BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

The viper radar is pretty shit irl. Its grossly overperforming in DCS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pforty:
is it pretty typical to not get a track on the radar in the F16 until about 20 miles or so?  I've been trying run it in TWS mode and I get updates via the link 16.  I play with the azimuth and elevation bars and still can't track an aircraft far out.

The viper radar is pretty shit irl. Its grossly overperforming in DCS.

It was the opposite for me. I started in the F-18 and it seemed like I couldn't even see contacts until 30 ish miles, it would take a bit to lock them, then I'd lose lock easily. Switched to the F-16 and data link is showing contacts 80+ miles out and I could lock them around 40. That was about a year or more ago. When I jumped on recently the F-18 radar seemed to be locking easier, but it still dropped some.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Data link will show them from very far away, but I don't know that you can effectively send AIM120's based off a data link.

From further reading, the F16 that DCS has is supposed to reflect circa 2007 performance, which is after they upgraded to the APG-68 radar. But DCS has artifically penalized it for 'look down' situations.  So maybe if you are at co-altitude or lower than the target it will help get a lock.  Wikipedia says that -68 radar has a range of 180 miles.  Maybe it will get a track on very large returns that far away but I haven't seen anything like that in game.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Latest update shows some good improvements to the Apache FM.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:43:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#4]
Originally Posted By Pforty:
Data link will show them from very far away, but I don't know that you can effectively send AIM120's based off a data link.

From further reading, the F16 that DCS has is supposed to reflect circa 2007 performance, which is after they upgraded to the APG-68 radar. But DCS has artifically penalized it for 'look down' situations.  So maybe if you are at co-altitude or lower than the target it will help get a lock.  Wikipedia says that -68 radar has a range of 180 miles.  Maybe it will get a track on very large returns that far away but I haven't seen anything like that in game.
View Quote

The Viper we have should have the APG-68V5 radar. Though it really hardly matters, ED's idea of radar modeling is to model some symbology and whatever range they "think" it should show up at. Meanwhile IRL, things like look down in some cases and issues with sidelobe clutter at low alt are real problems for the viper.  The only worthwhile actual radar models in the game that are actually physics based are the F15E, M2k, and in 3rd place the F14. The F18/16 radars are basically FC3 radars with some enhanced symbology, literally nothing is modeled at all, or even right.

Literally the best thing for DCS would be if ED swallowed their pride and copy pasta'ed the Razbam APG-70 model onto the hornet, and reduced the range etc appropriately. But they are too arrogant to do that. So they will post some more shite-papers that anyone with .02c of radar background will laugh at while the rubes lap it up as "realistic".

As an aside, IRL you can shoot 120's at DL contacts, but thats more off F/F DL's as your error sphere from something like awacs is quite large. Ofc none of this is even remotely modeled in DCS  (imagine range/azimuth errors!). Also pro tip neither are any of the AA TGP modes and certainly not anything about IRST.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been slowly going through this whole thread trying to figure out what I need to get to get started. I’m kinda budget limited right now (in between careers and just moved). So I’m looking to piece together a system over the next few months that can do both this and X-Plane 12. Suggestions higher end laptop vs tower?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Teamer:
I’ve been slowly going through this whole thread trying to figure out what I need to get to get started. I’m kinda budget limited right now (in between careers and just moved). So I’m looking to piece together a system over the next few months that can do both this and X-Plane 12. Suggestions higher end laptop vs tower?
View Quote

You're pretty much always going to do better gaming on a tower.  Plus you can start with entry level parts and upgrade over time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

You're pretty much always going to do better gaming on a tower.  Plus you can start with entry level parts and upgrade over time.
View Quote
This home build its really not that hard with YouTube tutorials (even I can do it). The biggest benefits to a desktop vs laptop is the ability to build and upgrade parts yourself as you see fit and cooling. You can get much better airflow into (colder) and out of (hot) a well designed case. The benefit of a laptop is smaller space occupation and more portability. With a game like DCS that usual calls for lots of extra controllers (stick, rudder, throttle, xbox controller as needed) I can only imagine just how quickly a laptop will run out of USB ports. I haven't owned a laptop in a decade though so maybe modern laptops have more than the  5that my old laptop had.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
This home build its really not that hard with YouTube tutorials (even I can do it). The biggest benefits to a desktop vs laptop is the ability to build and upgrade parts yourself as you see fit and cooling. You can get much better airflow into (colder) and out of (hot) a well designed case. The benefit of a laptop is smaller space occupation and more portability. With a game like DCS that usual calls for lots of extra controllers (stick, rudder, throttle, xbox controller as needed) I can only imagine just how quickly a laptop will run out of USB ports. I haven't owned a laptop in a decade though so maybe modern laptops have more than the  5that my old laptop had.
View All Quotes

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I’m lookin at some Lenovo towers on ExpertVoice. Probably be a few months yet as I had an unexpected repair bill.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 3:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow I just started learning and trying to utilize the CPG seat in the Apache. The capabilities of this thing are so cool!
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I’m lookin at some Lenovo towers on ExpertVoice. Probably be a few months yet as I had an unexpected repair bill.
View Quote

Powered USB hubs are a good thing as well, to add extra USB ports.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BRS1912:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BRS1912:

Each of my three cockpits has its own powered hub so I can just turn on what I'll be using at the time. I'd rather not deal with 20 different controllers/keyboards/mice at the same time
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lsujim] [#12]
So I just built a new rig (rtx 4090, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, 64 gb RAM) with open track head tracking and thrustmaster t16000 hotas and tried out DCS. I've been trying to learn the su25t and it's been a pain. I can get into the air but trying to get a straight and level flight without turning on the autopilot has been a pain in the ass. Feels like I spend my whole time trimming the plane up or down like a seasaw. I haven't even tried landing yet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lsujim:
So I just built a new rig (rtx 4090, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, 64 gb RAM) with open track head tracking and thrustmaster t16000 hotas and tried out DCS. I've been trying to learn the su25t and it's been a pain. I can get into the air but trying to get a straight and level flight without turning on the autopilot has been a pain in the ass. Feels like I spend my whole time trimming the plane up or down like a seasaw. I haven't even tried landing yet.
View Quote
Your system is begging for VR. Once you try it, you'll never go back to flat screen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
Your system is begging for VR. Once you try it, you'll never go back to flat screen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:

I got it running on a meta quest 2 headset. It's nice but the resolution isn't as crisp and I'm having a hard time reading some of the instruments (A4 Skyhawk especially). It's definitely much better than the head tracker though. I'd like to try out a trackir to compare
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]

I got it running on a meta quest 2 headset. It's nice but the resolution isn't as crisp and I'm having a hard time reading some of the instruments (A4 Skyhawk especially). It's definitely much better than the head tracker though. I'd like to try out a trackir to compare
View Quote

Ally you need is an aero. Or g2 is ok too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lsujim] [#16]

View All Quotes

Been messing around with my Meta Quest 2 in VR and doing certain maneuvers really makes me feel like I'm flying. It tricks the brain. I'd be doing DCS 24/7 with VR but I just having a hard time reading the cockpit dials and letter unless I lean in close. I still haven't done much fighting (missiles or bombs). I'm still trying to get more comfortable with landing. It's hard trying to get the appropriate throttle control, decent rate etc all together to make for a smooth landing. Also been watching and reading up on INS, ILS and TACAN. So many things to do. I upgraded my Thrustmaster TWCS throttle with some 3d printed parts and I'm looking at a VKB Gladiator stick. The Thrustmaster T16000M seems to have already developed a drift to the right.

I picked up a bunch of modules because of the 15-year sale. Some of the deals were too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#17]
Not played a flight sim (not counting War Thunder....) since the Jane's Fighters Anthology.

What gear (HOTAS, etc) do I need to invest in to get a good experience with DCS and MSFS?

Can I get away with a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS (w/throttle) and rudder pedals?  Is TrackIR necessary?

MSFS has a "Lern 2 Fly" tutorial, but what's the best way to learn to fly in DCS?
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
Not played a flight sim (not counting War Thunder....) since the Jane's Fighters Anthology.

What gear (HOTAS, etc) do I need to invest in to get a good experience with DCS and MSFS?

Can I get away with a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS (w/throttle) and rudder pedals?  Is TrackIR necessary?

MSFS has a "Lern 2 Fly" tutorial, but what's the best way to learn to fly in DCS?
View Quote

What's your budget?

The T-Flight will be fine to start with, especially for MSFS, but you'll find that you'll QUICKLY run out of buttons even with shift buttons in use.

Low budget: T-Flight, Logitech and such
Mid budget: Thrustmaster Warthog, Honeycomb and such
High budget: Virpil, VKB, Milan Flight Gear, Winwing and a few others
Stupid budget: Custom cockpits with boutique gear

If you can't afford VR, TrackIR is acceptable. It adds a HUGE level of immersion over using a hat to look around (ironically I use an actual hat for my tracker ). Something like Tobii eye trackers can be used as well for head tracking and there are some cheaper open source projects of varying effectiveness out there too.

Learning to fly in DCS is mostly a matter of either finding a beginner friendly group, or using YouTube tutorials and Chuck's Guides which are EXCELLENT.

https://chucksguides.com
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 12:55:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

View Quote
I would highly encourage you to spend $350-400 for decent quality kit. It makes learning things and mapping controls FAR easier. If you don't know if you're going to enjoy this hobby than maybe start with a $150 set like the t16000m stick an throttle. (They make rudders too but the 16000m stick can twist to simulate rudder or there's a paddle on the back of 16000m throttle). If you do know you're going to enjoy this and have the money, buy the highest quality stuff you can afford out of the gate so you don't have to try and resell your beginner stuff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I would highly encourage you to spend $350-400 for decent quality kit. It makes learning things and mapping controls FAR easier. If you don't know if you're going to enjoy this hobby than maybe start with a $150 set like the t16000m stick an throttle. (They make rudders too but the 16000m stick can twist to simulate rudder or there's a paddle on the back of 16000m throttle). If you do know you're going to enjoy this and have the money, buy the highest quality stuff you can afford out of the gate so you don't have to try and resell your beginner stuff.
View Quote

I started with the 1600 throttle, stick, and pedals. I wasn’t entirely sure I wanted to dump a ton of cash into it, now several years later I’m terrified to add up what I’ve spent.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By flightmed:
now several years later I’m terrified to add up what I’ve spent.
View Quote

Same. My new Virpil stick just got delivered to a friend's house because my VKB stick is getting a permanent extension for a heli setup. I couldn't figure out a way to use both my new collective and a regular throttle setup without a hassle.

So I had to get a new cockpit for that.

Which meant I needed new rudder pedals too.

Of course now that my old cockpit is dedicated to fighters now it'll need MFDs

Never ends.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

Same. My new Virpil stick just got delivered to a friend's house because my VKB stick is getting a permanent extension for a heli setup. I couldn't figure out a way to use both my new collective and a regular throttle setup without a hassle.

So I had to get a new cockpit for that.

Which meant I needed new rudder pedals too.

Of course now that my old cockpit is dedicated to fighters now it'll need MFDs

Never ends.
View Quote
Jesus christ thats next level lol. I'm fine with my t16k throttle, my vkb gladiator NXT stick and Logitech rudders. Bought an Xbox controller to map controls for Apache CPG TEDAC but ended up not using it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Been mostly out of flight sims for a while aside from messing around with War Thunder, but just upgraded my PC and have Virpil stick and throttle, soon rudder pedals. I'm gearing up for the DCS F4E release.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:43:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stoop] [#24]
DCS OpenBeta 2.9 has been released. Just installed it, took about an hour - its a big beast!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
DCS OpenBeta 2.9 has been released. Just installed it, took about an hour - its a big beast!
View Quote

Glad for the DLSS running 180 fps.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

lol, got me like 10... Maybe... Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

You ain't lying.  86 GB.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Yeah,  in VR it is buttery smooth for me,  actually saw way more than with multithreading.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't tried DLSS but DLAA and SSS have been amazing for me. Besides some minor ghosting it really brought the world to life in VR for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 2:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#31]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

10 fps is a substantial increase
View Quote

Yes and no. By DCS standards sure, all praise the high church of low expectations, aka ED. As a counterpoint turning DLSS on in MSFS day one literally got me from 60fps to ~120  and I was able to turn up a variety of settings quite a bit in MSFS and no artifacting. In DCS, nope...  I mean its far from unplayable etc, but its disappointing too.

If in DCS  it came with no other issues then its a no brainer, but there is some visual artifacting I'm seeing with some jet huds (though not others), and the same for MFD's. I haven't fully worked through the jets/maps etc either, but there is some very whack shit going on and it seems to be map specific, specifically the SA map. I'm seeing frames of like 40fps there which is way down compared to previously (60's), though bizzarely its butter smooth at 40fps.

I have seen several guys with potato level systems report they got way bigger boosts than I did though, so thats good.

Other good points is the implemented the dot mod that ED killed a few months back, so spotting for MP got better, though it needs tuning.
Also, I like the helo downwash effect, though its radius seems way too small from my time spent in helos hopefully they tweak/slider that at some point.
And we got a few updated 3d models, whee.

Mind you I have 12900k, a 4090 and a Varjo Aero, so my expectations are bit different than most peoples.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#32]

You ain't lying.  86 GB.
View Quote

30 gigs for the B-52 model
20 gigs for the bone
30 gigs for the S300
6 gigs for everything else.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#33]
If I fire a missile and then hit F6 to get to missile view, the actual missile is jerking around a lot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
If I fire a missile and then hit F6 to get to missile view, the actual missile is jerking around a lot.
View Quote

It’s the first item on the known issues list: Objects moving at speed may begin to jitter after some time in mission
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Did a quick spin in my E model in the weather @200 feet with the TF. Holy cow, in VR it's a weird sensation, never mind in real life. Hot damn they did a smoking job with this jet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Jester in the a6.

Sounds like its gonna be playable unless i missed this was announced before.
View Quote

That's what it sounded like.  And they are raising the bar again with Jester by opening the API to the community.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Jester in the a6.

Sounds like its gonna be playable unless i missed this was announced before.
View Quote

Its been known for like 2-3 years.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#41]

The mudhen would be sweet with jester
View Quote

Yeah, thats where raz screwed the pooch. Their insistence that the guy in the front seat can do everything. I guess "at some point" they will try to develop an AI model. Frankly I think they should stick to single seat jets.

The other amusing one is what the fuck the Torando guys will do, cuz that set of interactions is very complicated and backseat driven.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:09:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#42]

That's what it sounded like.  And they are raising the bar again with Jester by opening the API to the community.
View Quote

Ah yes "raising the bar" let me count the ways

Viggen
Broken A/G ord, namely ASM's being laser guided. Or magical Mavericks. Not to mention magical A/G radar. Being nearly mach 3 capable at high alt. Accelearting at mach 2 at low alt in a climb, the "negative drag bug" (hint the FM sucked balls for literal years). It took the fact it was banned from the most popular MP servers before even the slightest action was taken to fix it. Lets not even talk about their "magical A/G" radar. Again, 0 fixes to it for years.

F14
On its 3rd or 4th FM iteration, I guess flaps break and you can't pull 20G now, Fucking go mav go!!!.
AWG-9 still massively exploitable from the back seat. Plus missing a bunch of its actual functionality.
"The Phoenix" let me count the ways it was broke as fuck for what now 3-4 years?, Fox3 off the rail, Massively overperpefroming FM etc, guidance issues, the early 54A series working like the later 54C?. Literally the most broken fucking missile in DCS since the F14 was released. The moment it was "sort of" fixed the wails and lamentations of the F14 "community" were heard on pluto.
Jester.... Need we really say more?

And before you pooh pooh me. I'm just pointing out "the great HB" in reality. I know fanbois will gloss over all the overperforming bullshit and plop the limp Swedish cock back in their mouth for another go. But their track record in DCS is just as bad as everyone else if you actually bother to look.

I get it there is hero worship here for HB, but as a Dev, what they have is not fewer problems. What they have is better PR and lip service. At least being cynical about it the community can actually fix Jester for them, because the best part of DCS is the mod community putting in the work when ED fails.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#43]

Ah yes "raising the bar" let me count the ways

Viggen
Broken A/G ord, namely ASM's being laser guided. Or magical Mavericks. Not to mention magical A/G radar. Being nearly mach 3 capable at high alt. Accelearting at mach 2 at low alt in a climb, the "negative drag bug" (hint the FM sucked balls for literal years). It took the fact it was banned from the most popular MP servers before even the slightest action was taken to fix it.

F14
On its 3rd or 4th FM iteration, I guess flaps break and you can't pull 20G now.
AWG-9 still massively exploitable from the back seat. Plus missing a bunch of its actual functionality.
"The Phoenix" let me count the ways it was broke as fuck for what now 3-4 years?, Fox3 off the rail, Massively overperpefroming FM etc, guidance issues, the early 54A series working like the later 54C?.
Jester.... Need we really say more?

And before you pooh pooh me. I'm just pointing out "the great HB" in reality. I know fanbois will gloss over all the overperforming bullshit and plop the limp Swedish cock back in their mouth for another go.

I get it there is hero worship here for HB, but as a Dev, what they have is not fewer problems. What they have is better PR and lip service. At least being cynical about it the community can actually fix Jester for them, because the best part of DCS is the mod community putting in the work when ED fails.

View Quote

Edit for a tech forum:  Thanks.  I don't care.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#44]

View Quote

Yeah its painfully clear... But the only way ED and 3rd parties improve is if the community actually holds their feet to the fire. Otherwise you might as well go play warthunder. I can also tell you don't bother with MP, i.e. what makes DCS suck alot less because you have the equivalent of their main dev team in terms of talent holding it up so it doesn't suck. Also speaking of sucking, which Swedish delicacies do you prefer slurping down? Surströmming, or lutefisk?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Yeah its painfully clear... But the only way ED and 3rd parties improve is if the community actually holds their feet to the fire. Otherwise you might as well go play warthunder. I can also tell you don't bother with MP, i.e. what makes DCS suck alot less because you have the equivalent of their main dev team in terms of talent holding it up so it doesn't suck. Also speaking of sucking, which Swedish delicacies do you prefer slurping down? Surströmming, or lutefisk?
View All Quotes

It's unfortunately been a while since I've played much MP since my wingman has been too busy, and that's all I've played other than practicing on modules.

I realize there are several things missing and the team has been working on core features lately which is great news.

I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy.  But I get that not everyone is.

And as for Swedish delicacies other than meatballs at Ikea I'm not a connoisseur.  I've been to Norway a couple of times but never Sweden.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#47]

I thought they said it was gonna be an AI unit.
View Quote

AI was the tanker. The actual bomber was gonna be an actual module long before they partnered with the German dork to fix the eurofucker (which will be trash).
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#48]

It's unfortunately been a while since I've played much MP since my wingman has been too busy, and that's all I've played other than practicing on modules.

I realize there are several things missing and the team has been working on core features lately which is great news.

I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy.  But I get that not everyone is.

And as for Swedish delicacies other than meatballs at Ikea I'm not a connoisseur.  I've been to Norway a couple of times but never Sweden.
View Quote

Literally none of the 3rd parties works on the "core game". Thats ED's sad little ballpark, and I hate to say it say it at this point ED is literally a tier 2 or 3 developer. Their radar stuff is nowhere near up to par compared to what galinette has managed to do for the F15E or the M2k. The F18 FM is hilariously broken never mind stuff like MSI which is totally non existent in game. The viper is sort of better cuz its a much simpler jet, and they sort-or manage to get the FM right-ish. But still, the TGP/IR model is total garbage, the FM is so-so. And the radar, yeah, about that... Razbam called.

At this point the best play ED could make is to just buy out the Razbam Radar guy's radar model, tweak a few numbers and fix the F18 and then futz with it more and fix the F16 radar. But no, they are too arrogant and stupid, and have decided to double down on their own retarded radar "expert" (who is Russian and  has been corrected for several years but various radar SME's and is still a moron that can't understand a college level radar textbook) and continue with their own dumbshit radar "upgrade". Did I mention they are arrogant? And wrong?

Ultimately ED needs to spend a ton of money/time fixing the core game which is broken and is literally the runner up in the 1998 "simulator Olympics". And it sucks because they have deferred doing that for 20 plus years, and the basic A/G interaction is basically atari level at this point. They need to fix their SAM models, their IADS model, their entire Naval model, etc. And they are fuckign pants on head retarded for not doing it for the past decade.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:14:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#50]
The TGP/IR model criticism is probably the first thing you’ve said that I 100% agree with. When I was flying the hog a lot I constantly had to delete the shaders folder due to weird rendering problems.
View Quote

The entire TGP/IR problems are huge. Like IR missiles and sensors work through clouds in DCS and have for years (IRL IR doesn't work through clouds) its a total shitshow, everything from IR missiles down to TGP stuff in DCS is total garbage (lasers work thru clouds too, LOFL). Like laughably bad for anyone that knows .02c about it. And ED, doesn't give a shit. The clouds thing is even worse for WW2 guys cuz the AI doesn't see "clouds" meaning 109's see right through a cloud, as does the flak88 guy. Clouds don't exist in DCS aside from being a visual shader model. And if you as a company want to make the case your "sim-u-later" is the best on the market. Well I got a bridge in brooklyn for sale, cuz thats is game breaking problem and has been for 2-3 YEARS at this point.

At this point warthunder has a far better IR sensor model compared to DCS, and thats not saying much, but its saying alot at the same time.

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top