Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
Costco Photo has a 95mb limit for photos. I am looking to possibly print off a 40x60 canvas for my wall.

However, the file is a bit bigger than allowed. Is there a method to get around it?  I am looking to upload a TIFF file rather than JPEG to preserve quality.  Or am I up shits creek?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
How much is "a bit bigger than allowed"?

Can you get past the limit by doing a bit of cropping, or do you need everything at the edges of the photo to be in the print?

What type of compression is the TIFF file using (if any)? If you're not using compression, then IIRC there are options for lossless compression in the TIFF format, depending on the specifics of what is in the picture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A full size 100% jpg won't be a problem so long as it is a fresh export from the raw. Jpg quality loss really comes into play as they get saved and resaved.
View Quote
This.  And (don't quote me here) Canvas can go down to around 150-200 dpi/ppi for prints before losing image quality.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A full size 100% jpg won't be a problem so long as it is a fresh export from the raw. Jpg quality loss really comes into play as they get saved and resaved.
View Quote
If needed to save a little more space you can even drop down around 77-84% quality on jpegs (fresh export and all) with no visible quality loss.

You can see a very nice write-up on this here
http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Also it can be impacted by the amount of gradients existing in the image.  The posterization will be visible in those first at lower quality settings.

I use 84% as my standard jpeg export quality out of Lightroom, even for large prints.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
You answered the Q then.

TIFF file from raw is around 170mb,  JPEG is 20ish from the same raw file.

Provided there is no quality loss, then my problem is solved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.  And (don't quote me here) Canvas can go down to around 150-200 dpi/ppi for prints before losing image quality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.costcophotocenter.com/Help/#/topic/product-information---canvas-prints

That's their recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want high quality pics then look at mpix.com. High quality and cheap. They do canvas and metal as well as metallic paper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top