Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the only AMC I ever liked. High school buddy had a 68 with the 390 4Spd. Torque monster for the day. Keep her going!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged, because I miss my 69 AMX, and want to feel worse about it.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice OP
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxSoldier] [#4]
Love it!!  I have a 74, it's black with the gold stripe on the hood.  Being an Indiana car though, the rust is pretty bad on the bottom half of the car unfortunately.  It's a 304 V8 with a 3speed on the floor, which seems different from most.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxSoldier:
Love it!!  I have a 74, it's black with the gold stripe on the hood.  Being an Indiana car though, the rust is pretty bad on the bottom half of the car unfortunately.  It's a 304 V8 with a 3speed on the floor, which seems different from most.
View Quote
I remember seeing 304 Javelin AMX's with 3-speeds occasionally when I was first getting into AMX and Javelins back in the 1980's.  Most that I recall were 360 or 401 cars though.  The last one I had was a black 360 4bl with the white stripe.  That was a fun car.
My brother has a '73 401 auto Javelin AMX that he says he wants to part with since he has three of them.  Solid car with the bodywork already done and ready for paint but still needs restoration and probably a motor rebuild.  Part of me wants to get it from him and part of me knows better.  Too many hobbies but it sure is tempting.....  This thread is dangerous.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kihn:
Very nice OP
View Quote
I am so jealous. Especially of his skill.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DeathHates:

I am so jealous. Especially of his skill.
View Quote
@DeathHates

Jealous of my car skills, my knife skills, or my skills in general?

I wish I had more updates but knives, hoarders and putting together a property purchase and new 1500 sqft car/knife shop has not left much time for the car.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you have issues with the door glass coming out of the regulator on your Javelin, or AMX?

The drivers side of my 69 AMX came out of the regulator every 3 months or so.
Nothing that was ever tried would prevent it.

I sometimes wonder if there is a difference between AMX and Javelin door glass (68-70 models) and I had Javelin glass in my door.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

@DeathHates

Jealous of my car skills, my knife skills, or my skills in general?

I wish I had more updates but knives, hoarders and putting together a property purchase and new 1500 sqft car/knife shop has not left much time for the car.
View Quote
I meant car skills. That shop sounds great.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AZCOP:
Do you have issues with the door glass coming out of the regulator on your Javelin, or AMX?

The drivers side of my 69 AMX came out of the regulator every 3 months or so.
Nothing that was ever tried would prevent it.

I sometimes wonder if there is a difference between AMX and Javelin door glass (68-70 models) and I had Javelin glass in my door.

Jay
View Quote
@AZCOP Are you talking about the window coming out/off of the tracks or the window adhesive that hold the window into its track frame failing? The first gen cars had the window bedded into that track frame with an adhesive that tended to fail allowing the window to pull from the frame. It was a common failure that people dealt with. The pass window had pulled out on this AMX so I cleaned the old adhesive out and bedded the window in with a modern urethane adhesive. I've had no problems with it since. If the old adhesive fails on the drivers door fails I will do the same thing. I've had neither door window come off the regulator track assembly.

The second gen cars had a different window and track assembly. The window was redesigned so it had two hole on the bottom allowing the use of screws to attach it to the frame. It also has a different regulator and track assembly.The window and track assemblies from the second gen cars are supposed to be a direct swap into the the first gen cars. I have never tried doing it so I can't say if it actually swaps or not. One thing to note while the doors will swap between a Javelin and AMX of any year the door windows are not a swap. The AMX window has a different slant on the rear section that meets with the quarter glass.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]
@AZCOP Are you talking about the window coming out/off of the tracks or the window adhesive that hold the window into its track frame failing?
View Quote
Adhesive failure.
It happened all the time, but only the driver's side.
Maybe because it was used more than the passenger side.
If I ever got another AMX, I have always hoped that more modern adhesives would hold better than the stuff used back in the late 70's early 80's.

I can't find anything on the errornet showing the different Javelin and AMX glass, but I can't help wonder if that wasn't it,, a contributing factor.
I do remember having to put something behind the seal at the rear side glass, to make it seal against the door glass when the door was closed.

The driver's side fender had been replaced, and I wonder if someone replaced the driver's side door with a Javelin door, but left the Javelin glass in the door.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Adhesive failure.
If I ever got another AMX, I have always hoped that more modern adhesives would hold better than the stuff used back in the late 70's early 80's.

I can't find anything on the errornet showing the different Javelin and AMX glass, but I can't help wonder if that wasn't it,, a contributing factor.
I do remember having to put something behind the seal at the rear side glass, to make it seal against the door glass when the door was closed.

The driver's side fender had been replaced, and I wonder if someone replaced the driver's side door with a Javelin door, but left the Javelin glass in the door.

Jay
View Quote
Did the door tag match the car/ vin?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Adhesive failure.

Jay
If I ever looked, I don't remember.
It was an AMC: Not exactly the masters of matching anything.

The dash tag they put on AMX's,,, didn't mean a thing.
Didn't learn that until decades later.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Adhesive failure.

Jay
View Quote
I don't think the door would have closed properly if ther was Javelin glass in an AMX
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 5:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#15]

If I ever looked, I don't remember.
It was an AMC: Not exactly the masters of matching anything.

The dash tag they put on AMX's,,, didn't mean a thing.
Didn't learn that until decades later.

Jay
View Quote
Correct on the dash tags.  I had the 52nd one built via the VIN in 1968 but the dash tag was in the hundreds.  I  don't remember what the number was tough.  

The door tag references paint and trim codes along with some of the VIN # digits.  You would be able to tell if the drivers door came with the car.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZCOP] [#16]
After listening to Damascus, I'm thinking now the door was original, but with messed up glass/regulator.
FWIW,,, my 69' AMX dash tag was 08283

Jay
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been trying to sort out the AMX electrical system in the last few days and ensure I have the systems routed and wired properly. I've got the headlights, brake lights and backup lights working properly. The heater blower, windshield wipers, cigar lighter and horn system functioning. I've got the stereo, amp and speakers wired in correctly and functioning. All I have left inside the car to get routed / functioning is the dome and courtesy light wiring. The wife and I pretended we were cruising and blasted some Charlie Daniels Band. Uneasy Rider was the first track we listened to.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol. I was listening to that song earlier and thinking how common pot was in older country songs of the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Last week I ordered one piece axles to replace the weak two piece units that AMC used. I figured it would take a while for them to arrive but I was wrong they arrived in two days. Since I have Friday off this week I decided to pull the rear end so I can take it and the new axles to my re-builder. I took a few pictures on the 50 year old unit for reference when reassembling everything. This car hasn't been on the road since 1993. It looks as if someone installed new brakes and drums not long before it was parked as there is no appreciable wear on anything.

Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#20]
What's the ratio, 3.54'?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the ratio, 3.54'?
View Quote
It came with a limited slip and auto so it should be 3.15 but the car was tracked at one time so I won't be sure until it's opened up. There could be anything from 3.73 to 5.00 if there were any Group 19 options installed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#22]
There was a guy that used to drive through our neighborhood in a 68 AMX with 4.44's.  It was always fun to hear him going buy the house at about 30mph.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#23]
After 3 full 8.8 rebuilds in the Mustang I swore not to do anything other than a 9".

I finally went 4 years without breaking anything.
Now I'm planning a second center section for the track.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally got everything needed to install the rear end and new leaf springs.

Freshly rebuilt AMC model 20 and leaf springs.

Hard too see in the picture but the old leafs had relaxed a lot compared to the new units.

One piece axles with screw in studs.

Dan's Driveline welded the tubes to the pumpkin as part of the rebuild.

All the parts blasted and ready for primer and paint.

Installing new bushings in the torque links.

Rear and springs under the car.

Once everything is installed the pre-load on the torque links needs to be set. The TSM calls for 6 11/16 inches between the axle tube and the frame measured from just in front of the bump stop. The manual doesn't explain how to do it though. Google searches bring up threads recommending jack stands under the axles and loading weight into the trunk until the springs compress enough to get the required measurement and pre-load. Most folks were puting 700-800lbs in the trunck to accomplish the task. I didn't feel like that so I used some small tie down straps to compress everything. It worked well and I didn't have to call any fat friends to sit on the car.

The torque link set and the fasteners torqued to 100ftlbs.

I'm waiting on new rear brake cylinders and a brake hose to finish everything up in the back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Very nice. You have talent.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#26]
I wondered about the torque link set up and how you set it up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Yesssss!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#28]
No pics to post but I spent the day installing the new brake lines and hardware in the rear of the car. I bench bled the new master cylinder and installed it. Next I talked the wife into helping me bleed the new brake system. Things went smoothly after I got two minor leaks tightened up. The car now has a fully functional brake system I also got the parking brake system adjusted and functioning.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Still a fan!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a car show tomorrow as part of the local Memorial Day celebration so I decided to trailer it down. She was a bit dusty so I washed and vacuumed before her trailer ride. The wife asked me when she could go for a ride? I told her she could sit in it on the trailer ride to the show.

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you have the front grill and bumper that you could slap them on before the show?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Do you have the front grill and bumper that you could slap them on before the show?
View Quote
Yes but both are in very rough shape. I could put the bumper on but putting the grill on would take a lot more time as I'd have to dig out all the support brackets and hardware from the attic. I've been holding off on getting the replacement bumper and grill until after I get the motor and transmission in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#33]
You going to put the black stripes on it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#34]
You going to put the black stripes on it?
View Quote
Proper twin stripes on Alamosa Aqua would have been white. The first shop that had it was going to do stripes for me, I ended up firing them. I spent 17k with the shop that finished the car and couldn't afford stripes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I took the AMX to it's first show. I bit the bullet as suggested cleaned up and installed the bumper. It was well received at the small show.

Link Posted: 5/27/2018 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome fucking car, OP!

It looks incredible
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Awesome fucking car, OP!

It looks incredible
View Quote
It's awesome.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I've always had a Jones for the 68-70 AMX. Nice work.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Started prepping the engine for installation. A few years ago I had a lifter collapse and partially disassembled the motor. It's been collecting dust for quite a while but I can't put off installing the lifters and buttoning things back up. I wiped the engine down, taped off things I didn't want painted and freshened up the engine color. Next I prepped the cam and lifters with break-in lube, installed the lifters in their bores and torqued down the bridged rockers. I then spent several hours cleaning up the Edelbrock intake and removing the old gasket material.  I installed the lifter valley gasket and intake manifold and called it a day. The transmission is in the back ground ready to be be bolted up to the engine.

A pair of AMCs in the morning sun along with the rest of our stable.

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#41]
What's that funny round, silver thing sitting on top of the engine, the one with the red label on it?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 10:45:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#42]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
What's that funny round, silver thing sitting on top of the engine, the one with the red label on it?  
View Quote
4bbl Edelbrock Performer Carb. It's just sitting there taking up space until I bolt the sling plate onto the manifold so I can put the engine and transmission into the car.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Spent the day doing some tedious stuff. Dug out all the brackets for hanging the alternator, kick down linkage for the transmission and throttle cable. Bead blasted and painted it all in a matte black. I also freshened up the paint on the transmission. I ran across the old electro mechanical clock and set it aside. Since I had to wait for all the freshly painted items to cure I tackled the clock. With 12 volts applied it ran for about three seconds and stopped. I opened it up and didn't find anything visually damaged or worn other than the contacts on the winder. This clock has a mechanical movement like a traditional wind up clock but it has a small ratcheting mechanism the winds the clock once every minute with the help of a relay. The contacts were a bit rough so I cleaned them up. After that I blew out all the dust and applied clock oil to all of the pivot points of the gears. I applied power and it fired up. It ran for three hours and appeared to keep time with the quartz clock in the shop. I polished the glass face and bezel and installed it in the dash. I polished up the plastic face on the speedo and tach unit and installed it also. The parking brake indicator works along with the turn signal indicators. I need to order some more bulb socket so I can determine if the rest of the idiot light function properly. I also need to do some research on adapting this speedo to the 727 transmission I am swapping into this car.

Link Posted: 7/7/2018 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Awesome project!  I love the 68-70 AMX's.  I'm gonna age myself...…...in '68, I was 16, I had my license, but no car yet.  A friend of a friend in "small town" southern Oklahoma bought a '69 AMX w/390/4 speed in the fall of '68 when the '69's came out.  Most of the muscle cars in "small town" were Ford, Chevy & Mopars.  His AMX smoked a lot of them!  I've been watching for one lately.  Since I've retired I've bought/sold/swapped a few old cars, if the right one came along, and I had room at the time, I'd probably buy the right one if I could.  Right now I don't have room for another hobby car, I'd have to sell one to have the room and the $$$'s.

Very nice work!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Coming along beautifully.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Spent Friday and Saturday getting things together in preparation of dropping the engine and transmission into today.  Bolted the two together this morning and dropped them into place. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the everything lined up as the transmission dipstick and fill tube is hitting the firewall. I'm looking into an aftermarket replacement tube or possibly fabricating a custom tube.

Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice.
Does anyone make the conversion kit for the 727 for the older BW M-12 replacements?  I assume linkages and drive shaft stuff.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#48]
Nice.
Does anyone make the conversion kit for the 727 for the older BW M-12 replacements?  I assume linkages and drive shaft stuff.
View Quote
There is an adapter kit for bolting a 727 to the 290, 343 and 390 engines. In this case I'm using a 401 engine that was designed to have a 727 mated to it. I had to get a drive line that was shortened about 2 inches. The linkage is suposed to be a direct swap. The kick down linkage can be a hang up for some folks. The original transmission had a switch on the gas pedal that activated passing gear. The 727 has linkage tied to the carb. Fortunately I stripped a parts car and saved the needed linkage 15 years ago.

The dip stick problem is because it got bent out of shape. I've tried getting it back into proper alignment but it's a lost cause. Lokar makes a flexible unit that is a direct replacement and allows me to relocate the dip stick to a more convienant place. It also should help eliminate the leakage that is common where the tube goes into the transmission.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#49]

There is an adapter kit for bolting a 727 to the 290, 343 and 390 engines. In this case I'm using a 401 engine that was designed to have a 727 mated to it. I had to get a drive line that was shortened about 2 inches.  The dip stick problem is because it got bent out of shape. I've tried getting it back into proper alignmet but it's a lost cause. Lokar makes a flexible unit that is a direct replacement and allows me to relocate the dip stick to a more convienant place.
View Quote
I remember changing out an old dipstick on a 304 once because the thing had a kink in it at the base and it leaked oil.  Can you get a OEM/ repro replacement these days?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Got the motor mount issue sorted out, the urethane bushings were causing a misalignment problem. Installed the carb and mocked up the kick down linkage, bolted in the starter, sorted out the alternator mounting and got the pulleys in place. I couldn't get the transmission mount in. I discovered the cross-member I have won't work with the 727 swap. I'm now in search of a cross-member from a 72-74 wide body Javelin. The drive line that was shortened has the wrong front yoke. I have to clean up the shorter yoke and swap it. I located some stock exhaust manifolds to replace the long tube headers that will drag the ground with the new front clip. The manifolds are too big for my blast cabinet so I'll have to take them to work and clean them up. I'm waiting on a bunch of parts to be shipped but I've got all the major stuff done. The wife keeps asking when she can drive it.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top