement about the pope on the day he used a chainsaw on traditionalists when a scalpel would have served.  Does that make me schismatic?  Or maybe just an Irish Catholic.  

View Quote

Again, you're only answering to the points you think best paint your tirade against the current Church in a righteous light. "I only oppose xyz...", which are the things we all do. "See, my anger is justified".

What you've been "called out" on, however, is advocating the superiority of TLM by shitting on VII, the contemporary Church, and anything that sniffs of "But it's not TLM!", with duplicitous, snide, and back-handed remarks. Lot's of snarky, puerile, and underhanded jabs aimed at the Church/Pope/"Anything not TLM", something I wouldn't have expected from you.

Bottom line; You can pray all the rosaries, novena's, liturgies of the hours, and any other thing you think defines "Catholicism", but when you spend the rest of the time shitting on the Church then all of the above are pointless. No amount of incense, Missals, kneeling, or singing in Latin is going to make you a "true Catholic" if you don't display a reverence to His Church and its leaders that is proportional to His mandate.

You can fight as hard as you want for the TLM (and I hope to God it is a part of our Church forever), but you need to do so by watching your tone, staying in your lane, and knowing your role in the Church...and this isn't it.

You don't have to agree with the Pope, and you don't have to stay quiet, but you DO have to be respectful of his office. What is it you military guys like to say, "You salute the rank, not the man?". You'd do well to remember that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

You replied to it

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Pope-Francis-Issues-new-restrictions-on-Latin-Mass/135-2470201/?page=4#i93847186

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#48]

How is this a surprise? I said "duplicitous" didn't I?

Sure, anyone can say something...once....but all of their subsequent actions are what really tell the story.

It's not what is "said", but what is "done" that defines a man.

This is what's playing out in here.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is where I stated it on page 1

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's only a discussion if both sides answer questions, not if one side answers and the other just side-steps, which is what you do.  

Go back and reread this thread. You don't answer anything, but you sure ask a lot of questions...and demand answers. That's not how a discussion works.
View Quote

Question:  why do you reject V2 and the NOM
Amswer: I don't reject V2 or the NOM. I prefer TLM, but NOM is valid

Attachment Attached File
Page / 11
Top Top