Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 8:15:04 PM EDT
I thought I'd run this by you all to see what you think

We have 2 seperate networks:

One has 4 workstations running Win 2000, and a server running Win Server 2003, this network takes care of our work planning, accounting, etc. no internet access.  It has an app that requires a server (Access Backend ERP system).  User have indvidual roaming profiles.

The second one is peer-to-peer has about 10-15 workstations running Win 2k and XP Pro (mixed).  One workstation serves as a file storage area.  It has a tape backup and is used for nothing besides storage  via mapped drives from the other computers.  Obviously there are no apps running that require a server and network traffic is really low.  We have no performance issues.  Single ADSL connection, consumer grade 4 port router, and 16 port hub.  Email is sorted on certain workstation via filters so they see ony their email, others see all.  This email arrangement is actually good believe it or not, and there will be a fight if I try to change it (although the method of sorting is up for grabs).  All these workstations do CAD/CAM, Excel, Word.  Individual users do not log on.  We have user names and passwords for each computer as a whole as they are shared in the shop.  Through our ISP we have email that you can send [email protected] and it will come through (ie [email protected] would work as well as [email protected])

What I need to do is introduce internet acces to the first network while not allowing either to access the others information.  Joe Blow doesn't need access to the accounting info.

I've contacted two companies and neither wanted anything to do with just setting up the network.  They wanted us to pay around $40/ month for workstation maintaince and around $250 for each server.  I was looking at $10,000/ yr all said and done to maintain the network.  They just didn't want a one shot deal, and I understand that as they could, in a sense, be working themselves out of a job.  But on the other hand I don't think we will see that return.  I just need a solid foundation.

What I would really like is one server for all with RAID, corporate level antivirus, network backup device, maybe run Exchange as well.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of years and would like to know what a solution would be.  VLAN, seperate domains, trees, I gotta read up on that.  Once it's setup I can maintain it.  I just need someone that can give me a good start.

So I have some leads for people that would be willing to set this up, what should I look for?

I realize it kind of a cluster F*** maybe and sorry for the novel.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
network 1 ---->  router   < ---- network 2

Internet is connected to the Router.

Network 1 and network 2 are seperate IP networks with seperate addressing.  ACLs on router permit access to and from the Internet to both networks but deny traffic from routing between them.

This is the "simple version" on how to make 2 networks connect to the same Internet connection without communicating with each other.

KISS principle.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:03:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, upon reading it.... why don't you just set up the Win2003 Server as a DC and add everybody to the domain?

Consolidate your data onto that server where it can be protected by RAID and/or backups.  Set share and NTFS permissions to prevent unauthorized access to data by employees.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Novell is your friend!!

I didn't even know they still existed.  I figured that all their shit would have been sold by a bankruptcy court by now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top