Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/11/2006 11:55:48 AM EDT
My brother in law gave me his 8 yr old Gateway that was hit by lightning (power surge). I was wanting it just for the case and dvd-rom. What do I need to do to put in a new motherboard and processor? I have installed componenets but never have done a motherboard and everything else. It is a PIII 450 mhz, and the power supply is out. I was hoping to replace the power supply and find out it works but haven't got that far. I then started thinking about putting in an AMD processor for gaming and need some of the tech guru's guidance on this. Is it hard and expensive to do ? Should I just salvage parts and pitch this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:09:38 PM EDT
Honestly, I would ditch the case, and build from scratch. Very little, if anything is going to be salvageable and be good enough for a gaming system. Computer components are cheap nowadays, and newegg.com is your friend.

If the case is ATX, then you could re-use it if you wanted to. A lot of the newer gateways have their own proprietary designs, and some motherboards just wont fit in them, but that one is old enough that is may just be a standard case.

Whats the budget?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:30:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:39:50 PM EDT
How can you tell if it is an ATX case? I guess I am looking at getting it running for 10 yr old kid games, which work fine on a PIII 1 gig MHz, so I guess I need to rephrase it. I just want to make a cheap PC with good components, not high end. It is a 1999 model, I don't know how to tell if it is ATX
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:29:57 PM EDT
Here is the motherboard I am looking at. Will there be any conflicts going from a PIII to a AMD??
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 4:43:48 PM EDT by Ceeter]

Originally Posted By so2315:
Here is the motherboard I am looking at. Will there be any conflicts going from a PIII to a AMD??

No, you can switch the computer from Intel to AMD without any problems as long as you reinstall windows (or Linux) and the motherboard/processor are compatible with each other. I would also recommend buying a new case, you can get one for around $25 with a power supply.

ETA-

The motherboard you linked to uses DDR RAM, the Gateway you have probably uses SDRAM.

Also, here are some guides for building a PC
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Build_A_Computer

www.motherboards.org/articlesd/how-to-guides/924_1.html

www.pcmech.com/byopc/

www.buildyourown.org.uk/
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:49:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:43:41 AM EDT
Honestly you should look into a form factor PC AKA LAN Party box for gaming. It is easily portable.

Newegg is a really good site as well as tigerdirect. Here is an example of a LAN Party box.

Tigerdirect
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:46:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By voodochild:
Honestly you should look into a form factor PC AKA LAN Party box for gaming. It is easily portable.

Newegg is a really good site as well as tigerdirect. Here is an example of a LAN Party box.

Tigerdirect

I just built the AOpen EX761 listed first on the Tiger Direct web page. It's socket 754, not 959, but you get alot of bang for the buck. Add a processor, ram, a hard drive, a combo drive and mid-range video card and you are set.

Easy to build. Excellent and somewhat amusing instructions. I'd do it again in an heartbeat.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:56:35 AM EDT
Gateway sometimes uses non standard cases and power supplies in my experience.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:26:12 PM EDT
In thes mini towers did you have to use a seperate fan for the CPU ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:46:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By so2315:
In thes mini towers did you have to use a seperate fan for the CPU ?

If you are talking about the ones in the TigerDirect link, the one I built had a honkin' huge copper CPU cooler that was part of the barebones system.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:42:31 PM EDT
Top Top