Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 8:53:35 PM EDT
Got a 10GB image from Nasa that is in .GZ format. Tried unzipping it with multiple progs but no luck. Opened it in photoshop as a RAW file but it's black & white and horrible quality.

Any suggetions?

Here is where I got it from...it's at the bottom. It is actually 2.9GB RARed.

visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_detail.php?id=7100
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If you use Windows, you need to raise the size of the Page File
to about 12 gigs or so.
Onboard RAM and a small page file will choke Windows easily.

UNIX machines have a better time with large files.
Linux memory swapping is not as good as UNIX but better than Windows.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
OK well I was only able to get the page file size to 4096MB even though I have much more space on the Hard drive.

Now that I look at the file it says it's a .bin file and I don't know what program will open that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting...

*.gz file usually mean they are "Gun Zipped" a compression format usually used on *nix machines. It's like a zip file. You should be able to extract/uncompress using WinRar. Once uncompressed you should be left with a *.bin file.

As far as I know *.bin files are binary data. Usually they are disc images, similar to an ISO. I would burn it using Nero.

not sure why the image is a *.bin file or why it is sooooo big.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Interesting...

*.gz file usually mean they are "Gun Zipped" a compression format usually used on *nix machines. It's like a zip file. You should be able to extract/uncompress using WinRar. Once uncompressed you should be left with a *.bin file.

As far as I know *.bin files are binary data. Usually they are disc images, similar to an ISO. I would burn it using Nero.

not sure why the image is a *.bin file or why it is sooooo big.

It's big because it's a picture of the earth that's over 100,000X100,000 pixels big. I tried mounting the image with Daemon tool and windows didnt like it when I tried opening it. I would just suppose that burning would have no effect either.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
the .gz is the compressed file... why they have it as a .bin file, I have no clue... doesn't make sense. If it is a cd image file, it should have an accompanying .cue file with it too. I'd download it and see what I could do.. but no way in heck I'm downloading a 3 gig file of an image :)

-d
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
winrar

newbies  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
winrar

newbies  

Newb nothing... Winzip opens them too..

-d
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]
WinRar > WinZip

WinZip = Trash
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WinRar > WinZip

WinZip = Trash

me ! care

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WinRar > WinZip

WinZip = Trash

How so? They do the same thing.. uncompress files!

-d
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
WinRar can handle alot more file extensions then WinZip. better compression. alot easier to break a big file into smaller compressed archives. the ablitiy to repair archives (although I think winzip might have implamented this too).

I've never seen winzip open a *.iso, *.bz2, *.tar, *.rar.

WinRar does all this and it's pretty too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WinRar can handle alot more file extensions then WinZip. better compression. alot easier to break a big file into smaller compressed archives. the ablitiy to repair archives (although I think winzip might have implamented this too).

I've never seen winzip open a *.iso, *.bz2, *.tar, *.rar.

WinRar does all this and it's pretty too.

Just checked.. Winzip handles 18 different files.. Winrar.. 14 different types. The only two that Winzip won't handle are .rar (of course) and .iso.

And did you say that Winrar is "pretty"?!?

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#13]
OK but I have a .bin picture...

So let's get back on task
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OK but I have a .bin picture...

So let's get back on task

Try looking for a program called "isobuster" and see if it will read the .bin file. My only thinking is that there is a size limit for .png and .jpg files... thus the reason they made it into a .bin file? Try ACDSee too to see if it will read it as a graphic file.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Put it through isobuster and it turned it into a TAO file.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Put it through isobuster and it turned it into a TAO file.

hmm... that is a new one.. Did Isobuster show anything to extract? If it didn't, try renaming the file to a .iso file and try it again with Isobuster.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I gave up. Thanks for your help though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#18]
100000x100000 makes 10,000,000,000 pixels.

24 bits per pixel (16.x million colors) would result in a filesize of about 27 gigabytes.
16 bpp would result in a filesize of 18 gigabytes.
8 bpp (256 color) would be about 9 gigabytes.
4 bpp (16 color) would be about 4.5 gigabytes.
2bpp (4 color)  would be about 2.25 gigabytes.
1bpp (b&w) would be about 1 gigabyte.

Based on the filesize you mention (10 gigabytes) it's probably 8bpp, either 256 color or 256 grayscale shades.  I looked around briefly at the site you linked to, and didn't find metadata that would give me any further insight into the images you found.

I use some pretty big datasets on occasion in geospatial analysis, but I'm usually working on smaller scale (state size, more often county or sub-county).  This thing is enormous.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top