Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
We are now wondering if we should keep moving forward, or pause a little bit. The TTB and State Licensing could be delayed, which would be costly. And it could be hard to get workers in as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm bored, who wants to play a game? I made this list for the plumber, and I should be getting a quote today.

1- 16' Trench drain installed, I found a suitable pre-fab one online that is about $1200 for the drain (not including labor). I can provide specs if you need.
2- Bar (drip tray)  will need cold water and drain
3- Handwashing sink adjacent to the drip tray will need H/C water and drain
4- 3-compartment sink (production area) will need hot and cold water, drain
5- 3-compartment sink (bar area) will need hot and cold water, drain
6- Existing water heater replaced with Tankless water heater at the same location, 9+ GPM, something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rinnai-Commercial-9-8-GPM-199000-BTU-Indoor-Natural-Gas-Super-High-Efficiency-Tankless-Water-Heater/1000462093  
7- A 3-cartridge 20" water filter system installed, plus a pre-filter, similar to this (location- next to water heater):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ISPRING-3-Stage-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-w-20-in-x-2-5-in-Oversized-Fine-Sediment-and-Carbon-Block-Filters-WCB32-O/303353610

I have $13.5k budgeted for the parts and labor for all this work, including $1200 for the trench drain and $1800 for the tankless water heater. Does not include the cost of any of the 3 sinks.

ETA: well crap, with the stay-at-home order it looks like no work can be done in the foreseeable future.

I should really include some pics to spice things up.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

These are some pics from a specialty honey warehouse in CA that we visited last summer
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm bored, who wants to play a game? I made this list for the plumber, and I should be getting a quote today.

1- 16' Trench drain installed, I found a suitable pre-fab one online that is about $1200 for the drain (not including labor). I can provide specs if you need.
2- Bar (drip tray)  will need cold water and drain
3- Handwashing sink adjacent to the drip tray will need H/C water and drain
4- 3-compartment sink (production area) will need hot and cold water, drain
5- 3-compartment sink (bar area) will need hot and cold water, drain
6- Existing water heater replaced with Tankless water heater at the same location, 9+ GPM, something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rinnai-Commercial-9-8-GPM-199000-BTU-Indoor-Natural-Gas-Super-High-Efficiency-Tankless-Water-Heater/1000462093  
7- A 3-cartridge 20" water filter system installed, plus a pre-filter, similar to this (location- next to water heater):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ISPRING-3-Stage-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-w-20-in-x-2-5-in-Oversized-Fine-Sediment-and-Carbon-Block-Filters-WCB32-O/303353610

I have $13.5k budgeted for the parts and labor for all this work, including $1200 for the trench drain and $1800 for the tankless water heater. Does not include the cost of any of the 3 sinks.

ETA: well crap, with the stay-at-home order it looks like no work can be done in the foreseeable future.

I should really include some pics to spice things up.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144375/20190626_092313_jpg-1336006.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144375/20190626_092319_jpg-1336009.JPG
These are some pics from a specialty honey warehouse in CA that we visited last summer
View Quote

I do industrial mechanical and used to run a 20 million a year service and construction company.  I was guessing 20k before i saw your 13k so you're probably not far off.  I do dairy work so it's usually more expensive.

If you're cutting a lot of concrete and don't have close tie ins,  20k won't touch it.  If you thought it out and are trying to do it economically,  it probably isn't far off.  

I get a lot of requests like, "we need more water after we built the last cow pen, could we add a bigger pump to help?"

And after 2 days,  it turns into "can you run 2 miles of 10" pipe from the field well, under 2 roads, install controls and a small booster pump house with drives and backups. Then move the 100,000 gallon tank we aren't using in the front,  to tie into the other 6 in back?"

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I am trying to group everything to minimize the amount of cutting concrete that will be needed. But I do appreciate you chiming in because you have way more experience than me. Just for the heck of it, I should post the most recent diagram in .jpg form.

Attachment Attached File

Also here is a mead I recently bottled. The honey I used is some of the most expensive/rare honey in the world, about $15/lb (compared to ~$3/ lb for normal honey)

Attachment Attached File

I also found an amazing Cidery in the city. I am forming a relationship with these people because the product and the people are great. I am going to carry their cider in my tasting room, (at least 1 tap), they may end up carrying some of my mead in their tasting room.
I am excited because their cider is some of the best I've ever tasted- and they are only 4 miles from where I am looking at.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Meeting with the General Contractor, Plumber, and Commercial Realtor on Monday. We are going to get a quote for all the plumbing work I need done.

I also need to have some sort of railing inside the meadery. It's going to be some combination of steel and wood.

Attachment Attached File

This is OK, I think it would look better with something instead of rebar for the metal- I hate rebar...

Attachment Attached File

This looks nice too.

OR, I could do something like 2" x 1" 14 gauge tube steel, and just have the whole thing welded together, then drill holes and string cables in between.  Looking it up, the steel for such a project would only be about $200, plus labor for a welder, which would be the main part of the expense.

Here's the latest floorplan. I have been working with a brewery owner to optimize the space and also comply with what Colorado will want- mainly separation of the production space from the tasting room area. Which is a challenge with the bathroom in the back.

Attachment Attached File

Questions unanswered: Minimum width for the passageway to the rear? I am thinking 40"-42" wide
Will 1 bathroom be sufficient if I have a maximum occupancy of around 40 people?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
This makes me want to bust out my brewing gear thats just been collecting dust and make some mead.

I wish you very well and the wife and I will come by if we're ever in your neck of the woods.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Questions unanswered: Minimum width for the passageway to the rear? I am thinking 40"-42" wide
Will 1 bathroom be sufficient if I have a maximum occupancy of around 40 people?
View Quote

My research indicates: 36" is the minimum width. That's not a ton...
Also, 1 bathroom is sufficient for up to 16 employees, and for patrons, 30 women or 60 men. So... could have 16 women and 20 men, for instance, plus 3 employees.

EDIT: Just met with the GC. Interesting observations. He said the floor will cost a lot of money to do they way we want, because we'll need to grind it down with all the carpet adhesive on there.

The bathroom door is 32" wide and needs to be 36" wide for ADA reasons.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
So we are closing in on signing the lease again, and one of the owners is really concerned that he's going to be personally liable if the brewery gets sued.

In all my google searching I've never seen a brewery go under because it got sued to death. I know I'll be required to carry insurance for the (winery) which should cover any sort of liability issues that could arise.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So we are closing in on signing the lease again, and one of the owners is really concerned that he's going to be personally liable if the brewery gets sued.

In all my google searching I've never seen a brewery go under because it got sued to death. I know I'll be required to carry insurance for the (winery) which should cover any sort of liability issues that could arise.
View Quote

Some people, especially older,  have a constant fear of lawsuits. Almost always people that have never been sued in their life.

My parents used to remind me in high-school several times a week that if i blew a steering tire while pulling one of the trailers, I'd wreck,  kill someone, and they'd be liable.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#10]
We've moved past that issue. Hiring a new GC today, going back to the space. I'll snap some pictures today and grab more measurements while I am there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Working on the layout in Sketchup. Trying to utilize the space as best as possible.
@stutzcattle

Room for 11 at the bar, 7 at the front, and 20 at the tables.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Got a quote from the first GC. It seems pretty high for what they are doing. I'm contacting a second to get a quote... I should have done this last week. Lesson learned I guess. Stupid architectural drawings are 15% of the cost!

Especially since I already laid out everything and made a 3D model of how it'll look like.

Edit: Shit starts getting real when 5-figure jobs start getting thrown around.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Just found out that the bathroom is not ADA compliant (width is too narrow), so we'll have to demolish the entire bathroom and rebuild it in the same location. I'm hoping the landlord will chip in for this additional expense- estimates are $10-15k!
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Hopefully they will cover some of that.  Did you get a second estimate yet?  Maybe even look to shopping around for the architectural drawings, that seems steep, but i wouldnt know lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hopefully they will cover some of that.  Did you get a second estimate yet?  Maybe even look to shopping around for the architectural drawings, that seems steep, but i wouldnt know lol
View Quote

Yes, I am going to ask for them to cover some/all of the bathroom remodel.
I am getting 2nd and 3rd quotes, so I should have a decent idea if certain costs are higher than necessary.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top