Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I had some dry rotted Michelin’s on my new to me Forester. 6 years old but plenty of tread. I would have kept them if it was just me driving back and forth to work but I had a 2400 mile long trip to take so I swapped them out just before the trip.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for the record, I'm off to buy some new tires tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 6 year old set of Michelin LTX tires which had minor "surface" dry rot cracks, blow out on me and tear the side of my pickup bed up.

I won't run ANY tire after 6 years old anymore.  They get replaced due to age, regardless of dry rot, or tread.

I even change out my spare tires, even though they never see the sun.  There are a LOT of cars on the road with 10 year old spare tires.
View Quote
The spare on my old Ford van was 27 years old.  Didnt hold any air when I got rid of it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When your tires disintegrate at highway speeds and your wife and kids get hurt or killed was it worth trying to be cheap? There is no fix for dry rotted tires, they will fall apart .
View Quote
THIS.

I had a set of Michelin CrossTerrain tires on our Pathfinder with about 50,000 miles on them.

Plenty of tread remaining, perhaps to get us to 80,000 or 90,000 miles.

Problem is they were 7 years old and had cracked sidewalls.

I knew I had to replace them or run the risk of having them blow driving from L.A. to Las Vegas,
or L.A. to Scottsdale, AZ, in the 100-120 degree heat.

Hell, they might have blown at 70 mph, at 75 degree heat!

I bit the bullet and bought a new set of tires because I had gotten 7 years out of them and I did not want to run the risk.

I suggest you do the same.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Had this happen on two sets of MS2s. 3 years/40,000 miles was the most I could get
You will have a hard time convincing me Michelins aren't shit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have an old but still serviceable set of Michelins on a 2000 Tundra that sat for a while.  They were pronounced dry rotted by the local shop who I can't trust as far as I can throw them.  A car guy I know says the cracks are only cosmetic and the things won't detonate on my like a set of old recaps.

I'm going to have to have wife and kids riding in this thing on the interstate - bit the bullet and get new tires, or don't sweat it?
View Quote
We see that shit all the time, since the heat and sun down here seems to create the cracks, and we see the effects on the highways all the time.  Usually, for the area, they are on cars that don't roll, but a Tundra very well could roll upon a blowout.

Dry rot is the break-down of the tire material, and is nothing to sneeze at.

Hankook tires are Korean made, and inexpensive for the quality (they are now offered as OEM on light-duty vehicles and some commercial trucks).  Just get a set of those from ordering through Walmart's webpage, so that the installation is cheap, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Had this happen on two sets of MS2s. 3 years/40,000 miles was the most I could get
You will have a hard time convincing me Michelins aren't shit.
View Quote
It's probably where you are parking them in Arizona.

The old people who don't drive much, here, have learned to park their vehicle tires up on four 1-foot-long by 1" thick boards to keep them off of the scorching hot blacktop pavements.  Lesson: don't leave vehicle on scorching hot pavements.  Tires are an investment in safety that can, and should, be protected from extreme heat and extreme UV rays.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The old people who don't drive much, here, have learned to park their vehicle tires up on four 1-foot-long by 1" thick boards to keep them off of the scorching hot blacktop pavements.  Lesson: don't leave vehicle on scorching hot pavements.  Tires are an investment in safety that can, and should, be protected from extreme heat and extreme UV rays.
View Quote
Silly me...that has to be it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Replace them if you drive it on the freeways.  I am a firm believer that dryrot or cracking = replaced.  I have seen the aftermath of tires blowing out due to age on occassional use vehicles like restored muscle cars that get few miles put on them.  Guys leave the tires on and claim they are good as they have less than 1000 miles on them.  Next thing they know they are replacing entire quarter panels because the tire flew apart and took the body panels with them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Replace them if you drive it on the freeways.  I am a firm believer that dryrot or cracking = replaced.  I have seen the aftermath of tires blowing out due to age on occassional use vehicles like restored muscle cars that get few miles put on them.  Guys leave the tires on and claim they are good as they have less than 1000 miles on them.  Next thing they know they are replacing entire quarter panels because the tire flew apart and took the body panels with them.
View Quote
I was talking to a guy that had that happen to his Avanti.

FYI, they are fiberglass so it is a little harder to fix that welding/blending in a new quarter panel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh.

Got 8 year old tires on my Tacoma.    I am ready to replace them but not sure if gonna do it local or order online and have them mounted at a shop.

They are definitely sucking for traction now that they have vulcanized into rocks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]
My 4 year old Michelin LTXs are showing some cracks as well.

Nothing too bad but I'll probably replace them with something else next summer.

Its a shame because otherwise they are outstanding tires.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends a lot on how they're stored... In the sun in Phoenix probably a lot shorter than in the dark in a 50F basement year round... One they're rotted get rid of them though, that's certain.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't push tires past the 5 to 6 year mark anymore.  I had a very bad experience where a tire blew out running down the interstate and the belt trashed out the front fender when it let go. Upon inspection it was determined it was not from hitting something and that the tire just came apart.    I had bought a Camaro with tires that were over 5 years old but I thought I could push my luck running them for a while.  Bad idea.  Of course, I do live in Arizona and it occurred in the summer but its just not worth taking a chance with old tires.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Every car made since 2007 has TPMS.  How are all these people driving around with 15 psi?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Newer tires dry rot MUCH faster then the old one's ever did. Don't know if it's due to different chemical make up or if something was removed but it's true.

My 1993 Miata has the original Dunlops still on it, not a hint of dry rot or cracking on them. I am keeping them on just to see how long they last.

I think since the mid 2000s they dry rot and crack much faster. Wasn't it somewhere around that time when they reduced the carbon black in them?
This guy plays Russian roulette Polish style.  6 shooter with 5 loaded chambers.  If you kill a family when your old tires explode, you lose your house and your bank.
They are probably much safer then all the dipshits SUV drivers driving around with 15PSI in their tires every single day. Hell, Ford still can't make an alloy rim hold air...........Maybe in  100 years they can.......
My factory ford alloy rims hold air, I check it weekly as part of my maintenance checks.

I think most people who drive around with low tires do so because they check their pressure so rarely, and there are many reasons a tire might slowly deflate, bad Schrader valve, bad rubber compound, bad bead seal, small puncture.

Rubber isn't rubber anymore, at least in that it doesn't come from trees, modern tires, and by modern I mean pretty much anything from the 70s on, are made from oil, and the "recipes" for the rubbers are different depending on expected tire usage.

The OP was wise to change it his tires, they are a consumable and really they are fairly cheap as far as maintenance and safety go
Every car made since 2007 has TPMS.  How are all these people driving around with 15 psi?
Dash looks like a Christmas tree?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got new tires today. Retired the 6+ year old cracked Michelins
View Quote
Nothing like fresh rubber
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent this in a PM to the OP but I figured I'd share with the rest of you.

Theres a difference between rot and weather cracking. Check around the bead (near the wheel) there will probably be a long crack running around there. If that's more than maybe 2mm deep trash them. Thats caused by excessive load on the tire.
Check the shoulder near where the sidewall meets the tread if there are diagonal cracks there it's from tourqe. Many times as a tire ages these things show up and are mistaken for dry rot.

If you have cracking on the sides that is very shallow and looks like scales you're looking at weather cracking. That is cosmetic and typical. If it looks like its crumbling and it's hard to read the printing, that's dry rot.

Call Michelin and start a claim with them. Tell them your upset that these tires are rotting off the car and you will have to try a new brand.

Tell them you dont feel safe putting your kids in the car. None of this seems to be untrue so dont take it as a scam. Be very nice and polite to those people and they will set you up with a local retailer and will get you a certain percentage off.

As far and tire companies that want to take care of and retain thier customers Michelin is the best.

I've worked in the buisness for a while and fortunately there is an option.

Also 6 years is where its recommended to replace tires. Check your DOT on the side of the tire to find out how old it really is.

Theres always a ton of tire threads on this forum and sometimes with some really stupid advice. Tires are not all created equal, not by a long shot. It's not a savvy shopper who puts the cheapest rubber on the road. You get what you pay for 100%.

FWIW I ride on BFG KO2, Yokohama, Continental, and Michelin tires in no special order.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top