Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch3no2] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Thanks. I appreciate it.

More than likely it will be a winter project.
View Quote

If you end up buying a kit and rebuilding that carb, lightly coat the new gaskets with Pam cooking spray.  
No shit.
It makes the gaskets reusable if you ever need to take it apart again
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked to my mechanic buddy and he thinks the voltage got too low. He said charge it up and see what happens. There is probably a parasitic drain on the system.
View Quote

Ideal is 12.6-13ish volts. Things start to get bad around 9.6, stuff just stops working right.

Your alternator should be capable of putting out enough to keep your high beams from dimming when you have every single other electrical draw on the vehicle on at the same time. 12.6v is what your minimum charge should be on the battery. Below that and you know individual cells are not at full charge. Your alternator needs to put out around 13-14 v to make enough pressure to shove charge into it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]

My step-dad did put a USB voltage meter in the cigarette lighter before I got the vid. Maybe that is drawing it down.
View Quote

That'll do it,  id disco it now, before charging and all that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Carb tuning vid. @ around 2 min he shown the metering rods. When idling they should be all the way down.

Lots of good old school tricks on his channel.

How To Make The Edelbrock Carb REALLY Work For You

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Truck battery is charging and showing 75%. Truck is dead. Nothing when I turn the key.

I will check fuses in the morning when it's light out.
View Quote

If you can do it safely and know which of the bolts to do it to, flip the key to run, and manually connect the proper power lugs on the starter solenoid. If the starter does its thing and the truck does/does not fire up ...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Move the entire vacuum setup from the right side to the left? What is that going to do?
View Quote

one is port vacuum and the other manifold vacuum.  They are different.  Should vacuum advance be on port or manifold?  That is a chili with beans or no beans question.  Yours is currently on manifold vacuum.  As is mine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ch3no2:

If you end up buying a kit and rebuilding that carb, lightly coat the new gaskets with Pam cooking spray.  
No shit.
It makes the gaskets reusable if you ever need to take it apart again
View Quote
Chapstik used to be the deal for gaskets when you were changing jets at the track on a regular basis.

If you are rebuilding a carb, and won't touch it again for a year or two until the next rebuild, let the gaskets do the job as intended and install them dry.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
So the no start issue was a blown fuse. I replaced it and it blew again. It's a 30 Amp attached to the battery, not factory. I removed all of the wire loom from the battery to the firewall and my God has it been hacked. That power supply with the blown fuse went was split in 5 around the drivers side fender. Those wires were half ass soldered together. One went to the fire wall, one to the battery, one to a control box, one to the alternator and another I didn't chase down. Looks like I will need to get the wiring diagram out and do some digging. Ugh..
View Quote
someone installed that fuse in place of the fuseable link.  Old GM stuff like that truck had them, which was really just a short piece of smaller gauge wire that would burn up first.  Pretty common for it to disappear over the years.  Typically they were installed at the hot lead right by the starter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:43:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rumrunner358] [#16]
Question. I haven't started the truck for 2 weeks. I was found with covid.

It was dead so I jumped it. After it started it ran horribly. It even backfired a few times. I tried messing with the throttle and it would try to pickup but would backfire or try and die.

I did put that carb spacer on it right before I got covid. I started it and ran it with zero issues.

I shut it off and tried to restart and it was dead.

Thoughts?
View Quote
did you get a carb spacer or insulator?  use an insulator, it should have been a really thick gasket, maybe 3/16" thick.  

Thats a simple weber carb with edelbrock out of the box tune.  Simple to work on, and do metering rod changes.  No gaskets are below the fuel bowl, so that's handy.  If you do change that upper gasket, coat it in dow corning #4.    Kind of like the PAM trick, may give that a try!

If that's a mild motor, you should run ported advance.  That means at idle, there is no vacuum on the line to advance the timing.  Its ported off just above the throttle plates, so as soon as you crack the throttle, it will then pick up vacuum and advance the timing, because you are increasing RPMs.  

Which brings up another question.....  did you check the timing?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#19]

I went to the local speed shop and told them what was going on and they gave me a spacer. Its got two gaskets and a plastic "spacer" about and inch tall.

I have not checked timing or done a tune up.

It was running fairly well before I got sick. When I installed the spacer it started right up cold, like it always did and I ran it up to temp. Then I shut it off and started it again. It started right up. It sat for two weeks and now I have the blown fuse issue. I am chasing that wiring nightmare right now.
View Quote
yea, that wiring is bastardized in a bad way.  

factory set up may not be the best, but yours sounds....well, typical unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#21]

It's what you could expect for an almost 50-year-old truck that has had multiple owners and a few aftermarket accessories added. Sad but you never know what you are getting into.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rumrunner358:

I went to the local speed shop and told them what was going on and they gave me a spacer. Its got two gaskets and a plastic "spacer" about and inch tall.

I have not checked timing or done a tune up.

It was running fairly well before I got sick. When I installed the spacer it started right up cold, like it always did and I ran it up to temp. Then I shut it off and started it again. It started right up. It sat for two weeks and now I have the blown fuse issue. I am chasing that wiring nightmare right now.
yea, that wiring is bastardized in a bad way.  

factory set up may not be the best, but yours sounds....well, typical unfortunately.

It's what you could expect for an almost 50-year-old truck that has had multiple owners and a few aftermarket accessories added. Sad but you never know what you are getting into.

Truth spoken here^
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#22]
to me, getting to know the quirks of starting a carbureted car/truck was always a lot of fun and almost a theft deterrent.

"winter time requires 3.5 pumps on the accelerator and then turning starter midway in the third pump,  holding the carb at half throttle and releasing it as soon as it kicks"

don't do 2 pumps, don't do 4 pumps and half throttle.. do it the way i said.

if it doesn't start, come back in 1/2 an hour and try again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Great excuse to go fuel injected right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#25]

Ha! What is the cost of that?

The plan is to eventually replace it with a bb and th400. That's going to be a bit down the road though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
Great excuse to go fuel injected right now.

Ha! What is the cost of that?

The plan is to eventually replace it with a bb and th400. That's going to be a bit down the road though.

I haven't priced any of that stuff in forever, but the cost depends very much on what you can do.

If you can fab up your own crank trigger or get one cheap, and/or a camshaft trigger, do your own intake manifold and throttle body setup, and handle the software tuning yourself, you can do it a lot cheaper than if you can't, and you're going to order a bolt in kit.

If you love having to sort it yourself: https://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Heck, I bet you can even still get the plans and part lists and build the entire board for yourself, if you are so inclined.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Im dealing with back engineering Bubba wiring on the F100. From what I can tell the guy that was using this truck was trying to run some hot wires for lights or whatever he was hooking up and wound up burning up the harness from the firewall forward.

The entire original harness was a glob of copper and insulation that had welded itself to the crossmember.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
After bragging about how well my setup I showed earlier runs, I had to double down yesterday in GD by saying I’ve never had any trouble with carbs.

I think I’ve managed to finally fook one up pretty good. I couldn’t get the old 68 to start last night. I just about drained the battery trying before I pulled the air cleaner off and found about a pound of what I think was stuffing out of the seat, and some nut shells and rodent shit. Im pretty sure I sucked the little bastard into my engine. Doesn’t run so smooth anymore
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been constantly battling the same thing in my truck. One electrical problem after another. Shitty splices are everywhere.

I think I’m going to buy the whole harness kit from American Autowire and tack that on to my list of shit to do…should have a whole new truck by spring.

My wife is laughing. “So you basically just bought a frame”. She clearly doesn’t understand how hard it is to find a rust free body on one of these things. I paid for the fenders!
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Trust me. I hear the same thing..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BASE:
I have been constantly battling the same thing in my truck. One electrical problem after another. Shitty splices are everywhere.

I think I’m going to buy the whole harness kit from American Autowire and tack that on to my list of shit to do…should have a whole new truck by spring.

My wife is laughing. “So you basically just bought a frame”. She clearly doesn’t understand how hard it is to find a rust free body on one of these things. I paid for the fenders!

Trust me. I hear the same thing..

With the ability to buy a complete hardness, I would go that way.

A rust free cab on GM trucks are pretty tough to find even a truck that lived in California it’s entire life. The problem is the drains plug up with dirt and mud and hold water in the cab.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#33]
@OP:

Beautiful truck.  Nice find!  Congrats!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe take a look at this.  EFI in one unit, carburetor replacement.

Here in Colorado we can gain 9,000 feet of elevation in less than an hour.  Carbs are a pretty tough go at it here.

This unit also compensates for outside air temperature, fuel difference, pulling a trailer or not, etc.  

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/FiTech-30008-MeanStreet-800-HP-Throttle-Body-EFI-System,474525.html
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#36]
If you go a timing gauge, there's two options. The $40 model or the $100 model. The $40 works but the $100 model (inova 3568) can tell you the rpms your engine turning and let you see what the timing is doing as you rev the engine without any   Goofy tape. Exactly what the timing is doing, since the tach is there on the screen you can lean back and rev the engine with your hand and count the timing up to where you want. You can also have someone else rev it to exactly where you want it while you turn the distributor and actually adjust the overall timing and see what the curve is doing.  It makes checking and tuning your vacuum advance a breeze. And let's be honest the less time anyone spends sticking a light under a moving fan/belt and trying to read a tiny line the better.

The $40 is one step of timing. The very first tiny little step. The only other way to see your overall timing is with little tapes you stick on the balancer (because your balancer is already so clean right?) but they don't stick and you're gonna want to be able to check and adjust it as you go for the life of the vehicle. Not that you'll be doing it all the time, but a lot of the problems an engine can have the first step is make sure your distributor is functioning like it should. Base and overall right where you want it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Bottom of the first page before someone mentions the  accelerator pump! I was beginning to think I was the only who remembered those. That sounds like the problem. Try it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Cap ECH RR171
rotor ECH RR173
Coil MPE IC19SB

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks!
View Quote
Those are generic HEI numbers

also, since it's just a tinker truck, rockauto usually has way better prices and brands than the local part stores.  

Minimal digging gets you a 5% off coupon as well.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I am still trying to figure out what size fuses go in the engine compartment harness. The mini glass fuses are the ones I am referring too. One on both the drivers and passengers side front.

I'm waiting for new bulbs for the cluster and a bunch of parts from rock auto. It was so much cheaper to order from them.
View Quote
Rock auto has good prices, but their customer service is mediocre.  

check rock auto for the service manual DVD, last one I got was $20 and had all the factory manuals.  Had to dig up an old usb DVD drive though
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#46]

I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was.

I'll check for a manual. Thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rumrunner358:
I am still trying to figure out what size fuses go in the engine compartment harness. The mini glass fuses are the ones I am referring too. One on both the drivers and passengers side front.

I'm waiting for new bulbs for the cluster and a bunch of parts from rock auto. It was so much cheaper to order from them.
Rock auto has good prices, but their customer service is mediocre.  

check rock auto for the service manual DVD, last one I got was $20 and had all the factory manuals.  Had to dig up an old usb DVD drive though

I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was.

I'll check for a manual. Thanks.

If you need to look for more obscure paperwork and books for auto stuff, I've had luck with faxon: https://www.faxonautoliterature.com/
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#47]
67-72 Chevy truck forum has the service manuals available for download as well as some good wiring diagrams.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top