Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 7:32:00 PM EDT
I have to add a couple ounces to the power steering fluid resevore every couple months. Dealership says the rack & pinon is leaking and wants $1,223.00 to fix.

Any reason not to just keep driving it as is and add fluid as needed?  $1200 bucks buys a lot of power steering fluid.

Only planning on keeping the car another 14-38 months.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
depending on where the leak is, it could fail abruptly and you would lose power assit.

Personally I would just add some stop leak to it for now.

you can replace it yourself much cheaper, but if you don't do work, then the bandaid will work till you get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of car?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
FWD Nissan
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#5]
You could probably get it fixed at a reputable independent shop for considerably less.

However, if you're only adding fluid every couple months, and you don't plan on keeping the car forever, it's probably not worth spending the money.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have yet to see a FWD Nissan (like yours) with PS rack leak. Lots of PS hoses. Not uncommon to find the hose from the reservoir to the pump seeping at the pump and dripping down onto the boot on the rack.

If it is the rack, and not leaking a lot, I'd buy the PS fluid. Even if the seal blows out completely it's not like you won't be able to steer the car. Just be harder to park
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have yet to see a FWD Nissan (like yours) with PS rack leak. Lots of PS hoses. Not uncommon to find the hose from the reservoir to the pump seeping at the pump and dripping down onto the boot on the rack.

If it is the rack, and not leaking a lot, I'd buy the PS fluid. Even if the seal blows out completely it's not like you won't be able to steer the car. Just be harder to park

Every time its in for service they tell me the same thing, that the rack and pinon needs replaced.

Oh, the crank shaft position sensor I asked you about a while back. Finally got it replaced. $288.00. Fortunatly i had a 15% off coupon. i drove it for close to a year with the SES light on and finally it started stalling so i figured i better get it replaced. Though they called it the cam shaft position sensor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every time its in for service they tell me the same thing, that the rack and pinon needs replaced.

Oh, the crank shaft position sensor I asked you about a while back. Finally got it replaced. $288.00. Fortunatly i had a 15% off coupon. i drove it for close to a year with the SES light on and finally it started stalling so i figured i better get it replaced. Though they called it the cam shaft position sensor.

The cam and crank sensors are the same. Same part number. In the Nissan parts system you look up either one and they're both called cam sensors. Nissan's weird that way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Have fixed quite a few P/S leaks that were minor by adding Lucas brand "P/S stop leak" Lucas link Stuff works pretty good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top