Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 5:46:25 PM EDT
This is the Lexus version of the 4-Runner.  Is it as offroad capable as the 4-runner?  Are there any problems with this model?  It has the 8cyl, stick shift 4x4 lever, not that high off the ground, from SW USA so little rust.  No entertainment systems, no tow hitch, etc.  Asking 22K.  I'm tempted to save up more money and buy a 2014 or newer F-150.  But this caught my eye.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Have the 4.7 in my '03 4Runner, it's the most bulletproof engine I've ever had.  Fast too.  Deal doesn't sound too bad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Has the timing belt + water pump been replaced?

If it has XREAS, does it leak?

Front brake calipers ok (i.e. not seized)?

Secondary air pump sometimes goes out on them, it sounds like a vacuum for 10+ seconds after start up

Trans fluid ever been changed?

Condition of radiator/hoses?

4wd system work properly?

Possibly has air suspension, make sure that works 100%.

Thats very very low miles for an 07, seems like a granny car that didnt get driven much. Could be a nice catch with a little due diligence.

Im a 4 Runner guy but the GX has the same drivetrain as my V8.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
They are awesome vehicles for sure. The engine is one of Toyota's best. Very off-road capable, great in town and ride smooth.

Timing belt needs to be done around 100K, not sure if it's time dependent too. The rear air suspension is the main thing to be problematic on these. I'm sure it's good at that mileage though.

I bought a 2008 GX a few years ago at 100K miles and just sold it with 132K on it and had zero problems with it.  

But, that's too much money for that (even with the low miles).
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are awesome vehicles for sure. The engine is one of Toyota's best. Very off-road capable, great in town and ride smooth.

Timing belt needs to be done around 100K, not sure if it's time dependent too. The rear air suspension is the main thing to be problematic on these. I'm sure it's good at that mileage though.

I bought a 2008 GX a few years ago at 100K miles and just sold it with 132K on it and had zero problems with it.  

But, that's too much money for that (even with the low miles).
View Quote
The local Lexus dealer sold a 99 with about 80K miles for about that same price a little while back. They were asking $19,999 and I don't imagine they took much less than that, based on how quickly it sold. I looked at it on Friday and it was already sold when I brought the wife to look at it the next day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
they are pretty much land cruisers with nicer trim, designed for 300k miles or so and to be ridden rough. I have an 07 FJ with 70k miles and the motor is strong as hell and much of it is cheap to fix. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 10 year old toyota anymore.

Check ihatemud, 4runner forum, or land cruiser forums to get some info. I am thinking about upgrading (if/when I do) to a 460 or 470. i see a ton of old ones on the road every day down here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought an 09 back in February with 52k on the odo for $18,000.  It was/is in excellent shape and garage kept.  Your local market might be different, but $22k sounds high to me.

I haven't taken it off road yet, but from the research I've done they are very capable vehicles.

I come from a "Lexus family" so I was pretty familiar with how they drive and handle on the highway.  I'll be the first to take one off-road though,

Kelley Blue book lists that GX from $14.5k to $17.2 depending on condition....
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Great vehicle but way high on the price. You could buy a mint 07 Land Cruiser for around that. Does it have navigation? I would try to find one without, as the nav has the AC controls integrated, and it's pretty much impossible to update the radio.

The GX470 is based on the Prado 120 platform, as is that generation 4Runner. It's basically a really nice V8 4Runner. Nothing wrong with that, but it's NOT a Land Cruiser.

I have a 100 series LC (2003), and a 12 4Runner. Both great vehicles, but the LC is clearly a much heavier duty truck. The 4Runner is a lot more nimble. The GXs I have driven were sort of in between. Depends what you want.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The ground clearance is all that running board.  It has as much as a stock 4runner. But they put running boards on them.  A GX is a 4runner Limited with all the chassis stuff a 4runner gets except GX has the shift lever not the electric motor for 4 low.  Which is significantly better if you ask me.  It performs phenomenally well off road.  No really.  Truly has no problem as long as the trail doesn't require lifted vehicle to get through.  Non nav is typically preferred since if the touch screen goes you lose ability to control ac. Rear air may be problematic but mine has 175k and I bet it's original.  Interior space is decent. Not as much as the LX or land cruiser of course.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Like others have said, probably a good vehicle but that price is high.

Some things to check for when you look at it that could be used for bargaining on price:
Timing belt - 90k service
Radiator - might be ok, but they're commonly found leaking when they go in to do the timing belt
CV axle boots - rebooting isn't too hard but if they've been torn for a while then you need new axles (cheap or expensive depending if you choose oreillys crap, OEM, or something in between like CVJ remans)
Rear air bags - expensive to replace with OEM, there are one or two reasonable aftermarket options, or you could lift it and delete the airbags altogether)
Exhaust tick - listen on cold start-up
Dash cracks - they were replacing them for free but it ended earlier this year.  Maybe an exception for 2007 but I doubt it.
Nav - not exactly problematic (in fact, I don't recall a single person complaining about a failure) but outdated, virtually impossible to upgrade
CDL - Center Differential Lock.  I don't think it's a common issue, but sometimes they get sticky if not used.

There were some small changes throughout the years, like upgraded transfer case supports, adding an aux jack to the stereo, and variable valve timing being added.  I think an '07 should have all of those.  They seem to be pretty damn reliable, but any older vehicle will require some maintenance.  Aftermarket is growing if you're looking for off-road stuff or just general maintenance.  Check out the facebook group GX Off-Road (GXOR), as well as the forums at ih8mud, and toyota120.

I bought my '04 with 138k miles last August and paid a little over $12k.  I've put about 15k miles on it already, including hitting some passes in CO and a couple hunting/camping trips.  I haven't had any reliability issues, but I did spend some money right away to have the timing belt replaced (and radiator, surprise) and then replaced the CVs myself last spring.  Plus brakes, diff fluid, etc.  Lifted and slightly larger tires, plus replaced the running boards with rock sliders.  Just ordered a hidden winch mount with recovery points.  Loving it so far!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Like others have said, probably a good vehicle but that price is high.

Some things to check for when you look at it that could be used for bargaining on price:
Timing belt - 90k service
Radiator - might be ok, but they're commonly found leaking when they go in to do the timing belt
CV axle boots - rebooting isn't too hard but if they've been torn for a while then you need new axles (cheap or expensive depending if you choose oreillys crap, OEM, or something in between like CVJ remans)
Rear air bags - expensive to replace with OEM, there are one or two reasonable aftermarket options, or you could lift it and delete the airbags altogether)
Exhaust tick - listen on cold start-up
Dash cracks - they were replacing them for free but it ended earlier this year.  Maybe an exception for 2007 but I doubt it.
Nav - not exactly problematic (in fact, I don't recall a single person complaining about a failure) but outdated, virtually impossible to upgrade
CDL - Center Differential Lock.  I don't think it's a common issue, but sometimes they get sticky if not used.

There were some small changes throughout the years, like upgraded transfer case supports, adding an aux jack to the stereo, and variable valve timing being added.  I think an '07 should have all of those.  They seem to be pretty damn reliable, but any older vehicle will require some maintenance.  Aftermarket is growing if you're looking for off-road stuff or just general maintenance.  Check out the facebook group GX Off-Road (GXOR), as well as the forums at ih8mud, and toyota120.

I bought my '04 with 138k miles last August and paid a little over $12k.  I've put about 15k miles on it already, including hitting some passes in CO and a couple hunting/camping trips.  I haven't had any reliability issues, but I did spend some money right away to have the timing belt replaced (and radiator, surprise) and then replaced the CVs myself last spring.  Plus brakes, diff fluid, etc.  Lifted and slightly larger tires, plus replaced the running boards with rock sliders.  Just ordered a hidden winch mount with recovery points.  Loving it so far!
View Quote
My nav screen is starting to act up.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My nav screen is starting to act up.  
View Quote
Ruh roh.  Hopefully it's just a connector or something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ruh roh.  Hopefully it's just a connector or something.
View Quote
It has trouble telling where I am touching by the bottom left corner of it.  Intermittently.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The reason it's only got 60,000 miles is because it's always  either in the shop, getting electrical gremlins GUESSED at, or the owner is LOOKING for a new shop, to continue trying to GUESS what the heck is wrong with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The reason it's only got 60,000 miles is because it's always  either in the shop, getting electrical gremlins GUESSED at, or the owner is LOOKING for a new shop, to continue trying to GUESS what the heck is wrong with it.
View Quote
Not necessarily true...these vehicles were marketed to and purchased by older people who did not abuse them.

If you get the VIN you can look it up on the lexus owners site and it will tell you all the maintenance that has been done on it.  Most times they are always factory serviced.  Remember, these were vehicles that stickered in the $50k range.

I had a 2006 that I lifted with the OME setup.  Thing was a beast on the trails.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I love mine. Bought a 2003 with 150ish thousand miles on it. I got a steal and only paid 7k but I did drop a thousand in needed maintenance right off the bat. I love it compared to my 2004 4runner since I have more headroom.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
$22k for a 10 year old SUV?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems a bit high to me. 
I got mine from the dealer for $20k in 2015 and it had 90k in the clock. 
The thing is a beast. 
There was a recall for cracked dashes, FYI. 
Love the V8, but she’s thirsty the way I drive. 
Mine has the nav system and I hate it. 
Theres a GX group on Facebook that’s really active and IH8MUD has a lot of info on the 120 series too. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
They are solid and a better bargain than similar vintage 4runners. I was looking at them, but ended up buying a 100 series Land Cruiser instead. Most people that have owned both, recommend the LC over a 120. Mine is 18 years old, has 256k, but looks and drives like a much newer, less abused vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$22k for a 10 year old SUV?
View Quote
Haven't priced a used Landcruiser/LX/GX before, eh? 
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#20]
So did you get it?

Best car I’ve ever had.  So much nicer than my 09 Tacoma and Mom’s 17 4Runner.  Not even close.  Quick, surefooted, tank that’s quieter than a library. You can whisper conversations at 100 mph.  Not that I have...  

Got rear ended and had to get new plastic.  He had to get a new car.

I’d offer 18 and see what happens.

You mentioned the hitch.  It’s easy to put a hitch on it.  There is an in bumper style and and it’s also ready for a dealer instslled receiver hitch.  Both bolt right on for around $150 and less than an hour diy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top