Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Rippetoe's 3x5 (Page 12 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chizzle] [#1]
This blows.  I went to the doctor just a minute ago, and like most doctors these days she spent all of 4 minutes in the room with me.  She prescribed me medicine to lower my blood pressure, it was 141/90.  This was of course when I first walked in there, and I always get mine tested twice, since I get nervous when I am going in there, but she still prescribed it to me.  I am not even going to fill it right now though.  Kinda depressing, but shit, I guess I will do some more research.

ETA:  Oh yeah, she asked me how I lifted(light or heavy, low or high reps), of course I told her heavy for low reps.  She told me to go lighter for high reps, I just kinda looked at her like she was crazy and told her I would try.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Chizzle:
This blows.  I went to the doctor just a minute ago, and like most doctors these days she spent all of 4 minutes in the room with me.  She prescribed me medicine to lower my blood pressure, it was 141/90.  This was of course when I first walked in there, and I always get mine tested twice, since I get nervous when I am going in there, but she still prescribed it to me.  I am not even going to fill it right now though.  Kinda depressing, but shit, I guess I will do some more research.

ETA:  Oh yeah, she asked me how I lifted(light or heavy, low or high reps), of course I told her heavy for low reps.  She told me to go lighter for high reps, I just kinda looked at her like she was crazy and told her I would try.

A doctor is probably the last person I would take work out advice from
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:42:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chizzle] [#4]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

A doctor is probably the last person I would take work out advice from

I know, especially if you saw this lady.  Kinda like my girlfriend's fat sister giving me advice on cardio one day.

I just don't know what to do.  However, I am reading a lot of stuff on other boards and all over the internet about this problem, and may have to take some time off, I am going to implement what some of them say on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
She prescribed me medicine to lower my blood pressure, it was 141/90.  This was of course when I first walked in there, and I always get mine tested twice, since I get nervous when I am going in there, but she still prescribed it to me.  I am not even going to fill it right now though.  Kinda depressing, but shit, I guess I will do some more research.

I am always suspicious of doctors and the pharma-crap they prescribe.  The human body is pretty resilient and will generally take care of itself if not abused.  Anyway, I don't think 140/90 is that big a deal, and like you said, some of that could be due to being nervous.  Lots of people test higher because of nervousness when they are visiting the local witch doctor/medicine man.

How long have you been doing SS?  It could be just built up fatigue from doing a hard program such as SS.  I've been at for 7 months (without missing a workout), but I feel like it is really kicking my ass right now.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 9:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chizzle] [#6]
Originally Posted By Texas_Sig:

How long have you been doing SS?  It could be just built up fatigue from doing a hard program such as SS.  I've been at for 7 months (without missing a workout), but I feel like it is really kicking my ass right now.  

I've been doing SS for just over 4 months, started on September 9th and have only missed one complete workout.  I feel burnt out right now, last week was exam week, and I busted my ass on them, so that might be taking a toll.  

I think I am going to take some time off for a 1-1.5 week.  Would rather take just a week off, but my gym is going to be closed for a few days around Christmas, so maybe I need to take a break also.  Been doing some research into extertion headaches, and that seems to help them out.  I will then get back on SS for a little while, starting at lower weights and working back up. In the mean time, I might try a little cardio, just to see how that makes me feel.

My progress so far-left # is the starting number, right # is the number of my last successful workout(last week sometime).

Squat
165-305

Bench
155-220

Deadlift
215-375

OH Press
105-155

I like the progress I have achieved on this program, and if anyone tells you it is easy, they are full of shit.  I might could have gotten even better numbers, but being a former fat boy, I still have problems eating lots of good food.  I just reset the squat back to 275, but haven't been able to get in a good workout due to these headaches.  I have re-set the OH presses once, and the bench once, and the squat once before this one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Tonight was an "A" night and I got a new PR on my squats.  Deadlifts went well (still in reset).

I've switched to the Texas Method on my presses, so tonight was a light benchpress workout.  Easy.

Other than that, I've been feeling really tired lately.  I think I need to eat more.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Texas_Sig] [#8]
Squat
165-305

Bench
155-220

Deadlift
215-375

OH Press
105-155

I like the progress I have achieved on this program, and if anyone tells you it is easy, they are full of shit.  

That is excellent progress.  And you're right, it is a very hard program.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I lied.  I couldn't stay away from the gym yesterday.  The only thing I did was do my warm up sets on squats, then one of what would have been my work set.  I followed what is said in  Practical Programming about backing off for novices.  Tomorrow I am going to try to get through my work set, depending on if I get a headache.  I really want to pull tomorrow, but not sure.

Where I hurt my chest the other day still hurts.  The pain is so intense when it starts hurting that I cannot really follow the directions on strength mill forums, and I am not really sure if it is a muscle belly tear or what it is.  I may try the bench out tomorrow just to see if I can get the pain to "blur" like described.  Until it gets fully healed I can still do dips fine, so I may have to start doing them for my chest until I can go to the doctor on campus once school starts back up.

Just found out also that there is a powerlifting federation back home, and there is a meet on April 4th.  I'm thinking about attending it, and competing in it.  It is an all-natural meet, with not even wraps or belts allowed.  We will see though, this is starting to interest me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Another "A" workout today, and I hit a new PR on my squats.  Deadlifts are still in reset, but progressing.  I need to start using chalk since my overhand grip starts to break down.

Today was the first day I did 5X5 on my bench press (Texas Method), and my arms are fried.  I was only able to do one set of dips afterwards.  Hopefully I should be recovered by Thursday so I can do a 1 X 3 at a new PR.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, gentlemen.  I notice you've been working with Rippetoe's schedule for a while now, and making some significant gains.  I've been working out using the CrossFit WODs for about a year now, but am thinking of switching over to Rippetoe's SS program and supplementing CrossFit metcons to maintain a decent metcon base while improving my overall strength (which is certainly lacking).  Do any of you have any experience in trying to "blend" these two ideas?  I know Rippetoe mentions not trying to do too much cardio (or any at all for that matter...) while doing his program, but I hate to give up the metcon gains I've made since starting CrossFit.  There's just too much pain associated with those gains!

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By glockfreak:
Hey, gentlemen.  I notice you've been working with Rippetoe's schedule for a while now, and making some significant gains.  I've been working out using the CrossFit WODs for about a year now, but am thinking of switching over to Rippetoe's SS program and supplementing CrossFit metcons to maintain a decent metcon base while improving my overall strength (which is certainly lacking).  Do any of you have any experience in trying to "blend" these two ideas?  I know Rippetoe mentions not trying to do too much cardio (or any at all for that matter...) while doing his program, but I hate to give up the metcon gains I've made since starting CrossFit.  There's just too much pain associated with those gains!

I haven't tried to do both, but I doubt I that could do both at the same time and still make decent gains in either.  After you have been doing SS for a while, it is plenty hard just to recover and make progress without adding a bunch of other stuff to the workout.

Getting enough rest for recovery is critical to progress in a strength program like SS.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By glockfreak:http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]

Here's a thread over at strengthmill.com that may help.  

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1381&highlight=hybrid+metcon

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.  Your experience and insights/other references are much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:17:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Texas_Sig] [#16]
Tonight was an "A" night, and I hit a new PR on my squats.  My deadlifts are still in reset.  I have been struggling with them, but I think once I get some chalk, that will fix things.

I also hit a new PR on my bench press.  I'm doing the Texas Method, so it was a 1X3 set.  I could have done heavier, but I don't want to screw things up by getting too greedy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, took a week off and came back today for an "A" day.  This was the best feeling workout I have done in a couple of weeks.  My arm/shoulder/chest area does not hurt anymore, so I was able to bench today.  Needless to say, I reset all of my lifts today.  My headaches came back, but only on rep 18 or 19 of a 20 rep set of squats.  I decided to do 20 rep squats today just because I wanted a challenge, and it was.  Also because it felt like it had been a long time since  I was able to get into a good groove on squats without headaches, and Wednesday I will probably move up to where I left off on my reset.

The more I squat in these Do-Win Rogues, the more I like them.  I highly recommend them or any other squatting shoe for anyone who squats a lot.  I even deadlift in mine, although most people don't.
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Last night was an "A" night.  I only did warmup sets on my squats because my lower back was sore.  That is the first squat workout I've missed in 6 months, and I feel like a pussy for missing it.  

Presses were 5X5 per the Texas Method.  I am really looking forward to getting back on track with my squats tomorrow.

Also, I've decided to keep my body weight stable for a while.  I've put on 60 pounds since I started lifting this summer and I want to burn off some of that fat while continuing to get stronger.  We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Today was a "B" day.  New PR on squats and rows.  I OH pressed 135 (1X3) for the first time on the Texas Method.  

I figured I would post an end-of-year summary for my progress on SS after 7 months.  Here are my results for 3X5, except for deadlifts which are 1X5

Height: 6'
Weight: 165 ––> 220

Bench: 135 ––> 196  
OH Press: 85 ––> 128  
Squat:  100 ––> 235
Deadlift: 150 ––> 297  
Rows: 115 ––> 155

Waist size: 32" ––> 36"
Chest: 35" ––> 43"
Biceps: 11" ––> 12"

My thighs are much bigger too, but I didn't do a "before" measurement on those.

Chinups and pullups ended the year at 5-6, down from a peak of 12 or so.  The reason for the regression is my weight gain over the last few months.

I had 2 resets on both my OH presses and bench presses.  After stalling again a month after the last resets, I decided to switch over to the Texas Method.

I had 1 reset on the squat and 2 on the deadlift, so I am going to stick with SS on these lifts.

You can count me as a very satisfied customer on the SS routine.  I just wish I had started earlier.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Today was a "B" day.  New PR on squats and rows.  I OH pressed 135 (1X3) for the first time on the Texas Method.  

I figured I would post an end-of-year summary for my progress on SS after 7 months.  Here are my results for 3X5, except for deadlifts which are 1X5

Chinups and pullups ended the year at 5-6, down from a peak of 12 or so.  The reason for the regression is my weight gain over the last few months.

I had 2 resets on both my OH presses and bench presses.  After stalling again a month after the last resets, I decided to switch over to the Texas Method.

I had 1 reset on the squat and 2 on the deadlift, so I am going to stick with SS on these lifts.

You can count me as a very satisfied customer on the SS routine.  I just wish I had started earlier.

That's really good for only 7 months. What is the Texas Method?
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Awesome job man.  Good progression, and I am sure that everyone is noticing your body changing.  My waist increased almost 2 inches while doing this program, but my body fat level stayed nearly the same, increasing only slightly.  My ass seems to have gotten huge("squatters ass").  

Overall, I am satisfied with my gains from this program.  I may have moved up too fast in progression, but not sure.  The only thing I think holding me back from getting even better gains is a roadblock in my brain telling me not to gain too much weight, as at one time I was at 260lbs of a lot of fat.  I started this program at 192lbs, and finished up around 215-220.  

Wednesday was my first day on Westside for Skinny Bastards III, and am just getting my numbers correct before I start trying to hit PRs again.  I am doing the washed up meathead template, because it fits into what I do with work and school and my schedule.
-Chad
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By wvar15:

That's really good for only 7 months. What is the Texas Method?

It is an intermediate program, whereas Starting Strength was a beginner program.  In a beginner program, the gains come easier, and can be made from workout-to-workout.  After the easy gains have been made, an intermediate program, where progress is measured week-to-week, is necessary.

Programatically, it works like this:

Monday: volume set.  5 sets of 5 at about 95% of your 5 rep max
Wednesday: light set: 2 sets of 5 at 85% of your 5 rep max
Friday: heavy set: 1 set of 3 at a new personal record.

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Chizzle:Overall, I am satisfied with my gains from this program.  I may have moved up too fast in progression, but not sure.  The only thing I think holding me back from getting even better gains is a roadblock in my brain telling me not to gain too much weight, as at one time I was at 260lbs of a lot of fat.  I started this program at 192lbs, and finished up around 215-220.  

-Chad

How do your lifts progress/regress as you went from 260 to 220?

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Chizzle:Overall, I am satisfied with my gains from this program.  I may have moved up too fast in progression, but not sure.  The only thing I think holding me back from getting even better gains is a roadblock in my brain telling me not to gain too much weight, as at one time I was at 260lbs of a lot of fat.  I started this program at 192lbs, and finished up around 215-220.  

-Chad

How do your lifts progress/regress as you went from 260 to 220?

I wasn't lifting at that time.  I was very fat, had let myself go since I got out of high school.  Too much drinking and bad food choices in college had me super fat.  I did a lot of cardio, and was doing some lifts, but only isolation exercises.  I kept reading on here about SS, and bought the book, and one day just decided to do it.  I was down to 192 at that time, no idea what my body fat percentage was.  I had it checked when I was 210(this was while I was losing weight to get to 192), and my body fat was 25%.  I am now around 15% or so, and feel pretty darn good.

I really wish I had listened and started this program earlier.  Shoot, I wish I had started this program while I was in high school, growing up on a farm I was pretty strong, but lost it once I came to college and quit doing manual labor.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Tonight was an "A" night.  Squats went well for a change, and I hit a new PR.  I think working in the yard today actually helped loosen some muscles and increase blood flow before I worked out.  My lower back wasn't as tight as it usually is.

Bench press was good at 5X5 on the Texas Method.

Deadlifts were awesome for a change.  I picked up some chalk the other day, and what a difference it made.  There was no slippage, even using a double overhand grip.  I only have one more DL "reset" session to go, and then it is on to hitting new PRs (finally).  Now that my grip problems have been fixed, I am eager to start pulling more weight.

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Texas_sig,

How is the Texas method working out for you?  I may try it this fall, right now I am really liking WS4SB.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Hello, all,
I started this workout about two weeks ago (after reading this whole thread twice - whew!).

I really wanted to get medieval on everyone's asses as a result, but since I was too sore to even crawl as fast as a snail, I gave up on that idea.  Now, the initial "start up costs" are gone, and I'm in a steady routine.  

So far, it seems pretty good.  Always before, when I was in a serious regimen, I was working every little muscle, and it was taking hours a day, and giving marginal results.  I like the idea of working the body more fully, ie, multiple muscles at a time, plus, this workout doesn't kill 2+ hours.

Thanks for all of the information in the thread!
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Texas_sig,

How is the Texas method working out for you?  I may try it this fall, right now I am really liking WS4SB.

I like it.  I haven't been on it long enough to guage its success and I haven't been feeling well, so I haven't been lifting in the last week.  I plan to start again tomorrow.

Anyway, I think the Texas Method is easier than SS because there is only 1 "hard" day (the 5X5 day) per week.  On SS, all three days are hard.  But it is necessary because there comes a point where 3X5 3 times a week is either not enough stress to cause growth, or not enough recovery time.  

I am really looking forward to when I can start the Texas Method on my squats, but it's going to be awhile.  I'm not going to cheat myself by jumping off SS on my squats early, just because it is hard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
My numbers so far

Squat 180 ––> 305
Bench 130 ––> 180
Deads 160 ––> 260
Mil Press 80 ––> 120
Upright Rows 90 ––> 130
Weight: 160 ––> 190
5 Months
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Favre44:
My numbers so far

Squat 180 ––> 305
Bench 130 ––> 180
Deads 160 ––> 260
Mil Press 80 ––> 120
Upright Rows 90 ––> 130
5 Months

Awesome job.  Looks like your deadlift numbers could go up some more, but other than that everything looks good.  Grip always was and still is my limiting factor in DLs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#31]
My numbers so far

Squat 180 ––> 305
Bench 130 ––> 180
Deads 160 ––> 260
Mil Press 80 ––> 120
Upright Rows 90 ––> 130
5 Months

Good job, but either your squats seem high or your deadlifts low.

Are you going at least to parallel on your squats?  

How often are you deadlifting (SS calls for 1X5, not 3X5)?  Are you using chalk?  That helped my grip tremendously, which was my weak spot, when I got stuck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 9:38:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Favre44] [#32]
My numbers so far

Squat 180 ––> 305
Bench 130 ––> 180
Deads 160 ––> 260
Mil Press 80 ––> 120
Upright Rows 90 ––> 130
5 Months

Good job, but either your squats seem high or your deadlifts low.

Are you going at least to parallel on your squats?  

How often are you deadlifting (SS calls for 1X5, not 3X5)?  Are you using chalk?  That helped my grip tremendously, which was my weak spot, when I got stuck.

Yeah I go to parallel on my squats, my form is good on squats. On my Deadlifts, My grip is my biggest limiter, right now at 270 today I managed to do my first set, second set, and on my third set my hands just couldnt hold the bar anymore. My legs were pullin the weight but my hands couldnt hold the bar. Another thing, I feel like like at 6'3" I have to get really low to pull the bar, and Its hard to pull the bar up without dragging it on my shins. Inevitably they bleed and that sucks. Advice?

I dont use chalk...Does that help alot? The gym i go to there's never like chalk on anything, never even seen chalk in there before.

Is that what people use straps for?
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 9:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chizzle] [#33]
That's exactly what people use straps for.  Some places allow chalk, ask them if they mind you bringing some in in a plastic bag and try not to make a mess with it.  I personally use liquid chalk I bought from elitefts, but I think that regular chalk is better, just my gym doesn't allow it.

ETA:  I drag the bar up my shins also, and sometimes they bleed a little.  The only thing you can do is wear pants or long socks or learn to control the bar from banging into the shins as bad-this has helped me the most.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#34]
That's exactly what people use straps for.  Some places allow chalk, ask them if they mind you bringing some in in a plastic bag and try not to make a mess with it.  I personally use liquid chalk I bought from elitefts, but I think that regular chalk is better, just my gym doesn't allow it.

ETA:  I drag the bar up my shins also, and sometimes they bleed a little.  The only thing you can do is wear pants or long socks or learn to control the bar from banging into the shins as bad-this has helped me the most.

Im gonna get some liquid chalk, does it work close to as good? and does it leave like stickiness on your hands or anything?
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Im gonna get some liquid chalk, does it work close to as good? and does it leave like stickiness on your hands or anything?

Slight stickiness on hands, and it works pretty good, I can tell a difference if I do not use it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#36]
At 6'8", I know exactly what you mean about the bar being a long ways down there.  To prevent skin removal from your shins, try putting a single layer of athletic tap on the bar where it would contact your shins.  This has worked well for me.

As for grip––have you tried a reverse grip (one hand facing back, the other facing forward)?  Just a suggestion.

Link Posted: 2/4/2009 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By glockfreak:
At 6'8", I know exactly what you mean about the bar being a long ways down there.  To prevent skin removal from your shins, try putting a single layer of athletic tap on the bar where it would contact your shins.  This has worked well for me.

As for grip––have you tried a reverse grip (one hand facing back, the other facing forward)?  Just a suggestion.

Good idea with the Athletic tape.

Yeah my left is Underhand and my right is Overhand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I dont use chalk...Does that help alot? The gym i go to there's never like chalk on anything, never even seen chalk in there before.

Yes, chalk helps a lot.  Around 290 pounds or so, my grip starting slipping on my deadlifts.  I tried using chalk and it fixed the problem.  Eventually you may need to use a supinated grip or straps, but I think you should try to get as strong as you can with the double overhand grip before changing things.

If your gym doesn't like chalk, try sneaking it in inside your gym bag.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#39]
After having a rough January (sick and lost 20 pounds), I have been back on SS for the last 2 weeks.  I lost a lot of muscle, but I will get it back eventually.  I reset all of my lifts by 15-20% and am slowly working my way back up.

I still need to lose a little weight, and I am doing so at a rate of 1 pound per week.  I know it is hard to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, so I am interested to see how far I get while slowly losing weight.  I would like to at least get back to my December PRs within the next 2 months.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Today was a "B" day.  No new PRs, not even close.  I am still working my way back to where I was.  At least I've had a good run for a couple of weeks where I have been steadily adding weight to my lifts.

Another week another, another lost pound of bodyweight.  I figure at some point, my pound-per-week weight loss will bring my progressive weight loading to an ass-grinding halt.  Until then, I am going to keep adding weight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#41]
bump to prevent being archived.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Texas_Sig] [#42]
I'm still on SS.  Since my last update, I have lost 5 pounds in bodyweight, and it has been a real struggle to keep making progress until I started eating at a caloric surplus in April.  I've been making good gains since then.  

I have also added power cleans to my routine.  I am eager to switch over to an intermediate program (Texas Method), but will not cheat myself by bailing out of SS before I have milked all the gains I can get out of it.  I figure I have at least a couple of months worth of progress left.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#44]
After lurking here for a while reading I picked up a copy of Starting Strength. I read it through twice and have decided to give it a go. I have never done any sort of weight training before.

Today was day 1(workout A).
Squats: 135
Bench:  115
Deadlift: 185

I feel that I lifted too heavy in my warm up sets and that hurt my work sets on the squats. My bench seriously needs some help, I also didn't have a spotter so I was afraid to push it to hard. I am however quite happy with my numbers on deadlift.

Link Posted: 5/20/2009 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 10:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TripleJ] [#46]
Good.

Tomorrow may be a different story.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#47]
OK. I attempted to start a weight lifting routine and came down with the flu before I could finish week 1. After a week of recovery I am back in the gym trying to get started.

I will be doing Sat, Mon, Wed.

Today was workout "A"(again).

Squat: 155#
Bench: 135#
DL: 195#

I was able to add some weight from my previous attempt. I will be back on Monday for workout "B".
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Well. I made it into the gym for workout "B", week 1 of Starting Strength. It really lets me know how weak I am, but hey you got to start somewhere.

Squat: 165 3x5
Press: 75 3x5
Rows: 95 3x5

I'll be back on Wed for workout "A". hopefully with some improvement.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TripleJ] [#49]
Made it to the gym today for the completion of my first full week of SS.

Today was workout "A"

Squat: 175 3x5
Bench 140 3x5/5/4
DL: 200 1x5

I was able to add 10lbs to my squat and 5lbs to Dead lift.

On the bench I got a little over zealous. I think next week I will try 135 again next week and work up from there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 13
Rippetoe's 3x5 (Page 12 of 13)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top