Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2017 3:09:05 PM EDT
I have an HP Envy 17 that I got in 2012 and it took a shit.   It won't power on, when you push the power button the power and F10 button's lights flash on for a second.   That's all it'll do.   I took it apart and I see nothing obvious, I tried it without the HD and with each of the RAM sticks by themselves.  It has always ran hot as hell.   It appears to me that the motherboard is bad.   I can get a motherboard for less than $100.   Do you think it worth it to replace the motherboard or should I just get a new laptop?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I pushed the power and F10 at the same time and after sitting for 10 or 15 minutes it turned on.  Anything I should try while it's on? 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I pushed the power and F10 at the same time and after sitting for 10 or 15 minutes it turned on.  Anything I should try while it's on? 
View Quote
Make a complete backup?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm good  with the backup, I meant as afar as figuring out whats wrong with it.   I noticed that when I didn't start the LED by the power plug would cycle between white and red being mostly red.  Now it is white again.   Maybe the power brick is going bad?  The battery is bad.  I use it like a desktop so I haven't bought a battery for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top