Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:45:11 PM EDT
Hard to describe...

I'm working on the project car this weekend.  

When I start the car, the engine is fine (revs to redline in neutral/park with no issues).  

However, when I go to put it into drive (any drive gears), it inches along.  Doesn't feel like the trans is slipping--the engine doesn't rev higher than it should.

Not sure about reverse...I might try it this weekend to see if it does it in reverse.

The car has been sitting for a long time (> 6 months), when I got it, it supposedly ran well, but I have had the interior torn out, etc., so it has not been running.   I have idled it for 20 to 30 minutes several times to keep the battery charged, and have moved it around the driveway a bit (that is how I know it inches along).

Trans fluid seems full (to really check, need to get the car warm, shift in and out of gears, and check while idling).  

This weekend I'll check the consistency of the fluid (reservoir does have nice red fluid...no brown).  

Any thoughts on what to check and verify or to try to see if it will run?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]

It kinda sounds like it might be stuck in 2 gears at the same time.
Need more info........

Does it do this in all the forward gears?  in reverse?  in neutral?...........

What kind of car are we talking about? Year?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to play with it this weekend--have to do some stuff to my daily driver first.

In Neutral, the engine moves freely--goes to redline with no issue on punching the gas.

I'll check reverse later.

I'm fairly certain it did it in the 3rd and 2nd gears last time I tried moving it.

It is significantly warmer today than the last several times I tried (might make a difference).

The Car is a 1984 Porsche 928s (the auto trans is a Mercedes S type)--(((yes, I know it is a pain in the ass car to work on, but you don't look a gift horse in the mouth)))
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, did a bit yesterday.

Trans is low when running/idle.   Added a bit of Trans-X.   Went and got a pump to put Dextron III in when the weather improves (Pain in the ass not having a garage).  

Did run the car a bit--No problems, could spin the gravel in the driveway with no problems.   I'm thinking that the parking brake was sticking last time (very cold).    Might have caused the issues.

Still need to:
Re-Carpet the interior.
Fix Passenger Window Motor.
ReCarpet the Hatch Area.
Put all 4 seats back in the car.
Fix the Sunroof Motor & Replace the panel.
Fix the Hatch Lock (re-key) so it seals.
Wire in a Stereo.
Replace Headlight Motor.
Put new plastic Buckets around headlights.
Repair and replace front spoiler.
Replace Rear Spoiler.

So, I have a lot to do....

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
They can be a little tricky to work on but they are a fine machine when you are done. Here's one I did a bunch of work on...

928 S4

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
At this point, mine is almost all cosmetic--a lot of cosmetic work.

Was oversprayed (close to the same color), so I need to find some matching paint to touch up.   Some bubbling on roof, etc. etc.  

Seems to start and run OK now.  Needs some trans fluid (was low on running, so I had to find a pump to help get it in there).  

Need some good weather to do the work on the car and get it up to snuff.

It is a nice looking car just sitting there....hopefully it matches once it gets on the road.  For some reason always liked the 928s.   Wouldn't turn down a 911 or 944 if one fell into my lap, but I'm hoping to eventually get a nice GTS (manual trans), and possibly supercharge it.....   Would like to have a nice one like mine to use as a fun driver also.  

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top