Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:36:16 AM EDT
I have a Dell 5100 and I am deployed.  My old roomate was using it to right his fitrep and he got some coffee on it.  Now the keys are not working and he is gone.  How can I fix the problem or do I need a new keyboard on my laptop?  Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:02:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a 5100 in front of me.  But IIRC there are two tabs at the top of the keyboard (flushmounted fairly subtle)  press those down towards the front of the laptop and you should be able to lift out the keyboard.  Be careful because it will be connected my a ribbon cable.  Remove the cable from the motherboard.

Give it a good going over with some alcohol and a cotton swab or two.  You may need to pry off some keys to get underneath.  

Reverse to reinstall and give it a shot.  Great thing about a laptop you can just get a regular keyboard and plug it in to the back in the meantime
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top