Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The javelin teams were a riot the past week. It really pisses off the other team.

I'll be back in tonight. Been sick the last week and hitting the sack early = no bf3

-TangoZA206
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe people complain about the javelin!  The stinger got nerfed to the point that its useless. Do they just expect choppers and planes to be able to fly around all day long and blow stuff up without being taken down?

Hopefully you get better and we see you soon, Tango!
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If you guys get on tell me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:
If you guys get on tell me.

I'm at work right now, but I always get on TS3 before joining the server.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I was on the other team for that round on Caspian Border when you guys were running the Javelin wall of death. Your defensive line was pretty much unbreakable... every armor or air vehicle that got even within a thousand feet of the checkpoint on the highway was lit up and blown to pieces in seconds. And with your snipers and very skilled players also watching the road and hills, jumping out and trying to approach on foot was murder as well. The only thing that could have turned the tide on that map would have been more people... had we had the ability to just flood the checkpoint Chinese human wave style with troops and armor we might have stood a fighting chance. But as it was with like ten on ten we had two options: die in a vehicle or die on foot. Plus you had the benefit of teamspeak coordination. My team was like herding cats... everyone running around higgledy piggledy trying their own thing to no avail. Even though I could listen in there was no way to determine where you all were in time to affect a decent attack.

I think the main complaint about the Javelin is that a Javelin locking onto an air or ground target via the SOFLAM or CITV is 100% unstoppable. It's laser designated so no countermeasures will spoof it. The only hope you have is to spot the telltale red glint of the SOFLAM and try to knock it out before a rain of undodgeable Javelins land on you. And even then hitting that damn SOFLAM from two miles away is hard enough without your rocket warning horn blaring in your ear. Each time I got in a tank I had at maximum about fifteen to twenty seconds to find that SOFLAM point and try to hit it before my tank looked like Sanford and Son's front yard.

But that is how the game goes... coordinated team tactics will wail on uncoordinated piecemeal assaults every day of the week. You can't blame the weapons, it's the tactics.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]

It would be awesome if we could get a squad of javelins to jump into a 64player server
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got the game earlier today and I hopped on the server but there were only about 3-4 people playing  I then proceeded to hop on another server and got completely owned for a couple hours.  Wow, this game moves way too fast.    My K/D ratio is about .5 right now, terrible...
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
They need to do something about this...

First off the flare is effective whether or not someone launches their missle.

Second I loose lock for no reason at all

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe that the IR smoke and the ecm jammers will trump the soflam.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DJ_Nex:
I believe that the IR smoke and the ecm jammers will trump the soflam.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Smoke and flares don't work as the SOFLAM is a line of sight laser designator, so long as it sees the target it maintains a lock. ECM Jamming, if it worked, would only slow down the lock time a bit and the helo would still get locked and flocked eventually.

To my knowledge the SOFLAM/Javelin combination can only be defeated by physically taking out the SOFLAM unit itself, killing or otherwise incapacitating the Javelin crew or just not using a vehicle. The only achilles heel of the SOFLAM is it's visible targeting laser, which can be seen from across the battlefield easily. Then it becomes a race against time... can you take out the SOFLAM before the Jav teams hit you?
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually kept losing lock on the amphibious LAV's. Everytime they popped smoke on kharg isle. And the smoke reloads pretty quick, so they were able to get to the beach and hide behind rocks without me getting a solid lock. I believe that the key is to drop counter snipers and use the MAV to destroy the soflams. Pretty easy actually. If that isn't an option, then, either a coordinated attack with two vehicles could take out the soflam or a sniper could just shoot it.  The soflam/javelin are like everything else in the game, you just gotta use the right tactics/tools to get the job done. Problem with a pub server is you have kdr whore and lone wolves that waste tickets.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
The SOFLAM kept losing lock with smoke? By my understanding that should not happen... on that Caspian level I tried popping smoke like a mug once in my tank and kept getting nailed. I tried everything, smoke, IR camo... just running for it... no matter what I tried I got hit every time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
I was on the other team for that round on Caspian Border when you guys were running the Javelin wall of death. Your defensive line was pretty much unbreakable... every armor or air vehicle that got even within a thousand feet of the checkpoint on the highway was lit up and blown to pieces in seconds. And with your snipers and very skilled players also watching the road and hills, jumping out and trying to approach on foot was murder as well. The only thing that could have turned the tide on that map would have been more people... had we had the ability to just flood the checkpoint Chinese human wave style with troops and armor we might have stood a fighting chance. But as it was with like ten on ten we had two options: die in a vehicle or die on foot. Plus you had the benefit of teamspeak coordination. My team was like herding cats... everyone running around higgledy piggledy trying their own thing to no avail. Even though I could listen in there was no way to determine where you all were in time to affect a decent attack.

I think the main complaint about the Javelin is that a Javelin locking onto an air or ground target via the SOFLAM or CITV is 100% unstoppable. It's laser designated so no countermeasures will spoof it. The only hope you have is to spot the telltale red glint of the SOFLAM and try to knock it out before a rain of undodgeable Javelins land on you. And even then hitting that damn SOFLAM from two miles away is hard enough without your rocket warning horn blaring in your ear. Each time I got in a tank I had at maximum about fifteen to twenty seconds to find that SOFLAM point and try to hit it before my tank looked like Sanford and Son's front yard.

But that is how the game goes... coordinated team tactics will wail on uncoordinated piecemeal assaults every day of the week. You can't blame the weapons, it's the tactics.

I have to say, that game was the most fun I've had thus far with BF3.  I've really missed playing with a group that actually works together,  I'll be on tonight if anyone is up.

Zen_Nemo
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The SOFLAM kept losing lock with smoke? By my understanding that should not happen... on that Caspian level I tried popping smoke like a mug once in my tank and kept getting nailed. I tried everything, smoke, IR camo... just running for it... no matter what I tried I got hit every time.

The IR smoke is supposed to break the SOFLAM's lock. I think IR camo is supposed to reduce the SOFLAM's range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, it didn't work for me on that Caspian map. Maybe I'm doing it wrong... do you have to stay in the smoke cloud for it to work? Every time I popped smoke I was on the move and would leave the cloud behind. If it was breaking the lock I never noticed, my rocket alarm was going off literally from the second I left the US Spawn point until that second or third Javelin went down my periscope. I saw the SOFLAM on the rocks near point D but no matter how many shells I lobbed at it I could never take it out... or where you guys running TWO of them?
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
WARNING.....

Guided Missle may flip vehicle...

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, it didn't work for me on that Caspian map. Maybe I'm doing it wrong... do you have to stay in the smoke cloud for it to work? Every time I popped smoke I was on the move and would leave the cloud behind. If it was breaking the lock I never noticed, my rocket alarm was going off literally from the second I left the US Spawn point until that second or third Javelin went down my periscope. I saw the SOFLAM on the rocks near point D but no matter how many shells I lobbed at it I could never take it out... or where you guys running TWO of them?

Yes, you have to stay in the cloud.

On a related note, that smoke is great for C4. Bad guy pops smoke, I take my time walking up, covering the thing with C4, drop an ammo crate, throw on more C4, have a beer, wander away, and blow it to hell.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By SniperKage:

On a related note, that smoke is great for C4. Bad guy pops smoke, I take my time walking up, covering the thing with C4, drop an ammo crate, throw on more C4, have a beer, wander away, wait till he's around more vehicles/foot soldiers and blow it to hell.

Fixed it fer ya.

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ciph:

Originally Posted By SniperKage:

On a related note, that smoke is great for C4. Bad guy pops smoke, I take my time walking up, covering the thing with C4, drop an ammo crate, throw on more C4, have a beer, wander away, wait till he's around more vehicles/foot soldiers and blow it to hell.

Fixed it fer ya.

If my giggling and saying RUN AWAY on TS isn't enough warning... ;)

And if you aren't on TS, it's your own damn fault I blow you halfway to the moon with high explosives. Everyone should know I try my damnedest to blow up armor every chance I get.

That said, now that I've gotten the support medal, I'm moving on to other classes. Probably assault for a while, to unlock more F2k stuff, then engineer to get the medal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]
So does karkland become available at midnight or do we have to wait til next morning?
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Why do people always drop an ammo crate when laying the C4?  I have seen that a couple times.  Does it make the explosion bigger?

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't started playing BF3 yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
You drop an ammo crate to get more c4, but sometimes its inadvertant bc the buttons are next to eachother.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PistolPutz:
Why do people always drop an ammo crate when laying the C4?  I have seen that a couple times.  Does it make the explosion bigger?

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't started playing BF3 yet.

It gives you more C4 to add to the pile!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#24]
The more I play this game with you guys in the hardcore server the more I realize how much of a mediocre player I am. I can keep up with you all and try to contribute but in clutch situations my index and middle fingers just won't hit the right keys... I wind up hitting the tilde, the windows key and anything and everything else other than the "3" key for the medkit. Or I'll be trying to lay down suppressing fire to support someone's advance and I'll inadvertently shoot at one of my own people. Thank god I can't aim in this game to save my life otherwise my teamkill numbers would be through the roof.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 9:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DJ_Nex] [#25]
Server has been updated! Strike at Karkland is here!

The current rotation features all four maps alternating between conquest and rush.  This will give us a chance to get a feel for the different maps and game modes.

I noticed that they also have a game mode called Conquest Assault? Not sure what that means.  Anywho, I have work all day today so if you need anything in regards to administration please see SniperKage, YT911, or Kaf1r.

See you on the Battlefield!

DJ

ETA: I did leave Caspian Border Conquest in the rotation as it is a general crowd pleaser.

ETA2: ****Admins, don't forget to update your Procon tool!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#26]
The more I play this game with you guys in the hardcore server the more I realize how much of a mediocre player I am. I can keep up with you all and try to contribute but in clutch situations my index and middle fingers just won't hit the right keys... I wind up hitting the tilde, the windows key and anything and everything else other than the "3" key for the medkit. Or I'll be trying to lay down suppressing fire to support someone's advance and I'll inadvertently shoot at one of my own people. Thank god I can't aim in this game to save my life otherwise my teamkill numbers would be through the roof.

You're thinking about it all wrong! Its not about your KDR or how well you perform by yourself! What matters is getting the "Your Team Won!" at the end of the round. Each round is like a story almost and like most good stories, the ending sucks but it was the journey you enjoyed.

Last night, we were getting our asses kicked, but at least we were working as a team. I also was able to take down a stolen UH-1 Huey with the SMAW! That was the highlight of the night for me!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#27]
That's the angle I'm trying to play to, but I always wonder if I'm doing more harm than good for the team/squad at times. Last night I accidentally shot like two people on my team, I fumbled the 3 key getting you that medkit and I threw a grenade trying to stop a MCOM capture and wound up hitting two of my own guys. It's reasons like those that I more or less try to keep my finger off the trigger these days and just follow you guys around and try to be ready with the med kits and paddles... when I can actually find the 3 and 4 keys. I'm kind of a fluke in the games on your server as when I'm on foot almost 80% of my score comes from revives, heals and flag caps. Shockingly that puts me in the middle to top of some of the rounds score wise. I'm the king of the 1 and 15 KD ratio but I'll have a 5000 point game.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Just takes practice.  Its not a night of BF3 if I don't tk at least a few guys on accident. Its ok to do it in the video game, just not in real life.

Although I did shoot friscokid out of the chopper when he was flying through the tunnel on purpose....SORRY FRISCOKID!

I couldn't pass up the opportunity....and when I went to steal the chopper Dinnertime promptly tk'd me back haha!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone else having issues signing into Origin?
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 12:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gary_P] [#30]
That's the angle I'm trying to play to, but I always wonder if I'm doing more harm than good for the team/squad at times. Last night I accidentally shot like two people on my team, I fumbled the 3 key getting you that medkit and I threw a grenade trying to stop a MCOM capture and wound up hitting two of my own guys. It's reasons like those that I more or less try to keep my finger off the trigger these days and just follow you guys around and try to be ready with the med kits and paddles... when I can actually find the 3 and 4 keys. I'm kind of a fluke in the games on your server as when I'm on foot almost 80% of my score comes from revives, heals and flag caps. Shockingly that puts me in the middle to top of some of the rounds score wise. I'm the king of the 1 and 15 KD ratio but I'll have a 5000 point game.

it is not about killing, it is not about dieing, it is about tactics and teamwork.

stats whores are just that.

I did laugh my ass off last night when sniper would turn a corner and yell OH SHIT a TANK.........

had a blast and My k/d is around .6 or so.

(Ground_lber)

Bitches
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I just want to feel like I'm helping and not dragging the team/squad down. Everyone in the teams and squads I play with seem to move with such purpose and I usually just follow behind them and try to follow their orders and support them as much as I can. I rarely venture out on my own anymore and if I do it's in a tank. I guess to a degree I feel like the lone enlisted man in a room full of colonels. I just want to be useful.

I like playing PC games but 99% of the PC games I play are single player. BF3 is really the first dedicated team based multiplayer game I've tried out. I just want to be sure that I'm not pissing everyone off by being little Jimmy tag-along with his "special" rifle and dukes of hazard lunch box of band-aids that he fumbles with the clasp on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: numberofthebeast] [#32]
Gaming pc is built up and runs BF3 on ultra just fine.

Only thing is, it's at my friends house right now and I won't be able to play until at least Thursday, and then I won't even have much free time until the 23rd.

I just want to be sure that I'm not pissing everyone off by being little
Jimmy tag-along with his "special" rifle and dukes of hazard lunch box
of band-aids that he fumbles with the clasp on.

Maybe find something in the game you really enjoy doing (like driving the tank) and then find a way to make it useful to the team. You'll get better at it with practice.

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#33]
*****Server Update*****

Just got an email that people were having connection issue "content not found" and they released a new server update to fix this.  So if you were having issues try again.  

*Note: They will be doing backend maintenance today around Noon PST check Battlelog news for the official times and updates.

As Always, See you on the Battlefield

DJ

PS: After this "month" is up for the server subscription we may expand to a 64 man server and set up a paypal donation system.  I want to hear the community's opinion on this.  I always take your opinions into account for the server, but remember your donation is help to keep it running. Server control will still be mandated by me and whoever I delegate work to.

Also, I will be looking to get one or two more admins up and running in order to help maintain order in the server and help me preserve my sanity.  Anyone with admin experience and is a regular on the server will be preferred.  Inquire via the TS3 server next time you see me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#34]
64 players...HELL YES
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd throw some money at it. Have to pay to play as they say.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I just want to feel like I'm helping and not dragging the team/squad down. Everyone in the teams and squads I play with seem to move with such purpose and I usually just follow behind them and try to follow their orders and support them as much as I can. I rarely venture out on my own anymore and if I do it's in a tank. I guess to a degree I feel like the lone enlisted man in a room full of colonels. I just want to be useful.

I like playing PC games but 99% of the PC games I play are single player. BF3 is really the first dedicated team based multiplayer game I've tried out. I just want to be sure that I'm not pissing everyone off by being little Jimmy tag-along with his "special" rifle and dukes of hazard lunch box of band-aids that he fumbles with the clasp on.

I'm happy to have you on my squad anytime ;-)
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I am on at odd times so I wouldn't mind helped as a "admin/mod" on the server to boot cheaters.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]
For the couple of you that posted about not being able to log into origin yes there is issues and most can not play at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Got a game going on NOW!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn, that map was almost over and I got disconnected from EA.....damnit

Zen_nemo

I'm off, see ya tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#41]
The more I think about it, 64 players would probably suck on a bunch of maps. I think maybe adding 10 slots to put it at 42 would probably work out pretty good, granted I don't know how much these things cost but I'm willing to throw in some cash to keep it going.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#42]
From the numbers I heard on teamspeak last night a 64 player server's monthly cost is ridiculous... or at least it sounded that way to me.

Still, I'd throw a jackson at the endeavor every now and then to help things along. Let us know when the paypal thing is up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#43]
So after doing some arfcom server pillaging the other night, I don't think that a 64 man server will best suit our interests regardless of our pocket books.  There is just a higher percentage of non-team oriented asshats that do nothing but tk for vehicles and sit on top of buildings sniping the entire time.

So I'm more inclined to say that perhaps a 40-48 man server seems more reasonable especially due to the sizing of the new maps. I think we should be ok.

In other Server news, I've removed the Conquest version of Wake island due to its being far to chaotic and frustrating to play on. However it is still on the server in the rush version, which I think is a much better fit on that map. Much less running as well.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#44]
the conquest assault or just the conquest version? the assault one sucks ass for the islanders.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#45]
So after doing some arfcom server pillaging the other night, I don't think that a 64 man server will best suit our interests regardless of our pocket books.  There is just a higher percentage of non-team oriented asshats that do nothing but tk for vehicles and sit on top of buildings sniping the entire time.

So I'm more inclined to say that perhaps a 40-48 man server seems more reasonable especially due to the sizing of the new maps. I think we should be ok.

In other Server news, I've removed the Conquest version of Wake island due to its being far to chaotic and frustrating to play on. However it is still on the server in the rush version, which I think is a much better fit on that map. Much less running as well.

I think conquest on any of the new maps requires more people, working together. I forget the other map we were playing last night but it seemed like 4 of us were constantly running between 3 points.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#46]

I think conquest on any of the new maps requires more people, working together. I forget the other map we were playing last night but it seemed like 4 of us were constantly running between 3 points.
Gulf of Oman, was brutal.  You 48 plus people for that one.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Did I interrupt a circle jerk or something?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:

Jealous?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Jealous?

Uh, no stroke away.... Having admin kick someone who killed you is....

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Jealous?

Uh, no stroke away.... Having admin kick someone who killed you is....

Was it not obvious we werent killing?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top