Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 12:41:03 PM EDT
Holy crap! This thing is a blast bought a brand new r3 yesterday and had a blast. I live on the Oregon coast and most the roads around here are twisty. The bike handles amazing. Admittedly this is my first bike and I'm still learning but I don't think for the price this bike can be beat.

alright here is an update:  its been just over a month since I bought this bike and have just rode past the 1000 mile mark. The bike feels slow but it is still plenty enough to have a great time on and not get into too much trouble. A few guys I ride with have cruisers which is very boring for me on a sport bike

for around town and taking twisty roads this bike is a lot of fun on the highway not so much. at 60mph in 6th its at 7ish K RPMS I can down shift to 5th and it still doesn't pull very hard. if I was going to do a lot of highway or freeway riding this would not be the bike I would choose 0-60 is quick enough but much past that it takes awhile to gain speed.

If I could do it again and buy my first bike I think I would still pick this one. it is very forgiving and feels like a rocket initially if you have never rode before. I plan on getting something bigger next summer but if im not able to I wont be heart broken. I bought a set of used leather jacket and pants from a buddy for a killer deal and maybe ill work into dragging a knee

as far as mods I have done. I added a set of TST front halo running lights/signals I got them in blue with smoked lenses which looks really nice with my blue and silver bike. I also bought a set of pitbull swingarm spools so I can lift my rear tire up for maintenance. I would like to do some other mods but do not want to spend a lot of money on this bike.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice choice.

For sub 100 mile days its hard to beat the current batch of 250-300cc bikes.  They will do 80+ mph unlike the ones from the 70's and 80's.

Always found it more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Great first bike!

Ride safe, ride smart, wear gear and learn everything that you can and you'll be harassing literbikes in the twisties in no time as you figure out what corner entry speed is all about.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Loving this bike! I put 120 miles on it since buying it yesterday afternoon and it gets 55mpg
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I was really tempted to get a new 300cc bike to learn on and "really" learn how to ride and corner well to run track days.

Little heavy for a 300 though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have always been a HUGE proponent of smaller CC bikes. I am as happy as can be to see the smaller displacement stuff getting released in the US.
To the point, all of the really good riders I have ever known all stated on sub 500cc bikes. For me, I sold my liter bikes and stuck with the 250 I had, then I actually started riding the hot rodded 50cc more, lol. Small stuff is simply put a blast!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
To echo the sentiments above on the virtues of small bikes - my Ninja 300 was my fourth bike. I specifically wanted to buy a fun little bike to blast around on.

I can't see ever giving it up. Ever.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Good for you!  Glad you like it

I started on a 1 liter.  If I go down at 50mph in a turn, it doesn't matter if I'm on a 1000 or a 300...the end result will be the same.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you added any accessories or contemplating any accessories?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
i do believe it is probably more fun to push a slow bike fast then ride a fast bike slow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I understand the update info OP....I'm a 35 year rider and owned many, fast, slow, cruiser, duals. Enjoy your purchases.
I'm now on my second KLR 650 and have riden this style of bike the most over the past 8 years. Even witha Honda 919, Versys 650 and 1000 in the garage, I ride the KLR.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i do believe it is probably more fun to push a slow bike fast then ride a fast bike slow.
View Quote
This.

But riding a fast bike fast is the most fun
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would like to do some other mods but do not want to spend a lot of money on this bike.
View Quote

Since you plan on getting another one next year, I wouldn't buy anything for it.  You will get 5¢ on the dollar for the mods on trade-in on a good day.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

But riding a fast bike fast is the most fun
View Quote
as much as I absolutely love wringing out my small single cyl. bikes or my triple I used to ride, my built GSXR750 used to leave me grinning the biggest.  something about twisting the throttle a little bit more coming out of a corner and having the rear step out just a bit before the front lifts as you straighten up just can't be beat
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting.  I'm 6'-2", 220 fat guy.  Good first bike?

I've ridden a couple 600cc sport bikes, but never enough to get comfortable with them.  I've been thinking about bikes lately..

I've had a few 400-500+ RWHP cars.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I'm 6'-2", 220 fat guy.  Good first bike?

I've ridden a couple 600cc sport bikes, but never enough to get comfortable with them.  I've been thinking about bikes lately..

I've had a few 400-500+ RWHP cars.
View Quote
Not a good choice for your build.  A sport bike is set up aerodynamically for a rider in full tuck.  If your gut won't allow that its funny to see but you wasted coin on aerodynamic body work you can't use.

Look for a standard, dualsport, or cruiser. Plenty of options in all three and standards and cruisers both have numerous models that break 125 hp at the crank.  With a skilled rider that's a 11-12 second quarter mile.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm 6'  280ish, I make my Hayabusa look like a 600cc toy. Works great for me, I did do bar risers and lowered the pegs for a more sport touring fit. Biggest thing on a big bike is not grabbing a hand full of throttle till you get some time under your belt. The power of a big one can be outright stupid. Makes a 600hp car feel like a school bus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top