Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2017 8:14:55 AM EDT
The way i read the options on what account to pick led me to a brokerage account.  Seems like a savings account i can invest from.

I told it $5k to start, but on the next page somehow i got duped into clicking another $5k.  So now there is $10k in there.  That's not really the issue, the issue is i have no idea what to do now.

I am reading that i am supposed to put that money into the EFTs and not the mutual funds because of gains taxes?  I know what gains taxes are, but is this a big difference between the two?

Can i only pick from the list of 100 or so choices?  Say i wanted to buy fiat or some other random stock, is that not an option?  Maybe there is a button that just lets them manage it, but i wanted to play around a bit.  Maybe put $50k or so in once i have some idea about what is going on.

Also, the market is really high right now, should I wait till it drops off some?

Sorry for the shitty short sentences, but i am typing from a crappy kindle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy an index fund to start, then start doing a lot of reading and learning?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#3]
i don't know. i do have some money in vanguard index funds and ira accounts.

i don't find their website to be user friendly. when it comes to explaining options you are given to click on.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy some funds like growth index, s&p500, small cap growth index, total stock mkt, explorer, Morgan growth, Wellington, high yield corporate fund for a good bond fund;   just go for it don't overthink it

the brokerage acct is where you park money , mf's are free, stocks will cost $6-7 which is reduced or free depending on amt of $ you have w vanguard

If you have 10k in a fund you will be converted to Admiral shares which have lower expenses

I've been in vanguard since early 90's,  large cap growth has been the best performer,

The only difference between etfs and mutual  funds Is the funds price at the end of the day and etfs price real time which is not a issue if you are investing and not trading;   you still get hit with cap gains in both
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a list of Vanguard ETF's.
https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/list#/etf/asset-class/month-end-returns

I like VTI and VOO.  VTI essentially spreads the money across the whole US stock market.  VOO spreads it out across the S&P 500.

They have options for foreign and sector specific ETFs as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top