Site Notices
Diablo IV (Page 3 of 30)
Page / 30
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IL2windhawk] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Xerith:

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/chain-lightning-sorcerer-leveling-guide

Once you hit world tier 3, you will want to switch to ice shards. Lighting can’t clear things as fast as ice shards
View Quote

That's pretty much my exact build already, except I used Spark as my basic skill.  I'll check out Arc Lash since they recommend it so much.

A sorcerer build with lightning + frost skills is badass for sure.  I was running all frost skills for a while, but I found that Chain Lightning alternated with Frozen Orbs makes for a great use of mana.  Ice Armor and Frost Nova are my defensive tools, then I trigger Unstable Currents for the "oh shit" moments.  For the enchantment skills, I have Flame Shield, which has already saved my life once (critical to have this one in hardcore mode), and Chain Lightning again because it basically gives me twice as much Chain Lightning in all my fights (it triggers every time I used 100 mana).  My build is great for typical hordes of baddies and 99% of the stuff I go up against, but I'm hardly invincible in boss fights.  I really have to watch my life and dance around a bit to avoid the boss attacks.  I'm not sure how you could ever setup sorcerer to be a great boss fighter.  It's an awesome support character when I'm rolling with the crew and I so far have managed to survive the boss fights, but a few have been very close to killing me!
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyVJzVHTlA

this is the minion build i found. just hit 17 and have to spend next 2 points still.
have 5 skelly warriors and 3 mages so far with mastery in both
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By IL2windhawk:

That's pretty much my exact build already, except I used Spark as my basic skill.  I'll check out Arc Lash since they recommend it so much.

A sorcerer build with lightning + frost skills is badass for sure.  I was running all frost skills for a while, but I found that Chain Lightning alternated with Frozen Orbs makes for a great use of mana.  Ice Armor and Frost Nova are my defensive tools, then I trigger Unstable Currents for the "oh shit" moments.  For the enchantment skills, I have Flame Shield, which has already saved my life once (critical to have this one in hardcore mode), and Chain Lightning again because it basically gives me twice as much Chain Lightning in all my fights (it triggers every time I used 100 mana).  My build is great for typical hordes of baddies and 99% of the stuff I go up against, but I'm hardly invincible in boss fights.  I really have to watch my life and dance around a bit to avoid the boss attacks.  I'm not sure how you could ever setup sorcerer to be a great boss fighter.  It's an awesome support character when I'm rolling with the crew and I so far have managed to survive the boss fights, but a few have been very close to killing me!
View Quote

Mana regen and skill cooldown are your most important things to have. You have to be able to spam your skills. Once you can, game becomes super easy and everything dies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:58:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#4]
Went with a Druid as my first character. Level 30 now, but most of my gear is in the low 20's.

Seems a bit harder to keep gear updated versus D3. Any tips for getting geared while preventing levels from rising?

I did max out my Murmuring Obols (apparently max is 500 for me right now). Spent them all but was still getting gear in the low 20's from it
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Really enjoying the rogue so far, cold archer build. Works great solo, but whenever I coop with friends it's a bit limited as the build is more kiting and less stand next to a spinny barb and spam
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
oh, look!  A health well and a giant open area.

I guess we're going to battle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MauserMark:

Ha, first Diablo game?

Just started Act 3, probably 40ish hours in. Taking my time, doing most side-quests.

This may very well be the best Diablo made, but I'll hold judgement on that until I've put a lot of time into the End-game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
oh, look!  A health well and a giant open area.

I guess we're going to battle.

Ha, first Diablo game?

Just started Act 3, probably 40ish hours in. Taking my time, doing most side-quests.

This may very well be the best Diablo made, but I'll hold judgement on that until I've put a lot of time into the End-game.

Nah, but I just find it funny when I'm dungeon crawling.  I think most of them are well done and there's always a feeling of "what's lurking in the shadows over there"...until I see the health well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have my barbarian up to level 10.  Have been able to play sporadically and am still in Fractured Peaks.  I am liking the game so far and have played every other game in the Diablo franchise.  My only complaint is that the boss fight in every dungeon has a console game feel to it that is completely different from all the other Diablo titles.  I actually died in the barbarian dungeon today because I couldn't exit the game soon enough.  Anyone playing hardcore has my respect and admiration.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Also a question about the necromancer. I have never ran a character that wasn't a brute like the paladin or crusader.

What do you use for weapons since 99% of the time you are using spells.
View Quote

any 1 hander that increases your skill damage
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IL2windhawk] [#12]
Originally Posted By Xerith:

Mana regen and skill cooldown are your most important things to have. You have to be able to spam your skills. Once you can, game becomes super easy and everything dies.
View Quote

Try spark.  Ark lash sucks by comparison, imo.

I tried fire skills also, and was likewise unimpressed.
Lightning attack + Frost defense for the win
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Icy Veins has a couple lightning / frost builds. Just started playing with the chain lightning version today - it is really impressive on groups.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Took a break from crushing the campaign after unlocking the horse; grabbing all the Altars of Lilith now for some extra stats and skill points without progressing my levels too much.

Also changed up my Druid leveling build from a lightning build to a werewolf shred build. Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:50:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#16]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Took a break from crushing the campaign after unlocking the horse; grabbing all the Altars of Lilith now for some extra stats and skill points without progressing my levels too much.

Also changed up my Druid leveling build from a lightning build to a werewolf shred build. Fun stuff.
View Quote

Home built or following a guide?

I’m running a Pulverize werebear build I found on wowhead.  It’s really started shining after level 20.  It plays a bit like a barb where I can just wade into throngs of enemies.

I wish gear was itemized a little better.  I’ve got a rare axe that adds a bunch to my base stats but it’s so far behind in DPS for magic items I’m finding.

ETA:  Should I be socketing gems into early level gear or saving them up for end game?  I recall in D3 you needed gems to make better gems...i.e., you need 4 rubies to make a Superior Ruby and 4 of those to make an Enhanced Ruby...
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#17]

ETA:  Should I be socketing gems into early level gear or saving them up for end game?  I recall in D3 you needed gems to make better gems...i.e., you need 4 rubies to make a Superior Ruby and 4 of those to make an Enhanced Ruby...
View Quote

It still works like that.   I'm using gems a lot.  You can always unsocket them for about $5000.  Anything to give me an edge is worthwhile in hardcore mode.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MauserMark] [#18]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
A few things for new(er) players:

- Look at the dungeons on the map and do the ones that have an aspect for your class.
- Constantly upgrade rare or Legendary gear at the Armorer, get the materials needed by salvaging rare or even legendaries that don't apply to your class or build (there's always more to get for another class down the line).
- Upgrade your potions and increase the max potions by doing the renown in each region, absolute must have (6+ potions) when you get into Acts 3 and 4.
- Follow a build guide to get the most out of your class, they're usually 5-10 minutes tops youtube videos, I recommend Fextralife's guides.
- Complete side quests while you're out looking for something else, but don't bother going back into town to just get that reward, I have started stacking up side quest completions then returning to town for the main story line and redeeming them then, saves time.
View Quote

All of this is good advice.

I maxed out a bunch of characters during the Beta

Played for a couple hours last night and hit lvl 20 with my necro.

Not too worried about the build guides for now since you can always reset your class, but at some point I'll jump into it a bit more intentionally
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#21]
I was playing and when I was transitioning between levels on the map it went blank. After 1 a min a screen popped up and it said I was disconnected from the server. Now it says I am queued for login but won't log in.
View Quote

They caught you cheating!

Servers are down for maintenance is the word.  Lilith is tired and just needs a break from running all over the world.  I was just getting ready to start Act 3 but I think I may detour for my druid spirit boons since it seems to be on the way.

The first 3 pages of Reddit right now is "Is the server down for anyone else" posts.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
level 27 now. found a legendary focus and bp from obols gambling.
bp gives +2 skellies so 7 plus 3 mages and 1 golem
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Lets see how this works.

Looking at possibly getting the game. Bought a 4K monitor to see all the shines, then I notice "recommended 32 Gigs of ram". Everything for my motherboard has all been discontinued, which was a 2021 build, and has 16 gigs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Arc Lash is not very good right now with the nerf. Could probably still work for leveling.

Right now ice shard with proper gear is the max damage build for sor. Round up as many mobs as I can, frost nova them and ice shards clear everything including lv60 elites. To give you an idea of the power of a good ice shard build, I cleared the lv 70 cap dungeon at lv 57.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#27]

I'm running a Pulverize werebear build I found on wowhead.  It's really started shining after level 20.  It plays a bit like a barb where I can just wade into throngs of enemies.

I wish gear was itemized a little better.  I've got a rare axe that adds a bunch to my base stats but it's so far behind in DPS for magic items I'm finding.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:

I'm running a Pulverize werebear build I found on wowhead.  It's really started shining after level 20.  It plays a bit like a barb where I can just wade into throngs of enemies.

I wish gear was itemized a little better.  I've got a rare axe that adds a bunch to my base stats but it's so far behind in DPS for magic items I'm finding.

Using the shred leveling build on maxroll.

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/shred-druid-leveling-guide

No need to save the weak gems like in D3. Use them as much as possible. The better gems drop as you level, and you don't need to "train" the vendors like you did in D3.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I decided to pick it up, never played one before. I'm level 11 or 12 Sorcerer now, doing an ice shard build from maxroll. Pretty fun game, combat is pretty simple, but a lot of the sub systems like gems and whatever I still have to figure out. Cool story and quality cutscenes and voice acting.
Wife jumps in occasionally with me with a barbarian build.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I wasn't enjoying the barbarian build I started so switched over to Necromancer.  He got to level 10 in no time flat.  Not sure how good he will be end game but nowhere near as frustrating at the barb.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
I wasn't enjoying the barbarian build I started so switched over to Necromancer.  He got to level 10 in no time flat.  Not sure how good he will be end game but nowhere near as frustrating at the barb.
View Quote

I have the difficulty low so she doesn't get frustrated so it's been okay so far lol. She saw the thick barbarian character model and just had to play as Red Sonja.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#31]
After a few hours of cross referencing compatible ram for my PC to get 32 gig, I came across some rip jaws. Should be here late next week. Will most likely DL it today for play this weekend. Looking at returning to one of my favorite builds, Spin to Win.

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/whirlwind-barbarian-guide
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#32]
[size=4]A few things for new(er) players:

- Constantly upgrade rare or Legendary gear at the Armorer, get the materials needed by salvaging rare or even legendaries that don't apply to your class or build (there's always more to get for another class down the line).
- Upgrade your potions and increase the max potions by doing the renown in each region, absolute must have (6+ potions) when you get into Acts 3 and 4.
View Quote

So I wouldn't say this is accurate.  I would say upgrade your rare and legos to a certain point, like to upgrade 2 or 3, upgrading it any further is a waste of money and materials. Even then, until you get to 50+ content after the campaign, your money is going to be pretty tight and a 10-15k upgrade won't be worth it.  DO find your best aspect for defense.  I have one for Sorcerer that gives me a shield when I engage an elite.  This is so, so needed, damn near required.  It's expensive to keep it applied to your armor, but its well worth it for act bosses.

Upgrading potions is a no brainer, but I wouldn't said they are an absolute must have 6+ for Acts 3+.  I barely used any potions throughout my entire campaign up until the bosses of Act 6, and this was WT2.  Some of that is because of my above OP armor that gives me a shield, but I honestly didn't find much need for them until then. Capstone dungeons really hurt too

Now, WT3 bosses on the other hand lol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#33]
A few things for new(er) players:

- Complete side quests while you're out looking for something else, but don't bother going back into town to just get that reward, I have started stacking up side quest completions then returning to town for the main story line and redeeming them then, saves time.
View Quote

I wish I would've known this early on.  Just pick up the quest and do the main quest.  You'll often be running through an area killing mobs that complete the quest anyway.

@RoG
Join the ARFCOM clan.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
View Quote

Barb is very good  in this game unlike the others. It’s kinda OP. My friend has a death blow build that destroys everything, including bosses in 3 secs
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone stepped into PvP yet?

The world felt pretty empty until I cleared the druid strong hold (outside of portaling into a town).  Now there seems to be people running around constantly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#36]
Got my Barbarian to 14. Great game so far. Made it to the first major town, then did 2 dungeons for the imprints.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Ah 1 more awesome tip I found:

While viewing the map, you right click on a spot and it puts a nail, then go back to the game and you get a direct path on the minimap of where to go to get to that nail/marker.
View Quote

I do that instinctively, even when just navigating around town it's second nature now to just track everything
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:53:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#39]
I can't figure out the golem skill with my necromancer. I completed the quest and have access to golems in the book of the dead but I can't seem to figure out the skill. Any help?
View Quote

@TOTHEMAX

So this gets tricky in that it's not intuitive

So first and foremost you have to be level 25

Then go into character selection, abilities, on x-box you then press the left joystick "button" which I think is labeled as "assign"

That will bring up a screen that shows you all of the skills you get to assign to your skill bar, at that point you look for your new skill which is the raise golem and assign it to the bar.

Then you can summon a golem!

Lvl 32 Necro here
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#41]

THANK YOU!

I would have never figured that out on my own.

Somewhere I read there was a skill that did automatic corpse explosion or chain reaction. Is that true?
View Quote

I haven't used it outside of the beta;

Press start then right trigger to scroll over to "Book of the Dead"

Select Skeletal Mages, then go down and select "Bone"
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Damnit Lorath, if you can travel across 2/3 of the continent in record speed and I need to meet you...just take me with you.

That run after you kill Brol, The Tyrant is terrible.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Amazing how much stuff there is to do in this game. Level 27 now and have barely scratched the surface of the game. Still have a bunch of stuff to do in fractured peaks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:

@TOTHEMAX

So this gets tricky in that it's not intuitive

So first and foremost you have to be level 25

Then go into character selection, abilities, on x-box you then press the left joystick "button" which I think is labeled as "assign"

That will bring up a screen that shows you all of the skills you get to assign to your skill bar, at that point you look for your new skill which is the raise golem and assign it to the bar.

Then you can summon a golem!

Lvl 32 Necro here
View Quote

One of my favorite things about the game is the ability to move your skills wherever you want.  For example, I moved my primary basic skill to right trigger, even though default is button A.  It's such a great feature to configure your character controls however you want them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Assasin bow. I'll change/remap later but so far up to lvl it's basically stand and shoot and move to the next group/target. May try something else and keep this one for later it's prett snoozefest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I did move the clan to private because I wasn't sure who was requesting to join. Add/message Elpenor1865 if you want an invite.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#49]

I'm lvl 43 and looked at the map, I've probably done 25% of the game. Still in Act 3
View Quote

I want to say I'm still in act 1. I've not killed any major bosses. Only bosses I've killed are the dungeon imprint ones.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 30
Diablo IV (Page 3 of 30)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top