Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 3:33:47 PM EDT
quick pic I snapped after work.

1991 325i with the S package(no Is offered that year) needs a few things, a replacement front lip, wheels and a set of springs being the biggest ones.

(and yes the car is filthy)
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
sweet

Oh and BTW it's Bayerische Motoren Werke
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a little too boxy for my tastes, but still a nice looking car.

You should start auto-crossing with it.  Find your local SCCA group.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
classic. nice picture

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a car just like that the other day.  Except it was lowered, 18" gold spinner wheels, had colored tint on the windows, and had a fart can exhaust and a wing on the trunk.  Oh, and a "Type R" badge.

But mostly just the same.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Its a little too boxy for my tastes, but still a nice looking car.

You should start auto-crossing with it.  Find your local SCCA group.  

that's why the E30 is called the "flying brick" by many.  and I'll start autocrossing it after I get a few mechanical kinks ironed out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#6]
We had a 1600, then a 528i when I was a kid/teen.

I just checked out a 318ti but it had all the classic E36 rear end issues (shock/strut mounts, bushings etc) - too much work needed.

Any recommendations?  I'd like a two-door three series but am looking at Lexus coupes now. Want to drive more than maintain.

I previously had a BMW...bike.

Oh: nice ride!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]
honestly if I were to get an E36 it would be the 318ti, and I'd go full tilt nasty on the suspension, drop an M3 engine in it, and race the hell out of it.  either that or do the suspension and slap a big turbo on the 4 banger.

so far as I've seen the biggest problems with the E36 chassis were fixed in the first couple years.  the E30s like mine are fun and plentiful but hard to find in decent shape or low miles(mine has 156k on it) and they are getting old so lots of stuff is going to need replacing.  so buying a later E36 325 or 330, putting new bushings and shocks/struts in right away would probably be a good way to go.  the aftermarket for those cars is second only to hondas and supras so you'll have no shortage of aftermarket to choose from.  the DOHC sixes in those cars are pretty bulletproof and dont take much in the way of maintainence(as opposed to my sohc six that needs valve adjustments fairly often) just change the oil, keep the belts in good repair, and watch the hoses.

the E34 5 series is a nice chassis, very solid, the only real issue with those is the thrust arm bushings for the front end, those wear out right at about 100k miles, easy fix just annoying.  I had a 1992 525i 5 speed, dropped a chip in it and it was a blast to drive.  the E39 5 series is still pretty expensive but are also nice solid cars.  but these are all four door cars, which scream mommy mobile but are like a rolling lounge that you can throw through corners(that and cops harly pay attention to 5ers)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I liked the 318ti - very practical - but the one I looked at was a friend's (he is buying a new 330xi) that is...in a word, just plain run out.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#9]
youch, yeah beaten down AWD cars can be fun to work on

the 318ti is super lightweight and can be made into a fun little RWD ricer killer without too much effort.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I love those old style BMWs!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweet!
In my opinion, the E30 is the nicest 3'er Body Style.

I have an E34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top