Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 5:27:52 AM EDT
Hey guys, I just joined up a little over a month ago. And tonight in my night class we are doing a mock Emergency Planning meeting and I am covering the National Guard's respose. Is it allowed for me to wear my BDU uniform that I have been issued for drill before I go to basic?
I am in the NC NG and ARMY ROTC

Thanks in advance
PV2 Brent Finnell
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:00:49 AM EDT
Unless they have changed the regulations since the early 1990's, you can only wear the uniform while on drill status, or to events where the uniform is authorized. The ROTC students I went to college with only wore their BDU's to class on the specific days they had ROTC classes or functions. You may want to call your unit and ask one of the full timers or one of the advisors at your ROTC unit to find out if they want you officially representing the Army on this issue.

Originally Posted By B-rent:
Hey guys, I just joined up a little over a month ago. And tonight in my night class we are doing a mock Emergency Planning meeting and I am covering the National Guard's respose. Is it allowed for me to wear my BDU uniform that I have been issued for drill before I go to basic?
I am in the NC NG and ARMY ROTC

Thanks in advance
PV2 Brent Finnell

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 6:04:35 AM EDT by B-rent]
Awesome, thanks for the reply! I'll give my recruiter a call and see what he says. Im still trying to learn all of the Army's crazy regulations

I guess I could always just wear a nat. guard t-shirt for it
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:00:17 AM EDT
Cant get ahold of my SFC, im guessing civi camo pants (abercrombie) and my boots would be ok though right?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:29:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:50:23 AM EDT
Your unit will issue you your uniforms. Whatever you do, don't show up looking like a fun show beef jerky dealer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:08:10 AM EDT
Just....don't.....really.

It might be perfectly legit as far as the uniform regs are concerned...still don't do it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:30:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 9:31:44 AM EDT by Bohr_Adam]
You don't even know if you can wear the uniform, but you are supposed to speak intelligently about the Guard's role in emergency response - as a PV2?

I am guessing this is just some BS schoolroom exercise. You should not wear your uniform. If you were at some real planning session with your State emergency management folks and were REALLY representing the National Guard, only THEN would it be appropriate.

Funny, but once you've been in a while, you'll probably look for every excuse NOT to wear the uniform.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 10:19:15 PM EDT by B-rent]
I wasnt looking for excuses to wear it, I was asked to by the rest of my group. Anyways I was told its fine to wear it as long as I wear it correctly and state in the presentation that the views are mine and dont represent the Guard. Anyways our group still isnt 100% sure what were doing as far as dress code. Im not really trying to give anything hard or detailed, just give a quick outline of when the guard can be used : ex. hurricanes, flooding, wildfires, riots, terrorism, overseas combat, etc.

Anyways dont want to sound like I took any thing offensivly.

I appriciate all the input
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:07:40 AM EDT
You are not allowed. You are only allowed to wear the uniform on duty. On duty, to and from duty, and I guess recently during official travel. Even active guys can't wear BDU's whenever they want.
Even wearing of Class A's is restricted. A lot more than active soldiers actually.

Get a copy of AR 670-1. It's a free download that doesn't even require an AKO account or password to get. Reimer digital library.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:01:28 AM EDT
Ok I talked to my group and told um it wasnt an option for me wearing in. Im just wearing a Guard promotional T-shirt and jeans instead. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Im guessing the T-shirt is ok though right since it wasnt an issued item? It was just given to me by my recuiter atfter my first MEPS was completed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:07:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By B-rent:
Ok I talked to my group and told um it wasnt an option for me wearing in. Im just wearing a Guard promotional T-shirt and jeans instead. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Im guessing the T-shirt is ok though right since it wasnt an issued item? It was just given to me by my recuiter atfter my first MEPS was completed.

Non-issued T shirt is fine, you will just look like a dork.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:09:56 AM EDT
Hey I'm just curious where your at in NC. I'm in NCNG as well just woundering where you where at in NC.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:17:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By venom11b:
Hey I'm just curious where your at in NC. I'm in NCNG as well just woundering where you where at in NC.

Im sent
Top Top