Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2017 2:25:48 PM EDT
I’ve had a lot of older vehicles but never one with an oil bath. This new VW motor I’m sticking in my Baja has one and I must say I’m totally unknowlegable about caring for one.

I’ve always been understanding that they provide excellent filtration
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
My old land rover had an oil bath oil cleaner, other than making sure the clips were on tight, checking the filter and oil quality annually, they're pretty much idiot proof.

While I owned it a local volcano blue it's top, msm was screaming don't use your vehicle the dust will kill it, with an oil bath you can laugh at that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
About once a year drain the oil and clean the housing and replace with new oil.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
gtg. Just messy to change the oil and clean up thoroughly.
Mine was in ‘57 Chevy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Change the oil in it when you change the oil in the engine, just use the old dirty oil out of the motor.  I will suggest not using it, the stock oil bath filters aren't known for their high angle tolerance which won't be good off-road.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Change the oil in it when you change the oil in the engine, just use the old dirty oil out of the motor.  I will suggest not using it, the stock oil bath filters aren't known for their high angle tolerance which won't be good off-road.
View Quote
The most OFFroad this thing will ever see is a dirt road or at most idling through a cow pasture. There are much better mouse traps today for OFFroad use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top