Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 11:12:09 AM EDT
Jerkwater site didn't want me to copy a couple of paragraphs for a teaser, so you get an image instead.

I don't agree with everything they say, but they do make some good points.

No Such Thing as a Remote Employee
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have worked from home for 6 years now and it will be very hard to go back in the office if I ever leave my current employer.

I am actively looking for a new job and it will take a substantial raise to convince me to deal with a daily commute, again.  And I hate my employer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My company just built out a new space in a different location to save money. Guess what they didn't do. If you guessed put enough seats in the building for every employee you would be correct.

Their response to every employee complaint has been, "don't like it? work from home."

My commute just doubled to the new location, which has limited (and more expensive parking outside of the immediate area of the location), in an area rife with crime. "Don't like it? Work from home."
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
did it for 5 years and they took it away.
left the company and came back because the new commute was worse.

hoping they go back to it, but not holding my breath.

other places I looked also don't offer it and the few that do don't want to pay the going local rates.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife took a crappier job so she could wfh every day.  

And now she hates it.   She's one of those weirdos that wants to talk to people.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve worked from home for about 8 years now and I do have to travel to customers sites for sales calls. It will be very hard to go back to an office one day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish they'd tell me to work from home. I can do my job from freakin' anywhere with an Internet connection. I don't need to be in the office.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Even the gubmint is starting this nonsense.  I say nonsense because most of the people "working from home" suddenly become visibly less productive after about the first week or two.  It's obvious.  The collaboration just isn't there over conference and vconference.  I like being able to ambush... I mean, stroll into offices and visit with people.  

Of course, I could cut 75% of the department and it would make no difference besides making things much more efficient via the elimination of all the noise they create while performing largely pointless tasks.  In that regard I suppose it really doesn't matter where most of them are.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even the gubmint is starting this nonsense.  I say nonsense because most of the people "working from home" suddenly become visibly less productive after about the first week or two.  It's obvious.  The collaboration just isn't there over conference and vconference.  I like being able to ambush... I mean, stroll into offices and visit with people.  

Of course, I could cut 75% of the department and it would make no difference besides making things much more efficient via the elimination of all the noise they create while performing largely pointless tasks.  In that regard I suppose it really doesn't matter where most of them are.
View Quote

If you can’t trust a person to work from home you can’t trust them in an office either.  WFH is job and common sense driven, some types of projects require people in a room.  Some are fully capable of being done on webex.

I enjoy a job where time gets split in the office and at home.  So get to keep social interaction and productivity at the house.  I have a “leave me the fuck alone” light for my desk so people just don’t walk up and wasting my time mid process.

I see it in some fed where common sense applies.  Obviously some will never allow it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
What are you guys doing in your work from home jobs?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
largely pointless tasks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The cost of computer equipment is significantly less than the cost of square footage to house employees. My employer encourages WFH for many positions. I will say that WFH can deprive you of some advancement opportunities. You miss out on some of those “bathroom/hallway conversations” where opinions are formed and decisions are informally made before being formally made.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like being able to ambush... I mean, stroll into offices and visit with people.  
View Quote
nothing made me more productive than having people interrupt my work for no meaningful reason.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
nothing made me more productive than having people interrupt my work for no meaningful reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like being able to ambush... I mean, stroll into offices and visit with people.  
Yup all of those people in the office who do nothing but wander around bothering people, preventing them from doing their jobs, just so they can chat.  I don't have any of that time wasting crap at home
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I tele two days a week and work anything over 8 from home on the rest of the days. Tele is far more productive, less distractions. The company is spread out all over the world and interacts. Why do I need to drive in every day if the guy in Mexico is not driving in as well....?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top