Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 6:05:54 PM EDT
Question for the hive - I spent a long time thinking that "smarter" meters generated superior pictures. Over the last few months I have found myself turning off matrix metering and using more spot metering and center-weighted metering. It isn't like I am shooting a camera with a mediocre light meter - this is a D500. I have just realized I spend a lot more time not caring what the "whole image" looks like, but really prioritizing getting a good exposure on the part of the scene I am most interested in - think a single kid playing indoor basketball, or specific part of a complex scene with bright sky, shadows, and reflected light.

What do you all find yourself using most? Matrix? Spot? Bracketing?

-shooter
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tend to use spot for most things other than landscapes.

For landscapes I will vary depending on the dynamic range in the scene.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
For indoor sports, I am in manual mode. No thinking by the camera allowed since the light will be bad enough that the exposure I have dialed in may not be "correct" by any stretch.

Outdoor sports or outdoor portraits, I am usually in center-weighted mode.

For landscapes, it depends on the scene. Unless the scene has a huge dynamic range, the meter will probably be set to matrix or center-weighted. I may switch to spot metering just to measure the dynamic range, then either go manual or matrix with some EC.

These days I usually only bracket if I am expecting to use some HDR software.

Regardless of the settings, I will be reviewing the results on the camera's LCD so that the exposure is mostly right. Raw files always, but the detailed raw settings do vary.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For indoor sports, I am in manual mode. No thinking by the camera allowed since the light will be bad enough that the exposure I have dialed in may not be "correct" by any stretch.

Outdoor sports or outdoor portraits, I am usually in center-weighted mode.

For landscapes, it depends on the scene. Unless the scene has a huge dynamic range, the meter will probably be set to matrix or center-weighted. I may switch to spot metering just to measure the dynamic range, then either go manual or matrix with some EC.

These days I usually only bracket if I am expecting to use some HDR software.

Regardless of the settings, I will be reviewing the results on the camera's LCD so that the exposure is mostly right. Raw files always, but the detailed raw settings do vary.
View Quote
Not to change gears, but what is your flavor of choice?

I used SNS HDR Lite w/ a Lightroom Plugin to create that.

If you're into the more realistic type of look, I would strongly recommend that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
By default, my DSLRs are in center-metered with aperture-priority and a manually set ISO.

In the example of your HDR shot, I would probably do a bracketed sequence. If I did not like any of the single frames, I would feed the series to HDR software.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the full-screen matrix for 99% of my shots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top