Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 3:51:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you shoot RAW it doesn't matter, you assign the color space when you export to jpeg (or other formats) for displaying on the internet, printing or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
adobe98 was where we worked at NGM
sRGB was an hp microsoft set up for CRTs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_RGB_color_space
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you shoot RAW it doesn't matter, you assign the color space when you export to jpeg (or other formats) for displaying on the internet, printing or whatever.
View Quote
Yeah, this.

I shoot Raw virtually all of the time, and use Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop for my processing.   I have my color space set to Adobe RGB in the camera but, Camera Raw ignores that, and opens the file as whatever you have set in the program.  I have Camera Raw set to to open my raw files as a ProPhoto RGB, 16 bit, 300ppi file.  After I make my initial adjustments, I then open the file in Photoshop, and continue on with my processing.  

So I do all my processing in ProPhoto RGB because it is an even larger color space, than Adobe RGB.  After all processing is complete, I can then convert the file to sRGB, or Adobe RGB, depending on the final use.  That means sRGB for the web, and since I don't do my own printing,  I simply use whatever color space the printing company tells me to use.  

If shooting jpegs, I would definitely use sRGB in the camera.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wouldn't it matter if printing? Especially if you use an online vendor..
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, you should use what the vendor specifies when you export the processed RAW files.  For Costco I use the specific printer profile for the store I get them printed at.  See
https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

If you are shooting jpeg then it depends on what you plan on doing with the photos.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, you should use what the vendor specifies when you export the processed RAW files.  For Costco I use the specific printer profile for the store I get them printed at.  See

If you are shooting jpeg then it depends on what you plan on doing with the photos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use Costco myself, but I can't find profiles for their canvas prints.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I use Costco myself, but I can't find profiles for their canvas prints.
View Quote
They don't list profiles for canvas. The generic profiles are available here
http://www.profilemyphotos.com

But you may be better off using a canvas printer who can provide print profiles. Otherwise maybe trial and error for the canvas from Costco?

In other discussions online about this others have said the canvas seems to come out darker than they intended. They have also said that they've looked at them when picking them up and have been able to reject them and not have to pay.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I did some more digging and nobody that I have seen has found who Costco is using to do the canvas prints.

I looked at other vendors and most seem to want sRGB.  I noticed that Bay Photo has a profile for soft proofing, but they want sRGB for some prints and AdobeRGB for others.

Here is Bay Photo's page.
https://support.bayphoto.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2144592-bay-photo-lab-s-icc-profile

They cost quite a bit more than Costco.  Not sure if you could print canvas smaller just to see what works (even rejecting those that look too bad) and then once you have that worked out you could go big.  They are quite a bit cheaper than other sources.

I am thinking for this you can't go wrong with sRGB.  That is what they are going to be expecting from 99% of customers.  If you wanted to use something different you would need to trial and error.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
i have found that if you don't use the sRGB colorspace that everyman uses when you print at walmart, you are bound for frustration

there used to be a drycreek imaging guy that maintained a database of color profiles and target files to manage noritsu output at costcos and walmarts

hey! he is still there

Where to find a lab with a digital printer 
Our database has one of the most extensive listings available. It is far from complete, so some pointers for finding other digitally equipped labs follows.In the US, many Ritz Camera (Ritz, Kits, Wolf), Wal-MartCostco, and Sam's Club locations have Frontier, Noritsu, or Agfa digital printers. Other nationwide stores including Walgreens are slowly adding digital printers. In the Western US, Long's Drugs are sprouting Frontiers. Many other photo outlets also have digital printers; shop around. The quality of prints from these labs can be variable. A good initial test is if they are willing to print in non-automatic mode. If we have a profile for a lab, that's a good start.

Frederick:
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Colors inside the balloon are described using (R,G,B) coordinates. The most saturated (i.e. purest) red in any color space has an R-value of 255. Since larger color spaces have larger balloons, they contain both more air volume (i.e. more colors), and the surface of the balloon is farther from the center of the box (i.e. the colors are more saturated). Therefore, larger color spaces such as Adobe RGB contain both more colors and more highly saturated colors than smaller spaces like sRGB. A comparison of the Adobe RGB and sRGB gamuts is below. As you can see, working with Adobe RGB allows you to see and print more of most colors. Adobe RGB was designed to contain the entire color gamut available from most CMYK printers. sRGB is an HP/Microsoft defined color space that describes the colors visible on a low end monitor.

In general, you want to use color spaces that are as large as is practical. For example, if your printer is capable of producing output in a color space larger than sRGB, there is no reason to hobble your work by limiting output to the small sRGB gamut. If you do, you'll lose the saturated cyans and greens that can make your prints stand out.https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_spaces.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Colors inside the balloon are described using (R,G,B) coordinates. The most saturated (i.e. purest) red in any color space has an R-value of 255. Since larger color spaces have larger balloons, they contain both more air volume (i.e. more colors), and the surface of the balloon is farther from the center of the box (i.e. the colors are more saturated). Therefore, larger color spaces such as Adobe RGB contain both more colors and more highly saturated colors than smaller spaces like sRGB. A comparison of the Adobe RGB and sRGB gamuts is below. As you can see, working with Adobe RGB allows you to see and print more of most colors. Adobe RGB was designed to contain the entire color gamut available from most CMYK printers. sRGB is an HP/Microsoft defined color space that describes the colors visible on a low end monitor.

In general, you want to use color spaces that are as large as is practical. For example, if your printer is capable of producing output in a color space larger than sRGB, there is no reason to hobble your work by limiting output to the small sRGB gamut. If you do, you'll lose the saturated cyans and greens that can make your prints stand out.https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_spaces.htm
View Quote
This is true, but if the print shop cannot handle the AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB then it will do no good to send them files in that color space.  Thus the extensive discussion on the specific profiles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did some more digging and nobody that I have seen has found who Costco is using to do the canvas prints.

I looked at other vendors and most seem to want sRGB.  I noticed that Bay Photo has a profile for soft proofing, but they want sRGB for some prints and AdobeRGB for others.

Here is Bay Photo's page.
https://support.bayphoto.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2144592-bay-photo-lab-s-icc-profile

They cost quite a bit more than Costco.  Not sure if you could print canvas smaller just to see what works (even rejecting those that look too bad) and then once you have that worked out you could go big.  They are quite a bit cheaper than other sources.

I am thinking for this you can't go wrong with sRGB.  That is what they are going to be expecting from 99% of customers.  If you wanted to use something different you would need to trial and error.
View Quote
I may just go to a local Costco and ask their photo department.

I did a fairly good sized Canvas last year for a friend of mine using a photo I took from my camera phone, and it turned off fine IMO. (She loved it)
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
both my monitor and printer support AdobeRGB so I set the camera to it. 

I've been using the A-RGB for a while now and my prints look pretty darn good. I have a older HP Photosmart D7260.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top