Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
I'm not watching any trailers or anything. Super pumped for this.
View Quote

Me, too.

I just ignore them when they come on lol.

I've even been avoiding Max Dood breakdowns so I don't get spoiled.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Me, too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm not watching any trailers or anything. Super pumped for this.

Me, too.

It's not too bad yet, but I understand

I'm probably done after this one that just came out, because it shows some stuff.

Definitely avoiding the release trailer.

81 days to go!

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#3]
For anyone who didn't play/finish FF7 Remake, "The Story So Far," narrated by Red XIII:

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH - The Story So Far
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess RPGs are dead and action games are the new thing. As someone who grew up when the FF series first started, I'm disappointed that SE abandoned the format of the original FF7.

Don't get me wrong, FF7R and this game look wonderful, but it's just not the same for me.

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 6:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shagohod] [#5]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:
I guess RPGs are dead and action games are the new thing. As someone who grew up when the FF series first started, I'm disappointed that SE abandoned the format of the original FF7.

Don't get me wrong, FF7R and this game look wonderful, but it's just not the same for me.

https://preview.redd.it/6myaoxfa2au01.jpg?width=600&auto=webp&s=6a0cfc27ea2a61b84183ad5b6e151f75e026efb5
View Quote

I felt the same way when I saw Remake.  "It should be fucking turn based combat!"  "It should be the exact same game with only improved graphics!"

Damn was I proven wrong.

DQ11 was probably the last "classic" style RPG I played.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]

https://preview.redd.it/6myaoxfa2au01.jpg?width=600&auto=webp&s=6a0cfc27ea2a61b84183ad5b6e151f75e026efb5
View Quote

There's plenty of amazing turn-based games out that are extremely popular.

Baldur's Gate 3 won multiple awards including Game of the Year.

RPGs are bigger than ever, especially JRPGs. I think you're confused.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I missed this... but I'm fired up about it.

My current company works the shop 4x10's... so 3 days weekends are doable for me. (Technically I'm 4/10 also, but I typically pull some time over the weekend)

But that'll be 3 days that, sans the gym, will be heavy gaming.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#8]
so if this is Final Fantasy 7... does that mean the first 6 weren't really "Final" ?

I'd want my money back.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#9]
So is this Rebirth going to be like disk two of the original?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]

There's plenty of amazing turn-based games out that are extremely popular.

Baldur's Gate 3 won multiple awards including Game of the Year.

RPGs are bigger than ever, especially JRPGs. I think you're confused.
View Quote

Going off my previous post, you may have misunderstood me. You may have missed the post after mine as well. They knew what I was talking about. The original FF7 was turn based. FF7R and this new game are not.  SE has deviated from that format in the FF series. FF has gone action.

To me, an action game is not an RPG. No matter what tag you slap on it. I dismissed BG3, as previous BG games were not turn based.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
so if this is Final Fantasy 7... does that mean the first 6 weren't really "Final" ?

I'd want my money back.
View Quote

LOL. The name "Final Fantasy" stems from when it was just Square. They were about to go bankrupt and Final Fantasy was their last ditch effort in trying to save the company.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:
View Quote

First installment of the remake was Midgar. The next installment takes place as Cloud and the team leave Midgar.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Going off my previous post, you may have misunderstood me. You may have missed the post after mine as well. They knew what I was talking about. The original FF7 was turn based. FF7R and this new game are not.  SE has deviated from that format in the FF series. FF has gone action.

To me, an action game is not an RPG. No matter what tag you slap on it. I dismissed BG3, as previous BG games were not turn based.
View Quote

I still consider 7R and 16 JRPG's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:31:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#14]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:
View Quote

Not really.

The first game, "Remake," was entirely contained in Midgar (it greatly expanded the story to make the game last 30-60 hours)

Rebirth runs from post-Midgar (beginning in Kalm) to the Forgotten Capital (aka Forgotten City; aka City of the Ancients), but they've said it won't necessarily follow the same order as the original.

Also, the story has changed a little bit. I don't really want to post spoilers, but suffice it to say that "the shackles of Destiny are broken."

If you watch this:

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH - The Story So Far

You'll get most of it, except for the info about Zack. For that you'll have to watch the end cutscene from Remake, and the post-credit scene from Intermission (Remake's DLC/expansion).
FWIW, Remake is 98% the same story as the original, but expanded.

ETA: "Remake" in the game's title does not refer to the game as a remake of the original.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#15]

LOL. The name "Final Fantasy" stems from when it was just Square. They were about to go bankrupt and Final Fantasy was their last ditch effort in trying to save the company.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:

I'd want my money back.

Final Fantasy Creators Reveal The True Origins of the Franchise’s Name

"According to Sakaguchi, the name “Final Fantasy” was actually inspired by two different sources: Dragon Quest and the Fighting Fantasy line of novels. As he recalls, the Dragon Quest series was starting to establish itself when the game’s publishers, Enix, supposedly discussed shortening the series’ name to “Drakue.” Sakaguchi’s team was inspired by that decision and wanted to give their own game a name that could be easily shortened using the Roman alphabet.

This decision resulted in Square coming up with the abbreviation “FF,” but they didn’t actually know what those letters would stand for. The company went through several ideas, one of which was apparently Fighting Fantasy. However, because of conflicting trademarks, they ultimately decided to settle on the name Final Fantasy as a “last resort.”"
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Absolutely.

Also, if you play FF7R, the turn-based roots are evident in the battle system. It's fucking awesome, and the refined system in Rebirth looks to be even better with things like "synergy attacks" (basically every character has a unique combo attack with every other character in the game, with a unique effect).
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:16:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#17]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

"According to Sakaguchi, the name “Final Fantasy” was actually inspired by two different sources: Dragon Quest and the Fighting Fantasy line of novels. As he recalls, the Dragon Quest series was starting to establish itself when the game’s publishers, Enix, supposedly discussed shortening the series’ name to “Drakue.” Sakaguchi’s team was inspired by that decision and wanted to give their own game a name that could be easily shortened using the Roman alphabet.

This decision resulted in Square coming up with the abbreviation “FF,” but they didn’t actually know what those letters would stand for. The company went through several ideas, one of which was apparently Fighting Fantasy. However, because of conflicting trademarks, they ultimately decided to settle on the name Final Fantasy as a “last resort.”"
View Quote

https://www.wired.com/2009/07/final-fantasy/

"So I asked Uematsu.

Is it true, I asked, that the game is called Final Fantasy because Sakaguchi was going to go back to college and quit the game biz? Uematsu laughed: It's true that Sakaguchi was going to quit, he said, but the bigger reason, the real reason, was that Square was going to go bankrupt and the designers believed that it would be the company's swan song.

So there we have it, from someone who was there when it all happened: the Square-was-going-bankrupt theory of the game's unique moniker is, at least, supported by Uematsu, which takes it out of the "baseless rumor" category."
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#18]

"So I asked Uematsu.

Is it true, I asked, that the game is called Final Fantasy because Sakaguchi was going to go back to college and quit the game biz? Uematsu laughed: It's true that Sakaguchi was going to quit, he said, but the bigger reason, the real reason, was that Square was going to go bankrupt and the designers believed that it would be the company's swan song.

So there we have it, from someone who was there when it all happened: the Square-was-going-bankrupt theory of the game's unique moniker is, at least, supported by Uematsu, which takes it out of the "baseless rumor" category."
View All Quotes

"So I asked Uematsu.

You can take the word of the guy in charge of the music (from a Wired article...) or the guy who created the whole thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#19]
Gold Saucer:

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#20]

You can take the word of the guy in charge of the music (from a Wired article...) or the guy who created the whole thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Quote

Depending on what you want to believe.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110809114048/http://www.develop-online.net/news/28960/Sakaguchi-discusses-the-development-of-Final-Fantasy

" In an interview in the latest issue of Famitsu celebrating twenty years of Final Fantasy, translated by Develop, series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi has spoken candidly about the development conditions that surrounded the birth of the series’ first outing.

“The name ‘Final Fantasy’ was a display of my feeling that if this didn’t sell, I was going to quit the games industry and go back to university. I’d have had to repeat a year, so I wouldn’t have had any friends – it really was a ‘final’ situation.”

Which was also mentioned in the article I posted. Though, not as in much detail.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#21]

https://web.archive.org/web/20110809114048/http://www.develop-online.net/news/28960/Sakaguchi-discusses-the-development-of-Final-Fantasy

" In an interview in the latest issue of Famitsu celebrating twenty years of Final Fantasy, translated by Develop, series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi has spoken candidly about the development conditions that surrounded the birth of the series’ first outing.

“The name ‘Final Fantasy’ was a display of my feeling that if this didn’t sell, I was going to quit the games industry and go back to university. I’d have had to repeat a year, so I wouldn’t have had any friends – it really was a ‘final’ situation.”

Which was also mentioned in the article I posted. Though, not as in much detail.
View All Quotes

Debunking the Final Fantasy Naming Myth

"However, the original title was going to be Fighting Fantasy. At that same time, there was board game by the same name. (Here, I’m assuming Famitsu is referring to the single-player Fighting Fantasy roleplaying books, which spawned board games.) Because of this, the title was changed to Final Fantasy.

“Final” (ファイナル or “fainaru”) is a famous word in Japan, so for the game’s creators, it was probably a logical “F” word to pick.

So what does Sakaguchi say to the notion that this was conceived as the company’s final project? “Those days definitely seemed like end times, but honestly, any word that started with ‘F’ would’ve been fine.”"
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Good to see you still get to go on a date with Barrett if you play your cards right.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Shagohod:

Good to see you still get to go on a date with Barrett if you play your cards right.
View All Quotes

The only downside is that to 100% the game, you'll have to have at least four playthroughs - at least playthroughs of several complete chapters. FWIW, FF7 Remake required a minimum of three playthroughs of a couple different chapters to see all the various scenes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shagohod] [#25]

The only downside is that to 100% the game, you'll have to have at least four playthroughs - at least playthroughs of several complete chapters. FWIW, FF7 Remake required a minimum of three playthroughs of a couple different chapters to see all the various scenes.
View All Quotes

As long as the obnoxious Wall Market music isn't playing the majority of the time like the 9 dresses trophy, I won't mind.

Remake's platinum is the most enjoyable one I've ever done.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#26]

As long as the obnoxious Wall Market music isn't playing the majority of the time like the 9 dresses trophy, I won't mind.

View All Quotes

I still need to do that one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Not really that hard, other than Rufus and Sephiroth on hard.

It's all killer, no filler though.  The 9 dresses trophy is the only aggravating one, but is has some hilarious scenes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:29:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#28]
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete is free on youtube. No idea if this will get taken down, but the channel has several other full movies.

*Note that the credit and post-credit scenes are missing. The credit scene is just Cloud riding his motorcycle on a highway in Hawaii, but the post-credit scene is more relevant. Both can be found on other youtube channels.

Anyone who might wonder about spoilers: yes and no. Certainly some upcoming plot points from Rebirth might be spoiled, but it appears likely that the story of the Remake Trilogy takes place after this movie and a version of some of the characters introduced in this film appear in FF7 Remake (in a Back to the Future kind of way). Also, there are some shots from this movie used in FF7 Remake as "visions of the future."
FWIW, Square released FF7 Crisis Core Reunion last year, which spoils arguably the biggest reveal in OG FF7, but the devs said go ahead and play it before Rebirth...
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#29]

It's all killer, no filler though.  The 9 dresses trophy is the only aggravating one, but is has some hilarious scenes.
View Quote

Sephiroth is the only fight on hard I haven't beaten.

The bike chase with Jessie is the other achievement besides the dresses I haven't got, yet. I just can't finish it at over 85% health, even on easy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#30]

The bike chase with Jessie is the other achievement besides the dresses I haven't got, yet. I just can't finish it at over 85% health, even on easy.
View All Quotes

Sephiroth isn't too bad, the attack that reduces your HP to 1 is the most challenging part.  He can wipe you quick if you're not ready.  If Aerith dies in the fight at any point, I started over.  Rufus on hard was the hardest fight in the game for me personally.

Biker Boy is tricky, even on easy.  It took me about an hour.  I didn't mind it as Jessie was my favorite character in Remake.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Sephiroth isn't too bad, the attack that reduces your HP to 1 is the most challenging part.  He can wipe you quick if you're not ready.  If Aerith dies in the fight at any point, I started over.  Rufus on hard was the hardest fight in the game for me personally.

Biker Boy is tricky, even on easy.  It took me about an hour.  I didn't mind it as Jessie was my favorite character in Remake.
View Quote

Jessie is fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I should finish remake, pretty sure I'm right near the end but got bored.  Maybe I'll pick it up again this winter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#37]
So it's not the exact same story as FF7 with updated graphics leaving story and gameplay/fights the same

Fuck that noise

If it were the same I'd buy a PS right now
FF7 is and will always be my favorite game but the bastardizations they keep coming out with are ruining the original game
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#38]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
So it's not the exact same story as FF7 with updated graphics leaving story and gameplay/fights the same

Fuck that noise

FF7 is and will always be my favorite game but the bastardizations they keep coming out with are ruining the original game
View Quote

This is kind of a spoiler regarding the nature of the Remake Trilogy, so I'll put it in a spoiler tag for anyone who cares, but you should read it.

Click To View Spoiler

The original FF7 is my favorite game of all time, and I loved Remake (and the Intermission DLC) and can't wait for Rebirth. If you're a big fan, you're missing out by not giving it a shot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#39]

This is kind of a spoiler regarding the nature of the Remake Trilogy, so I'll put it in a spoiler tag for anyone who cares, but you should read it.

Click To View Spoiler

The original FF7 is my favorite game of all time, and I loved Remake (and the Intermission DLC) and can't wait for Rebirth. If you're a big fan, you're missing out by not giving it a shot.
View Quote

Yep.

FF7 Remake isn't a remake of the original.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Fuck that noise

View Quote

I felt the exact same way when Remake was announced.  You're doing yourself a serious disservice by not giving it a chance.  It's a phenomenal game.

Pretty sure it's free to play if you have PS Plus.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Fuck that noise

View Quote

Think about them as two different stories. It's not meant to be the exact game with better graphics. It's a new experience. And both are amazing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:05:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#43]
New trailer dropped. No spoilers (unless you analyze it frame by frame, and then you might discover some minor ones).

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH - Destined for Rebirth

The countdown to release is under 43 days!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Just played the demo. Omg.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Just played the demo. Omg.
View Quote

I played it yesterday.

IT WAS PERFECT.

Aerial combat was still janky, but I hear it's been fixed, so we'll see on that. Is it known when the update will be released and the second part of the demo is playable?

I pre-ordered FF7:Rebirth months ago because I'm a simp lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Got my pre-shipping notice from my pre-order on Amazon. Delivery scheduled for the 29th.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#47]
Okay.

Digital version is pre-downloaded. Countdown timer says playable around 2300 (11PM) CST tonight.

Motherboard, CPU, Windows, Capture Card, Graphics card, SSD, Peripherals and OBS are all updated.

Rumble, Twitch and Youtube streams are setup and scheduled for 2230 (10:30PM) CST tonight.

Hard copy is in the mail, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

HYPE IS AT MAX LEVELS.

Also, my first silencer approval was returned this morning. I'll be taking possession of my Q El Camino and shooting my little .22LR conversion Beretta M9 with it this afternoon.

Today is gonna be a good day.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ausher1880] [#48]
I put a lot of hours in the og ffvii on the PS1. Chokobo racing and trying to get the golden chokobo.  Hope rebirth has that too.  Is it open world?  Do I need to play remastered first?  I played a little bit of remastered, but not beat it yet.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ausher1880:
I put a lot of hours in the og ffvii on the PS1. Chokobo racing and trying to get the golden chokobo.  Hope rebirth has that too.  Is it open world?  Do I need to play remastered first?  I played a little bit of remastered, but not beat it yet.
View Quote

I'd finish Remake.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ausher1880:
View Quote

It has very large open world sections.

I spent over 7 hours in just the grassy area between Kalm and the Mythril Cave (not spoilers as they are in the original game) today. I'm at over 14 hours in and barely starting it lol.

If you've played the OG game all the way through, play FF7: Remake. It's a sequel to the OG game and it is VERY good, covering the Midgar section from the original. It isn't needed to understand the story in Rebirth, so far, but it will add a lot of context to what happened before and what's different.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top