Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 7:35:53 PM EDT

I've got a 2003 Subaru Legacy L SE.  It still has the stock tires on it which are Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires in size P205/55R16 89H.  The front tires are due for replacement now as they're pretty well worn out so I'd like some recommendations.  Rear tires are still ok, so those will be staying for now.

Is it recommended I stick with this same make/model?  Or would you recommend some other manufacturer's tires?  What store is least likely to screw me on price?

As always, I greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone can give.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
i bought a pair of yokohamas tonight for my 2002 beetle

put the new tires on the back
and move the back tires forward

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52¤tpage=16

Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half-tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more traction, and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads because new, deeper treaded tires are more capable of resisting hydroplaning.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
All wheel drive vehicle.  Replace all four tires if you change tire brand or model.

What type of performance are you looking for?  All weather?  Long tread life?  Max performance?  Go to tirerack.com and do a search on your vehicle type and check out the most popular tire they sell.  If you need more info, give them a call.  They are very very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]

The Toyo® Proxes T1-S is the new generation ultra-high performance tire for the world's most demanding cars and discriminating drivers. The smooth-riding V, W, and Y speed-rated T1-S offers excellent wet and dry grip, exceptional handling, and resistance to aquaplaning.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the quick responses.  It is an AWD vehicle so I guess I'll have to stick with the same make/model then.  Just don't have the money to replace all four tires.

As for performance, I'm not looking for anything in particular I guess.  When I bought the car, I lived in MA so driving in snow was a concern.  But now that I live in FL snow isn't an issue anymore.  The occasional rainstorm is the most I have to deal with.

I'll take a look at the listings on Tire Rack anyway.  Maybe I can find a set of 4 tires that would be around the same price as just two of the stock tires.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't think the factory tires are the "best" in any way.  In most cases they suck.  Last car I bought the tires were absolutely horrid and I replaced them in 6 months.

Edit:  Looking at tirerack for you vehicle, the Kumho ECSTA ASX is a top seller and good price too at $67 dollars each.

I'm used to spending close to $200 a piece for tires...  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Bridgestone p-01 s-02pole positions
Very sticky tire but I think there is a new replacement.
eta: oops
can't get guns out of my head
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bridgestone p-01 pole positions

There have been two replacements.

My summer tire for the last few years have been Bridgestone S02 Pole Positions, and they now have an SO3 PP out.  I am in the market for a new set of max tires this summer and am waiting for the SO3's to go on sale at tirerack.  (If they ever will...)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My summer tire for the last few years have been Bridgestone S02 Pole Positions, and they now have an SO3 PP out.  I am in the market for a new set of max tires this summer and am waiting for the SO3's to go on sale at tirerack.  (If they ever will...)

I run the older gen pole positions in the summer but I use blizzaks in the winter.
My change over time is halloween and they go back on around april 15th
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I run the older gen pole positions in the summer but I use blizzaks in the winter.
My change over time is halloween and they go back on around april 15th

I have a spare set of wheels I run my winters on (Dunlop winter sports) and switch in spring when the last snowstorm flies.  Usually wrong about the timing, but the SO2's are not too bad in a little snow.  I just keep a floor jack in my garage and can change wheels whenever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I think I've decided on replacing all 4 tires.  

I've narrowed my choices down to:  Kumho ECSTA ASX and BF Goodrich Traction T/A.

Never heard of Kumho before but they get excellent reviews on TireRack.  Both makes/models are also sold by Sears so I should be able to get the replacements done there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, I think I've decided on replacing all 4 tires.  

I've narrowed my choices down to:  Kumho ECSTA ASX and BF Goodrich Traction T/A.

Never heard of Kumho before but they get excellent reviews on TireRack.  Both makes/models are also sold by Sears so I should be able to get the replacements done there.

Kumho makes some very good tires.  They and Toyo are newcomers but make very good products.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Kumhos get worn out really fast from what I've heard
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I would certainly go for the BFG over the Kumo. I would check to see if they have a Touring T/A pro series in that size. That is what I have on my car and they are pretty nice for the money.

I have been installing and selling tires for almost 7 years, and the RE92 is the last tire I would spend money on. I actually refuse to sell them to people unless they are matching one, and the rest have a lot of tread. At least double the tread life that you have gotten out of the RE92s when you go to any other decent tire. Seriously. Those things get abut 30K on them when you take the best care of them possible, and that does not happen too often. I remember the tread wear on some of those was 160 in certain sizes. What a joke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top