Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 8:58:56 AM EDT
I'm looking at building a computer for myself and some family members who also have crappy computers left over from the previous millenium.

I think I can build one myself, I have installed dvd-burners and RAM and videocards and stuff, I think I can probably handle it. I want to build 3 computers and I figure $1000 per computer (without monitors) should be enough for a nice computer, (am I right in assuming this?). Does anybody know of a good guide that walks you through what to buy and where? You know, something that says "Buy this from newegg, buy this from amazon, etc".... I saw one online a while ago and can't find it, plus I would like to find something that is up to date that lists top of the line stuff, optimally.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You can build yourself a kick ass system for a grand and that would include a 19" flat screen !!

Shop for your parts at newegg, I consider them to have the best deals.

I build all kinds of high level, top quality systems.

Let me know if you have questions and I can help you pick out what would go together for the best system.

John
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Thank you, both of you guys. John, I may have to take you up on your offer.

I was cruising Best Buy today and was talking to the kid that worked there, he was pretty straight forward. He said "I want you to know I'm not commission based, and it sounds like you and I are on the same level, computer-wise. And I could not build my own, I would run into problems."

Is he right? Is it really pretty difficult?

Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was cruising Best Buy today and was talking to the kid that worked there, he was pretty straight forward. He said "I want you to know I'm not commission based, and it sounds like you and I are on the same level, computer-wise. And I could not build my own, I would run into problems."

Its not hard at all.

if you know a little a about computers and electronics (verylittle) and can disassymble /reassyble a gun you can put together a computer. Its not hard at all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Its not difficult at all..

I sent you an IM..

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
If you run into a problem their IS a manual you  can read, or post in the urban forum and we will get u straigtened out.  We would be glad to help in any way
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It isn't hard at all.

The hardest part for a beginner might be adjusting the various BIOS settings.Even then the MB manual goes into somewhat good detail on what the various settings do.You WILL run into a few problems on your first build,but you learn from your mistakes.It is always good to have another computer with internet acess so if you DO run into problems,help is only a couple clicks away.

Pretty soon you will be wondering why you ever bought a pre-assembled computer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It's real easy to do.

Just take care when you install the motherboard. Make sure you don't short the bottom of the motherboard onto the metal motherboard tray or case. Make sure the MB spacers/posts are in the correct position when installing the MB.

Also, make sure you install the CPU in the correct orientation (it should only go in one way, but people still screw this up).

Most importantly make sure the heat sink & fan (fan plugged into MB fan power jack) are installed onto the cpu correctly (making good flat contact with proper spring tension against cpu). You can fry a CPU in just a few seconds, with an incorrectly installed heat sink & fan. Just follow the CPU installation instructions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top