BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 3:30:15 AM EDT
Title says it all...anyone?

I haven't yet, but was looking for a little insight/advice
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's their official website that has dates for upcoming events, and their rules:  NAGA website

Never competed in NAGA, but I train with guys that have.  What type of info are you interested in, preparation, etc, or how the events actually run?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I've checked out their website

Basically I'm just wondering if it's worth my time and money to go and compete in their Novice division (less than 6 mos. experience) or if I really need more in depth training before I even bother.
There's only one way to find out is the answer I can see coming I guess...I was just wondering if anyone had any newbie experiences to share and make me less gun shy about going into it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
How often are you training, and how do you match up against the guys you train with?  There's guys that train for 6 months that pick it up really fast that are definitely ready, and there's guys that it takes a little longer.  If you're comfortable on the mats, I say go for it, the worst thing that can happen is that you lose a match, which really isn't that big of a deal.  You learn more sometimes after a defeat than a victory.

I fight in the IKF in Muay Thai, I lost my last fight, and I learned more from that than winning.  I learned areas I was weak in, and needed to improve in.  I'm better for it.

It depends on your long term goals, if you want to pursue grappling or MMA, then I would recommend getting all the experience you can.  Compete, watch fights, watch guys with more experience roll and take mental notes.

Things I learned from my wrestling days, and from fighting in the IKF that might help:

1.  You'll have to get used to being in front of a crowd, and not let it psych you out.  I learned that during 'away' wrestling meets, and fighting guys in their home town.  You'll hear the other guy's trainer/coach yelling at him, which in some ways, can make you more aware of what they're going to be going for and look out for it.  Just don't pay so much attention that it gets in your head and makes you defensive.  You'll probably also hear his buddys yelling at him to beat your ass, etc, don't let it affect you.  Focus on what YOU'RE there to do, and don't let them distract you.  Beat the guy and shut 'em up LOL.  You will be nervous, that's normal, so's the other guy.  Just don't let it control you.

2.  Go in with a clear strategy.  Make your opponent play YOUR game, not his.  Don't get drawn into their game.  If you're great at takedowns, shoot in on the sucker every chance you get and rack up the points, or go for the sub when you get him down.  If you hit the mat and the guy seems slick and you're worried about getting caught, just remember your fundamentals, keep your base and position, and just be cautious.  If you can tell he's got an edge in one area, don't go there.  If you sense he's got a weakness in an area, attack it with everything you've got.  

3.  Train, train, train.  This should probably be #1.  If you decide to compete, start treating all your training sessions as preparation for your competition.  Roll with the best guys you can.  Yes, it sucks getting tapped out a lot, but you'll learn more than beating guys who aren't as good as you.  Talk to any guys you train with who have competed.  I was very lucky to have a more experienced fighter kind of mentor me when I started.  If you train with a big group, sometimes it's hard to get individual time with your instructor, so if you can find a guy with more experience that's willing to work with you, mentor you, that's a really valuable thing.

4.  Give 100% in your matches.   There's guys that might be better natural athletes, etc, but you can beat them if you have more heart and determination.   The mental part of competition is just as important (if not more) than the physical part.  If you can frustrate an opponent mentally, throw him off his game, you're on the way to winning.  If you don't give 100%, hold back, and lose, you'll regret it, trust me.  

5.  Don't get discouraged if you lose.  Everyone does.  I've lost in wrestling and in Muay Thai.  Accept the losses and learn from them.  Figure out why you lost, and work to improve that area, and give 'em hell next time.

Hope some of this helps.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks man, that definitely sounds like some good advice.

I think I'll definitely just go for it, because like y myou said the worst thing that can happen is I can lose, and I've lost before in training so at worst it'll just be some more experience, which is good.

I'm pretty confident about it at this point. I'm best on the defensive and with so little experience I'm sure I'll be right at home there.

We'll see how it goes, thanks for the good advice man

Any more 'organizational' (read: not people just wanting to talk about street fights and bar brawls) fighters have any good advice?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Good Luck, I hope you'll go for it.  Like you said, if you've lost in training, just think of the tournament at training.  It's just another day on the mats.  I don't mean to get TOO relaxed, but just don't let the event overwhelm you.  I remember back in the day, sometimes I would be really well prepared "ok, I'm going to....' then forget everything as soon as the bell rang LOL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Bro, you should absolutely go for it. There is a class for new guys after all. it is great fun, and the people that you meet are very cool. You'll make some great friends, and learn a lot of lesson. Hell! Ya just might win!!!

I've competed in NAGA, and can say that they are a first class organization. I was involved in them when NAGA first started up. And strangely enough, I 've been thinking about doing some more NAGA. But I'll be in the damn masters division....

NAGA is a great step off point to start considering the Pan Am games, and even trying some events in Brazil. Now that is FUN!!!!!  I'd highly recommend that. It is more fun to compete in Brazil, and the same thing applies. Friends, fun, and education.

Go for it!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top