Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 3:26:14 PM EDT
Was wondering what airsoft is all about.  I see the airsoft guns on the internet and in magazines.  I notice that they fire plastic bb's and they fire about 150-250 ft per sec.  Which is'nt very strong.  So do people shoot each other with these things like paintballing?  Do they hurt at all and are they any acurate.  Thanks for any info.  Was just curious about them.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Airsoft is a gateway drug.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I sold these at a store for about 2 years.  Seen many.  Bottom line: you get what you pay for.  They dont hurt bad but they will leave a welt.  If you pay around $30 for a pistol it should be a well built gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If your gonna waste your money or your time on anything (other than real firearms), dont let it be airsoft. Get a RAP4 Paintgun or one of the T68 series paintguns from Real Action Paintball.

www.realactionpaintball.com

I have a T68 and its a nice paintgun.

Nathan

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If your gonna waste your money or your time on anything (other than real firearms), dont let it be airsoft. Get a RAP4 Paintgun or one of the T68 series paintguns from Real Action Paintball.

Nathan

Why not airsoft? Not all airsoft players are mall ninjas you know.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks For the info.  As you can see I live in New York on long island.  I have a small back yard and was thinking about getting a paintball helmet and and having a little shootout between my friends and I was thinking about paintball guns but if I am gonna pay over 80$ for a paintball gun i'd rather buy a real gun.  So I saw the airsoft and gave it some thought.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nathan

Why not airsoft? Not all airsoft players are mall ninjas you know.

Why not paintball? Infact the majority of paintball players are not mall ninjas either. Pass the Kool-Aid, please. Both sports have their own Pros and cons, but I prefer the pain... makes me haul my ass faster and dive for cover.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks For the info.  As you can see I live in New York on long island.  I have a small back yard and was thinking about getting a paintball helmet and and having a little shootout between my friends and I was thinking about paintball guns but if I am gonna pay over 80$ for a paintball gun i'd rather buy a real gun.  So I saw the airsoft and gave it some thought.

Thanks

Then you don't want a RAP Paintgun... they are over 100 bucks. Thing about airsoft is that because it is newer than Paintball, there are less places to play Airsoft. Go with whatever floats your boat and have fun.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
cheap airsoft guns shoot about 150-200fps, real airsoft guns shoot 300-400.
mine shoot at 450. but it cost as much as a real rifle so i don't think you'd want that
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cheap airsoft guns shoot about 150-200fps, real airsoft guns shoot 300-400.
mine shoot at 450. but it cost as much as a real rifle so i don't think you'd want that

I wanted to when I saw a real SIR system and Aimpoint ML2 on an airsoft gun.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want inexpensive don't play either.  With Airsoft, the price of a good gun is up there, but that's the major expense.  With paintball, the cheapest decent gun will cost you over a hundred easy.  A Tippmann 98 Custom can be had for about $140, and a lower end Spyder is only a little less.  Those are considered entry level.  The Brass Eagle, and other stuff for less at Wall Mart is considered by most to be junk.  the high ende truly "tournament" grade guns like some of the Auto Cocker clones, Angels, E-Mags, Bob Long's, DM5s,  are well over a grand. Then there is the cost of paint.  When I was still able to play (money issues now) I would go through about a half case or so a week.  That's aobut $35 a week for paint.  Some people go through a case a day.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you want inexpensive don't play either.  With Airsoft, the price of a good gun is up there, but that's the major expense.  With paintball, the cheapest decent gun will cost you over a hundred easy.  A Tippmann 98 Custom can be had for about $140, and a lower end Spyder is only a little less.  Those are considered entry level.  The Brass Eagle, and other stuff for less at Wall Mart is considered by most to be junk.  the high ende truly "tournament" grade guns like some of the Auto Cocker clones, Angels, E-Mags, Bob Long's, DM5s,  are well over a grand. Then there is the cost of paint.  When I was still able to play (money issues now) I would go through about a half case or so a week.  That's aobut $35 a week for paint.  Some people go through a case a day.  

I spent close to $1000 for my Paintball gun and gear (Even got one of those SPOT sights for it). Wish I bought a Sig Pro 2009 Pistol and a Remington 870 scattergun instead.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]
being a avid airsofter, i might be able to give a little insight.

Airsoft,  to me is about goin out and playing "guns".  we all played it as children, i still play it. its a way for me to get out and run around too, somthing i seem to have less and less time to do.

i hate to compair airsoft and paintball, as i think its a totally different animal. but in both we run around and shoot eachother.

Airsoft is all about "Milsim" we strive for realism(well as much as you can get with a toy gun that shoots 6mm bbs)  

FPS rules where i play are 400 FPS for AEGs(automatic electric guns) 600FPS for sniper rifles(gas, electric or spring) most GBB(Gas Blow Back, IE the slide/bolt cycles with each shot) pistols are around 250-300 fps.  Most properly upgraded AEGs can reach out to about 200-250 ft accurately.
sniper rifles i have seen around 350-400ft.

As for pain when hit, its depends on where your hit. if your hit in your gear, your wont really feel it, but hear it.  hits are all honor-based. you know your hit, you call it and take the "death".  easy to cheat, but oddly enough most players dont, and if they do, track your rounds into their face.(its a courtesy that no headshots are taken unless you can hit a helmet or other headgear, if they wear a facemask, they are asking for a head shot.)

i have been playing airsoft for almost 7 years now.  At the present time i have more in airsoft than i do in real guns(dollar figures).

i currently own(airsoft):
Socom16
10.5 AR
m249(my money pit, currently at $1500 and about 60 bux a game to use)
fullsize USP
sig 226

I have owned:
ak47
m16a1
glock 18
USP compact
g36k
remmington 1100 AOW
m9
wilson CQB(fullsize)
p90
mp5
TMP
A couple M203s

all of my "guns" are metal where is needs to be(IE everything thats metal on the real thing is metal on their airsoft counterparts.

I own 17 different camo BDUs with roughly 14 different types of rigs, ranging from BHI ISSAK, to a paraclete RAV,  my next purchase will be a wasatch in MC(and possibly a CIRAS)

i play every month(for the most part).

Most ppl would say im nuts, or stupid for spending that much on "toys" over real firearms.
all i have to say to them is, in the last 5 years i have purchased 19 real firearms, and im back down to 4, one of which is in a different state.  (got layed off, hard times hit me, boohoo.) i only regret selling my benelli M1, which i just replaced with an m3.

i can go play airsoft for 60-100 a day, whereas when i go shooting it runs me 200-400 a day(i have been known to pass 1000 rounds in a day when i go shooting.) so cost is an issue.

(sorry about the last part, but i know im gonna catch hell for having all this invested in airsoft.)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
WHY pay more for a piantball marker than a firearm?  Because I can legally shoot others with my marker for fun :)  As with most things, you get what you pay for.

I don't care for the "sim" in airsoft.  Might as well join the military/police and get paid for it!

I have 7 paint markers; most expensive was $1350 for the marker alone.  Add in accessories like feeders and air and its about $2200.  Schweet :)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
WHY pay more for a piantball marker than a firearm?  Because I can legally shoot others with my marker for fun :)  As with most things, you get what you pay for.

I don't care for the "sim" in airsoft.  Might as well join the military/police and get paid for it!

I have 7 paint markers; most expensive was $1350 for the marker alone.  Add in accessories like feeders and air and its about $2200.  Schweet :)

hehe, i got out of paintball when speedball become the "shit"   just doesnt do it for me i guess.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spent close to $1000 for my Paintball gun and gear (Even got one of those SPOT sights for it). Wish I bought a Sig Pro 2009 Pistol and a Remington 870 scattergun instead.

Nathan

let me guess you played speedball?

I spent about 150 on my paintball setup
used tippman 98 custom with the responce trigger,
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Paintball I think is a lot better than airsoft. I've played paintball for 41/2 years know and all never stop
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
oh the things i could have bought if i never saw airsoft and paintball. the thing about paintball is the paint was damn expensive at every field local to me. the thing with airsoft is people that refuse to own a gun are trying to tell me about "real steel" and  how it works. well that and the invincible people.
" you totally missed me"
" your fucking bleeding all over your face!!"
"er you missed me"
it was like the fucking black knight in monty python.
i still dont get he " i wear glasses cause i am high speed" people
omfg you shot me in the tooth my tooth its gone.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
holy smokes look at those prices. they're as high or higher than the real thing. i'm sure they're built well though. right? i dont mean to offend any paintballers. I am planning on getting into the sport, probably with a tippmann though cause i like the model 98.

Real Action

i have to say it again. holy smokes!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
holy smokes look at those prices. they're as high or higher than the real thing. i'm sure they're built well though. right? i dont mean to offend any paintballers. I am planning on getting into the sport, probably with a tippmann though cause i like the model 98.

Real Action

And you can get the T68 "Commando" for $150 bucks not including gear. I had mine upgraded for the remote line and buttstock. I went with a Compressed air tank and spent alittle more but now I don't have to deal with buying CO2 and I can fill up air for free where I play. Even with the Spacer i couldn't get my face close enough to view through the SPOT (all due to the mask) so I stuck it on a real firearm.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Real Action

another thing about the RAPS is they dont use standard paint.

as cool as they look ill stick with my tippman
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Real Action

The RAP4s and RAP5s dont use the Standard Paint (they are some .40 cal), but the T68's made by RAP do use regular paint, I have one and the place I play only allows the use of their own Paint.

Nathan

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Real Action

The RAP4s and RAP5s dont use the Standard Paint (they are some .40 cal), but the T68's made by RAP do use regular paint, I have one and the place I play only allows the use of their own Paint.

Nathan

ah been a while since i seen the raps and a quick check on there website I must have missed the t68s thanks for the clarifiction. i guess to me thats a litte to much $ just to shoot paint at my friends.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I like playing both speed/airball and woodsball, I appreciate the differences between the two. What is not conditional though is the sportsmanship of the players.  I don't want to play with asshats in either style of play.

I dislike the wide concept that you must use a Tippmann or low end for woodsball!  What's wrong with a dust black $2K monster in the woods?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top