Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 11:29:06 PM EDT
I received my last issue of Sport Rider today.
I have been a subscriber of the magazine since it first came out.

I think it's indicative of the state of the motorcycle market today, the folding of Sport Rider being a snap-shot of the sport bike segment.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You can count on digital media marketing as a factor too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can count on digital media marketing as a factor too.
View Quote
Most digital magazines suck.
You get some pretty pictures and that's about it.

What I have seen is that the print magazines get shortchanged on articles as the digital content get the entire article, not some readers digest version of the story or they get stories that are not included in the print magazines.

I want a print magazine when I am sitting on the throne, the last thing I want to do is take my smart phone in the bathroom so I can get fecal matter on it (you better believe there is shit in a bathroom no matter how well it's cleaned).
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe you are both correct.  Sad.  Kent K. ran a pretty good show.  Sportbikes always catch my eye.  I'm actually looking pretty hard at the Ducati V4, but the future of the class is somewhat uncertain.  Don't want to see the species go extinct.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a subscription for its first five years or so.  Really liked it but my interests changed.  

Still,  sad to see it go.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't read a magazine of any sort in close to 10 years. The internet is killing print media.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I haven't read a magazine of any sort in close to 10 years. The internet is killing print media.
View Quote
This

Print media beit newspapers, phone books or magazines are quickly going the way of the rotary dial telephone, music on physical media, typewriters and the telegram

I’m actually amazed any print magazines are left in existence. Even “Outdoor Life” is now a bunch of non glossy pages like your local harbor freight sales flier
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I was an occasional SR reader, but the bi monthly format left them behind the curve compared to monthly publications.

Then the Internet killed print.

I miss the older British mags like Superbike and Performance Bikes
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Magazines are busy committing suicide too, just like retail

between piss poor writing (aka press releases) and no up to date articles and rising prices, it's hard to find bathroom reading material

but the big problem?

Nobody reads anymore
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nobody reads anymore
View Quote
People read more than ever before.  It's just they are reading online material not printed-on-paper materials.

Motorcycle market dying -

Motorcycles cost as much as or more than cars*.
Mandatory insurance costs as much or more than for a car.
It rains/snow/gets cold, even in California, so a car is required.

These facts impact the new bike market but also adversely impact the used motorcycle market because of the high cost of insurance (~$1k/year by me).  

Motorcycles are becoming a hobby for wealthy people, so the market is shrinking.

* Ducatti Desmosedici RR costs $72.5k!!!!!  Of course, it does offer 170 HP but who can afford it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ducatti Desmosedici RR costs $72.5k!!!!!  Of course, it does offer 170 HP but who can afford it?
View Quote
Hello and welcome to 2007.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hello and welcome to 2007.  
View Quote
And it's only gotten worse since.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Roadracing World was/is the best motorcycle mag for sport bikes and racing. I loved that mag.

All of the others, except for a couple of UK mags have really regressed over the years.

Now, if I want to read anything, I just go online.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
* Ducatti Desmosedici RR costs $72.5k!!!!!  Of course, it does offer 170 HP but who can afford it?
View Quote

You could have at least picked a reasonable bike, not a special, limited-production, street-legalized GP bike.

Like this:

2017 Honda Gold Wing, starting at $24,699.

ETA:

It's a bigger indicator of the death of print media. I'm letting my subscription to Motorcyclist lapse. The rework of their format sucks - lots more white space, big glossy pics with fewer words, no more regular columns (so no more Keith Code, for example).
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Roadracing World was/is the best motorcycle mag for sport bikes and racing. I loved that mag.
All of the others, except for a couple of UK mags have really regressed over the years.
Now, if I want to read anything, I just go online.
View Quote
American Roadracing was the best "magazine" for sport bikes and racing.

RRW&MT = John's World.  

The old Cycle News East and West editions were the best all around motorcycle newspapers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#16]
That sucks.  Bet I don't get a refund for the rest of my subscription, still had a year and a half.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You could have at least picked a reasonable bike, not a special, limited-production, street-legalized GP bike.
Like this: 2017 Honda Gold Wing, starting at $24,699.
View Quote
I picked that make/model because it came up in another current thread.  There are so many bikes that cost as much as cars was the main point.  I'm sure that point was not lost on you because the $25k you mention for a bike is enough to buy a new car.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]
It's the internet.

Some of the car mags I used to subscribe to have met the same fate.

I don't receive any magazines anymore, and it isn't due to a lack of interest. Some of the magazine staff have adapted by shifting to other formats, and others have not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top