Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I posted shop pics a while back.  That old bastard retired a couple weeks ago, so changes have been made.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The magnet fell off the fill plug on a D8. So far the only salvageable parts are the spindle, hub, inner planetary carrier, and ring gear (pending a good cleaning to check for damage).  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
The magnet fell off the fill plug on a D8. So far the only salvageable parts are the spindle, hub, inner planetary carrier, and ring gear (pending a good cleaning to check for damage).  
View Quote

Oh my.

Those seem to be pretty well on the plugs. How many hours?  Shock loading knock it loose?

I have so many wtfs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

Oh my.

Those seem to be pretty well on the plugs. How many hours?  Shock loading knock it loose?

I have so many wtfs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh my.

I have so many wtfs.

Dunno. The socket where the magnet sits in the plug looks like it just slid out. Nothing is torn or distorted like something else let go and took it out. Not sure on the hours, field guy pulled it off and brought it to me. It did have a CCR done almost exactly a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Dunno. The socket where the magnet sits in the plug looks like it just slid out. Nothing is torn or distorted like something else let go and took it out. Not sure on the hours, field guy pulled it off and brought it to me. It did have a CCR done almost exactly a year ago.
View Quote

You guys have cooler things happen than I do.

On a side note, is there a part number for a wrench to hold the parking brake cylinder on a 745?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]

On a side note, is there a part number for a wrench to hold the parking brake cylinder on a 745?
View All Quotes

TFK? I'm not seeing anything for that prefix as far as tooling. Doesn't look like a serviceable component though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]

TFK? I'm not seeing anything for that prefix as far as tooling. Doesn't look like a serviceable component though.
View Quote

3t6?

I’ll have to check tomorrow. There’s a small hydraulic hose that connects to the chromed cylinder on the rear parking break, and it keeps blowing the o-ring right there.  I can’t tighten the hose without something to keep the cylinder from rotating.  Damn truck pees out it’s hydraulic oil every day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]

3t6?

I’ll have to check tomorrow. There’s a small hydraulic hose that connects to the chromed cylinder on the rear parking break, and it keeps blowing the o-ring right there.  I can’t tighten the hose without something to keep the cylinder from rotating.  Damn truck pees out it’s hydraulic oil every day.
View All Quotes

3t6?

Same setup, so no tooling I see. Clamp the rod with some padding?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

3t6?

The rod is “out” when the parking brake is “off”, and hydraulic oil is under pressure through the hose in question. When the brake is “on” the rod is “in,” with nothing really to grab on. There are two dimples on either side of the fitting on the face of the rod that look like they’re designed for a very flat spanner to hold everything still. I’m about to make something. I’ve been using a set of snap ring pliers, but those kinda get in the way of the wrench.  Might take some pics tomorrow, because I’m not sure I’m articulating everything correctly.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Tighten it up and buzz a tack weld on it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Bruh.

I’m tempted.

These haul trucks are always coming up with something.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Bruh.

I’m tempted.

View All Quotes

Bruh.

I’m tempted.

I may jinx myself (but that may be a good thing since we're still a bit slow), but we never see the haul trucks from any of the landfills. 2 construction companies in the area are the only ones we see. And those have been mostly trouble-free (knock on wood transmission case). I'd gladly take some haul truck transmission action right now. It's all fairly easy but time-consuming, which is what we need.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Meplat:

I cannot see how MB thinks a non ICE Sprinter would work.
We had some in our fleet, it was not uncommon to refuel them 3+ times a week due to the areas we cover.
No way that will work with an EV.
View Quote

Shit, we fill our Sprinter ambulances twice a day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Bruh.

I’m tempted.

View Quote

Buzz it with a flat tool in an air hammer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]

The rod is “out” when the parking brake is “off”, and hydraulic oil is under pressure through the hose in question. When the brake is “on” the rod is “in,” with nothing really to grab on. There are two dimples on either side of the fitting on the face of the rod that look like they’re designed for a very flat spanner to hold everything still. I’m about to make something. I’ve been using a set of snap ring pliers, but those kinda get in the way of the wrench.  Might take some pics tomorrow, because I’m not sure I’m articulating everything correctly.

View Quote

It’ll be a two man job, and don’t let the safety man see, but put your new seal in and snug the fitting as best you can, have someone stand on service brakes and release park brake then tighten it up while it’s under tension and can’t move. I haven’t worked on a 745 newer than a tfk? though so I’m not sure exactly what that setup looks like.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Borked shit

Not borked shit

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Borked shit

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]

I see Cat is still using the consumer for R&D.  Stepped planetaries, what’ll they think of next?

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]

I see Cat is still using the consumer for R&D.  Stepped planetaries, what’ll they think of next?

View All Quotes

Its the new hotness.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Our new parts boxes. No white collar people allowed.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

https://i.imgur.com/8IWMJXd_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

Probably a good idea.

Paccar has "expiration times" on some of their parts. They must be installed within a certain time of opening the packaging. And it wasn't just for something like a seal, I remember some sensor having a 4-hour install by time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#22]

https://i.imgur.com/8IWMJXd_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

You should randomly fill in dresses on the figures on the left.  I bet it would mostly cause chuckles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]

You should randomly fill in dresses on the figures on the left.  I bet it would mostly cause chuckles.
View Quote

Stop: Women with swords and mechanics ahead.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#24]
So, back in February, I had a shop kitty. Made a GD thread about her.
Attachment Attached File

A couple months later, I took her to the vet, got her shots and had her spayed.  She now lives with me.
Attachment Attached File

No good deed, as it were.  Have another shop kitty.  But, she’s a single mom.
Attachment Attached File

Thankfully, I have all the kittens spoken for.  

Look at this bastard!
Attachment Attached File

Now, I just need to remember to call animal control and see about a free check up and spay, seein as how I’d like to keep her on city property. She seems to like the shop.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#25]

The EV Sprinter has been around, we should be officially getting it for 2024. The range is like 74 miles or 90 with the "extended battery". They're saying it meets the daily needs of 95% of customers that would be interested in the van? Sounds like a made up statistic. "A Ducati meets the needs of 100% of people who are interested in a Ducati"

The 642 is officially done, 15 years I believe? 7 speed is done as well. 2 diesels and 1 gas next year, all 4 cylinders, all 9 speed transmissions. 4wd goes to AWD with a new transfer case and front diff.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Meplat:

I cannot see how MB thinks a non ICE Sprinter would work.
We had some in our fleet, it was not uncommon to refuel them 3+ times a week due to the areas we cover.
No way that will work with an EV.

The EV Sprinter has been around, we should be officially getting it for 2024. The range is like 74 miles or 90 with the "extended battery". They're saying it meets the daily needs of 95% of customers that would be interested in the van? Sounds like a made up statistic. "A Ducati meets the needs of 100% of people who are interested in a Ducati"

The 642 is officially done, 15 years I believe? 7 speed is done as well. 2 diesels and 1 gas next year, all 4 cylinders, all 9 speed transmissions. 4wd goes to AWD with a new transfer case and front diff.

The 4 bangers in my fleet were actually pretty reliable. I had one that had close to 400K in like 3.5 years and it finally just wouldn't start any more.

One day my manager and senior manager stopped by unannounced. I was in the office filthy from head to toe from wrestling with a turbo replacement/oil cooler reseal on a 642. I had my feet up on the desk and was drinking a cold Coke Zero.

Manager... "Chris, it isn't planned break time, why are you sitting in the office?"

Me in a very loud pissed off voice... "Because if I don't stop and fucking relax, I'm either going to push that motherfucking piece of shit Sprinter into the parking lot and light it on fire or push my motherfucking toolbox into the parking lot, call a tow truck to move my box and take the job I was offered at the local Caterpillar dealer. Fuck that piece of shit."

Senior manager  "Hey Chris, why not get cleaned up and put on a clean uniform and I'll buy us all breakfast. I'm sure you can find some paperwork that needs done to finish out the day"

I always liked working for him...

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#26]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

The 4 bangers in my fleet were actually pretty reliable. I had one that had close to 400K in like 3.5 years and it finally just wouldn't start any more.

One day my manager and senior manager stopped by unannounced. I was in the office filthy from head to toe from wrestling with a turbo replacement/oil cooler reseal on a 642. I had my feet up on the desk and was drinking a cold Coke Zero.

Manager... "Chris, it isn't planned break time, why are you sitting in the office?"

Me in a very loud pissed off voice... "Because if I don't stop and fucking relax, I'm either going to push that motherfucking piece of shit Sprinter into the parking lot and light it on fire or push my motherfucking toolbox into the parking lot, call a tow truck to move my box and take the job I was offered at the local Caterpillar dealer. Fuck that piece of shit."

Senior manager  "Hey Chris, why not get cleaned up and put on a clean uniform and I'll buy us all breakfast. I'm sure you can find some paperwork that needs done to finish out the day"

I always liked working for him...

View Quote

My days are fuck this piece of shit Sprinter, I better hurry to get done so I can pull in the next piece of shit Sprinter. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

The 4 cylinder diesels are much more reliable, really just the coolant in the vacuum system issues, intake manifolds, oil leaks and broken DPFs on the older vans.

The new 4 cylinder diesel has more HP and torque than the 642, plus a 9 speed transmission. Should be great, we’ll see how they feel loaded up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m still alive. We are busy as ever. Been doing assemblies with a new guy and a newer guy. Seems like a good trend lately, us selling more equipment than the other guys that is.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#28]
So, back in February, I had a shop kitty. Made a GD thread about her.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/3138F9CE-4A7E-4C27-A6A7-A38FD3A6AD4D_jpe-2537229.JPG
A couple months later, I took her to the vet, got her shots and had her spayed.  She now lives with me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/image_jpg-2537231.JPG

No good deed, as it were.  Have another shop kitty.  But, she’s a single mom.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/9FD8BBA5-CF87-47DB-A3ED-0833DF726874_jpe-2537233.JPG
Thankfully, I have all the kittens spoken for.  

Look at this bastard!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/E1B09F40-7593-46FD-86C8-23964FA89257_jpe-2537234.JPG

Now, I just need to remember to call animal control and see about a free check up and spay, seein as how I’d like to keep her on city property. She seems to like the shop.
View Quote

I love trash kitties. They’re on a whole different level of IDGAF.

Good on you for actually caring for them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chicken_rider] [#29]
Need  to post this somewhere. My gm gets a call this morning that when a customer brought her car in last Thursday a photo album of her kids “disappeared “ from her trunk. She put it in there 6 months ago and doesn’t remember the last time she saw it but is certain I took it. I know I went no where near the trunk and management watched the shop videos and police are supposed to come watch them. Seriously ? Fuck you. I’m sure when she finds it she’s gonna call back and apologize
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:

I love trash kitties. They’re on a whole different level of IDGAF.

Good on you for actually caring for them.
View Quote

The white one, Skidmark, is the sweetest damn cat I’ve ever had. She comes to her name and wants love all the time.

The black one we’ve named Kamala.  I’ll come out of pocket for spay and shots, and give her the best life possible in our shop.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By chicken_rider:
Need  to post this somewhere. My gm gets a call this morning that when a customer brought her car in last Thursday a photo album of her kids “disappeared “ from her trunk. She put it in there 6 months ago and doesn’t remember the last time she saw it but is certain I took it. I know I went no where near the trunk and management watched the shop videos and police are supposed to come watch them. Seriously ? Fuck you. I’m sure when she finds it she’s gonna call back and apologize
View Quote

Why the fuck would anyone steal a photo album?? She’ll find that shit in her hall closet next year and never think about who she’s accused.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#32]
At first I laughed it off because I’ve “stolen” change , tools, clothes, ,keys, cds, but after a few hours I had to approach management again to say I am very uncomfortable because I feel she’s accusing me of being a pedo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#33]
At first I laughed it off because I’ve “stolen” change , tools, clothes, ,keys, cds, but after a few hours I had to approach management again to say I am very uncomfortable because I feel she’s accusing me of being a pedo.
View Quote

I mean chicken rider lends itself to more beastiality than anything…..
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Chasing a SCR communication fault today, pulled the driver seat and found a stacked full wallet jammed between the parking brake handle/carpet/trim. Took that bitch out, showed it to the camera and walked it across the street to get locked in the safe.

Nope. Not today mister “you stole my $20”
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone mess with/own the uScope from AES Wave? Been wanting a scope but I'm not dropping the 1.3k+ the Fluke 123B goes for (our shop is supposed to buy one for us but still hasn't).
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone mess with/own the uScope from AES Wave? Been wanting a scope but I'm not dropping the 1.3k+ the Fluke 123B goes for (our shop is supposed to buy one for us but still hasn't).
View Quote
No experience with that brand, but Pico makes some good stuff. This I one that one of my automotive guys swears by. He said you need to buy leads and probes to go with it.

FYI, I barely know how or when to use a scope, so I rely on my light duty guys for this info...

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
No experience with that brand, but Pico makes some good stuff. This I one that one of my automotive guys swears by. He said you need to buy leads and probes to go with it.

FYI, I barely know how or when to use a scope, so I rely on my light duty guys for this info...

www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZMRZ3M
View Quote
And in thinking about it, I may have linked the wrong model. I have the right brand. It's been a while since we talked about buying more scopes, and my rememberer is stuck in low range at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

My "need" for one is pretty low, but it would be kinda useful for a few things we run into. I think at that price point it won't break my heart if it's something that rarely gets used as opposed to a $1k+ setup.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#39]

My "need" for one is pretty low, but it would be kinda useful for a few things we run into. I think at that price point it won't break my heart if it's something that rarely gets used as opposed to a $1k+ setup.
View Quote

Our Pico kit with all the leads and NVH kit is multiple thousands of dollars and gets used basically never. They tell you at school it’s so good you’ll use it instead of a DVOM. Yeah, sure I will.

Engineering had to come out and document a new van that had a noise. We admit it’s a noise, but Benz says it’s normal operation. Spent hours moving the pickup around just to print two little graphs, “see this one here is taller for a shorter portion than this one here so we know the noise is from the transmission and not the differential”. No shit, I could have told you that a week ago with $200 chassis ears.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Our Pico kit with all the leads and NVH kit is multiple thousands of dollars and gets used basically never. They tell you at school it's so good you'll use it instead of a DVOM. Yeah, sure I will.

Engineering had to come out and document a new van that had a noise. We admit it's a noise, but Benz says it's normal operation. Spent hours moving the pickup around just to print two little graphs, "see this one here is taller for a shorter portion than this one here so we know the noise is from the transmission and not the differential". No shit, I could have told you that a week ago with $200 chassis ears.
View Quote
That's been my experience with scopes as well. I might not be able to prove the sensor is bad with my dvom, but I damn sure can prove everything else is correct and rule out all other possibilities in about the same amount of time it takes me to setup and use the scope.
When I worked for Kenworth, we had a new ISX15 (back when the ISX just came out) with a fuel pressure fault and rough run issues. I proved everything else out as good, and tried to warranty the pressure sensor. The motor was so new we didn't have any in stock, and Cummins was only selling them for a truck down situation.
Had to put a scope on it and show them that it was not throwing a linear line as pressure rose. Took me all damn day 9f messing with it to get a graph they liked before they would cover the sensor, and then I only got 1.2hrs for it all.
I've probably used a scope 3 or 4 times since, maybe 2 of those were really necessary.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:33:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#41]
There are times a scope is necessary, especially getting into flexray and checking sensor outputs. The problem is, that's just not what we see in the real world and no one is paying a flatrate tech appropriate time to check ignition scopes for a current fault that says "ignition coil cylinder 4 has a malfunction". We aren't big enough for a salary foreman, let alone a salary diagnostic tech.

Right parking brake arm spit the pin out into parking brake/tone ring land. Knocked a few teeth off the tone ring and dropped the van to limp mode. We don't have the tools to rebuild a full float hub, so complete axle it is. Hub extension to hub extension and all new brakes. Not a bad deal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Goodyear eagle runflats create a 222 hz noise at 80mph.  

Client had us install new tires on this visit, as well as complain about this noise.  The tires were just installed, so it can't be those right?  

After it had a differential installed, and a carrier bearing, it was dumped on me.  I tried a wheel bearing because it seems a bit louder coasting than when accelerating, like loading the front end lightly does the trick.  It only makes this noise at 79-81mph.  Its kinda hard to do much at that speed.  Pico NVH was of no help here.  

I finally found another car with different tires and swapped them over, its fixed.  Opened PTSS files and found loads of cases about these tires.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Goodyear eagle runflats create a 222 hz noise at 80mph.  

Client had us install new tires on this visit, as well as complain about this noise.  The tires were just installed, so it can't be those right?  

After it had a differential installed, and a carrier bearing, it was dumped on me.  I tried a wheel bearing because it seems a bit louder coasting than when accelerating, like loading the front end lightly does the trick.  It only makes this noise at 79-81mph.  Its kinda hard to do much at that speed.  Pico NVH was of no help here.  

I finally found another car with different tires and swapped them over, its fixed.  Opened PTSS files and found loads of cases about these tires.
View Quote

Are those the ones that come on the E with the “noise reduction” option? We had one with the additional glass and sound deadening that was louder than a normal E with good tires. He was pissed, PTSS said normal operation.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Over ambitious crew leaders decided to move the tipper right before lunch. Then, spent a couple minutes trying to figure out why the hydraulics weren’t working properly.

Attachment Attached File

Now, we’re not dumping shit until I can get a hose made and find 150 gallons of AW all-temp.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Just wrap it in rags and zip ties so you can just get it through the shift.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Just wrap it in rags and zip ties so you can just get it through the shift.
View Quote

Send it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Are those the ones that come on the E with the “noise reduction” option? We had one with the additional glass and sound deadening that was louder than a normal E with good tires. He was pissed, PTSS said normal operation.
View Quote

Dunno, but they stopped putting the noise reduction tires on the 167 because the foam comes loose and balls up inside the tire.  

MSRP on the new G63 4x4 that has lower specs than the original is 100K more at $350K per example.  Fuck. That.    A fleet of surplus military vehicles that are less comfortable but certainly more capable would be my choice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I paid 130k for my service truck in mid 2018, buddy just ordered a similar setup for $176k because it was one of the last 22 models. 2023 trucks are supposed to be going up 10k on the chassis and 10k on the box.

This is ridiculous
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
I paid 130k for my service truck in mid 2018, buddy just ordered a similar setup for $176k because it was one of the last 22 models. 2023 trucks are supposed to be going up 10k on the chassis and 10k on the box.

This is ridiculous
View Quote

Jeebus
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:

This is ridiculous
View Quote
We are down grading from IMT boxes to knaphides because the cost increases are so drastic.
Also going to International CV chassis because they are cheaper than F550s and Ram 5500s.
It's enough $$ we can afford 4 more trucks this year vs staying with the F550 and IMT combo.
I'm going to miss the IMTs, they are super nice bodies.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top