Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 7:30:04 PM EDT
Heres my propisistion.  I have a 14 bolt rear end with a limited slip diff, 4L80E tranny, front diff and A Arms/ IFS shit from a 3/4 subaru some guy rolled and fucked the body over on. I also have the 454 that he did some monkeying on...

I am fairly attached to my 92 Half ton GMC, and was wondering the feasibility of swapping out my 6 lug for 8 and getting about as solid an IFS set up as I can get.  I know Ill need the stand alone computer to run the 4L80E tranny, but will every things more or less bolt up?  If I run the 8 lug set up from stem to stern it should all mate up properly, correct?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The frame, mounts, suspension, etc... is heavier on the 3/4 ton vs the 1/2 ton. Bigger leaf springs, heavier mounts, etc...
You'd be better off swapping the whole body from your truck on to the suburban chassis. The Suburban also has a rear mounted fuel tank... Something your truck does not. It should still swap over, but you won't have a place for the spare tire. As long as the wheelbase is the same you should be OK.
The 4l80e trans is all electronic controlled too...  You'd have to swap the entire drivetrain harness & ECM to make it work in your chassis...
Seems like alotta work for something that ain't worth a lot of money...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sell off the 1/2 ton,buy a 3/4 ton and save the parts for spares or sell them off . Or just live with the 1/2 ton.
If you decide to go ahead with all the swapping stuff rember that the franken truck you create will only be something to you and won't be worth $10 on the resale market .
If you have that much spare time on your hands you could get a second job and buy a new (3/4 to ) truck.
Trust me-the big parts may swap out ok but the little details will kill you!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sell off the 1/2 ton,buy a 3/4 ton and save the parts for spares or sell them off . Or just live with the 1/2 ton.
If you decide to go ahead with all the swapping stuff rember that the franken truck you create will only be something to you and won't be worth $10 on the resale market .
If you have that much spare time on your hands you could get a second job and buy a new (3/4 to ) truck.
Trust me-the big parts may swap out ok but the little details will kill you!

Or buy not a new one but one can be found for an inexpensive amount of moolah.

My dad bought last year a '97 Chevy C-2500 (3/4 ton) Cheyenne pickup, RWD, AT, 305 V-8 for 7K.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top