Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 12:55:33 AM EDT
I've been a bit out of the loop, what are the primary programs used for encryption now a days?

I remember maybe a decade ago that a lot of website had a public PGP key you could use to communicate to with others securely but it seems PGP is no longer popular. Has encryption for emails/files changed or is there something new?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, are you talking about encrypting the hard drive(s) of your computer, or encrypting email or using secure messaging?

Lots of answers depending on what you're trying to do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, are you talking about encrypting the hard drive(s) of your computer, or encrypting email or using secure messaging?

Lots of answers depending on what you're trying to do.
View Quote
emails, secure messaging and hard drives.

When I used to use PGP, it did everything under the suite of PGP Enterprise...

GNU PGP seems to just do plain text and files though
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

emails (Protonmail, but both people have to be using it. It's much easier than PGP), secure messaging (WhatsApp, iMessage or Signal Private Messenger. Signal is the one you want. Again, both users have to be using it, but it's very handy, has self-destructing messages, a desktop app, etc.) and hard drives (Microsoft Bitlocker or Veracrypt for whole disk encryption. A fork off Truecrypt, which is no longer supported and is not recommended any more).

When I used to use PGP, it did everything under the suite of PGP Enterprise...

GNU PGP seems to just do plain text and files though
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
The commercial PGP suite still exists... Symantec bought it...

Encrypted email for enterprise, OpenGPG/PGP and S/MIME are the tried and true answers for public private key communication. Hardly anyone uses them unless somehow required to. Within a Microsoft Exchange Enterprise you also have IRM/RMS (Aka Rights Management) I guess.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
As it goes with encryption, both sides have to use the same tool. 

Disk:  Probably Veracrypt (I think it's open source, and was the TrueCrypt replacement, which wasn't open source)
Instant messaging:  if a mobile phone, Signal  (it does have a desktop app for Chrome, but mainly phone based is the expectation and one is required)
Email:  Like mentioned earlier, PGP just is a hassle with all the programs out there and plugins.  really a nightmare unless you control IT for a place and want everyone to use it.  Protonmail is probably much easier, but more for a personal setup, not commercial)
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for Signal for secure messaging and phone calls.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Disk:  Probably Veracrypt (I think it's open source, and was the TrueCrypt replacement, which wasn't open source)
Instant messaging:  if a mobile phone, Signal  (it does have a desktop app for Chrome, but mainly phone based is the expectation and one is required)
Email:  Like mentioned earlier, PGP just is a hassle with all the programs out there and plugins.  really a nightmare unless you control IT for a place and want everyone to use it.  Protonmail is probably much easier, but more for a personal setup, not commercial)
View Quote
TrueCrypt was open source, however the checksums from a compiled version and a binary are different. When asked, the "anonymous developers" didn't have a response. A few developers speculated TrueCrypt was an NSA front with backdoors. This has never been verified but is plausible.

I'm not an expert programmer but good enough to get myself into trouble. I'm a bit skeptical of a lot of "secure communications".
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
TrueCrypt was open source, however the checksums from a compiled version and a binary are different. When asked, the "anonymous developers" didn't have a response. A few developers speculated TrueCrypt was an NSA front with backdoors. This has never been verified but is plausible.

I'm not an expert programmer but good enough to get myself into trouble. I'm a bit skeptical of a lot of "secure communications".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of that is really accurate, aside from the fact people speculate a lot of things that aren't really plausible.

Truecrypt binaries have been built from source and verified.  See the link below, which also does a great job of explaining why it's very difficult to do this.

https://madiba.encs.concordia.ca/~x_decarn/truecrypt-binaries-analysis/
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
None of that is really accurate, aside from the fact people speculate a lot of things that aren't really plausible.

Truecrypt binaries have been built from source and verified.  See the link below, which also does a great job of explaining why it's very difficult to do this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading the link provided, I stand corrected. Thank you.

However I have always had a slight distrust of TrueCrypt because the developers remained anonymous and I was not aware it was discontinued.....why?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

However I have always had a slight distrust of TrueCrypt because the developers remained anonymous and I was not aware it was discontinued.....why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to say.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
+1 for Signal for secure messaging and phone calls.
View Quote
A link to make it easier for everyone to use Signal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]
EDIT:  It's best to use the plain editor here.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

PGP is complicated but powerful.  You can use it to encrypt, sign, or sign and encrypt.  And you can do binary data, too.  I believe GnuPG supports the PGPv9 specification.

And signing has its uses.  For example, if a moderator were to alter this post, the signature would no longer check out.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYIAB0WIQSalXyT1BS6Z5MHIA6JYhlTjH5oSQUCWfQM5gAKCRCJYhlTjH5o
SWjUAQChVJmLzF/XkaC3BOvodtPn6TDeYsZhOh1xf3vnEtUHSAD/Xgqohgn3l3/1
JnbqtBVsVRLjKhCyPZzygx4RIyQVLws=
=Nv6p
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top