Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2017 8:33:26 AM EDT
So my daughter owns a 2013 Ford Escape.  Her front right parking lamps burned out.  And how does one access these bulbs?  

Jack the car up, remove the front right tire.

Remove 12-15 7mm screws.

Remove 3 trim plugs.

Pull wheel well liner back as far as you can and fold behind caliper.

Go under the hood and disconnect the filler tube for the windshield washer fluid reservoir from cross brace and remove.

Go back up inside front bumper and remove the two 10mm bolts holding the reservoir in place.

Pull motor/pump and wiring plug from reservoir while washer fluid runs down your arm.

Contort the reservoir in a position that you will forget when you try to replace to get it to come out.

Reach up into bumper, twist out sockets from lamp housing.  

Do your damnedest to put other arm up into opening to hold sockets while pulling out bulbs.

Replace all in reverse order.

Apologize to neighbors for sounding like the Tourrets Mechanic.

I miss the days when they had two simple Phillips head screws holding the lens in place.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Manufacturers have discovered that there is far more money in maintenance than vehicle sales.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell your daughter to watch this simple step by step video which did not require any of that.  She can do it herself.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2013_Ford_Escape_SE_1.6L_4_Cyl._Turbo/lights/parking_light
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
lol you'll enjoy swapping out the battery.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Manufacturers have discovered that there is far more money in maintenance than vehicle sales.  
View Quote
there is probably also a lot of this:

Designer: "here is the beautiful new Ford Fuckup!"

Management:  "Here, engineers, fit everything into the form the designers made."

Engineers:  "Goddammit, there isn't enough room for it all unless you want to turn 'change a headlight' into a 5-hour job."

Accounting: "We cannot afford to redesign it.  Engineers, make it happen."

Engineers: "Fine, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, and fuck the buyer too!!"

So ultimately you end up with 10 pounds of shit crammed into a 5-pound bag.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#5]
You are supposed to trade them in and buy a new one when a light burns out.

If they weren't so cheap on their hard to get to lights, they would have just put in a LED bulb and it would still be working 10 years down the road.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]
In order to change a headlamp bulb on my daughters equinox, I have to remove the front grill and disassemble the battery. It's ridiculous. They put all this extra crap covers etc on there knowing some people
will not be able to replace this themselves.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#7]
All the new vehicles are a pain in the ass to work in, that's why I'm sticking to my old 7.3
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. Ford isn't making much money on a bulb.

OEs only sell parts.....not labor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Management:  "Here, engineers, fit everything into the form the designers made."

Engineers:  "Goddammit, there isn't enough room for it all unless you want to turn 'change a headlight' into a 5-hour job."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is much more accurate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol, Ram trucks are really pretty easy to work on, but...

I serviced my transmission yesterday. There are two filters, a sump (pick up) filter the likes of which is on pretty much every automatic transmission ever built, and a screw on canister filter for the cooler return. Both of these filters are inside the (drain plug less) pan. Which is a marvel in itself that after half a century or more of automatic transmissions they still don't have a drain plug.

If they would have simply relocated the cannister filter to the outside of the transmission anywhere along the cooling path, there would for the most part be no reason to ever open that transmission unless it broke.

Maybe once in its life conduct a suck me fuck me fluid change, although with full synthetic fluid even that may not be necessary?

All that being said, compact vehicles with transverse mounted engines are almost if not as bad as a fucking van to work on for all the reasons the OP mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I serviced my transmission yesterday. There are two filters, a sump (pick up) filter the likes of which is on pretty much every automatic transmission ever built, and a screw on canister filter for the cooler return. Both of these filters are inside the (drain plug less) pan. Which is a marvel in itself that after half a century or more of automatic transmissions they still don't have a drain plug.

If they would have simply relocated the cannister filter to the outside of the transmission anywhere along the cooling path, there would for the most part be no reason to ever open that transmission unless it broke.

Maybe once in its life conduct a suck me fuck me fluid change, although with full synthetic fluid even that may not be necessary?

All that being said, compact vehicles with transverse mounted engines are almost if not as bad as a fucking van to work on for all the reasons the OP mentioned.
View Quote
Just a spin on canister filter like even my zero turn has [actually has two, one for each hydro] is all they need along with a DIPSTICK/FILL TUBE you FVCKING RETARD MANUFACTURERS AND ENGINEER TARDS!!! [yes, I really do hate those smarmy assholes that much for deleting the transmission dipstick and fill tube]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Op, this is why in every single thread about "should I buy this new or used whiz bang car" you will always see me recommend certain (usually the same) vehicles for people to purchase and/or stay away from due to ease and simplicity of maintenance.  Sadly a Ford Escape is not on that list as you've found out with a minor minor repair.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Op, this is why in every single thread about "should I buy this new or used whiz bang car" you will always see me recommend certain (usually the same) vehicles for people to purchase and/or stay away from due to ease and simplicity of maintenance.  Sadly a Ford Escape is not on that list as you've found out with a minor minor repair.
View Quote
And yet you lose all credibility on this matter constantly recommending a vehicle that half the engine is under the dash with no handy dandy doghouse like a van.

You don’t make recommendations you merely play up the usual fanboy bit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tell your daughter to watch this simple step by step video which did not require any of that.  She can do it herself.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2013_Ford_Escape_SE_1.6L_4_Cyl._Turbo/lights/parking_light
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol always visit you tube first.

eta  shit triple tap
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And yet you lose all credibility on this matter constantly recommending a vehicle that half the engine is under the dash with no handy dandy doghouse like a van.

You don’t make recommendations you merely play up the usual fanboy bit.
View Quote
Jesus Christ dude, do you have a white board with people's screen names and your manufactured beef or bullshit that you have with them written on it so you can make sure you never forget and can always bring up these "important" facts you hold so dear?  Sad man really sad.  I pity you, I really do.  But hey if it brightens your day I'm glad to help.

Just for you........

Oh and FYI incase you missed it, you'll want to document my comments for your log over in the Buick Lucerne thread where I recommended the Op to go with a GASP!!! Crown Vic Ford product!!! "Oh noes he didn't say to get a GM, how can this be!!!!"  
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ dude, do you have a white board with people's screen names and your manufactured beef or bullshit that you have with them written on it so you can make sure you never forget and can always bring up these "important" facts you hold so dear?  Sad man really sad.  I pity you, I really do.  But hey if it brightens your day I'm glad to help.

Just for you........

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/attachments/track-kill-stories-15/24375d1501311255-lt1-vs-ls1-race-ls1god.jpg

Oh and FYI incase you missed it, you'll want to document my comments for your log over in the Buick Lucerne thread where I recommended the Op to go with a GASP!!! Crown Vic Ford product!!! "Oh noes he didn't say to get a GM, how can this be!!!!"  
View Quote
I just want to see you admit just once that while YES they are faster than stink on poop (I’ll give you that) that fourth gen f-bodies are pieces of garbage in every other respect. From wrenching standpoint to quality of interiors to just generally being a squeaky rattle trap with typical 1990’s GM build quality or rather lack thereof

I will be able to let it rest then.

ETA I’m actually with you on LS engines. AFTER they’ve been yanked out of a dead pickup or POS f-body and placed into a good chassis

LIKE A MUSTANG
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just want to see you admit just once that while YES they are faster than stink on poop (I’ll give you that) that fourth gen f-bodies are pieces of garbage in every other respect. From wrenching standpoint to quality of interiors to just generally being a squeaky rattle trap with typical 1990’s GM build quality or rather lack thereof

ETA I’m actually with you on LS engines. AFTER they’ve been yanked out of a dead pickup or POS f-body and placed into a good chassis

LIKE A MUSTANG
View Quote
That hurts me ....

My fbody is still alive and kicking way after I sold it.

Well over 200k original miles, original bottom end and it's been sprayed and boosted to death.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just a spin on canister filter like even my zero turn has [actually has two, one for each hydro] is all they need along with a DIPSTICK/FILL TUBE you FVCKING RETARD MANUFACTURERS AND ENGINEER TARDS!!! [yes, I really do hate those smarmy assholes that much for deleting the transmission dipstick and fill tube]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ram still has a dipstick, are you referring to Toyota?

I had a '91 VW Passat (that ended my love affair with VW) that had a spin on canister filter on the transmission. It was on top of the transmission so when you took it off it emptied on top of the transmission. VW's answer to this engineering marvel was to not make a replacement filter. That's right, no replacement filter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LIKE A MUSTANG
View Quote
Lol the mustang of nearly every era is a garbage chassis that needs thousands in bracing and suspension mods to be even remotely capable of putting power to the ground

Griggs appreciates your continuous support
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video is bullshit. #3 where they reach into bumper completely skips the part where I really went over the edge and went full Tourette's.  They fail to mention the fucking washer fluid reservoir that sits behind the bulbs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ram still has a dipstick, are you referring to Toyota?

I had a '91 VW Passat (that ended my love affair with VW) that had a spin on canister filter on the transmission. It was on top of the transmission so when you took it off it emptied on top of the transmission. VW's answer to this engineering marvel was to not make a replacement filter. That's right, no replacement filter.
View Quote
Yep, bastard engineers with the little hands and two elbows. Yota isn't the only one though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LIKE A MUSTANG
View Quote
LOL I never said they were Lexus/BMW quality.  I said they were cheap performance just like a mustang.  Sure they fall apart (3rd gen more so than 4th) but that is 90% due to owner neglect and not staying on top of easy easy maintenance.  I've owned 4 of them and put at least 80K on each one and they looked showroom new inside and out the day I sold them because I took care of them.  My point on them was more so they are cheap, easy to work on, and again cheap to own.  We good now? ;)
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Op, I'll do you one better.  On my wife's car I'm about to change spark plugs on, you have to pull the intake manifold.  2013 Nissan cube.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#26]
just bust out the lense and change the bulb from the front, easy access next time...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  No reason to change when buyers keep ponying up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL I never said they were Lexus/BMW quality.  I said they were cheap performance just like a mustang.  Sure they fall apart (3rd gen more so than 4th) but that is 90% due to owner neglect and not staying on top of easy easy maintenance.  I've owned 4 of them and put at least 80K on each one and they looked showroom new inside and out the day I sold them because I took care of them.  My point on them was more so they are cheap, easy to work on, and again cheap to own.  We good now? ;)
View Quote
I really, really like BMW. So much in fact that I don't mind all the plastic trim bits that rain down on my head when I hit some expansion joints or slam the door too hard.  They're high-quality, dense bits anyway. Mmmm quality
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I always go to YT first...if it's been done, it's there.

Youtube "how to remove drivers door panel from a 2nd gen Tacoma"
Wife asked me why I had to watch the vid 12 times to get it right...

Yup...she's still there
How to remove door panels Toyota Tacoma X-runner Access cab & Double Cab
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I always go to YT first...if it's been done, it's there.

Youtube "how to remove drivers door panel from a 2nd gen Tacoma"
Wife asked me why I had to watch the vid 12 times to get it right...

Yup...she's still there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhYKzE_yBg
View Quote
That bitch is FINE!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That bitch is FINE!
View Quote
She helped me with myTundra doors

Well, from YT
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Strangely enough yes we are
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm not sure if I should respond to the original question, or the other direction this thread has veered into.

When I'm trying to add a new (to me) vehicle to my stable, I always look it over from the standpoint of "Well I'm the one who is going to be fixing this thing, so let's see how bad it would suck to replace common failure items."

I have decided not to purchase vehicles because of this. I also traded in a perfectly fine vehicle because it had proven to be a total pain to work on in every possible way.

I'm guessing most people don't look at things from that standpoint, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top