Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 7:50:55 PM EDT
We have three young kids. My wife is luckily enough to be able to stay at home with them. It’s a tremendous stress relief to have dinner on the table, a clean house, and the kids well taken care of. Every now and then she’ll ask if I have any ideas as to how she can make money from home. I often wonder this as well. She’s a nurse and did so up until we had our third child. Working as a nurse for an insurance company is feasible from home, but with screaming kids and intermittent availability, it’s not appropriate for our situation.
Google has also failed me. Many sisters mention blogging or other various activities that aren’t what they used to be a few years ago.
As a side note, I would also be willing to put in a little time with her throughout the week at night together once the kids are asleep.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
snatchchat?

She can put her earnings in her "love wallet."

Not joking.  It's a thing.  Look it up.  But also I'm just joking.  It's your wife and I'm not really suggesting anything.  I just think the idea is funny.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have anything to add other then my wife stays at home with our three boys. Man, there is no amount of money I think I would take to give up a stay at home wife. In today's world it's one of the nicest luxuries we have.

Good on ya.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It is great your wife can stay home with the kids, woman get board at home though.
Good luck finding something. Has to be something good out there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
OP be wantin to get into sum pimpin'
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Some stuff I've seen housewives do over the years-

She good at sales?  Arbonne, Pampered Chef Lipsense, etc?

She good at decorating homes?  Interior design consultation.

She good at decorating cakes?

She good at taking photos?  A high quality camera and some charisma can earn nice side bucks.  Don't even have to print them, just hand over grandma's 80'th birthday party on a thumb drive.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Just don’t let her get involved with any of the multilevel marketing schemes all the women seem to flock to
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
medical billing
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just don’t let her get involved with any of the multilevel marketing schemes all the women seem to flock to
View Quote
Good lord this.  It's like hearing someone died when you get a call from an in law who has jumped head long into that shit and wants to sell you something.

I have considerably less respect for people who take advantage of friend or family connections to try and sell them stuff.  

Don't let it happen OP.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting posts in this thread.

Her expertise is nursing so focus on that. I say it that way as her typical hourly wage is probably at least $30 per hour so why monkey around with etsy/mlm type of things where you'll make $4 per hour.

I've heard of a few wives(nurses) successfully working 20+ hours a week from home via some of the following types of things.

Quick google-fu for some ideas.

https://www.theworkathomewoman.com/remote-jobs-nurses/
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#10]
After my third child was born, I went after a home daycare license and kept a few of my neighbor kids. Receiving money for daycare rather than paying money for daycare was a plus.  I wouldn't do day care today in today's world but I loved to cook so I often made small pans of lasagna or meatloaf and sent home dinner with my daycare parents so they could sit down to a warm meal without all the work on a weeknight. (for free because I loved them)   I see this type of thing popping up on facebook all the time now.  People will advertise home cooking and put out a menu once a week with a price for a dinner 4 four or 2 etc.  Service.  If you can fill a need you can make a nice income. If your wife is craftsy, the die cutting machines like Cricket are fun and a way to make personalized gifts.  I see people doing this for Halloween bags with names on them, customized water bottles or custom tshirts.   I have a friend that quit her full time job and does nothing but this. She started selling on Etsy and then built her own website.  She offers custom T'shirts for cruises and nurses. (she found a niche market and brings in about $800 a week now). So many things she can do.  The key is for her to enjoy it and then slowly turn it into profit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I have to say, I'm usually not a fan of MLM, but I have to share its power.

My wife's grandparents have a 110 acre farm. Some new neighbors moved in on 52 acres next door, they paid $665k, about two years ago. It's a beautiful property, acre size pond, horses, the works. Next to the gigantic barn, is a $500k motorhome. Next to that, is a $100k fishing boat. Why would you have a $100k fishing boat? Because you have a $350k house on Marco Island.

They're Diamond level with doTerra Essential Oils. And you always wonder what happens to all that money that gets donated to a non-profit to drill water wells in Africa? Yeah, they have one of those too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]
shes a nurse?

reviewing charts for insurance companies
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife works from home as a lawyer. She’s on a contract basis from a larger firm. It’s enough to offset her student loan payments and child care costs. We put the kids in daycare as the two oldest need the socialization and the oldest has some special needs that require therapy and it is easier for the the therapist to come to the daycare.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#14]
edit------had a better idea (research inbound)
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#15]
In for answers, my wife stays at home with our 2 boys as well, which is well worth it, but we could also use more money! 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I’d have to agree with most so far. Utilizing her nursing background would probably produce the best monetary results at least for the short term period. Ironically, she was just asked to watch her best friend’s two children twice a week. I don’t think she could handle doing anything else right now, so all business endeavors are on hold. However, the child care is short lived and will probably only last until June of next year. The chart review position mentioned sounds like a very flexible schedule which would be best. I would also agree that MLM/pyramid businesses are not the route for her to go. She’s done a few which I strongly advised against, and they eventually failed with little money made. Keep the ideas coming.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Check into medical help lines.  There are clinics that have nurse lines and some allow work from home.  RN's can make $15 an hour for pretty easy work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Does she have any photography skills?

Most outdoor pics are taken in the evenings and weekends and she could do the editing throughout the week from home.

Sr. Pictures
Family pictures
Newborn-3mo-6mo-9mo etc
Engagement pics

Or you could just give her some spending money ya tightwad
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#19]
also, check with local teaching hospitals or health departments. my hospital employs "telephone triage" nurses that work from home and decide weather a pt needs to go to the ER or if they can follow up with their PMD the next day
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
My wife stays at home. We don’t need they money but she does it to stay busy. She sells a multilevel jewelry. She doesn’t force it on anyone or try to sell to friends and family. she sells it online, and at a local trade days thing once a month. She brings in about 3k a month doing this and enjoys it. She spends a fair amount of time on it. It is not at all unusual for her to mail out a dozen little packages a day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And you always wonder what happens to all that money that gets donated to a non-profit to drill water wells in Africa? Yeah, they have one of those too.
View Quote
        I'm not familiar with non-profits, but $100K fishing boats peak my interest.  Are you saying they are making profit from their non-profit?  Or are you saying they make enough selling oils that they can be generous with getting people water?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with non-profits, but $100K fishing boats peak my interest.  Are you saying they are making profit from their non-profit?  Or are you saying they make enough selling oils that they can be generous with getting people water?
View Quote
They're open about taking an income from their non-profit. When they lost a key donor, their income from the non-profit was cut, which is what pushed them to selling oils.

I think when most people hear non-profit, they think no one that works in the organization gets paid, but this isn't true.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Yall could get some chickens and sell Fresh, Free Range, Local Organic Eggs.
People it that stuff up, literally.  Plus it could be a teaching / learning experience for the kids.

Go buy stuff at garage sale, and resell it on Ebay/ Craigslist / Letgo....ect....
I know some people that have done very well doing this.

Also maybe look at Disney & Disney Cruise specific Travel Agent
I think Disney will help set you up & teach you. Not sure if there is a lot of money in it. But it is something to do 

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I would recommend starting a small business, like reselling items on ebay. It would allow her to work from how and she could scale it up or down depending on free time.

The easiest way for her to be productive is probably to help cut costs.
look into extreme couponing, its not what it used to be but still money to be saved if she has attention for detail and doesn't mind tracking costs.
She can call around and get better rates on insurance, cable, etc... just threaten to cancel and they will provide you with promotional rates.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife sells free range eggs.  We get $5 a dozen from a local mom who has a home-based custom bakery.

Friends' wife sells on Amazon and Ebay and does very well--almost matching her husband's wage.  She is moving to Ebay as Amazon is a huge PIA to sell through.

Tutoring may be a way to go, online or in person.

We have four children so my stay at home wife does not want to take in more.  We home educate.

We're trying to find something, too, but until our youngest is older I went and got a second job.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Amazon’s fees are ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Become a technical day trader, I pull in about an extra $200 a day on average while sitting at my desk on work. Started learning at the beginning of July.

Roughly 250 trading days a year so 250 x $200 = $50,000 gross additional income.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Become a technical day trader, I pull in about an extra $200 a day on average while sitting at my desk on work. Started learning at the beginning of July.

Roughly 250 trading days a year so 250 x $200 = $50,000 gross additional income.
View Quote
What is this?  Can you describe a little what you do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top