Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 2:01:44 PM EDT
I have a senior this year who has provided 4 years of excellent work and service. I am also very close friends of the family. Any ideas for something different and spectacular for senior photos? I wouldn't mind buying some gear for this if I need to. I currently have a couple of flashes and a tripod. I know that's far off from where I might need to be for some of the ideas which will come out of this I hope. 

We've already done one like this and I think it turned out just as well. She wanted one like that, but it's one of those things I don't understand. Why is that person blowing confetti all over their year? Why is that girl standing on a chair in a pond? Does that person lying on the railroad tracks have a death wish?

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I just googled "senior photo ideas". They're all horrible. I mean, really awful. I'm so sorry. There's nothing I can do for you. Is it too late for her to drop out and get her GED instead?

eta: These aren't so bad.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I would agree for the most part. I just don't understand most of them.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I do really like the one with the yearbooks. This girl has worked for me in YB for years now so she wants to incorporate them into the pics. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I see you addressed this, but it bears repeating, for others to see...

Please overcome the urge to use active railroad tracks as a backdrop.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see you addressed this, but it bears repeating, for others to see...

Please overcome the urge to use active railroad tracks as a backdrop.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote
and an "urban" doorway

and a weathered barn wall
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

and an "urban" doorway

View Quote
What's an urban doorway?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Get her a sombrero and a fake mustache. Across the pic, photoshop "My Señor Photo".
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's an urban doorway?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and an "urban" doorway

What's an urban doorway?
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1440&bih=799&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=doorway+senior+photos
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get her a sombrero and a fake mustache. Across the pic, photoshop "My Señor Photo".
View Quote
I like this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the clarification. I'll add "why is she standing in front of the door to a crack house" to my list of things I wonder about senior photos.

I too like the idea of the fake mustache and sombrero. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I went out to a state park with her on Saturday and it went about as well as one could expect given the conditions and the fact that we had no real plan or location scouted. I'll get some pics up soon.

ETA: Here are a couple that don't show her face. I really enjoyed the ones we did which were different than the usual stuff you see. I liked the silhouette. 

IMG_5618edited

IMG_5660edited 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went out to a state park with her on Saturday and it went about as well as one could expect given the conditions and the fact that we had no real plan or location scouted. I'll get some pics up soon.

ETA: Here are a couple that don't show her face. I really enjoyed the ones we did which were different than the usual stuff you see. I liked the silhouette. 

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4475/37181857494_dfe03cbf23.jpgIMG_5618edited

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4467/37860517722_63deef5a3e.jpgIMG_5660edited 
View Quote
If you don't mind a bit of critique here....

They are exposed and processed nicely.

Two things that just kill it for me are the horizons.

Top photo should be straightened up and centered. You're using the bridge as a frame. No one likes a crooked frame.

Bottom photo should have the horizon line below the head or above it, not going through it. the big black...thing... coming out of the back of her head is distracting.

Overall, thanks for not doing what everyone else does. I hate the idea of senior photos mainly because of all the crap thats out there. I've doen a few, but usually just refer out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
How about a side shot of her walking down the sidewalk with her head in a book for the college admissions of her choice carrying a rolling suitcase behind her?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Top photo should be straightened up and centered. You're using the bridge as a frame. No one likes a crooked frame.

Bottom photo should have the horizon line below the head or above it, not going through it. the big black...thing... coming out of the back of her head is distracting.

Overall, thanks for not doing what everyone else does. I hate the idea of senior photos mainly because of all the crap thats out there. I've doen a few, but usually just refer out.  
View Quote
I appreciate the notes greatly. 

In the first photo are you talking about rotating the photo so everything is level? I haven't done much work to that one (or any of them for that matter). I totally agree with what you're saying if what I got out of your comment was what you were trying to convey. In regard to the horison in that photo, where would you have put it? I took that shot from a few angles, but liked the "out of the camera" look of that one the best. 

In the second photo I see exactly what you're saying.  I did a pretty poor job there, but I assure you it's better than when she was a few feet to the right of the frame and a fallen tree in the water made it look like she had quite the appendage coming off of her pelvis. Yikes.

Thanks again for the feedback. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How about a side shot of her walking down the sidewalk with her head in a book for the college admissions of her choice carrying a rolling suitcase behind her?
View Quote
That's a good idea. I haven't seen that one yet either. Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#15]
What about getting her friends together for 'senior' photos?

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In the first photo are you talking about rotating the photo so everything is level? I haven't done much work to that one (or any of them for that matter). I totally agree with what you're saying if what I got out of your comment was what you were trying to convey. In regard to the horison in that photo, where would you have put it? I took that shot from a few angles, but liked the "out of the camera" look of that one the best. 

In the second photo I see exactly what you're saying.  I did a pretty poor job there, but I assure you it's better than when she was a few feet to the right of the frame and a fallen tree in the water made it look like she had quite the appendage coming off of her pelvis. Yikes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rotated based upon the white strip:

Attachment Attached File

YOu don't need to rotate so that everything is level... just rotate so that the primary visual indicator is level. For example, if the white strip wasn't there, you would rotate so that the right side handrail post was vertical.

Personally I'd crop the handrail out because you have lens distortion that will prevent you from getting the white line AND the post squared up.

Attachment Attached File

Second photo's horizon doesn't bother me as much
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My Daughters senior pictures had our dog in some and her in her Kayak In the river in others.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Rotated based upon the white strip:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26797/37181857494_dfe03cbf23-2-343602.JPG

YOu don't need to rotate so that everything is level... just rotate so that the primary visual indicator is level. For example, if the white strip wasn't there, you would rotate so that the right side handrail post was vertical.

Personally I'd crop the handrail out because you have lens distortion that will prevent you from getting the white line AND the post squared up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26797/37181857494_dfe03cbf23-3-343611.JPG

Second photo's horizon doesn't bother me as much
View Quote
Thanks for the tips and the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to do that up for me. 

I also like the senior citizen photo idea. That one is fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top