Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 4:01:20 AM EDT
I recently read an account of an experienced Kung Fu practioner's experience with a local teacher.  He stated that the instructors forms were very different from the norm for that particular style but that his techniques and the principles he used were correct.

So, if a person has good techniques and principles but his forms are different from the norm is that good Kung Fu?  

Would you consider going to such a person for instruction?

Please don't turn this into a CMA bashing thread.  I'm looking for constructive advice from people who practice and appreciate CMA.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, I would think that if the instructor is truly qualified to teach, the answer is yes - it is worthwhile.  Yes, I would consider going to that instructor.  I also believe that someone proficient in Kung-Fu will be very able to defend themselves.  

Blake
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it would be fine to learn from this instructor. Most schools of the "same" style will have differences because of the different instructors and the instructor's instructors, and so on. I think any good martial artist will change what was taught to him or her a bit to fit their personal style. Of course this is only good once the student is proficient enough to make such changes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Further information has indicated to me that this instructor is one I had best avoid.  On the other hand, I think I made the right connection and have discovered there is a fairly active Internal CMA community here with Yang Tai Chi, Hsing I, and Bagua being taught by some very skilled people.  

Thanks for the comments.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, why CMA?  Have you considered something like Muay Thai, Isshinryu, BJJ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, why CMA?  Have you considered something like Muay Thai, Isshinryu, BJJ?

I chose CMA because of a strong interest in Chinese swords and the whole buddhist/daoist/confucianist martial tradition.  

I'm not looking to take up an art to learn immediate fighting skills but rather for the sake of the art itself and overall personal development.  

If I were wanting to learn quick and practical fighting skills my first choices would be the arts you mentioned.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Very wise, there is much to be learned through CMA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top