Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
Originally Posted By Phantomgtox:
Has anyone considered that the entire 50,000 year cycle, reapers, citadel, super weapon was all just some grand thought experiment by some god like being?

Just a few things that don't quite add up, but point to a bigger picture.

The crucible was not in fact designed by the Protheans, it was actually started possibly millions of years ago and was added on by each succeeding race in each new cycle.
Meaning..... a prototype was built, possibly completed, and then ultimately destroyed by the reapers. This ended the cycle.
The genius of the whole mass relay system & citadel was that all races would follow a certain technological path, a path chosen by some extra-galactic force.
There is much more to the plot than is being let on.

Also, why are all these races designing a super weapon that know one really knows anything about, and requires a critical component that .. no one knows anything about?

Of course the whole, oh we wipe out all life every cycle so that you dont create synthetics and get yourself killed. By synthetics. Oh wait.

The reapers set up a teleport beam station ON EARTH, that went straight to the center computer console on the citadel? Thats kinda odd since the reapers can directly interface with the citadel.. and have no need at all for a console to exist in the first place. Oh not to mention that no race has ever figured out how to access the secret areas of the citadel, so the reapers were kind enough to create a way for you to get there.
Oh and then guard it with a HUGE ARMY!.... No actually just one reaper.  .. .. that a few missiles could take out.. .. .. But wait! You ask yourself.  The reapers built the teleport thingy for a reason right? So they could teleport a bunch of human corpses into the citadel to make a NEW REAPER.

Lets just consider that for a moment. The reapers already have the knowledge to build a "human" reaper. Just because you blew up (or didn't.) the collector base, does not mean the reapers (who DIRECTLY controlled ) the collectors, would not have simply uploaded the blueprints at some point during the construction process. So why exactly do they need human corpses to make another reaper? They really just needed to extract the genetic information, which they did in ME2.  
Another point to consider is that the teleport beam did not take Shepard to a reaper construction facility, or a slaughterhouse. It took him to a console.

So who exactly put that console there? And why?
The reapers? Why would they create a console that activates a superweapon that would wipe them out. Or for that matter, why would they create a teleport beam station that leads RIGHT TO THE CONSOLE.

Why was the illusive man with you in the room? The prothean VI never told anyone what the catalyst was, or what it did. So the illusive man made a lucky guess that the reapers could be controlled... by the super weapon (which was not in his possession) and by using the catalyst (which he did not know was some little kid VI). That is an awful lot of intuitive leaps and coincidences. Especially for a man as planned and calculated as the illusive man.
Lets not forget that he made it to the teleport thingy unharmed....
But wait! He was indoctrinated! The reapers let him in, so that he could stop you!
If the reapers were really all that concerned that you would succeed, they would have had more than 1 reaper guarding the place, and would have sent up a huge force to guard the room. Not one dude that was half-assed indoctrinated. (And unarmed)

Just ask yourself a few questions.
The reapers would have destroyed the Crucible many times over the millions of years, at some point they would have had to ask themselves. Hey how come in each new cycle they figure out how to build the EXACT SAME MACHINE TO KILL US WITH.
Reaper 1: "Man thats totally odd. Should we look into that?"
Reaper 2: " Nah. Lets just let it go back to dark space and take a nap."
Reaper 1: "Yea for totally, last one there is a rotten synthetic egg!"

Lets also not forget that the Geth in the end made friends with the Quarians, and EDI wants to grind all over Joker. So you're telling me that in all the millions of years that organic life has created synthetic life.. NOT ONCE did they get along? (Keep in mind, the implicit reason the reapers exist in the first place is because organic life will ALWAYS create synthetic life.) So based on that logic, it is safe to assume that in every cycle, synthetic life was created.

I have more to my theory, including what I think is really going on....  I'll return when i'm less sleepy and post more information.

No offense intended to you or anyone else, but frankly, I think that all the conspiracy theories are simply reading waaay too much into the implications or "meaning" of the endings.  Indoctrinations, hallucinations, virtual reality, so on.  I think that what the ending means is simply that bioware just made a shitty, rushed ending, hoping that no one would care, or at least not until the money was on the table.  People are giving them too much credit for being deep and mysterious on this.  Bioware was rushed, they needed a way to wrap it up quick, they dumped a pile of bullshit on us.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.  JMHO

Thanks for reading my post, and perhaps you are correct. Sometimes the answer is a simple one, or the most obvious choice. Occams Razor and all that..

However, i've read all the books, lore, comics, listened to the codex from every mass effect. Completed every mission, side quest, beaten the games multiple times ect. (The Hitler Rant sums this up pretty well.)

So I have a hard time believing that one of the most well defined, deep and generally thought provoking game plots of all time would boil down to the absolute shit fuck of an ending that was presented.

So i'm going to just pretend that the ending never really happened and there is more to the ending than was revealed.

There was many ways the ending could have been done differently that would have tied up all the lose ends. Its almost as though they fired all the writers from the first two Mass Effect games.

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 3:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheNamelessOne] [#2]

Originally Posted By Macumazahn:

That ending was sorry.  It didn't correspond with the rest of the 3 games at all.   The endings weren't much different whichever way you went.  I'm thinking that ME4, or a new DLC will be released b/c there are so many ill ME players out there.  No closure at all.

yeah i had an argument with my friend about the ending he said it was bad but didn't ruin the series, i kept telling him it ruined all mass effect games, the story, setting and characters were pretty much cookie cutter and bland. The whole mass effect appeal was you changed how the story played out in big ways, up until then there were only a few choices in rpg type games and mostly they were good or bad choices that really didnt change much. once they made the game end with a forced choice of one of 3 possible endings no matter what or who you saved completely ruined the whole game.

Edit and i'm completely happy if shepherd died in most or all the endings, also i wanted a destroy the sol relay and blow up all the reapers option kinda like was done before. the universe would survive w/o earth plus the humans have a few colonies i consider it a very small loss all things considered.

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone considered that the entire 50,000 year cycle, reapers, citadel, super weapon was all just some grand thought experiment by some god like being?

The crucible was not in fact designed by the Protheans, it was actually started possibly millions of years ago and was added on by each succeeding race in each new cycle.
Meaning..... a prototype was built, possibly completed, and then ultimately destroyed by the reapers. This ended the cycle.
The genius of the whole mass relay system & citadel was that all races would follow a certain technological path, a path chosen by some extra-galactic force.

Also, why are all these races designing a super weapon that know one really knows anything about, and requires a critical component that .. no one knows anything about?

Of course the whole, oh we wipe out all life every cycle so that you dont create synthetics and get yourself killed. By synthetics. Oh wait.

The reapers set up a teleport beam station ON EARTH, that went straight to the center computer console on the citadel? Thats kinda odd since the reapers can directly interface with the citadel.. and have no need at all for a console to exist in the first place. Oh not to mention that no race has ever figured out how to access the secret areas of the citadel, so the reapers were kind enough to create a way for you to get there.
Oh and then guard it with a HUGE ARMY!.... No actually just one reaper.  .. .. that a few missiles could take out.. .. .. But wait! You ask yourself.  The reapers built the teleport thingy for a reason right? So they could teleport a bunch of human corpses into the citadel to make a NEW REAPER.

Lets just consider that for a moment. The reapers already have the knowledge to build a "human" reaper. Just because you blew up (or didn't.) the collector base, does not mean the reapers (who DIRECTLY controlled ) the collectors, would not have simply uploaded the blueprints at some point during the construction process. So why exactly do they need human corpses to make another reaper? They really just needed to extract the genetic information, which they did in ME2.  
Another point to consider is that the teleport beam did not take Shepard to a reaper construction facility, or a slaughterhouse. It took him to a console.

The reapers? Why would they create a console that activates a superweapon that would wipe them out. Or for that matter, why would they create a teleport beam station that leads RIGHT TO THE CONSOLE.

Why was the illusive man with you in the room? The prothean VI never told anyone what the catalyst was, or what it did. So the illusive man made a lucky guess that the reapers could be controlled... by the super weapon (which was not in his possession) and by using the catalyst (which he did not know was some little kid VI). That is an awful lot of intuitive leaps and coincidences. Especially for a man as planned and calculated as the illusive man.
But wait! He was indoctrinated! The reapers let him in, so that he could stop you!
If the reapers were really all that concerned that you would succeed, they would have had more than 1 reaper guarding the place, and would have sent up a huge force to guard the room. Not one dude that was half-assed indoctrinated. (And unarmed)

The reapers would have destroyed the Crucible many times over the millions of years, at some point they would have had to ask themselves. Hey how come in each new cycle they figure out how to build the EXACT SAME MACHINE TO KILL US WITH.

Lets also not forget that the Geth in the end made friends with the Quarians, and EDI wants to grind all over Joker. So you're telling me that in all the millions of years that organic life has created synthetic life.. NOT ONCE did they get along? (Keep in mind, the implicit reason the reapers exist in the first place is because organic life will ALWAYS create synthetic life.) So based on that logic, it is safe to assume that in every cycle, synthetic life was created.

I have more to my theory, including what I think is really going on....  I'll return when i'm less sleepy and post more information.

No offense intended to you or anyone else, but frankly, I think that all the conspiracy theories are simply reading waaay too much into the implications or "meaning" of the endings.  Indoctrinations, hallucinations, virtual reality, so on.  I think that what the ending means is simply that bioware just made a shitty, rushed ending, hoping that no one would care, or at least not until the money was on the table.  People are giving them too much credit for being deep and mysterious on this.  Bioware was rushed, they needed a way to wrap it up quick, they dumped a pile of bullshit on us.

Thanks for reading my post, and perhaps you are correct. Sometimes the answer is a simple one, or the most obvious choice. Occams Razor and all that..

However, i've read all the books, lore, comics, listened to the codex from every mass effect. Completed every mission, side quest, beaten the games multiple times ect. (The Hitler Rant sums this up pretty well.)

So I have a hard time believing that one of the most well defined, deep and generally thought provoking game plots of all time would boil down to the absolute shit fuck of an ending that was presented.

So i'm going to just pretend that the ending never really happened and there is more to the ending than was revealed.

There was many ways the ending could have been done differently that would have tied up all the lose ends. Its almost as though they fired all the writers from the first two Mass Effect games.

Well, Drew Karpshyn the lead writer for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 didn't work on Mass Effect 3.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 7:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EchoHouseBravo] [#4]
I didn't have a too much of a problem with the ending... Geth and EDI destroyed with the Reapers, well we just uplifted the Geth with Reaper code and tech, EDI was based on Reaper tech so it makes some sense. Feels super shitty after just helping out the Geth and Quarian situation, but sacrifices have to be made. Hell any of the endings means you commit genocide of an entire alien race which NOONE truly understands (The Keepers, since they only live on the Citadel). But whatever.  Alot of the lesser issues through out are answered, such as fixing the galactic screwups such as the Racchni Extinction, The Genophage, and the Geth situation. All really cool and I liked how you could actually build on those developments as you go. While I think the Indoctrination Theory is pretty entertaining, i don't buy into it, and instead just take the endings at face value.

The Catalyst AI was doing its job, reseting galactic civilization every 50,000 years, by pruning back FTL-capable civilizations and then preserving their genetic/organic manner in massive storehouses (IE Reapers). That on its surface ain't too bad. Makes alot of sense as to Why the hell were the Reapers harvesting humans, and creating Husks etc. You liquify them and make them into a new oozy uberblend inside a reaper body. Awesomesauce Now your race is a giant gestalt Cyborg Lobster. I can buy that. Sure. And give it some absurdly powerful weapons because those Reapers are the some genetic total of a given race/cycle.

The Catalyst was really just following its simplistic programming "Hey we're going to wipe you all out if you keep advancing, so we're going to reset the galaxy for you. You will be preserved just like the Giant Whale Probe in Star Trek IV, okay? Awesome. No hold still while we suck you dry for genetic goo." Now foolish organic races can't wipe out all life with their Nuclear Wessels of Mass Effection. Excellent.

Sadly, the Catalyst is limited by its own programming as well, hence why it uses the only resources it's got to achieve it's aims. its tools are the genetic arks themselves (The Reapers) and the Mass Relays. Thats all it's got, so of course it's goign to take what it sees as the most direct approach to prevent a spread of Synthetics and the complete obliteration of all FTl capable life. But that programming limits it to repeating the cycle over and over again because it's only tools are the Reapers, and the Mass Relays.

Until organic Life through enough iterations of remainders (Ie MATRIX BITCHES!) can break the code/cause the system to crash (or create new possibilities).  And those Remainders were all the data that each Cycle seeded to the next in the form of the Crucible.

All that is fine. I'm fine with the lack of heroic ending, of happiness and applause all around. Thats lame. You didn't need it in KOTOR 2 did you? No, there you just fly back off in to the Outer Rim and are all "Well Yeah I am a Void i nthe Force and unconsciusly brainwash people. Bye." The ending is short and succint and shos that Shepard was a consummate badass, willing to headbutt Krogans and sex up some Turians all in the name of Galactic Peace. It was about saving Humanity, or the Galaxy as a whole. To have a little happy ending, of "Yeah! Now we can have hugs and handshake and do you like my new Unobtanium Cross with the 37 V's for distinction? Well shit dawg."
BadAss of the Week: Commander Shepard
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 11:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#5]
Originally Posted By 501st:

Well, Drew Karpshyn the lead writer for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 didn't work on Mass Effect 3.

IIRC, he was lead on ME1, just a regular writer in 2, and was not involved at all on 3.  And I think you can see the downward slide play out over the series - the story and dialogue of ME1 is completely unmatched by the other two IMO, even though the more polished combat and inventory systems give the sequels the edge overall.

Karpshyn DID have his own plans for the ending of 3 before he left or was pulled, which leaked out onto the internet a while back.  It was much, much better than the current crap we have been given.  It actually gave the reapers a motivation that made sense, and it actually had a wide variety of endings.  It was just too hard for Bioware to implement real choices into the ending, I guess.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah the endings do suck.. I don't like how all you've to see is 3 members of the crew on a strange planet and then an old man and a young boy talking.
You don't get to see what happens to the rest of your squad or anyone else fighting the war, who died, who lived etc.

Also the end makes it sound like space travel was wiped out but there are problems with that, here's two.

1:  If you choose to mix organics and synthetics, their newly known intelligence would allow them to make new Mass Relays, since the reapers, the catalyst AI etc all melded together.
2: There were thousands of ships still around at the end, and they travel faster than the speed of light, making it possible to at least travel around nearby solar systems.

I also didn't get how Ashley was with me when a reaper beam hit me but was then on the Normandy, who left Earth to fight with the fleets.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure most have you have seen things, but I thought I would post it for those that haven't.   I thought it was pretty funny.   Serious business this stuff is.

Fan Files FTC Complaint
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]

IIRC, he was lead on ME1, just a regular writer in 2, and was not involved at all on 3.  And I think you can see the downward slide play out over the series - the story and dialogue of ME1 is completely unmatched by the other two IMO, even though the more polished combat and inventory systems give the sequels the edge overall.

Karpshyn DID have his own plans for the ending of 3 before he left or was pulled, which leaked out onto the internet a while back.  It was much, much better than the current crap we have been given.  It actually gave the reapers a motivation that made sense, and it actually had a wide variety of endings.  It was just too hard for Bioware to implement real choices into the ending, I guess.  

I guess we just have to wait and see if Bioware gives us the fabled free proper ending dlc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]

I guess we just have to wait and see if Bioware gives us the fabled free proper ending dlc.

If they give it to us, it won't be free.  I can just about guarantee it - artists, VA's, writers, and so on don't work for free, and EA doesn't plan on losing money on this whole thing.

I'd guess $10-15, like their other DLCs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess the more I play it after the fact... the more I think about it, the more pissed off I get.

My advice: When you're on Earth and running for the conduit, once you and your team are fried by Harbinger.... turn your console off. Shepard died. End of game.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#11]
One option

Catalyst: "I control the Reapers and shit.  They are my design."
Shepherd: "So you control them and agree that I can make the decision regarding the universe and shit right?"
C:  "yeah"
S:  "k turn them off without destroying the mass relays, fucking up genetics, or fucking up the geth"

TOO FUCKING EASY
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
IGN says they are in fact changing the ending.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221273p1.html
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Spartanatheart:
IGN says they are in fact changing the ending.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221273p1.html

Well, to be realistic it only says that they will give more closure.  What that means is anyone's guess.  It may just be a longer epilogue that explains more of the aftermath.  It may be new endings options beyond Red, Green, or Blue explosions.  At this point, we just don't know.

Still, I'll take what I can get at this point.  It's an encouraging sign at the very least.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EchoHouseBravo:
I didn't have a too much of a problem with the ending... Geth and EDI destroyed with the Reapers, well we just uplifted the Geth with Reaper code and tech, EDI was based on Reaper tech so it makes some sense. Feels super shitty after just helping out the Geth and Quarian situation, but sacrifices have to be made. Hell any of the endings means you commit genocide of an entire alien race which NOONE truly understands (The Keepers, since they only live on the Citadel). But whatever.  Alot of the lesser issues through out are answered, such as fixing the galactic screwups such as the Racchni Extinction, The Genophage, and the Geth situation. All really cool and I liked how you could actually build on those developments as you go. While I think the Indoctrination Theory is pretty entertaining, i don't buy into it, and instead just take the endings at face value.

The Catalyst AI was doing its job, reseting galactic civilization every 50,000 years, by pruning back FTL-capable civilizations and then preserving their genetic/organic manner in massive storehouses (IE Reapers). That on its surface ain't too bad. Makes alot of sense as to Why the hell were the Reapers harvesting humans, and creating Husks etc. You liquify them and make them into a new oozy uberblend inside a reaper body. Awesomesauce Now your race is a giant gestalt Cyborg Lobster. I can buy that. Sure. And give it some absurdly powerful weapons because those Reapers are the some genetic total of a given race/cycle.

The Catalyst was really just following its simplistic programming "Hey we're going to wipe you all out if you keep advancing, so we're going to reset the galaxy for you. You will be preserved just like the Giant Whale Probe in Star Trek IV, okay? Awesome. No hold still while we suck you dry for genetic goo." Now foolish organic races can't wipe out all life with their Nuclear Wessels of Mass Effection. Excellent.

Sadly, the Catalyst is limited by its own programming as well, hence why it uses the only resources it's got to achieve it's aims. its tools are the genetic arks themselves (The Reapers) and the Mass Relays. Thats all it's got, so of course it's goign to take what it sees as the most direct approach to prevent a spread of Synthetics and the complete obliteration of all FTl capable life. But that programming limits it to repeating the cycle over and over again because it's only tools are the Reapers, and the Mass Relays.

Until organic Life through enough iterations of remainders (Ie MATRIX BITCHES!) can break the code/cause the system to crash (or create new possibilities).  And those Remainders were all the data that each Cycle seeded to the next in the form of the Crucible.

All that is fine. I'm fine with the lack of heroic ending, of happiness and applause all around. Thats lame. You didn't need it in KOTOR 2 did you? No, there you just fly back off in to the Outer Rim and are all "Well Yeah I am a Void i nthe Force and unconsciusly brainwash people. Bye." The ending is short and succint and shos that Shepard was a consummate badass, willing to headbutt Krogans and sex up some Turians all in the name of Galactic Peace. It was about saving Humanity, or the Galaxy as a whole. To have a little happy ending, of "Yeah! Now we can have hugs and handshake and do you like my new Unobtanium Cross with the 37 V's for distinction? Well shit dawg."

KOTOR2 wasn't really a complete game...Obsidian was forced to put it out the door long before it was ready.

What I don't like is your choices didn't mean squat in the end...it all boils down to three "choices" that have been done before and aren't as 'edgy' as the writers think. I pretty much expected that Shepard, and many of the major NPCs would probably buy the farm to win...all I really wanted was for civilization to survive so he/she would be properly remembered. But with all the choices one makes in the series...there could and should have been endings that reflect them. If someone wants to be 100% Paragon and rally the whole Galaxy behind him and lead them to a epic Triumph that will be remembered for tens of thousands of years, they could have had it. If someone wants to be 100% Renegade and get everyone hating humans so bad they let the Reapers take Earth down, OK. If they want to actually sign up and get plugged into thier very own Reaper so they can help scour the galaxy of those pesky organics.....hell, I'd do that ending for the achievement.

What we got was pretty lame, I think.

It seems to me like it's a cross between the Battlestar Galactica remake and Matrix 3.......like in BSG you fight and struggle to survive only to realize the haven you were fighting to reach was merely some invisible space monster's abbatoir, and the cattle car you're in just pulled up to the door. For good measure they threw in the Matrixy 'choice' where you're expected to validate the genocide of your own species and the other species in the Milky Way....not to mention all the countless species that went through the slaughterhouse door before you...by playing thier sick game. They basically gamble they've set the pain threshold of the "Destroy" ending so high Shepard...as the previous incarnations of 'The One" before.... won't choose it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

KOTOR2 wasn't really a complete game...Obsidian was forced to put it out the door long before it was ready.

What I don't like is your choices didn't mean squat in the end...it all boils down to three "choices" that have been done before and aren't as 'edgy' as the writers think. I pretty much expected that Shepard, and many of the major NPCs would probably buy the farm to win...all I really wanted was for civilization to survive so he/she would be properly remembered. But with all the choices one makes in the series...there could and should have been endings that reflect them. If someone wants to be 100% Paragon and rally the whole Galaxy behind him and lead them to a epic Triumph that will be remembered for tens of thousands of years, they could have had it. If someone wants to be 100% Renegade and get everyone hating humans so bad they let the Reapers take Earth down, OK. If they want to actually sign up and get plugged into thier very own Reaper so they can help scour the galaxy of those pesky organics.....hell, I'd do that ending for the achievement.

It seems to me like it's a cross between the Battlestar Galactica remake and Matrix 3.......like in BSG you fight and struggle to survive only to realize the haven you were fighting to reach was merely some invisible space monster's abbatoir, and the cattle car you're in just pulled up to the door. For good measure they threw in the Matrixy 'choice' where you're expected to validate the genocide of your own species and the other species in the Milky Way....not to mention all the countless species that went through the slaughterhouse door before you...by playing thier sick game. They basically gamble they've set the pain threshold of the "Destroy" ending so high Shepard...as the previous incarnations of 'The One" before.... won't choose it.

But in and of itself, I agree on KOTOR2 However that is my point excatly. It's not a terrible game. Also see Jade Empire. poof all of asudden you're facing the guy you thought was dead all along? OMG! This is par for the course with bioware, but it is an ending which isn't incomplete or empty, there is a lot of meaning if just very subtle.

As for the Matrix and BSG ties, well sure, but they're really just archtropes that define Science Fiction... I e a massive unknown threat which caused the  current threat. IE Visigoths being pushed by the Mongols who pushed the ostrogoths etc in roman history. The stories are always told from a MORTAL perspective so you don't have some omnicient view of all the events going on. So it should be a surprise. And a surpise it was. They've always made the game about CHOICE, and the choices you've made all have had some weight to it, but in the end while your choices did matter up to that point, when you're faced with OVERWELMING force, your choices are limited.  Would an ending have been better if you have to choose between sacrificing Shield Fleet and pushing the Crucible into place? Or How about sacrificing the  Turian/Quarian Fleets  in order to distract Harbringer and the Reapers guarding the Teleporter? People are more bitter about thieir character being powerless  in the overall scheme of the universe than with the given endings.  But that really is the point of mass Effect. You can make small choices which have big effects, but the biggest things you do can only DELAY the inevitable. You blow up a previously undestroyable Mass Relay, and you only delay the reapers a few months. You destroy Soverign and you've delayed the reaper invasion a few years. The Protheans hide on Ilos and reprogram the Keepers but only delay the eventual turning of the Cycle. You are essentially Powerless because of the grandiose scale of whats going on, and I think thats what drives people nuts. They're just upset because unlie say Final Fantasy, you're not single handedly fighting some god monster. In Mass Effect, you're just a man/or woman, a bad ass one, but you still have limits.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 12:21:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#17]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

But in and of itself, I agree on KOTOR2 However that is my point excatly. It's not a terrible game. Also see Jade Empire. poof all of asudden you're facing the guy you thought was dead all along? OMG! This is par for the course with bioware, but it is an ending which isn't incomplete or empty, there is a lot of meaning if just very subtle.

As for the Matrix and BSG ties, well sure, but they're really just archtropes that define Science Fiction... I e a massive unknown threat which caused the  current threat. IE Visigoths being pushed by the Mongols who pushed the ostrogoths etc in roman history. The stories are always told from a MORTAL perspective so you don't have some omnicient view of all the events going on. So it should be a surprise. And a surpise it was. They've always made the game about CHOICE, and the choices you've made all have had some weight to it, but in the end while your choices did matter up to that point, when you're faced with OVERWELMING force, your choices are limited.  Would an ending have been better if you have to choose between sacrificing Shield Fleet and pushing the Crucible into place? Or How about sacrificing the  Turian/Quarian Fleets  in order to distract Harbringer and the Reapers guarding the Teleporter? People are more bitter about thieir character being powerless  in the overall scheme of the universe than with the given endings.  But that really is the point of mass Effect. You can make small choices which have big effects, but the biggest things you do can only DELAY the inevitable. You blow up a previously undestroyable Mass Relay, and you only delay the reapers a few months. You destroy Soverign and you've delayed the reaper invasion a few years. The Protheans hide on Ilos and reprogram the Keepers but only delay the eventual turning of the Cycle. You are essentially Powerless because of the grandiose scale of whats going on, and I think thats what drives people nuts. They're just upset because unlie say Final Fantasy, you're not single handedly fighting some god monster. In Mass Effect, you're just a man/or woman, a bad ass one, but you still have limits.

Eh.  I see your point, but my problems with the ending are bigger than just the lack of choice.

The other problems I and most others have with the ending are the massive plot holes and lack of closure.  

Why the fuck was Joker fleeing from the fight?  He had to have started pretty early to get all the way to the mass relay prior to the explosion.
How the hell did my squadmates teleport up to the normandy before it left?  
How could the relay explosions be so large and powerful as to be seen from outside the fricking galaxy and yet not manage to destroy the entire star systems where they were?  
What happens to all the different races now marooned near a devastated Earth?  Do the Krogan just end up eating everyone else to survive?
What happens to your squadmates after they get stranded on Gilligan's planet?  I'm not really taking much comfort from the idea that my love interest from the previous two games is now getting gangbanged by the rest of the crew to help populate the planet.

And those are just some of the issues that I can remember thinking at the end of one playthrough.  There's a bunch of others as well that others have pointed out.

Did I want a broader range of endings?  Absolutely (especially when they said there would be and then didn't deliver).  But my problems with the ending go way beyond that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Eh.  I see your point, but my problems with the ending are bigger than just the lack of choice.

The other problems I and most others have with the ending are the massive plot holes and lack of closure.  

Why the fuck was Joker fleeing from the fight?  He had to have started pretty early to get all the way to the mass relay prior to the explosion.
How could the relay explosions be so large and powerful as to be seen from outside the fricking galaxy and yet not manage to destroy the entire star systems where they were?  
What happens to all the different races now marooned near a devastated Earth?  Do the Krogan just end up eating everyone else to survive?
What happens to your squadmates after they get stranded on Gilligan's planet?  I'm not really taking much comfort from the idea that my love interest from the previous two games is now getting gangbanged by the rest of the crew to help populate the planet.

And those are just some of the issues that I can remember thinking at the end of one playthrough.  There's a bunch of others as well that others have pointed out.

Did I want a broader range of endings?  Absolutely (especially when they said there would be and then didn't deliver).  But my problems with the ending go way beyond that.

Why was Joker fleeing? Well yeah, maybe he saw the massive blast wave and was all, "Oh fuck. Hit the burners and FO!" really I dont know, its away to set up a new trilogy based around new alienas though...
The Squadmate thing, theoretically they dont have to be... one is your LI and the other possibility is EDI, + 1 other. i happened to be using EDI and JamacaProthean, so I had EDI show up in the Green ending, but not in the Blue or Red endings.  I think its semi random but given the shortage of characters (one thing I thought was sort of lame) and if you didn't have certain people survive the Collector Base (thus say eliminating Garrus) you could end up a very limited supply of people showing up in the cinematic.

The massive explosions well the blast has to be strong enough to rewrite the DNA of all life to be both Synthetic and Organic you're talking some MASSIVE radiation. :P  To burn out all Reaper tech, I suppose same thing, and if it's a massive pulse, perhaps in order to spread FTL it Blue Shifts to another bandwidth? likely it was just artistic license to show "look the thinie is spreading across the whole galaxy". As for not destroying the system they're located in, well certain forms of radiation don't affect things... Quasars, etc Maybe it's just a visible light code and everyone in the galaxy just has a slightly higher tan? :P

The races now stuck around Earth isn't really that big of deal for me, per say, but in this case, theoretically the Quarian and Turian races are doomed because they can't survive on Earth-type amino acid based foods, But thats in the LONG run. Short term they're fine since the ENTIRE Quarian Race (Home Fleet) which has massive botanical gardens is there. krogans, Asari, Batarians, Salarians and humans are all fine too because they can be fed via Earth foods. Yes they're semi stranded, and have got a good ole multi year trek to the next solar system, but hey, the Reapers are gone, right? :P

As for the Gilligan Planet, well maybe thats the next Mass Effect Series... I think it's more a juxtaposition literary device. The whole galaxy has a new future, not one set out before. So go out there and Explore!

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Why was Joker fleeing? Well yeah, maybe he saw the massive blast wave and was all, "Oh fuck. Hit the burners and FO!" really I dont know, its away to set up a new trilogy based around new alienas though...
The Squadmate thing, theoretically they dont have to be... one is your LI and the other possibility is EDI, + 1 other. i happened to be using EDI and JamacaProthean, so I had EDI show up in the Green ending, but not in the Blue or Red endings.  I think its semi random but given the shortage of characters (one thing I thought was sort of lame) and if you didn't have certain people survive the Collector Base (thus say eliminating Garrus) you could end up a very limited supply of people showing up in the cinematic.

The massive explosions well the blast has to be strong enough to rewrite the DNA of all life to be both Synthetic and Organic you're talking some MASSIVE radiation. :P  To burn out all Reaper tech, I suppose same thing, and if it's a massive pulse, perhaps in order to spread FTL it Blue Shifts to another bandwidth? likely it was just artistic license to show "look the thinie is spreading across the whole galaxy". As for not destroying the system they're located in, well certain forms of radiation don't affect things... Quasars, etc Maybe it's just a visible light code and everyone in the galaxy just has a slightly higher tan? :P

The races now stuck around Earth isn't really that big of deal for me, per say, but in this case, theoretically the Quarian and Turian races are doomed because they can't survive on Earth-type amino acid based foods, But thats in the LONG run. Short term they're fine since the ENTIRE Quarian Race (Home Fleet) which has massive botanical gardens is there. krogans, Asari, Batarians, Salarians and humans are all fine too because they can be fed via Earth foods. Yes they're semi stranded, and have got a good ole multi year trek to the next solar system, but hey, the Reapers are gone, right? :P

As for the Gilligan Planet, well maybe thats the next Mass Effect Series... I think it's more a juxtaposition literary device. The whole galaxy has a new future, not one set out before. So go out there and Explore!

Crossing a few light years in a short time frame was never a problem, crossing the 1,000s of light years between major systems was made clear to not be feasible without the relays.  Shouldn't be any shortage of large eezo cores in the sol system after the largest fleet battle in the series, logic would dictate survivors would want to build small relays with the leftovers.  Don't remeber seeing female Turians or Krogans on earth so my guess is they'd die out slowly.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Plus even if the Relays were destroyed, its apparent that they had effectively stifled invention. Why develop some other tech to do what is already capable  just chillin' out by Pluto?

Krogan can live for hundreds of years so I'd not be terribly worried about them, though The Turians and Salarians would be in more trouble...
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Plus even if the Relays were destroyed, its apparent that they had effectively stifled invention. Why develop some other tech to do what is already capable  just chillin' out by Pluto?

Krogan can live for hundreds of years so I'd not be terribly worried about them, though The Turians and Salarians would be in more trouble...

So would the humans and Quarians.  You know, with the krogan eating them and all.    Of course, what's left of the charred earth is not going to even be able to sustain all the billions of humans that came from both earth and all the colonies all over the galaxy to fight, much less support the many billions of Turians, Quarians (they are both screwed anyway cause they can't eat human food) Salarians, Krogan, Batarians, Asari, Vorcha, and all the other random races that piled into the solar system before the relays blew up.  They won't have time to develop tech that will allow fast travel back to home planets before the resources at hand run out.

Seriously though, the problem with any responses to the problems with the unfinished story points at the end of the game is that they are all conjecture.  Not that yours were bad or anything - if they work for you that is fine by me.  But for me personally, when a game leaves that much unsaid that players then have to fill in and argue about, it smacks of rushed or unfinished work.  Maybe Bioware wanted it that way, I don't know.  It just felt rather crude to me.  Why couldn't they have spent a little extra time on an actual epilogue that wrapped stuff up?

Then again, it seems that Bioware is now going to give us that at the very least, so I'll stop bitching for now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
The ending was the biggest cock slap of any game I've ever played. Worst part is you're forced into playing the multiplayer to get 5k "EFFECTIVE" military strength in order for Shepard to even live. Then, in stead of simply beating the final mission then doing later DLC's, you're forced back to before the assault on Cerberus, forcing you complete that annoying ass mission and the last two on Earth once more, for a 20 minute finish to a game with a bad ending. Plus, ME3 half assed showing Tali's face, when she is the most loved character by the fans next to Garrus and Wrex. I'm fucking pissed. 45 hours with 100% completetion of single player is fucking bullshit.

The sound track was amazing, I'll give it that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Was anyone else hoping for a real mission for the Elcor extraction? Wanted to see their homeworld and see them in combat. Nope, was nothing more than a planet scan.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
Was anyone else hoping for a real mission for the Elcor extraction? Wanted to see their homeworld and see them in combat. Nope, was nothing more than a planet scan.

I wanted to ride one into battle like a gorilla-horse.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WheatSnackBread:

I wanted to ride one into battle like a gorilla-horse.

I had my hopes up too.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe in the indoctrinaion theory as it makes the most sense to me. Once sheppard gets hit by the beam the rest is the reapers try to indoctrinate him. The only good answer is to destroy the reapers. This video explains it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

I believe in the indoctrinaion theory as it makes the most sense to me. Once sheppard gets hit by the beam the rest is the reapers try to indoctrinate him. The only good answer is to destroy the reapers. This video explains it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Its got some good evidence behind it, but I see some problems.  For instance, I don't think Shepard was ever THAT exposed to Reapers/their tech to become indoctrinated.  He is exposed for maybe a few hours at a time on only a few occasions.  Getting a high-functioning thrall means slow indoctrination over weeks or months of exposure.  They're saying that indoctrinated enemies count as exposure but I don't think there's anything in the info we have on indoctrination to support that you can get indoctrinated that way.  Your squadmates (Garrus and Tali especially) would show symptoms, as well. The best evidence in support of it is the kid and Admiral Hackett's radio call on the Citadel, IMO.

It also seems like a pretty radical shift in style.  The story, while great, has never hidden any major plot element from the player for long and has been told in a very straightforward manner, and they certainly didn't let the other games end with you asking yourself, "Wait, what just happened?".  Why change that?

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

Its got some good evidence behind it, but I see some problems.  For instance, I don't think Shepard was ever THAT exposed to Reapers/their tech to become indoctrinated.  He is exposed for maybe a few hours at a time on only a few occasions.  Getting a high-functioning thrall means slow indoctrination over weeks or months of exposure.  They're saying that indoctrinated enemies count as exposure but I don't think there's anything in the info we have on indoctrination to support that you can get indoctrinated that way.  Your squadmates (Garrus and Tali especially) would show symptoms, as well. The best evidence in support of it is the kid and Admiral Hackett's radio call on the Citadel, IMO.

It also seems like a pretty radical shift in style.  The story, while great, has never hidden any major plot element from the player for long and has been told in a very straightforward manner, and they certainly didn't let the other games end with you asking yourself, "Wait, what just happened?".  Why change that?

Did you ever play Arrival?

During that Shephard gets highly exposed and that is where he rly starts seeig visions and hearing the Reapers voices. Arrival was a trap to indoctrinate him basically.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#30]

His name was Marauder Shields.

lmao, I was disappoint about the ending and that video helped cheer me up

I find myself not wanting to replay this game, unlike the first two that I replayed time and time again..... balls
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By WillDe83:

His name was Marauder Shields.

lmao, I was disappoint about the ending and that video helped cheer me up

I find myself not wanting to replay this game, unlike the first two that I replayed time and time again..... balls

I have the same feeling.

And the worst part is this; there were a lot of really good moments in ME3.

But damn, that ending is like a punch in the gut.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#32]
My avatar explains my feelings. HE TRIED TO STOP ME!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#33]

During that Shephard gets highly exposed and that is where he rly starts seeig visions and hearing the Reapers voices. Arrival was a trap to indoctrinate him basically.

even the indoctrination theory doesn't make since, because Shepperd is pretty much fucked when hes hit by the beam and whats to gain by having him as a double agent when the reapers are about to have total victory.

also my Shepperd never did any of the DLC so for them to make the ending rely on that is just shoddy work.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TheNamelessOne:

even the indoctrination theory doesn't make since, because Shepperd is pretty much fucked when hes hit by the beam and whats to gain by having him as a double agent when the reapers are about to have total victory.

also my Shepperd never did any of the DLC so for them to make the ending rely on that is just shoddy work.

Indoctrination theory is giving Bioware/EA way too much credit if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to say that's what they were going for all along though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Harvey041:

Indoctrination theory is giving Bioware/EA way too much credit if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to say that's what they were going for all along though.

X2 its just a coincidental stretch of the imagination to justify how they butchered the series with ending there is more evidence to suggest they were rushed and needed to release it, the first day DLC, the time they spent on the abandoned FPS multiplayer, sub-par co-operative mutliplayer they just bit off more than they could chew.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#36]

Yep. Nevermind that he destroys two reapers and an AA reaper cannon. Piss poor double agent indeed. He repeatedly foils reaper plans in ME3, and it's not like it was some plots within plots advantage for the reapers where he's playing into their hands. He
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:47:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sinlessorrow] [#37]
well here is what the ending should have been

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3680/qr3ls1.jpg
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Lolz

EA is The Consumerist's Worst Company in America for 2012

Oh well, Worst Company In America 2012 is officially in the books. All that's left to do is send off the Golden Poo to EA.

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow.
But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its
pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harvey041] [#39]
Lolz

EA is The Consumerist's Worst Company in America for 2012

Oh well, Worst Company In America 2012 is officially in the books. All that's left to do is send off the Golden Poo to EA.

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

I can't wait for the day that EA crashes and burns into the ground.

On the other hand this thread cracks me up pretty good:

Biowares hard work and effort into the Quarian face.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey, this thread resurrected itself!

Bioware seems to be leaning toward not changing the endings in future DLC, but rather offering more "clarification," whatever that means.  This is based on tweets and other comments they have made, apparently.

I am hoping we'll hear something more concrete at PAX.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:53:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_ATF] [#41]
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/05/mass-effect-3-extended-cut/

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut

An official press release went out today announcing how we
are re-prioritizing the Mass Effect 3 post release content schedule to
provide a more fleshed out experience for our fans. For many of you the
"Extended Cut” will help answer some questions and give closure to this
chapter of the Mass Effect story. Oh and it’s at no cost to you – the
fan.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

An official press release went out today announcing how we are re-prioritizing the Mass Effect 3 post release content schedule to provide a more fleshed out experience for our fans. For many of you the "Extended Cut” will help answer some questions and give closure to this chapter of the Mass Effect story. Oh and it’s at no cost to you – the fan.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

An official press release went out today announcing how we are re-prioritizing the Mass Effect 3 post release content schedule to provide a more fleshed out experience for our fans. For many of you the "Extended Cut” will help answer some questions and give closure to this chapter of the Mass Effect story. Oh and it’s at no cost to you – the fan.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see on this one.

At least it's free.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like the endings are staying like they are.

Supposedly someone leaked an outline of the upcoming big DLC called terminator that describes what halpens after the game ends.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#45]
still to little too late.

its like taking Jessica Alba home and finding a pickle surprise. Your entire outlook is changed and can never be "fixed".

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#46]

its like taking Jessica Alba home and finding a pickle surprise. Your entire outlook is changed and can never be "fixed".

I hear ya, at least the game was fun, ill probably beat it a few more times.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I didn't have much of an issue with the game ending up until the "epilogue" scene. I can buy the whole Catalyst kid moral dilemma thing... but why was the Normandy fleeing the fight? How did my two team members from Earth get on the Normandy? Did they all just abandon me? Oh shit guys, did you just see Harbinger blast Shepard? Let's not check if he's alive or anything, let's just book it... Joker come get us, let's beat cheeks for the other end of the galaxy.

I'm kind of expecting this "DLC" to be nothing more than an Animal House-esque "where are they now" montage, possibly based on game decisions and possibly backed by Otis Day and the N7's. But no matter which way you ended the game it sounds like Shepard is still dead or all alone near death on ruined station, his crew is lost in space and the galaxy is thrown into a virtual dark ages. Congratulation, a winner is you... here is a DLC pack with Pat Sajack showing you the prize showcase.

And just for the record I finished the game with 99% war assets (played the iphone game religiously in my spare time thinking it would somehow give me a better ending), did all the sidequests and chose to kill the reapers. I figured wiping out an entire civilization (the Geth) and Joker's sex doll was acceptable losses. I suppose that is why everyone left me to rot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#48]
What possible inhabitable planet could the crew have landed on anyways?  The whole thought of it is just such a joke beyond the whole why did they leave Shepard and enter a mass relay,  It looks uncharterd what are the chanes in the explored mass relay galaxy they jump a relay had to have landed in a solar system with a mass relay they wouldnt have had a chance to book it to a satellite solar system, then landed on an unihabited planet that was clearly able to support life, as far as I know all of the systems with a mass relay directly within that system that have a planet that life would survive on are developed extensively.  Of all the shit planets that cant support any life, or the planets that can support life but are extensively inhabited and developed they land on a undeveloped one.  I doubt after there failure to create an ending without cracks all over it they could possibly cover all there bases and produce a legitmate excuse as to why the ending sucked so bad, this artist integrity line is insulting to everyone that ever played the series, its a shame theres so many video game media outlets giving them this scape goat of an excuse for them to exploit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 6:49:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harvey041] [#49]

I hear ya, at least the game was fun, ill probably beat it a few more times.

I've tried to play through it again, but the ending has sucked the life out of the game for me. I got to the mars missions on my second game and I have no will power to continue knowing how bad the ending was. At least in ME2 you could make it different each time trying to get your whole squad to live and changing your choices. It's like in ME3 nothing you do matters at all. The only thing that changes is what color ending you want.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like the endings are staying like they are.

Supposedly someone leaked an outline of the upcoming big DLC called terminator that describes what halpens after the game ends.

We'll see.  Bioware has denied that that leak is real multiple times.  Then again, they also claimed a bunch of other things that turned out to be wrong, so this could be real.

I really, really hope that the DLC leak was just the work of somebody on the internet, because it was utter bullshit too.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top