Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Really long story short, guy came in with a tuned Z06 wanting to get his supercharger system vacuum bled and filled under warranty and referenced a bulletin for it being short filled from the factory. I don’t find the bulletin. Contact technical assistance about it. Boom his powertrain warranty is voided now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the door control module on the previously mentioned silveraydo  require programming if it is replaced?  Identifix isn't clear in that regard but that part was listed  as fixing the bulk of them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jeep450:
Really long story short, guy came in with a tuned Z06 wanting to get his supercharger system vacuum bled and filled under warranty and referenced a bulletin for it being short filled from the factory. I don’t find the bulletin. Contact technical assistance about it. Boom his powertrain warranty is voided now.
View Quote
was the super charger factory?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:42:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#4]
Originally Posted By Sev89:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yes but the tune and the underdrive pulley was not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
How does GM know any of that stuff is modified?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
How does GM know any of that stuff is modified?
View Quote
I can plug my Tech 2 and GDS2 to a vehicle and tell if the software had. Been 'tuned' or tweaked.

With my GDS2 I can even pull the files and send them to GM.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I get that but if it was in fact unfilled from the factory that's still a factory issue and not the fault of the tune and pulley.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I get that but if it was in fact unfilled from the factory that's still a factory issue and not the fault of the tune and pulley.
View Quote
There is a bulletin for that but it wasn't for his car, like he claimed. He came in saying "vac and fill my cooling system, there is a bulletin about it coming from the factory underfilled and it is warranty". I couldn't find the bulletin for his car that he was saying and had to ask about it.

If you don't/have not worked for a dealer, you don't take your car in and do what he done stock or not. That's not how warranty works.

Root cause of his coolant leak was a hole in the supercharger cooling system radiator anyway. That is why it was empty this time. It would not have been covered by warranty anyway.

If he had been honest about it on the front end and said what he had done about tuning it and said he would pay for it there would not have been a need for me to hunt for a bulletin that he said was out there that was not. I would not have contacted tech support looking for it. They would not have asked for calibrations. All because he wanted the vac and fill under warranty.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Does the door control module on the previously mentioned silveraydo  require programming if it is replaced?  Identifix isn't clear in that regard but that part was listed  as fixing the bulk of them.
View Quote
If you are talking about the driver door master window switch that should be plug and play.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe that is what I am talking about.  Thank you.  Looks like $130.

I swear that the thing was heating the backrest without turning the light on when I was driving home today.

I know that when my dad owned it he spent a great deal of money on that issue and ultimately unplugging  heating element was how the dealership left it.

I plugged it in and sometimes it's perfectly fine.  Lately it seems that I cannot keep it off.  Or even have it hold a setting.

Fantastic truck otherwise.  I wish it had more power but it pulls the boat fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Driving to Dallas today for test tomorrow. Taking my hands on HVAC test for gm master certification. Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Driving to Dallas today for test tomorrow. Taking my hands on HVAC test for gm master certification. Wish me luck.
View Quote
Good luck. How long are you in Dallas?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
View All Quotes
Just tonight. Heading back after the test tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Good luck, you’ll do fine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Okay have a good time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Went by gas monkey and bought some Christmas stuff for my son. Damn Dallas got some hella rush hour traffic compared to Memphis
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Went by gas monkey and bought some Christmas stuff for my son. Damn Dallas got some hella rush hour traffic compared to Memphis
View Quote
It gets shitty.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Don’t have a good feeling about today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#20]
They never tell you everything. At 4:30 yesterday I get called that a D7 is down stairs site. It had been having intermittent engine shutdowns due to a failing ECM. They figured out days before that if they didn't run over 2k rpm it was ok. Ok. I was going to fix it in a few days when I bring back the final drive and brakes for their d8. Got the parts for it Tuesday but got pulled off to swap a transmission at another site.

Now it was an emergency. Fine. Left at 4am today. Picked up the ECM. Get out there only to find that they also burned the starter up. In the trash.

The d8 is down.
The other D7 has been stuck since Saturday.
The 330 excavator has a locked up final drive so they can't use is to dig the stuck dozer out.
The d6 is running around but not heavy enough to do anything with either D7.
They're pushing trash away from the tipping floor with the compactor. It can push some but he's fighting to keep from sticking it as wet as it is.

Luckily I had enough air hose to reach out there. Blow all the crud out from around the starter and was able to get it out the top.

Leaving at 4 again tomorrow and picking up starter on the way.

Fun times.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I say emergency but it just means it got pushed to the priority.

We charge a lot less than the dealer but without all the dead weight so I make more than I ever could there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#23]
We have some real stupid installers in town.

Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Installed a new window switch group in the truck.  I'll see how it acts tomorrow.  I put the original seat heater switch back in.   The Dorman replacement has incorrect backlighting which is much brighter and distracting.  The black bezel isn't quite the right color either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Installed a new window switch group in the truck.  I'll see how it acts tomorrow.  I put the original seat heater switch back in.   The Dorman replacement has incorrect backlighting which is much brighter and distracting.  The black bezel isn't quite the right color either.
View Quote
On par for Dorman
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm the only one at the shop this week. All others are at SEMA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I replaced the chewed-up grommets that secure my Road King's QD windshield on Monday. Now it doesn't take four hands and profanity to mount the windshield, and it's more secure, too. $8 each and I bought four of them.... Ouch.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Day two of success.  I believe the silveraydo  is fixed.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Went to a new to me site. A d8 lost first gear and the transmission has to come out. Before I can down that one I needed to swap the radiator cores in the other d8. Then in turned into a hydraulic and engine oil leak also. And then one condenser fan doesn't work and the torque converter temp gauge either.

The engine oil leak turned into picking up the front of the engine to remove the damper, engine support and front gear housing to replace the gasket. No shop, no cover. At least it's in the mud and not trash.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Bought a new small air ratchet

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Bought a new small air ratchet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390973/20181108_171535-732541.jpg
View Quote
I'm looking at getting the Milwaukee m12 version of one of those

that and an m12 stubby 1/2" impact and I'd be in heaven
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm looking at getting the Milwaukee m12 version of one of those

that and an m12 stubby 1/2" impact and I'd be in heaven
View Quote
I'm still using air. I just can't justify a switch to batteries.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
I don't blame you. You still get more power in a smaller package and if you're in a shop you always have air. I have a few m18 tools and they save idle time on my truck.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
I switched to all battery this year and I love it.  The m12 ratchet is kind of large for some things, but I can use it 99% of the time.  I still have my tiny 1/4 air ratchet for when I need to get to a timing cover or something like that.  But not having to drag air hoses around is absolutely amazing.  I have the m12 impact, driver, and ratchet and m18 3/8 and 1/2 impacts.  The 1/2 is a beast.  I use it constantly and I usually get 5-7 days before needing to charge it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#35]

I don't blame you. You still get more power in a smaller package and if you're in a shop you always have air. I have a few m18 tools and they save idle time on my truck.
View Quote
If I did more work away from air I would have them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I have 3 air hoses in my 2 bays. 99.9999999% I use Milwaukee
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Short week this week.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep. Off Thursday and back on Friday. Leaving for Nashville Saturday morning. Staying at the Gaylord opry Saturday night. Going through the christmas on ice and whatever else happens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Yep. Off Thursday and back on Friday. Leaving for Nashville Saturday morning. Staying at the Gaylord opry Saturday night. Going through the christmas on ice and whatever else happens.
View Quote
We are closed Thursday and Friday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tmleadr03] [#41]
We are closed Thursday and Friday.
View Quote
Shops closed Thursday and Friday with vacation pay, techs are all gone as of end of today, only a service writer around to answer phones and schedule for next week.

Black Friday is the worst work day in auto repair.  No one cares to get anything done on their car that day.  Every shop I have ever been at for Black Friday I spent all day watching movies.  Pointless.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I may work Friday. I have a transmission to put in a wheel loader again. It was sold as "rebuilt" and made it a few days. Pulled it back out and the insides didn't look rebuilt. It's back again and supposedly right this time.

Depending on what I do tomorrow I may work Thursday too. I have a variable pitch fan drive at the house to put back together.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck.  Tech who was supposed to be taking care of about 5 hrs of work this afternoon got in an accident over lunch.  Now I am doing that and coming in tomorrow to finish when I was supposed to be home spending time with my daughter who is flying in over thanksgiving.  Fuck this shit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
Fuck.  Tech who was supposed to be taking care of about 5 hrs of work this afternoon got in an accident over lunch.  Now I am doing that and coming in tomorrow to finish when I was supposed to be home spending time with my daughter who is flying in over thanksgiving.  Fuck this shit.
View Quote
Sounds like me. Make a plan. Try to execute. Then in flies the live grenade.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Friday is just another work day.  I'm working Saturday as well.  Losing a tech and an advisor this week.

I just cannot get my hours up this week.  It's busy as normal, I've just spent a lot of time helping out.

Borescoped a cylinder and surprisingly enough witnessed a small drop of liquid run down the cylinder wall!  No indication of coolant ingestion other than a slight area in the carbon ring at the top of the cylinder that was lighter than the black surrounding area.   The piston was uniformly black as well as the combustion chamber.   It was losing small amounts of coolant over long periods of time.  The vehicle had a one time cold start misfire which turned on the check engine light.  We see this a LOT and there is no fix or cause for concern.   I was just running through the motions.  Cranking compression was good.  Engine was cold and the cooling system was not pressurized.  The head gasket just appeared a little damp in a tiny spot that I just happened to catch with the camera.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck. Tech who was supposed to be taking care of about 5 hrs of work this afternoon got in an accident over lunch. Now I am doing that and coming in tomorrow to finish when I was supposed to be home spending time with my daughter who is flying in over thanksgiving. Fuck this shit.
View Quote
Good day for "take your daughter to work".
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn.  My tech was doing side work over thanksgiving (allowed as long as it doesn't compete with the shop) and he and the buddy whos truck he was working on decided to go have lunch and some drinks.  He drank too much and rolled his buddies truck.  On to comcasts property.  And took out a tree.  On camera.  And then left the scene and drove the truck back to my shop.  Where the cops found him.  And arrested him.  So his buddy who isn't supposed to have access to my shop, especially since I have never met him, locked up and called me.

He got bailed out Sunday morning and I fired him that afternoon.  Well, there goes a promising automotive career right down the drain.  He needed a couple more years of seasoning and he would have been a fantastic tech, as is he was pretty good.  He was charged with Reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident and driving while under the influence.  Stupid kid.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn.  My tech was doing side work over thanksgiving (allowed as long as it doesn't compete with the shop) and he and the buddy whos truck he was working on decided to go have lunch and some drinks.  He drank too much and rolled his buddies truck.  On to comcasts property.  And took out a tree.  On camera.  And then left the scene and drove the truck back to my shop.  Where the cops found him.  And arrested him.  So his buddy who isn't supposed to have access to my shop, especially since I have never met him, locked up and called me.

He got bailed out Sunday morning and I fired him that afternoon.  Well, there goes a promising automotive career right down the drain.  He needed a couple more years of seasoning and he would have been a fantastic tech, as is he was pretty good.  He was charged with Reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident and driving while under the influence.  Stupid kid.
View Quote
Well at least the other guy locked up and called you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Yea at least he called
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#50]
While I haven't had any problems welding washers and nuts onto broken off bolts and studs this kit was money well spent.Attachment Attached File
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top