User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As the Pani was full retard, this thing should be beyond insane.
View Quote
I miss my 1199... this bike will be amazing for sure!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm digging it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

your talking mechanics. Im talking looks..the front end looks like very other super bike out there. mechanically, its a total different animal.

Im a big duc fan, have owned 3 (900 SL, M900, 916)
View Quote
I get what you are saying.  I remember when you could glance at a bike and be like, eh Suzuki, eh Honda, eh Yamaha, holy shit a Ducati.  Now, I see a bike and I have to look for the badge or decals to tell what it is.  It is not a knock on Ducati.  All of the street bike designers seem to be sharing design plans.  They all look the same or very similar.  Sure an L-twin or trellis or other unique style frame are still unique design aspects, but they are also covered by the same looking plastics with the exhaust tucked under the seat.  

I went 748, 916, Monster myself.  I was trying to get the pressure off my back and wrists as I got older but even the monsters were too aggressive for me.  Not to mention, the vibrations are actually what was bothering me.  It didn't matter the bike brand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

lol

I look like that on every bike I ride
View Quote
<------ same here
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
yes please, in matte black just like that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I know it may be sacrilege, but I'm thinking a dark blue would look good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know it may be sacrilege, but I'm thinking a dark blue would look good.
View Quote

Red or black.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Red or black.
View Quote
I think it looks pretty good.  Stands out from the garden variety red & black Italian sportery:

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Intruiging.  I thought the R1M would be easier to push than the Panigale.
View Quote
Push, yes, and the R1M has better electronics. The problem with the Yamaha is that it's like a big R6, no power at all until you spin it hard and very little compression braking. Makes it hard to string corners together because all of your speed adjustments have to come with brakes rather than using compression braking. The duc is also a lot more forgiving on gear selection, it pretty much always pulls but the Yamaha is like riding a 1 liter two stroke. At 7500rpm, the exhaust valve opens and it gains nearly FIFTY horsepower in the next 2,000 RPM..... without the electronics it would be a handful. With the electronics it's fun but not the best way forward IMO.

Brakes are too much in the Duc though. They are by far the strongest brakes I have ever used on a bike, ever. The problem is they bite hard in the initial stroke and you bottom the forks before you even have enough finger pressure to modulate them. Maybe I'd get used to them, but I didn't care for them much in the twenty miles of twisties we did.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Comparison to outgoing 1299:

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNq5YT_r38[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Nov 5th right?

I really really want a 1299s but Im waiting to see what this bike has to offer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nov 5th right?

I really really want a 1299s but Im waiting to see what this bike has to offer.
View Quote
Nov 7, I believe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Hope to check it out up close at Javits
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
So....

Beyond the single sided swing arm (which is awesome) and the name brand recognition, what does this have over an RSV4?

I get that people want Ducati because.... Ducati.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It's why so many ADV riders want a BMW.

I'm trying to figure out if they just did this because their Italian competition has one that is awesome, or if they did it because they thought it was better and found ways to improve upon it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems to me that Ducati had gone as far as they could go with the V-twin, and that the V-4 offered a number of benefits including a higher rev ceiling.

Just a hunch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So....

Beyond the single sided swing arm (which is awesome) and the name brand recognition, what does this have over an RSV4?

I get that people want Ducati because.... Ducati.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It's why so many ADV riders want a BMW.

I'm trying to figure out if they just did this because their Italian competition has one that is awesome, or if they did it because they thought it was better and found ways to improve upon it.
View Quote
The new Stradale has a balanced counter-rotating crankshaft (no need for a counter-rotating balancing shaft, as with the RSV4), 90° V4 desmodromic (positively opened/closed) valve train engine with light weight cases (magnesium and aluminum) and variable length intake runners. The Aprillia is 65° and thus requires the balancing shaft (adding additional weight and the gyroscopic effect of the forward rotating crankshaft inertia is more difficult to overcome when turning at speed).

It also has a semi-wet crank case and knife-edge crank to effectively eliminate wet sumping at high RPM. The Aprillia has a wet-sump crank case and thick pork-chopped crank.

Ducati is at the upper limit of performance with the 1199R, which is the largest displacement allowed in WorldSBK (1200cc for V-Twin) and many other Superbike championships, so the 1299 can never be run in any notable championship. They had to come up with a design that could allow more power with less displacement, and adopted the same approach they took in MotoGP (1000cc V4 for the upcoming 2019 R-spec model). The street version will be slightly larger for extra around-town torque.

The single-sided swing arm will hopefully go away for the R version next year as the SBK effort wants a lighter, more torsionally rigid rear fork - something they cannot achieve with the current heavy single-sided part.

-k
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The new Stradale has a balanced counter-rotating crankshaft (no need for a counter-rotating balancing shaft, as with the RSV4), 90° V4 desmodromic (positively opened/closed) valve train engine with light weight cases (magnesium and aluminum) and variable length intake runners. The Aprillia is 65° and thus requires the balancing shaft (adding additional weight and the gyroscopic effect of the forward rotating crankshaft inertia is more difficult to overcome when turning at speed).

It also has a semi-wet crank case and knife-edge crank to effectively eliminate wet sumping at high RPM. The Aprillia has a wet-sump crank case and thick pork-chopped crank.

Ducati is at the upper limit of performance with the 1199R, which is the largest displacement allowed in WorldSBK (1200cc for V-Twin) and many other Superbike championships, so the 1299 can never be run in any notable championship. They had to come up with a design that could allow more power with less displacement, and adopted the same approach they took in MotoGP (1000cc V4 for the upcoming 2019 R-spec model). The street version will be slightly larger for extra around-town torque.

The single-sided swing arm will hopefully go away for the R version next year as the SBK effort wants a lighter, more torsionally rigid rear fork - something they cannot achieve with the current heavy single-sided part.

-k
View Quote
If the SS swinger goes, the underbelly exhaust will go with it.  Styling wise, it won't be as clean.  Will be interesting to see how far the R model departs from the others.  It would be a more radical break from the pattern if it's markedly different from the street models.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the SS swinger goes, the underbelly exhaust will go with it.  Styling wise, it won't be as clean.  Will be interesting to see how far the R model departs from the others.  It would be a more radical break from the pattern if it's markedly different from the street models.
View Quote
For WorldSBK, the underbelly exhaust isn't an issue as they use an Akrapovic under seat unit - and the proposed change is only for the limited run (500 units) R homologation model starting in 2019 (and I've only seen this speculated in one article that directly quoted the Aruba.it factory team's wishes). In the US, the street (non-R) model will likely retain the same exhaust and and swingarm as the 1299 - the Euro4 models may require a different exhaust to meet noise regs. A typical street/track day rider isn't going to need the extra torsional rigidity that a superbike class racer wants/needs, so I can't see the SS swingarm going away anytime soon.

-k
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
is it out yet?  patiently waiting...  
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks good.  Do want.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:31:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Details, details...

Standard

S

Speciale

Nekkid:

Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I need the monster that they stuff this mill into.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Good lord, I'd rock that fucking thing
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds perfect. Sound alone makes me want to buy one because it is marshmallow ugly. I like the tail but the rest is yuck. 

Edit: maybe it will look better in person.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#28]
The tail section sucks.
For a race bike, OK.
I want a tail section that can house the lights, turn signal, under fender and keep the water off of me.
I am not a big fan of the detachable rear fender.
That's just me.

Other than that it looks awesome!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds perfect. Sound alone makes me want to buy one because it is marshmallow ugly. I like the tail but the rest is yuck. 

Edit: maybe it will look better in person.
View Quote
The Speciale graphics are the way to go.  In a year or 2, there will be aftermarket plastics & tank covers in that scheme, with different colors even, just like the V2 Pani.

Beauty, eh.

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So....

View Quote
The new Priller has winglets! Wingletsssssss!

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Like teets on a bull.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
price?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
price?
View Quote
Wild guess... 20k base, $25k S, $30k special
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#34]
No way!?!?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No way!?!?
View Quote
I have a problem keeping the front wheel on the ground, but I don't think those winglets would help much
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
price?
The going rate for 2 wheeled Ferraris: $25K (base), $31K (S) & $46K (Speciale).
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have a problem keeping the front wheel on the ground, but I don't think those winglets would help much
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well guess I’ll be finding a used one
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Speciale graphics are the way to go.  In a year or 2, there will be aftermarket plastics & tank covers in that scheme, with different colors even, just like the V2 Pani.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2wohdf5.jpg

Beauty, eh.

http://www.bikesportnews.com/uploads/news_images/Panigale-V4-Special-Red-MY18-01-Book-testride-630x390.png
View Quote
The Panigale looks better in basic stock. The graphics certainly help but it still looks... bulbous. I like the headlight setup and I think the tail is unique in a good way. 
Really hoping it's one of those looks better in the flesh deals. 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a bad plan.  I'd wait at least a yr even if i wanted a new one, just to let the early adopters discover the bugs.  Ducs don't have the same reliability as the big 4 bikes.  The PV2 was a leap compared to previous gen, but it still had issues, but I have higher hopes for this V4 engine.

Also, bikes depreciate, & Ducs tend to be bought by more mature owners who take care of their toys.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Spent the last week riding the wife's Panigale while my BMW was getting maintenance. I may have to track one of these down! 
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not a bad plan.  I'd wait at least a yr even if i wanted a new one, just to let the early adopters discover the bugs.  Ducs don't have the same reliability as the big 4 bikes.  The PV2 was a leap compared to previous gen, but it still had issues, but I have higher hopes for this V4 engine.

Also, bikes depreciate, & Ducs tend to be bought by more mature owners who take care of their toys.
View Quote
i had an 081098s.  sold it when the 2nd child was born and ive been itching for 3+ yrs now.  

its completely unpractical for my life anymore, but i cant seem to get the want to go away
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i had an 081 1098s.  sold it when the 2nd child was born and ive been itching for 3+ yrs now.  

its completely unpractical for my life anymore, but i cant seem to get the want to go away
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i had an 081 1098s.  sold it when the 2nd child was born and ive been itching for 3+ yrs now.  

I hear ya.  Frankly, I could have just as much fun with less risk in a SxS, tooling around my property & on the state ORV park near by, not to mention taking it out when I'm shooting at a local logging trail.  Can't shake my love of racing machines, though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I hear ya.  Frankly, I could have just as much fun with less risk in a SxS, tooling around my property & on the state ORV park near by, not to mention taking it out when I'm shooting at a local logging trail.  Can't shake my love of racing machines, though.
View Quote
I have a polaris ranger 900.  It sure comes in handy during deer season and general use around the property.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Can someone explain to me (using small words) what is the advantage using the "reverse crankshaft", please?

BMW rider here. K1300GT, 160hp.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Got it now, thanks.

I wonder if the BMW boxer style engine or a V-twin makes a difference on rotation? I'm guessing not, but I'm not an engineer.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#48]
BTW, nice K bike
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top