BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
That is why I haven't done much with my 1962 Willys M170 Ambulance. Willys only made about 4,000 of them and some parts such as the tub, gas tank, and seats are unique to the M170. No other Willys or Jeep vehicle used the same parts as the M170.
View Quote

I have a m38a1 that im pining to put a kubota in while keeping the appearance milspec.  

And im coveting the m1163 growler itvs out there but they take rare to a new level.  Something like hundreds of each variant made.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mancat:
This is awesome, I love the BRDM-2.

Are you replacing the GAZ V8 with something else? Russia modernized most of theirs with a 4cyl TD. I bet a 4BT would be a nice swap.

View Quote

Gonna keep it original but do some minor mods here and there. Send the electronics on the engine out to Petronics for upgrade. Upgraded the air filter. LED lighting on the inside, USB plugs for my phone. Camera system. It was a well designed vehicle and it's not broken in yet.

The only mod I really want to do is a new transmission. I hate shifting.

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 5:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#3]
Dirty!

Hasn’t looked this good since mayday In 1990

@m35ben
@backbencher
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Interior. After 4 years of bouncing in and out it was in need of a good blast

After, much cleaner !

All done!

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 5:28:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#6]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:
Looking good!
View Quote

Thanks! It’ll look a lot better when tnose Rust spots get blasted away and new tires get put on.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Forest:
What's the legality of building the MG with a solenoid activated trigger?  I would have thought that would be a no-no with the ATF.
View Quote

Big no no.

I tried.

Shot down so I’m gonna have to retrofit a trigger into it. Thankfully the regular solenoid already has a butterfly trigger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:35:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#9]
Wait does yours have the turbodiesel? I was reading some Czech variants have that instead of the GAZ gasser

What's the deal with the brackets at the rear? I can't find any info about what those are. Almost look like recovery gear or some sort of carrier for equipment
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:58:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#11]
Good and bad news today.

The pkt kit arrived. Unfortunately a good chunk of it is unuseable due to damage to the front trunion, In addition to being well used (supposed to be a pristine kit).

The front right leg (looking from the back) is bent.

Well, piss. I’ll see what bowman says about a return.

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool man.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
So what is your plan for air conditioning? My Hummer gets too hot to enjoy part of the year due to lack of AC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
So what is your plan for air conditioning? My Hummer gets too hot to enjoy part of the year due to lack of AC.
View Quote

I can imagine its hotter than hell.  Little fan?  

Are soviet vehicles 24v?  Does the brdm-2 have a decent heater?  US vehicles until recently had garbage heaters in them for the most part, but imagine russians are better prepared for the cold.  Maybe.  

Ive been reading these threads.  Seems a brdm-2 is obtainable for the average joe like me, not like i dont have 30k+ in my humvee already and two other MVs.  

But the uncertainty of importing and zero parts available domestically scare me away.  Id love to see more info about drivetrain parts, tires, etc.  

At least with a US vehicle i can get gauges and misc parts online, even though they are not “cheap”.  

Id also love to have a brit MOD landrover but i shied away cause of parts availability.  I can live with that, i feel the humvee is superior anyways.  But the brdm-2 is sticking with me.  Its friggin armor!  Not many people can say they have that.  It sticks out more than a truck at a car show.

Can i afford a brdm-2?  Yeah.  

Can my marriage afford a brdm-2?  Not for a few years id say.  

Can i afford NOT to pick up Aguas Jr. at daycare in an amphibious APC?  Unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#15]
Originally Posted By Aguas:

Are soviet vehicles 24v?  Does the brdm-2 have a decent heater?  US vehicles until recently had garbage heaters in them for the most part, but imagine russians are better prepared for the cold.  Maybe.  

Ive been reading these threads.  Seems a brdm-2 is obtainable for the average joe like me, not like i dont have 30k+ in my humvee already and two other MVs.  

But the uncertainty of importing and zero parts available domestically scare me away.  Id love to see more info about drivetrain parts, tires, etc.  

At least with a US vehicle i can get gauges and misc parts online, even though they are not “cheap”.  

Id also love to have a brit MOD landrover but i shied away cause of parts availability.  I can live with that, i feel the humvee is superior anyways.  But the brdm-2 is sticking with me.  Its friggin armor!  Not many people can say they have that.  It sticks out more than a truck at a car show.

Can i afford NOT to pick up Aguas Jr. at daycare in an amphibious APC?  Unlikely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's hot as hell in the summer. No way around it. It does have a fan but that doesn't help much.

I saved up for 6 years as a college student to buy my first one. It's a labor of love and a bit of anger.

I've seen a few for sale in the high teens to 50s.

Parts are not hard to get, just take a while to get here. Sergei, when he gets my order, is probably taking them off abandoned russian army vehicles and boxing them up. Small stuff atleast. It is 24v. There's 2 car batteries in the back in series. I can't seem to get the heater to work. Not a big deal right now and even then it doesn't get that cold here. When it gets up to operating temp it does get warm inside from the engine.  

I just got 8 tires last week (with the help of M35Ben). Total was 2400$, so not terrible for 44" tires. Even in the absence of parts from russia there are still vast numbers in eastern europe and loads of parts. I haven't had any issues. The harder stuff to find are the marker flags which are next to unobtanium. The trans, axles, diff, TC, all take EP90 or 80/90 gear oil. Engine takes 10w30 or sae30 oil. It's not picky. I converted my air filter from the oil bath over to a holley style pan air filter. Heck, even working on re-living the gun so it can fire.

I don't have one.

Just keep the hatches down and at a constant speed

At some point I'm going to install a 24vdc to 12vdc USB converter and a big fan to move the air. I would like to be able to charge my phone inside of it and run some LED lights.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Good news: Bowman shipped me the wrong kit. It's going back in the AM. Hooray Bowman for stepping up and fixing it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]
good info.  

in the regular MV community CTIS is sorta frowned upon by the Bubba, always being removed rather than fixed when it becomes a leaky mess.  I imagine 80s soviet military CTIS is....fun?

are you finding commercial equivalent tires that are new rubber or having to ship old surplus tires from eastern europe?

and the other thing off the top of my head that bugs me is the drop down extra wheels.  I only saw that on a youtube vid, I don't know if every variant or your -2 even has them.  If it does, how does it function?  seems like extra moving parts to wear out or have to ship or have fabbed.  At least I can be sure there is nothing computerized in there.  

Is the INOP heater coolant operated?  Or is it fuel fed?  There are surplus 24v coolant heaters out there to be swapped in if you ever need to;  Ryan Ruck upgraded his humvee with a 3 speed MRAP unit and I followed suit.  its nice to have 30,000 BTUs.  The incinerator style heaters always bug me.  I got one on my jeep right now I will swap out and sell later.  I just feel like its going to cause trouble with my fuel delivery or set the vehicle on fire.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#18]
good info.  

in the regular MV community CTIS is sorta frowned upon by the Bubba, always being removed rather than fixed when it becomes a leaky mess.  I imagine 80s soviet military CTIS is....fun?

are you finding commercial equivalent tires that are new rubber or having to ship old surplus tires from eastern europe?

and the other thing off the top of my head that bugs me is the drop down extra wheels.  I only saw that on a youtube vid, I don't know if every variant or your -2 even has them.  If it does, how does it function?  seems like extra moving parts to wear out or have to ship or have fabbed.  At least I can be sure there is nothing computerized in there.  

Is the INOP heater coolant operated?  Or is it fuel fed?  There are surplus 24v coolant heaters out there to be swapped in if you ever need to;  Ryan Ruck upgraded his humvee with a 3 speed MRAP unit and I followed suit.  its nice to have 30,000 BTUs.  The incinerator style heaters always bug me.  I got one on my jeep right now I will swap out and sell later.  I just feel like its going to cause trouble with my fuel delivery or set the vehicle on fire.
View Quote

The CTIS works. That’s how we air up the tires. The only way we know how to air up the tires atm.

I found a source in Alabama (of all places) that has huge amounts of surplus made in the ussr tires.

The belly wheels work. I just don’t ever use them. I don’t cross many trenches on a daily basis.

I haven’t been able to get the heater to work but I suspect it’s a translation issue. I can get the fan to work well but no heat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Registration submitted today.

I have a tanks for Trump event in October and I plan on being there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Registration submitted today.

I have a tanks for Trump event in October and I plan on being there.
View Quote

hell yeah.  time to blow some commie minds, ironically, with a former commie "tank".
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#21]

lol

RV, RV, RV, RV, RV, pontoon, RV, RV, BRDM, pontoon, RV, RV

One of these is not like the others.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
I have some ideas for A/C but its down on the list of stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By thezentree:

lol

RV, RV, RV, RV, RV, pontoon, RV, RV, BRDM, pontoon, RV, RV

One of these is not like the others.
View Quote

Hopefully not much longer and it’s gonna be driven to my house and parked in my work shop
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Shouldn't you get a KPVT for that thing?  Or did they make a variant that only had a 7.62x54R MG?

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]
can you imagine how they would meltdown/derange  if there was a tanks for trump!  lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:57:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#26]
Originally Posted By p3590:
Shouldn't you get a KPVT for that thing?  Or did they make a variant that only had a 7.62x54R MG?

View Quote

There were a couple different variants

Regular scout vehicle - KPVT and PKT

ATGM- none

Chemical- one with a big turret, a model-14.5mm kpvt and a pkt. Rare. There simply isn’t room For the 14.5mm ammunition. The chemical detectors take up a lot of space

B model - mine, with a PKT only and more space

Some versions today have a 2a42 30mm auto cannon, PKT, and a 30mm AGL

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Registration paperwork mailed off today.

3 weeks until it has a LP
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Replacement PKT kit arrived today.

Perfect shape 1978 7.62x54r pkt.

I’m stoked
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Even better than I expected. I was finally able to dig into it a bit and it’s more or less a new gun that was cut up. A shame.

It’ll be a nice semi build
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Very bad shape.

Engine is screwed up.

Massive blowback from the crank case

Huge plume of steam

No coolant and yellow dye all over the inside

Sticky brakes

Asking a huge amount of money, 50g.

So sad seeing it degrade to this. It’s worse than when I sold it.

Little side note on the pathway to get mine street legal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#32]
https://i.postimg.cc/43KSMm2t/2-F32-B292-DB36-411-C-8-BC5-D221-EBB96469.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8PH9r8rF/A6-EB339-A-8-F86-47-C4-A963-57-A6-B2773502.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/rpvPLM7H/B7-F50290-5324-4721-9-B3-D-69691-EA14-AAD.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/C5CtNXPQ/E17613-E6-98-A7-41-F6-8033-70-E0-D5480-E02.jpg

Very bad shape.

Engine is screwed up.

Massive blowback from the crank case

Huge plume of steam

No coolant and yellow dye all over the inside

Sticky brakes

Asking a huge amount of money, 50g.

So sad seeing it degrade to this. It’s worse than when I sold it.

Little side note on the pathway to get mine street legal.
View Quote

Ugh.  This is the first one you ended up with then?  

I was just admiring a photo from last year of me and the baby sitting on the bumper of a deuce and half i had and sold.  

Was just thinking “i hope that guy took good care of it” before i saw this post.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Ugh.  This is the first one you ended up with then?  

I was just admiring a photo from last year of me and the baby sitting on the bumper of a deuce and half i had and sold.  

Was just thinking “i hope that guy took good care of it” before i saw this post.  

View Quote

Yes. This was my first one. I luckily had the sense to sell it off because It was a big pile of work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Yes. This was my first one. I luckily had the sense to sell it off because It was a big pile of work.
View Quote

Its a shame what will happen to that vehicle.  Noone is gonna pony up 50k for that.  In the US i wonder if thats even worth 20k in that shape?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#35]
We're getting a machine gun?  AND cancer?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Please for the love of God, contact me if you ever come within 150 miles of Eastern Mo with your BRDM.

I'd love to see it in person.

Hell, you need to come to the Kalashni-Con shoots in Houston MO with it sometime....
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Its a shame what will happen to that vehicle.  Noone is gonna pony up 50k for that.  In the US i wonder if thats even worth 20k in that shape?
View Quote
I was thinking $15,000 with the way it is now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Happy update to the previous rabbit trail. It’s coming home.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#39]
https://i.postimg.cc/nztZ0Gqd/D75-A29-DC-7-D74-4309-A27-C-549-DADFA7-C8-F.jpg

Happy update to the previous rabbit trail. It’s coming home.
View Quote

Dafuhk, you got your original back?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:

Dafuhk, you got your original back?
View Quote

Loooong story

I bought this vehicle sight unseen In the summer of 2012. It arrived from England and went to Indiana then to me. I  Worked on it off and on for 4 years then sold it and used the money to buy my current one which is...immaculate. Next to unmolested.

About 2 weeks ago a guy messaged me and started asking questions. He wanted a brdm. I asked the guy I sold my old one to if he was interested in selling it and he said yes.

This is the saga of the traveling BRDM. From russia to Iraq to Kuwait to England, Indiana, Texas, Massachusetts, Kansas, and now back to Texas.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#41]
So - you're just facilitating the sale?  You're not keeping the crappy one?  Or we're restoring both and running convoys?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
Please for the love of God, contact me if you ever come within 150 miles of Eastern Mo with your BRDM.

Hell, you need to come to the Kalashni-Con shoots in Houston MO with it sometime....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

I got offered a big amount of money for
The brdm. I Didn’t accept. It brings me joy. After a long day of dealing with crap at work I love nothing more than working on it. It’s a stress reliever.

I would love to take it to MO, it’s just a long drive

Originally Posted By backbencher:
We're getting a machine gun?  AND cancer?  

I already had the polyps removed, don’t threaten me with a good time.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
So - you're just facilitating the sale?  You're not keeping the crappy one?  Or we're restoring both and running convoys?  
View Quote

This one is going to a guy in Dallas. He is a mechanic and will restore it to 100% operating condition INCLUDING making the kpvt and pkt functional.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#44]
From my research so far:

List of all known BRDM2 vehicles in private hands in the USA

1-DFW area, Texas - polish chemical detector variant small turret RKHB running condition, missing many pieces on the inside. Owner is known

2.DFW area, Texas -Czech chemical detector, small turret, I am the owner. Running condition as it left the military in almost new shape

3.DFW area, Texas - Iraqi big turret recon variant. Running but in rough shape. Know the owner (my old one). Owner is known

4.DFW area, Texas - Bulgarian chemical detector variant, not running, seized engine. Owner is known

5.Florala, Alabama-Iraqi big turret model, missing engine and transmission. Very rough shape. Needs total
Restoration. Demil cuts. Only known through intermediary David Uhrig.

6-7 Seattle, Washington 2 ATGM missile
Carrier vehicles-status unknown, running and driving. Owners not known

8. New York- big turret command variant BRDM2, excellent condition, running and driving. Owner is known

9.Ohio-Iraqi ATGM missile carrier, restored, unknown status, sold in 2009 from a museum. Owner is not known

10. Military museum
Of Vermont- sagger ATGM carrier. Rough shape. Owner is known

11. Mass, unknown chemical variant-no other details, owner not known

12. ATGM carrier, blue ridge, GA tank town USA

I will continue to update this as I find out more.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#46]
Originally Posted By D6T:
There’s a Sagger launcher model at the military museum of Vermont.

Also an rkh variant in private hands in MA, owned by someone I served in the Guard with.
View Quote

Can you get me pics and data plates? And even better, owner info. The sagger missile one may be from Seattle, the guy originally bought one then was disgusted with the condition and sold it and bought another. I haven't heard from him in years, lots of loose ends.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome thread OP, I always tell my wife I'm buying a Tank one day, BRDMS are really cool but I don't think my 6'6 frame would fit well (not that any armor is made for giants lol)
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
Awesome thread OP, I always tell my wife I'm buying a Tank one day, BRDMS are really cool but I don't think my 6'6 frame would fit well (not that any armor is made for giants lol)
View Quote
I saw a young 2nd LT while in Germany that was a platoon leader for an armored unit. He was obviously a football player in college at around 6'5" and probable 250-275 pounds. I couldn't resist when I saw him trying to get out of the commander's hatch on the M1 and I asked him who the hell did he piss off to get assigned to an armored unit. He laughed at that and agreed that he must have pissed in someones cheerios.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I saw a young 2nd LT while in Germany that was a platoon leader for an armored unit. He was obviously a football player in college at around 6'5" and probable 250-275 pounds. I couldn't resist when I saw him trying to get out of the commander's hatch on the M1 and I asked him who the hell did he piss off to get assigned to an armored unit. He laughed at that and agreed that he must have pissed in someones cheerios.
View Quote

I went to Germany back in 2007 after I graduated HS. One of my stops was the Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster, as I'm a huge WWII buff and they have an amazing collection of armor. Turns out they have a M47 for people to climb into, my buddy who was with my thought it was hilarious watching me try and squeeze in and out of the tank and took a photo. 10/10 would still try to do again

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D6T] [#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top