Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Jeep Pics - Let's see em! (Page 37 of 60)
Page / 60
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 546875674c6966650d0a] [#1]
Not as tricked out as some of the rigs here of course, but it's mine and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. My boys enjoy it too!

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 546875674c6966650d0a:
Not as tricked out as some of the rigs here of course, but it's mine and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. My boys enjoy it too!
https://i.imgur.com/oLveB4k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/k76k1fH.jpg
View Quote

Are those wheels from a JL?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Always been a XJ guy but got old(er) Jeep fever all of a sudden and have jumped off into a CJ-5 project.

The Jeep-
1976 CJ5 with a 304 V8, T150 3-spd transmission and a D20 Tcase.  It needs some TLC but I've began the process of getting it back into shape.  It does run and drive as of right now but has a little bit of rust in the floor boards and windshield frame and I'm wanting to take it back to a more stock condition vs how it is now.  The brakes are also in poor adjustment resulting in pulling hard left and even locking up the left tire under even moderate braking.  The steering is in need of a refresh, the steering shaft has a lot of play in the upper u-joint and the collar (not sure what it's called) just above the U-joint.  And the carburetor has a pretty bad fuel leak but fuels well.

The POs did some pretty janky wiring on the Jeep as well and modified the stock bumper in various ways.  Including welding supports to the frame which I'm going to have to get creative with a cutting wheel to get loose.

Anywho I'm glad to find this forum and hope to be able to come here for help in the future on this project.

This morning I got up and busted out a few hours of work getting the interior ripped out and a few other odds and ends removed like the home made roll bar and the rotting windshield frame.  One of the POs did some "interesting" wiring on the Jeep.  Should be a fun project and not too much effort to get back into decent shape.  Biggest stuff I think is going to be the rust repair of the floor board and rocker panels.

End goal is to get it back pretty close to stock.

Last night when I shoehorned it into the garage.

Janky previous owner wiring

That's 3 self tappers in the frame to ground a set of LED podlights :(

Lift shackles.  Those are going away and the suspension will get a full rebuild.

Previous owner wiring to make the LEDs work

Windshield frame rot

Most of the interior out.  I pulled the roll bar and wheel well carpet right after this photo.  Roll bar definitely looks home built/welded.

Passenger floorboard rot

Driver's side not as holey but still kind of bad.

Tried to salvage the windshield and botched the removal.

Shedding rust from messing with the windshield frame

It had some diamond plate rocker covers riveted in place.  I drilled the rivets and found what I expected.  Same spot on both sides.

Underhood the wiring is a bit of a mess and the airhorns are going bye bye.   Powertrain is AMC 304 V8, T150 3 spd manual, Dana 20 Transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and Dana 30 front.  The transmission needs an overhaul, it won't stay in first gear unless you hold the shifter in place.   And the Transfer case has a pretty stout leak from the rear output seal.  I'll probably overhaul it as well while I have the transmission out.

Yesterday I went to Lowes and picked up some Romex and a wall mount 220 outlet. The plasma cutter wasn't cutting it (heh) on 110 so added a 220 outlet to the south side of the garage. Once I got that in place the Plasma cutter was blasting through that mess of a bumper in no time.

Got the winch mess finally removed from the front of the Jeep leaving a few spots that will need to be cut further down and then flap wheeled. Got the grille and fenders off, then got the dash the rest of the way pulled off. The wiring is such a mess that I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for the drop in CJ5 wiring harness from Painless Wiring. I went to look at the body mount bolts and to get some PB Blaster on them when I noticed that one of the previous owners, probably the same one that put the winch on, also welded on the side tube steps but instead of welding them into a blank spot in the frame they decided to weld them into the body mount pockets on the frame. I cussed whoever did that shit for about 5 minutes.

This morning I woke up and tackled the side steps. I cut them about half way with the sawsall then used my breaker bar in the tubes to lever them around till they broke off. 2 of them broke off all the way at the frame giving easy access to the body mount bolts the other 2 broke off outside of the body mount pockets so I'm going to have to melt them out with the plasma cutter. Went ahead and pulled off all the soft top mounting hardware as well while I was in there. I may or may not get out there to do more today. It's supposed to be around 100.

I didn't cut this one.  It broke like that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bought this 69 CJ5 yesterday.  Wonderful condition!

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't think I've posted in this one.

First one, long gone, '65 CJ-5.

This one is stuck in Texas right now. '74 Cherokee.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My tank green 15 Rubicon 2dr, 6 speed. Mopar 2” lift.
Wife’s 18.5 JL four door, auto.
My Gladiator work/commuter with the same Mopar lift, six speed.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Got the tub off and power washed along with the frame.  We though the frame was full of mud.  Was actually full of dirt dauber nests.  Those things are quite resistant to even the power washer but I think i got the frame blasted out.  Got the caked on oil blasted off as well.  Going to roll the frame back into the garage today after everything dries out and going to start pulling the t-case and transmission later this week. Before I do that I'm going to hook the engine back up to the battery and do a compression test.  A few things need to be sealed up on the engine as well.  Still a ways to go but making steady progress.

Some more janky wiring by one of the previous owners.  Pretty sure it was a kill switch of some kind.  It was screwed to the bottom of the steering column.

The master cylinder is so full of gunk I'm not even going to try to salvage it.  Not for the 30 or 40 dollars a new one costs.

Throwing down some paint as well.  Been doing it one piece at a time.  Sanding a body piece one evening and spraying it the next morning before I leave for work.   In another week or so I'll wet sand each piece and bust out the polisher.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
06 TJ i picked up a few months ago , 56k miles zero rust , not crazy about the color

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vanilla_gorilla] [#11]
Couple of pics and a screenshot of last weeks trip to N GA

Oh, and a short video

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Have had an LJ for 8 years...

Decided with 2 kids and wanting a real front locker I picked up this about 6-7 weeks ago.

...and as of this past week.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By klinc:
Have had an LJ for 8 years...
https://i.imgur.com/i8aK7ivl.jpg

Decided with 2 kids and wanting a real front locker I picked up this about 6-7 weeks ago.
https://i.imgur.com/VkMIOdhl.jpg

...and as of this past week.
https://i.imgur.com/7Xv9clkl.jpg
View Quote

Do I spy gold under there?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:08:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#15]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Do I spy gold under there?
View Quote

Looks to be a metalcloak lock n load perhaps 4.5

(The rear brackets confused me)
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Went out coyote hunting this am. Didn’t call anything up, stopped & had lunch here:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Added some stuff:

Shrockworks bumper, KC lights, Front Runner bed rack, Warn winch w/synthetic line
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Made a trip last weekend to crawl with another big tire rig.  First run of the day we realized I was only turning 3 wheels, the right front hub wouldn't lock.
I skinny pedaled my way up a small hill after winching over some rocks.  We came back to the trailer and pulled the hub to find it full of mud and grit from the last wheeling trip.  
Half hour later we were back on the trail with all 4 turning.  I've got some bearing packing and cleaning to do on the front hubs this week.  

Wrangler YJ V8 3 wheel drive
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]

@vanilla_gorlla - What trails did you hit?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rosejackets67:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rosejackets67:

Cashes Valley, quite a few in the forest southeast of Blue Ridge and Charlie's Creek and then another that I can't remember, which took us up to a hill called Chestnut Mountain
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:14:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#23]
Originally Posted By Coopmandu:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21010/tempImageoUWbTb-1625608.jpg

1954 M38A1.  Picked her up last month.  Mostly still original including the 24V electrical.

View Quote

A doctor I knew in Missouri has one. Great pieces of history!

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Coopmandu:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21010/tempImageoUWbTb-1625608.jpg

1954 M38A1.  Picked her up last month.  Mostly still original including the 24V electrical.

View Quote

Want!

Current status of my CJ project.

Burned up a lot of paint and primer today doing the underside and inside of the tub.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Tore the AMC 20 rear axle down on the CJ.  One of the previous owners apparently did me a favor and put one piece axles in it at some point.  Got a good chunk of the work done.  Got the carrier bearings removed and new ones put on along with the ring gear.  Got the old pinion races out.  Tomorrow I will start going back the other way.  Not looking forward to setting up the pinion depth.  The original setup used a large shim under the bearing race.  All of the rebuild kits come with shims that go under bearing cone.  And none of them are of similar size to the original shim.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Pics from last weekend at the mall

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 5:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ISED8U] [#27]
New Raceline wheels went on today (top). It was work swapping out wheels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#28]

What steering you running there? I dont see a steering stabilizer. Is it a daily driver? Ive replaced damn near all my steering and did the zj upgrade. Now im re replacing the zj upgrade with moog zj stuff. Its got new ball joints on the axles, new steering stabilizer, new timken unit bearings, the last shop measurement was something like 6.5 degrees of caster. Ive been told rock the knuckles back it will steer better. Once the new moog stuff goes on  im going in for another alignment. Maybe ill try tightening the steering box a quarter turn to. Dont have the cash for a currie correctlink right now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:

What steering you running there? I dont see a steering stabilizer. Is it a daily driver? Ive replaced damn near all my steering and did the zj upgrade. Now im re replacing the zj upgrade with moog zj stuff. Its got new ball joints on the axles, new steering stabilizer, new timken unit bearings, the last shop measurement was something like 6.5 degrees of caster. Ive been told rock the knuckles back it will steer better. Once the new moog stuff goes on  im going in for another alignment. Maybe ill try tightening the steering box a quarter turn to. Dont have the cash for a currie correctlink right now.
View Quote

It’s my daily driver, the steering is custom made solid 7075 t6 aluminum drilled and tapped for the tie rod ends. You can bash it on a rock and it flexes but doesn’t take a bend. It uses Chevy rod ends They aren’t 1ton ends, but 1/2 and 3/4 ton I believe, I had to ream the knuckles out to fit the larger taper. No stabilizer needed if everything is set up right and not worn out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:

View Quote

Factory TJ is like 7° of Caster . If its lifted you need more ( roll knuckles forward ) not less . If you have adjustable uppers / lowers run as much Caster as you can without driveshaft bind . I couldn't tell you what my TJ  has for Caster nor do I care . I have Savvy links all around and just played with them until it drove great and the driveshaft didn't bind .
Mines not a daily driver but gets street  driven pretty regularly for the past 9 years . It's never had a Steering Stabilizer on it , and the Moog  ZJ upgrade has been on it for 8 years  , and bounced off rocks etc . Currie Correctlync is in the shop though
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNZ71] [#32]
I bought this for my Birthday
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mustb123:
I realize this isn't a technical forum, but we seem to have several knowledgeable Jeep guys/girls here.

So, here is my question. I have a 2017 JKU that is a Big Bear edition with the max tow package. Basically it came with the heavy duty rearend with traction lock and has 3.73's front and rear. Also, the factory wheels are 1/2' or 1' wider and I have about 43k miles on the original KO2's in 265/70/17.

Can I go up to say a 285/70/17 without having the PCM recalibrated? or will that cause me troubles? I'm trying to avoid the $ hit that is necessary when going to honest 35-37's.

I remember in the 2013 Mustang I had to get the PCM recalibrated when the 4.11's went in.

Thanks for the pointers.
View Quote

The new tire will be 1.1 inches taller, and your speedo will be off by about 2mph at 60mph. If you can live with that, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I realize this isn't a technical forum, but we seem to have several knowledgeable Jeep guys/girls here.

So, here is my question. I have a 2017 JKU that is a Big Bear edition with the max tow package. Basically it came with the heavy duty rearend with traction lock and has 3.73's front and rear. Also, the factory wheels are 1/2' or 1' wider and I have about 43k miles on the original KO2's in 265/70/17.

Can I go up to say a 285/70/17 without having the PCM recalibrated? or will that cause me troubles? I'm trying to avoid the $ hit that is necessary when going to honest 35-37's.

I remember in the 2013 Mustang I had to get the PCM recalibrated when the 4.11's went in.

Thanks for the pointers.
View Quote

It’s not too expensive to get a programmer

Aev pro cal
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

It's not too expensive to get a programmer

Aev pro cal
View All Quotes

Thanks for the pointers.

Aev pro cal

To piggyback on this post, research the Jscan app. Last I checked, you'll be able to recalibrate your stuff for about $50, though I haven't tried any of that. I use the Flashcal for mine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

To piggyback on this post, research the Jscan app. Last I checked, you'll be able to recalibrate your stuff for about $50, though I haven't tried any of that. I use the Flashcal for mine.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the pointers.

Aev pro cal

I use Jscan myself.  It works quite well and lets you configure many settings as well as fine tuning your speedo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:54:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BULLDAWG_556] [#41]
Jscan is by far the best out there. Cheaper than it should be also.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#42]
2012 JK just my daily driver
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Added JL hood latches and washed it. Nothing else new, I just love to look at it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, the CJ is still in the garage, but we got a JKUR!

The shocks were blown and one of the front coils was broken. I scored a never-installed RC 2.5 lift on marketplace and put that on along with JKS Fixed front lower control arms. It rides fine to me, but I’m sure I’ll be upgrading the shocks eventually. The headlights were dangerous so we got KC Hilites LED. And then some Pro Comp wheels showed up on marketplace sooo... things have been progressing quickly. Next is going to be a big brake upgrade (it’s due for brakes so why not) and eventually 35’s. I want to do metal fenders and a smaller front bumper... maybe a rear bumper. We’ll see. Brakes first.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I just got that. It’s basically $50 total for the app and the iGate Bluetooth. I disabled TPMS and cleared codes already. Good stuff
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

I just got that. It's basically $50 total for the app and the iGate Bluetooth. I disabled TPMS and cleared codes already. Good stuff
View Quote
Good to hear it works. My girlfriend will be downloading for her Jeep soon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Put a deposit on this today. 2014 w/ a stick. 57k miles.  I was 17 the last time I had a jeep.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
Put a deposit on this today. 2014 w/ a stick. 57k miles.  I was 17 the last time I had a jeep.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296599/55B155EA-92C0-4A62-B125-CF5583286492_jpe-1669834.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#49]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296599/55B155EA-92C0-4A62-B125-CF5583286492_jpe-1669834.JPG
View Quote

Nice!  The manual is awesome in slow and technical stuff.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

Not really. But it is more engaging to drive.
Page / 60
Tacked Jeep Pics - Let's see em! (Page 37 of 60)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top