BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Try explaining to people that over filling  an engine with oil will cause catastrophic failure.  

Jiffy lube double filled an m271.  The lanchester shafts do a great job acting as a windage  tray for one through three.   Number four, well he has a big open space under him.  So all the extra oil kinda ends up there.  Start slapping a piston down in a pool of oil repeatedly at high speed and eventually the piston will fail around the pin area.   It does a number on the rod bearings too.  It punched large holes in the block, put part of the rod in to the starter, and after all that, it was still over filled with oil.  

They Actually Paid Thirteen Hours For A Teardown And Inspection When It Was Clearly Blowed Up.
View Quote
I bet that was a mess.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If it was any kind of warranty or anyone other than customer pay we had to do the same thing. Only exception really was if the machine was burnt crisp. Then on the repair estimate I quoted a new one with the same options/configuration.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol inspector guy stated it was an internal failure.  Jiffy lube denied claim.  This will be messy.  I'm having trouble with this particular inspector.  He may get banned from our facility.  This isn't the first time he has caused us trouble, but may well be the last.  * calls warranty company, send a different guy.  He isn't coming in our shop anymore*
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Helped my dad out replacing a wheel bearing on his equinox

Said it was roaring really loudly as he drove home, asked if I thought it would be OK for him to drive from north of dc to northern va

Not what I wanted to do with my one day off. But I either did it today or he paid someone for a new truck if it ended up blowing on the side of the rd
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Still busy as hell. Another dealer customer that one of our guys used to work for has started asking if we can send them someone 2-3 days a week now.

The incompetence of the dealership is good for business.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Fifteen cars never even made it in the shop.  I've got another tech that out in his notice.  Leaving for better opportunity at tesla.  

In a way it feels like the later episodes of MASH.   They have cut back on warranty time again.  Fuses are not covered.  Three tenths total for any and all software updates combined.  One tenth recalls.  We don't have enough people to keep up with demand.

We routinely take thirty to fifty appointments per day.  We end up writing seventy to ninety repair orders.  The walk in, no appointment waiters push back our appointment customers and they never get done.  I had a two o clock promise time get done at five thirty yesterday.  

I'm looking for two guys to be an express service team, and another two line techs.  We need some guys who can do quick stuff like bulbs, inspection, software, nav updates, recalls and small services so the line guys can be more effective at their jobs.  

I've been absorbing as many small jobs and waiters as I can, and I'm getting run in to the ground.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Today I learned about flex ray.  I was taught that it is functionally similar to CAN, and is diagnosed the same way.  

This is incorrect.

Wrecked glc300.  Minor front end damage, but came up underneath from the bottom and broke everything in the cooling package.  

Car will not start, crank, come out of  park, or do anything.  

Roll it in on roller skates.  Communication faults in damn  near everything.  Modules report that they have faults communicating with each other, yet almost every single module can be accessed for diagnosis.  

The electric steering is down. I know this.  I am not at all concerned.  The flex  ray wires were cut in the collision.  No problem.  Everything else should work fine, just without steering.  

I chase everything.  A lot of stuff is connected to multiple networks. I am struggling to understand why I can communicate with the modules, yet they report that they cannot communicate with each other.  The diagnostic connection is done through CAN.  It's working.  I double down on the powertrain control module and the ignition switch since they are the key players here.  I get nowhere.  Verify power, ground, CAN communication.  I break the Network Down To A minimum Configuration.   Nothing works Or Makes SEnse.

I Give Up, Temporarily Repair The BRoken Wires And Plug In THe Steering Rack.  Everything Works Perfectly Now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Today I learned about flex ray.  I was taught that it is functionally similar to CAN, and is diagnosed the same way.  

This is incorrect.

Wrecked glc300.  Minor front end damage, but came up underneath from the bottom and broke everything in the cooling package.  

Car will not start, crank, come out of  park, or do anything.  

Roll it in on roller skates.  Communication faults in damn  near everything.  Modules report that they have faults communicating with each other, yet almost every single module can be accessed for diagnosis.  

The electric steering is down. I know this.  I am not at all concerned.  The flex  ray wires were cut in the collision.  No problem.  Everything else should work fine, just without steering.  

I chase everything.  A lot of stuff is connected to multiple networks. I am struggling to understand why I can communicate with the modules, yet they report that they cannot communicate with each other.  The diagnostic connection is done through CAN.  It's working.  I double down on the powertrain control module and the ignition switch since they are the key players here.  I get nowhere.  Verify power, ground, CAN communication.  I break the Network Down To A minimum Configuration.   Nothing works Or Makes SEnse.

I Give Up, Temporarily Repair The BRoken Wires And Plug In THe Steering Rack.  Everything Works Perfectly Now.
View Quote
This kind of inter-connectivity really has me worried about the future and the ability to troubleshoot wiring issues.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the dashcam thread
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#12]
No cash cams, that I know of, were encountered today.

we have an app that allows The customer to see if the vehicle LEaves A Specified Area, Exceeds A Set Speed, and lets Them know Where it's been and how many Times It was started.  i know How to disable That too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jeep450:
I love the dashcam thread
View Quote
I haven't read that one yet
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
I haven't read that one yet
View Quote
Okay read it and commented.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Tried to buy a new Traverse today for the wife. No lube was used. Maybe tomorrow they will use lube. Basically you get employee discount so we don't want to give you what your truck is worth on trade.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Tried to buy a new Traverse today for the wife. No lube was used. Maybe tomorrow they will use lube. Basically you get employee discount so we don't want to give you what your truck is worth on trade.
View Quote
So sell truck outright and fuck em on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Huh.  So that's how much they cost.  I have a bad habit of just walking on tool trucks, grabbing what I wan't/need and making a payment.  Typically I zero my truck account every three weeks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

Huh.  So that's how much they cost.  I have a bad habit of just walking on tool trucks, grabbing what I wan't/need and making a payment.  Typically I zero my truck account every three weeks.
View Quote
I have the same habit. Except here lately I have gotten carried away and run up a bill on a couple of trucks. I put myself on tool hold until it gets down to something I like.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#20]
We are completely overwhelmed with work.  I have literally nobody to do the work.  

One tech got pulled for alignments, another is on a v12 job, everyone else is wrapped up in special order parts, ongoing projects, and otherwise unavailable.

I told the SM  that I made my weekly goal already today and I couldn't get the work done.  I was given a green light to just do whatever I needed to.  

There is already infighting among the advisors because we cannot get work done.  I've told them not to call me about waiters anymore.  I have nobody to do them.  

I'm taking every oil change, inspection, bulb, recalls i can get.  I'm still pounding out hours and get nobody else seems to be trying.  

I've got a guy with a third time comeback for a very random problem, I can't help.  I have no time.  The foreman can't find time.  The advisor keeps pushing it, and I've told him that I literally cannot afford to stop and work on it.  We have more than two pages of jobs that never got looked at today.

Secretly, I kind of like it.  It's balls to the wall busy.  Time to make money.  Sooner or later the others will figure this out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#22]
16 z71 engine mounts

The exhaust manifolds have to come off. No way to do it without.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#23]
16 z71 engine mounts

View Quote
Pardon me, but are you saying you need to replace motor mounts on a 2016 model year Z71 now???
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Skweeker:

Pardon me, but are you saying you need to replace motor mounts on a 2016 model year Z71 now???
View Quote
That stinks
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I won't be standing around when the truck gets here.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Half of my shop floor is getting epoxied this weekend.  The other half in two weeks.  This is madness.  

I have a very difficult to access 30 amp fuse that blows every two weeks.  It powers seven actuators spread out amongst four seats.  How the fuck am I supposed to figure out what is blowing it?  My plan is to install inline fuse holders and fuse them at ten amps on seven wires.  Based upon which blows, I'll know where to look.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
16 z71 engine mounts

yea, original design is transmitting vibrations into the truck due to them basically bottoming out internally. New design for internal construction to eliminate it. I pulled the fenderliners and got it ready to fool with Monday. I got the rest of my parts to reassemble the second 1.4 piston job I had. That paid more
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Half of my shop floor is getting epoxied this weekend.  The other half in two weeks.  This is madness.  
View Quote
Part of the reason I like working out in the dirt.

Spent this past week working out of town. Did a 3412 engine in a 651B scraper. Old beat up machines, and the customer keeps getting used engines to put in them. He keeps paying the bill so we keep doing the work.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I had an hour and a half to kill.  Next to no tools.  No resources.  A set of ngk spark plugs, and an LS6 with original plugs.  

With two 3" extensions, two ratchets, a magnet, a pair of slip joint pliers, a flashlight and a cheap ass plug socket, I went to work.  

It runs incredibly well.  I thought that since they have less than 60k miles, I was wasting money.  It woke up quite a bit.  Ass dyno says she is pushing more horse pressure and increased torques.  I assume higher cylinder pressure from a more rapidly moving flame front due to better spark.  

I drove over to a friend's house and saw the Lego porsche gt3.  It's pretty cool.  They did some neat stuff with a model, and it has factory photos in the instruction manual.  It was $300, missing pieces that required three separate calls to get ordered as they were discovered missing, and took 28 hours to build.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone here work in a shop with rubber or hard plastic type floor tiles? Like it? Dont like it? Please
include brand and style if possible. I've look at them over the years but have some concerns. Two
being: rolling carts and oil drains over them. Also how the floors stand up to oils, brake clean, etc.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#31]
those engine mounts SUCKED ASS
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#32]
We got half of the shop floor done in epoxy, they ran us out of the shop today for half the day.  The odor and fumes were horrible.  It looks nice.  

I have a 30 amp, very difficult to access fuse that feeds four seats, and among those four seats seven actuators.  I have no idea what makes it blow the fuse.  Today I added inline fuses to those seven circuits so I at least have some idea where to look next time it blows.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Drove 2 hours out to a job site. found a Dozer had an angle cylinder sensor for the blade was malfunctioning. Well that tends to happen when you crush wiring with big rocks. Made a jumper harness to get it running and the new one is in Japan. Who knows when I'll see it. Drive 2 hours back home.

No floor tiles here. lol. just dirt and rocks. Even our shop is only concrete and the big shop has railroad rails in the concrete for the big track machines to drive on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Still swamped here. I probably had 4-5 solid days of work in front of me. Now it's probably 2 weeks worth with more adding to that all the time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:33:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coronado] [#35]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
Drove 2 hours out to a job site. found a Dozer had an angle cylinder sensor for the blade was malfunctioning. Well that tends to happen when you crush wiring with big rocks. Made a jumper harness to get it running and the new one is in Japan. Who knows when I'll see it. Drive 2 hours back home.

No floor tiles here. lol. just dirt and rocks. Even our shop is only concrete and the big shop has railroad rails in the concrete for the big track machines to drive on.
View Quote
Yeah but that's what fun about the field lol no floor, no supervisors, no nothing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Still swamped here. I probably had 4-5 solid days of work in front of me. Now it's probably 2 weeks worth with more adding to that all the time.
View Quote
I am booked till the end of next week.  As in, no you can't get in the shop to see me.  And the week after that is filling up.

And I just raised my rates a few months ago.  No one noticed it seems.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Coronado:

Yeah but that's what fun about the field lol no floor, no supervisors, no nothing.
View Quote
It's not always like that on the dealer side. Sometimes you've got a pissed of customer their with a broken machine that just came out of the shop and looking for someone's ass to chew.

Actually I should say a good portion of the time as I've heard lately from my friends that are still there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:

It's not always like that on the dealer side. Sometimes you've got a pissed of customer their with a broken machine that just came out of the shop and looking for someone's ass to chew.

Actually I should say a good portion of the time as I've heard lately from my friends that are still there.
View Quote
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, even internal customers like what we do get on us about stuff breaking just after repairs.  Usually it's pretty easy to dismiss them though by telling them its 250 hours overdue for a 1000 engine oil service and we told you we only band-aided it.  Still happens though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#39]
We are beginning to get caught up.  

New hire for express service starts Monday.  

We lost another guy to tesla.

I'm thinking of getting a John Deere garden tractor.  It has a k72 hydrostatic transaxle, which is one of my main concerns.  The tractor is probably overkill but I cannot get a manual transmission in anything new, and I don't trust hydrostatic transmissions.  So I figured getting a strong version would be better, and it has a differential lock in case I need to go muddin'.  

The old craftsman is fifteen years old and the motor smokes.  It will need front tires soon.  It hasn't given any trouble, but I'm not interested in spending money on what is essentially an old worthless mower.  In fifteen years the Deere will still bring a few grand.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Hydrostatics are the way to go.  They rarely break as long as you keep oil in them.

way way way way faster to mow with.

Buy used, less than a $1000 gets you a pretty decent lawn tractor, use it for 5 years ,buy again

If you are just mowing, a zero turn (twice as much money) is so much faster its unbelievable.  My lawn tractor was getting tired (13 years and so much abuse) so I bought a zero turn.  It literally knocked my mowing time down by 2/3

and leaves a better cut.   If you don't want a zero turn, buy the used lawn tractor.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Buying used locally is a joke.  I'm not paying $5000 for a machine with 500 hours on it.  Or paying new prices for used equipment.  I found a used one with 24 hours on it.  It will be six hours round trip to save $150 over buying a brand new machine and getting it delivered.  

Buying a random Craigslist machine scares me.  

It's my birthday.  I left work early and ordered what I wanted after I got a good salesman who had me drive it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Buying used locally is a joke.  I'm not paying $5000 for a machine with 500 hours on it.  Or paying new prices for used equipment.  I found a used one with 24 hours on it.  It will be six hours round trip to save $150 over buying a brand new machine and getting it delivered.  

It's my birthday.  I left work early and ordered what I wanted after I got a good salesman who had me drive it.
View Quote
That is $25/hr minus mileage.  3 hours = 250-300 miles and IIRC the IRS says $0.51/mile, YMMV.  It could be as low as $10/hr for your time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By not_sure:
That is $25/hr minus mileage.  3 hours = 250-300 miles and IIRC the IRS says $0.51/mile, YMMV.  It could be as low as $10/hr for your time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By not_sure:

I hope that's is mistyped and more like $1500. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been working with the trainee.  I like him.  He is up to speed on about 50% of stuff, and learning our brand quickly.  I've had him pulling cars in and out, road testing solo, and changing oil and such.  I'm teaching him service work the way we do it.   He is a little slow at it, but he has only been doing it for three days.  He seems eager, yet somewhat overwhelmed.  He will be an hourly guy doing express service work.

We  have two line techs inbound, with experience.  An mb program student in the pipeline, and looking for another express service guy.  

It has slacked off ever so slightly, but we stay busy due to the reduced staff.

My John Deere garden tractor was delivered today.  It was an extremely long day, and a tortuous ride home until I got to try it.  It's much larger than the old mower.  It turns tighter, doesn't lose traction, and delivers a faster cut with a higher quality.  It takes fewer
Passes to mow, and only doesn't fit in to some minor areas that the old one could.  I'm digging the hydrostatic drive.  This machine dwarfs the old one.  I bought a plug aerator for it.  I'm going to use some old batteries as ballast if I don't find something better.  The smoothness is impressive.  It's ride quality, handling, noise level and vibration are far ahead.  I can't knock the old one too much, it is fifteen years old and the new one was three times more expensive.  I'm really happy.  I just love mowers and stuff.  Anything mechanical i guess...   After experiencing my coworkers Deere i knew that is have one.  I just researched the neck out of it before making the move.  The transaxle in the smaller machines cost about a grand to replace.  This machine was about a grand more, but significantly more heavy duty in every way.  I seriously doubt that it will wear out or die on me.    Or that I will encounter a task that it cannot handle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#46]
So the auto dealer association in town bought the old Honda dealership location. They partnered with a in town Tech school to open a Auto Tech training school. Makes #4 in town now.

I don’t get it. They don’t support the schools here already. One had the GM program. The gm dealers didn’t support it with the school. They say that they can’t get “techs” which is true, we can’t find anybody worth a shit. But when they don’t support the schools here already? I guess they will have to this one.

The plan sounds nice. School then residency at a dealership. Do this a couple times. Sign a contract with a dealership and the dealership picks up the cost of the school. Someone graduates debt free.

Guess time will tell.

The old dealership they bought will need a million spent on it. Autonation decided to build a new location instead of refurb. It’s decades old. Honda store at that. It was built for Honda. Everything small as shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:33:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

man if for just fucking once service managers didn't fucking focus on hiring senior masters that are drunks and career alcoholics just because they have certs. man it would be something to foster professional development and rising through the ranks, then they wouldn't have the problem of staffing our dealerships.

hire motivated kids that are interested in moving onto the line, instead of just keeping the lube rack filled. kids see no upward career path so why would they give a fuck about anything.

i know they are worried about certifications for warranty but if you dont ever let it get to that point you wont lose your shop competencies.

when the current crop of old guys retire in the next 5-10 years the dealers are gonna be up shit creek and its gonna be fucking glorious because we are gonna be able to demand 50-60hrs flat rate.
View Quote
I have been talking with my parts supplier and asking why they don't do an apprentice program. They do continuing education.  I would pay for a two year program to help me train someone from entry to half way decent with more then just hands on.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top