Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 6:28:08 AM EDT
I'm assuming I can just pull the amount I want to put in it per year out of my savings and let Fidelity know I want to open a Roth IRA?
I already deal with Fidelity via 401K, so I would probably just stick with them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If you transfer the money to Vanguard you can trade their ETF's for free.

They charge $20/yr per account until you reach $10,000 in the account, then it's free.

I like VOO/VTI as long term low cost ETF's. They're cheaper overhead than anything Fidelity offers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you should be able to open an account online or over the phone.  Transfer $$$ to the Roth.  Just make sure you are eligible to contribute.

Haven't messed with Fidelity much lately, but they used to offer no-cost trading of many of their mutual funds.  Not sure how it is now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Fidelity for my Roth, and it was very easy to set up, and the fees are low. (Can't go wrong with Vanguard either). 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They charge $20/yr per account until you reach $10,000 in the account, then it's free.

I like VOO/VTI as long term low cost ETF's. They're cheaper overhead than anything Fidelity offers.
View Quote
$20/year isn't free....

You're also wrong about the expense ratios. VOO has an expense ratio of 0.04%, while my FSTVX at Fidelity has an expense ratio of 0.035%

Fidelity has gotten aggressive on matching/beating Vanguard expense ratios.

OP, since you already have a Fidelity account, setting up a RothIRA with them is super easy, and then can look at it all at one spot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Posting in two places:

How does one set up a Roth IRA for a 7 year old? They need to have earned income? I am not sure I follow how to get this accomplished.

Help?

-Dan
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I answered in the other thread but I may as well post it here too.

You have to hire him so he has income. Then he can either put that income in his RothIRA or you can donate money for it. He cannot contribute more than he has earned though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I answered in the other thread but I may as well post it here too.

You have to hire him so he has income. Then he can either put that income in his RothIRA or you can donate money for it. He cannot contribute more than he has earned though.
View Quote
Thank you for the information.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The fidelity S&P offerings through Ishares are also free to trade and .04% or less on fees. Fidelity and Vanguard are pretty much the same in regards to product pricing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The fidelity S&P offerings through Ishares are also free to trade and .04% or less on fees. Fidelity and Vanguard are pretty much the same in regards to product pricing.
View Quote
They charge me more in my 401k 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top