Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 6:16:33 PM EDT
This has happened to me twice now when doing squats. I do them to the point where I can't do any more, then I suddenly feel so run down and shity that I throw up.

Any way to keep that from happening but still be able to work yourself out to failure?

Maybe I'm drinking too much water before hand. Any ideas?

I'm pretty out of shape too, so maybe that's it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Not unusual doing squats. We'd pop the top off the cans and have them near the rack when doing heavy. Ive tossed countless times. Means your doing them right It gets better the more you do. If you do some more lighter weight warmup it helps. Best overall growth exercise there is. On the water, I dont drink water during workouts unless they are prolonged sweaters from cardio. A carb drink 45 minutes before heavy training can help.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Doing legs will get you throwing up sometimes. I think it's a fact of life when working such a big muscle group. I don't think your problem is water. You need to drink plenty of water. Water helps you to fully contract muscles. Try working out dehydrated and you will run out of juice earlier and not get as much weight up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't drink a lot right before, but stay continuously hydrated.

Rule of thumb: if you're not pissing poland spring, you should be sipping water.

Too easy to forget.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're not pissing white, you're not drinking right.

I'm pretty out of shape too, so maybe that's it.

That's probably the major contributing factor. As you become more conditioned, the nausea will attenuate. I've never had that particular problem (even doing 20 rep sets), but a few workout partners who were very conditioned to squatting (more so than me) have had some nausea while squatting a 20 rep set.

I would guess it's mostly a question of personal physiology.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
haha i thought only i did this.
ONly did it once then i kind of just keep it forced down.  My home gym is in my basement so after doing squats and lunges i have to crawl up the stairs because i can barely walk.

Its a great feeling though : )
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
You're overdoing it!!!!  Keep doing that and pretty soon you won't be doing any!!

Cut back a little.  You won't make huge gains over night but will quickly.  DON'T overdo it!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If you puke after doing squats or deadlifts, you know you've worked things pretty hard.  It's the cost of doing business as long as you're working out at home.  In the gym, I could see why you wouldn't want to.

I get a bad case of the yawns whenever I do heavy squats and leg presses.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with blood pressure, because the same thing happens when I get into my jacuzzi.  Who knows, it hasn't killed me yet though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't drink a lot right before, but stay continuously hydrated.

Rule of thumb: if you're not pissing poland spring, you should be sipping water.

Too easy to forget.

Gospel!

Don't sweat it! You're not "overdoing" if you blow chunks after doing squats. Remember that squats work your entire body, and it trashes your nervous system. So after working extremely hard, and having every muscle in your body tighten up, it is not a stretch for your stomach to tighten and toss...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
You don't need to workout to failure.  You can do a solid workout and still feel fresh and ready to go.  Working out to failure is only teaching your body to fail.  Stop killing yourself.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You don't need to workout to failure.  You can do a solid workout and still feel fresh and ready to go.  Working out to failure is only teaching your body to fail.  Stop killing yourself.

I have to respectfully disagree TG. Working towards failure is an overload technique that forces the body to compensate for added weight. It is but one method of strength training, specifically used to shock the body out of a rut, and to progessively add strength and size.

Another method is to use a method that does not go to failure but rather stops when the ability to lift with strict form is no longer possible. This develops strength along a more "natural" strength curve, and it also conditions not only the muscle cross section, but the central nervous system as well.

The two methods work well when interchanged. Lifting towards failure can assist in building explosive strength. So it is necessary for someone really interested in strength training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top