Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2010 7:31:02 PM EDT
Bought a bike today!  Not even the one I went to look at.  I went to Gateway BMW today to look at and compare the 2009 G650X Country and a 2009 KLR 650.  While I was there looking at the G650X and the KLR, I also looked at and test drove a 2007 BMW F650GS.  I absolutely fell in love with the F650GS.  The riding position fit me to a tee and I loved the way the bike rode.  I'm sure the KLR and the X country would be more capable off road, but for what I want in a bike, I think the F650GS is about perfect.  I made a deal for the bike and payed for it today.  I'll pick it up Saturday.

The bike is an '07 with 15,xxx miles and has ABS, heated grips, a new rear tire, a BMW trunk, handguards and a Sargent seat.  Not sure I'm crazy about the seat, I may sell it and buy a stock BMW Dakar model seat for the bike (I like a flatter seat).

Here's the dealership photo of the bike.  I'll post some more when I get it home.

BTW, OMFG!! How come no one has ever told me about heated grips!  I test drove the bike in 40 degree weather and the heated grips are amazing!

ETA, I also like the idea that the '07 has a genuine Rotax motor built by genuine beer guzzling Austrians.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a fun ride.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Heated grips are pretty nice, but I don't has them yet.   I'm going to order some BMW grips to put on my ST1100, and will probably get some heated elements to put under them.  

That looks like a nice bike!  I bet it handles well!    Slap some cases on the sides and do some touring!
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
NICE!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!  There is a very clean R1100GS here that's been tempting me on craigslist.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Great bike.  

YOu think you like the heated grips, send that seat back to Sargent and have them make it heated.  Ahhhhhhhhh.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!

Welcome to the Beemer club!
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Congrats!

Thanks, I just rejoined BMWMOA.  I haven't owned a BMW for over 20 years.  I had an R75/5 that I rode the wheels off of before I got married and had a kid.

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sweet!

Thanks, Deej.  Hope you're doing well!

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a better picture I took at the dealership with my I-phone.  Can't wait to pick it up tommorrow!

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
What is with the current m/c styling and these useless little front fenders. My Concours has one too and I put a fender extension on it to keep crap off the front of the bike.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Every person that I know who has purchased a BMW (including myself) considers them as the apex of perfection!

Congratulations on you purchase, now sign up at BMW ON (owners news)
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Every person that I know who has purchased a BMW (including myself) considers them as the apex of perfection!

Well, not everyone...

OP, congrats...the GS is a great bike, and luckily for you...not propelled by BMW's final drive.

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's a better picture I took at the dealership with my I-phone.  Can't wait to pick it up tommorrow!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/07F650GS.jpg

Looks like a very comfortable!   Get out there and RIDE!
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Too bad my '09 F800GS is in the middle of a lemon law dispute.  Not feeling much BMW love these days.

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not everyone...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/91/248271178_cb1da74683.jpg?v=0

OP, congrats...the GS is a great bike, and luckily for you...not propelled by BMW's final drive.

Name me one final drive without issue. That being said I know it robs about 20 HP at the rear wheel but it is quite simply an amazing platform.

I have a combined 100K on 2 different bikes and know of the "problem" i just am not as quick as most to just put a blanket on it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not everyone...

Name me one final drive without issue. That being said I know it robs about 20 HP at the rear wheel but it is quite simply an amazing platform.

I have a combined 100K on 2 different bikes and know of the "problem" i just am not as quick as most to just put a blanket on it.

You failed humor 101 in high school, didn't you.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not everyone...

Just teasing, but BMW's final drive could learn a reliability lesson from Honda's, just sayin.

I don't like direct drive period, I like chains for a multitude of reasons but the principle is less weight and the ability to change gearing.

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not everyone...

Just teasing, but BMW's final drive could learn a reliability lesson from Honda's, just sayin.

I don't like direct drive period, I like chains for a multitude of reasons but the principle is less weight and the ability to change gearing.

The OPs bike has a chain
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not everyone...

The OPs bike has a chain

See my quote in red up above? I was congratulating him on NOT having a shaftie BMW.

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]
On Wednesday I picked up a 2009 BMW F650GS with only 7056 miles on it.  Fully equipped:  ABS, heated grips, Motorrad hard cases, Corbin heated seat, high wind screen, Stebel Max horn, cetner stand, the freaking works!  Virtually brand spanking new...

I've owned and operated everything from little Suzuki GZ250's through to Kawa's big GTR1400 (the Concours 14).  And I gotta say I LOVE this little BMW!  Somehow it just seems 'right'.  Plenty of power and acceleration (but not stupid gobs of power I cannot realistically use).  Very comfortable seating position.  Absolutely nimble handling.  A suspension that soaks up shitt road conditions.  And somehow the transmission and handling seem 'quality'.  Everything moves and operatel;y very smoothly, without dragging or hesitation, but with a definite feeling. Sorta like engaging the safety on a quality 1911.

The whole BMW naming thing is wacked.  Its called a f650 but its running an 800 parallel twin. This medium sized mill moves this bike really well!  

I dunno about the sargent but the OEM stock seat seems like the number 1 gripe about this bike.  Mine came with the corbin.  Its hard, but shaped well and distributes weaight evenly.  I have not yet done a long ride but suspect this is a tank-to-tank seat.

If you want additional information try these:

Adventure riding website
BMW F650 website

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've owned and operated everything from little Suzuki GZ250's through to Kawa's big GTR1400 (the Concours 14).  And I gotta say I LOVE this little BMW!  Somehow it just seems 'right'.  Plenty of power and acceleration (but not stupid gobs of power I cannot realistically use).  Very comfortable seating position.  Absolutely nimble handling.  A suspension that soaks up shitt road conditions.  And somehow the transmission and handling seem 'quality'.  Everything moves and operatel;y very smoothly, without dragging or hesitation, but with a definite feeling. Sorta like engaging the safety on a quality 1911.

Frozenny, You've just stated most of what I planned to post!

I got home with mine about 5:00pm after about an hour and a half ride home.  The ride home was St. Louis city traffic and then 80 miles of interstate finished off with about 5 miles of two lane blacktop.  I was just amazed at how incredibly well this little bike did everything!  In city traffic and on the two lane the bike is light, responsive and nimble.  On the freeway the bike was incredibly stable.  It wasn't fazed one bit by lane transitions, grooved pavement, gusty wind or tractor trailers.  I honestly thought the bike was much more stable on the freeway than my Roadking, which I felt "followed" every rut and groove in the pavement and was buffeted badly by semis.  The bike just has a "confident" feel to it.

I can't believe I been without a bike for two years and without a BMW for over twenty.  I don't think I'll be without one again.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not everyone...

No, why would yo say that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not everyone...

No, why would yo say that?

Probably because I was being tongue-in-cheek, and you took it funeral-serious?

Just a guess.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice bike, congrats.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bought a bike today!  Not even the one I went to look at.  I went to Gateway BMW today to look at and compare the 2009 G650X Country and a 2009 KLR 650.  While I was there looking at the G650X and the KLR, I also looked at and test drove a 2007 BMW F650GS.  I absolutely fell in love with the F650GS.  The riding position fit me to a tee and I loved the way the bike rode.  I'm sure the KLR and the X country would be more capable off road, but for what I want in a bike, I think the F650GS is about perfect.  I made a deal for the bike and payed for it today.  I'll pick it up Saturday.

The bike is an '07 with 15,xxx miles and has ABS, heated grips, a new rear tire, a BMW trunk, handguards and a Sargent seat.  Not sure I'm crazy about the seat, I may sell it and buy a stock BMW Dakar model seat for the bike (I like a flatter seat).

Here's the dealership photo of the bike.  I'll post some more when I get it home.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/2007F650GS.jpg

BTW, OMFG!! How come no one has ever told me about heated grips!  I test drove the bike in 40 degree weather and the heated grips are amazing!

ETA, I also like the idea that the '07 has a genuine Rotax motor built by genuine beer guzzling Austrians.

I don't want to soil your new buying experience but I want to save you potential embarassment by telling you that that fine piece of Austrian engineering is actually made in China.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to soil your new buying experience but I want to save you potential embarassment by telling you that that fine piece of Austrian engineering is actually made in China.

Sorry.

Actually, '07 is the last year for the Austrian 650 single.  One of the reasons I bought the bike, although not the main reason by any means.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.

IIRC, only the engine on the new 650 is made in China, in a BMW owned plant. Still carries the 3-year warranty, so apparently they're still confident in the powerplant's quality.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

IIRC, only the engine on the new 650 is made in China, in a BMW owned plant. Still carries the 3-year warranty, so apparently they're still confident in the powerplant's quality.

My current understanding of the Chinese BMW engines.

2001-2007 F650GS Singles = Austrian Rotax engines

2007-up F650X Country/Challenge etc Singles = Chinese engines

2007-up F650/800GS Twins = Tiawan 1st year, Chinese after that

2008 up G650GS Singles = Chinese engines

Some reports claim the Chinese engines use Austrian small parts and main cases made in Britian.  My dealership claims they've seen no difference whatsoever in the Chinese and the Austrian motors, although they often use the Austrian engines in their used bikes as a selling point.

If some one has reliable sources that would educate me further, I would be glad to see them.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Got to take about an hour ride this afternoon between a couple of other projects.  The bike continues to impress me.  I road about about thirty miles of twisty two lane blacktop and about 12 miles of one lane gravel road.  The bike handles great!!! The two blacktops I rode are secondary local roads with an abundance of 25mph and 35mph marked curves separated by small stretches of straight road with a lot of hills.  The bike was smooth and responsive, making corner entries and exits with ease. I wasn't playing Joe RoadRace, but was running the 25mph curves at 40 or 45 and the 35mph curves at 50 and 55 with out any real effort whatsoever.  The bike accelerated briskly from corner to corner and the brakes are great.

The bike also did very well on the gravel.  I didn't push it, riding 25-35mph on most of the gravel road with a few straight stretches running up to 45mph or so.  The Metzler Tourances that shine so well on the blacktop seem a little "skaty" on the loose gravel, but I expected that from what I had read online.  I don't think I'm willing to give up the bikes excellent on road performance for a more aggressive off-road tire.  

Overall, I had a great short afternoon ride.  It was Windy as Hell and the bike continues to impress me with it's stability.  I'm really glad to be riding again and so far I'm happy with the choice I've made for a new to me bike.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats!

Thanks, I just rejoined BMWMOA.  I haven't owned a BMW for over 20 years.  I had an R75/5 that I rode the wheels off of before I got married and had a kid.

I've a '76 R75/6 that I plan on replacing once I've worn it out.....like that'll ever happen.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
On Wednesday I picked up a 2009 BMW F650GS with only 7056 miles on it.  Fully equipped:  ABS, heated grips, Motorrad hard cases, Corbin heated seat, high wind screen, Stebel Max horn, cetner stand, the freaking works!  Virtually brand spanking new...

The whole BMW naming thing is wacked.  Its called a f650 but its running an 800 parallel twin. This medium sized mill moves this bike really well!  

I dunno about the sargent but the OEM stock seat seems like the number 1 gripe about this bike.  Mine came with the corbin.  Its hard, but shaped well and distributes weaight evenly.  I have not yet done a long ride but suspect this is a tank-to-tank seat.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/frozenny/PB161580.jpg?t=1290010442

If you want additional information try these:

Adventure riding website
BMW F650 website

Did you get it from Maxx BMW in Albany?
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Welcome to BeemerWorld.  Nice choice.
-R1100RTA here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats!

I've a '76 R75/6 that I plan on replacing once I've worn it out.....like that'll ever happen.  

Mine had 55,xxxx miles on it when I stupidly sold it.  I still miss that bike. It was black with the chrome sided toaster tank.  I had a Vetter Quicksilver fairing on it and set of BMW hard side bags.

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mine had 55,xxxx miles on it when I stupidly sold it.  I still miss that bike. It was black with the chrome sided toaster tank.  I had a Vetter Quicksilver fairing on it and set of BMW hard side bags.

My brother has the other BMW: it's a '75 R90 and it had the Vetter fairing; both his and mine have Krauser hard cases....no telling how many miles as the odometer spins on both of them.
Fill it with AV-Gas, oil and go!

Link Posted: 11/23/2010 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I was at the BMW dealer today picking up some grips to slap on my ST... and damn they had some eye candy in there!   I made myself leave so I wouldn't be too tempted.... not that I could afford anything right now.    That F650GS just looks so comfortable... I should have at least sat on it....
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I was at the BMW dealer today picking up some grips to slap on my ST... and damn they had some eye candy in there!   I made myself leave so I wouldn't be too tempted.... not that I could afford anything right now.    That F650GS just looks so comfortable... I should have at least sat on it....

Sitting on bikes is a gateway drug.

Link Posted: 11/24/2010 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No its not!!!

Pulling into the parking lot is!!!

I took my Arctic Cat 4wheeler in for service & I was doing all I could not to go up front and ...  touch ...  and sit on ....  and  ...  sign my freeking savings away!!!!!!!

7mm
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah.... They had a K1600GT sitting there.   OMFG.   OMFG.  That is one sexy beast!!   Can you tell I favor Sport Touring?
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah.... They had a K1600GT sitting there.   OMFG.   OMFG.  That is one sexy beast!!   Can you tell I favor Sport Touring?

I try to stay away from the dealership so I don't get tempted.

I haven't seen the new K1600GT yet but I have read several reports and seen the pictures, it looks like an awesome machine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top