Site Notices
Triathlon guys (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GSPatton:
I have competed in exactly one Triathlon.  I am a tremendous swimmer, (for real) a mediocre biker and not that great of a runner (5:30 fastest mile).  I did not even place in the top two thirds.  Ya gotta run and bike like a mad man.
View Quote

Starting as a strong swimmer is half the work. That’s easily most people’s weakest discipline. If you’re a legit 5:30/mi guy you can be a monster on the bike. Even if you can only run ONE mile at 5:30 - that’s hauling!!!

I’m a 7 - 8:00 minute marathon pace and haven’t run a 5:30 in a couple years.

A little training could have you winning sprint age groups in no time.

2:00/100y (weakest discipline)
18mph
7:00/mi

With blistering transitions usually has me top 25% of all finishers for quarter distance or less.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:

Starting as a strong swimmer is half the work. That’s easily most people’s weakest discipline. If you’re a legit 5:30/mi guy you can be a monster on the bike. Even if you can only run ONE mile at 5:30 - that’s hauling!!!

18mph

With blistering transitions usually has me top 25% of all finishers for quarter distance or less.
View Quote

At what age group are you in?

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]

18mph

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I have competed in exactly one Triathlon.  I am a tremendous swimmer, (for real) a mediocre biker and not that great of a runner (5:30 fastest mile).  I did not even place in the top two thirds.  Ya gotta run and bike like a mad man.

18mph

No shit, a 5:30 mile is fast.  I think my fastest mile was 6:10-6:15 20y ago in the Army.  

I did my longest swim again yesterday, 1200m.  It sucks.  I hate it.  I do it to punish myself for being a dumbass.  I cuss myself out the entire time I swim.

I like the bike, and love the run.  But I’m slow.  I don’t need to be fast to make this enjoyable and to show my 7y old son that you can achieve incredible things through hard work and diligence.

I am keeping my running miles down because I don’t want an injury.  I had a strength session today and ran 1mi to warm up, then did the free weights.  I was going to run 1mi to cool down but started daydreaming and 2.5mi later I stopped.  Slow as fuck, but really find it cathartic.  

70.3 next October assuming I don’t drown between now and then.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By anono:

View All Quotes

18mph

The most competitive group, male 40-44
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Take baby steps in open water. Swimming a 400m out and back is humbling. Definitely start with kayak support or find an open water swim club. Ours meets on Wednesdays at lake Belton
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
At the time I was 22, I was in the Navy.  I'm pretty sure another Navy guy won it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
At the time I was 22, I was in the Navy.  I'm pretty sure another Navy guy won it.
View Quote

Ah. Seamen are good swimmers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
From the wife: definitely tell him to check out TriDot. $20/mo will plan his workouts, provide race predictor, adjust training based on load and completion frequency, talk to trainers, group forums, nutrition guides, etc.

You can spend up to $400/mo but not necessary.

The app has a learning curve, but it works and costs less than training peaks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:00:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dyezak] [#9]
Take baby steps in open water. Swimming a 400m out and back is humbling. Definitely start with kayak support or find an open water swim club. Ours meets on Wednesdays at lake Belton
View Quote

The Dallas Tri-Club swims on Saturdays in open water.  

Once I figure out how to breathe and swim I'll start joining them.  Right now I'm sticking to the pool.

ETA:  The good news is the first open water event I have is in a lake next to a friend's house in Austin.  I'll probably head down there once or twice between now and the event to swim that lake prior to the event.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Ah. Seamen are good swimmers.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#11]
From the wife: definitely tell him to check out TriDot. $20/mo will plan his workouts, provide race predictor, adjust training based on load and completion frequency, talk to trainers, group forums, nutrition guides, etc.

You can spend up to $400/mo but not necessary.

The app has a learning curve, but it works and costs less than training peaks.
View Quote

I looked at training peaks.  It seems OK but I wasn't wowed.  I'm checkng out MOTTIV as well.  Again, not wowed.

I'll check out TriDot next.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife: "I'm a badass triathlete!"

Also her: "My heart rate monitor is so cold!"
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 6:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#13]

View Quote

I have no idea where you live, but in any area with a decently fit community or a major metro area, those times don't seem anywhere close to top 1/4 of people. Maybe middle of pack at best. I guess maybe if its the Pig Knuckle, Ar sprint maybe, but otherwise, no way.

I feel like we're living in different universes. Are you doing courses with hilly runs, hilly cycle, and open water in the freezing cold or something?

Edit: I saw you were in Texas, so I just looked up a random race. Turns out I'm not crazy at all: Race results for somewhere in TX
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

I looked at training peaks.  It seems OK but I wasn't wowed.  I'm checkng out MOTTIV as well.  Again, not wowed.

I'll check out TriDot next.
View Quote

No go on TriDot.  Training Peaks is probably where I'll end up.  More expensive but offers more.  

MOTTIV is far easier than Training Peaks, but less flexible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hellishhorses] [#15]

I have no idea where you live, but in any area with a decently fit community or a major metro area, those times don't seem anywhere close to top 1/4 of people. Maybe middle of pack at best. I guess maybe if its the Pig Knuckle, Ar sprint maybe, but otherwise, no way.

I feel like we're living in different universes. Are you doing courses with hilly runs, hilly cycle, and open water in the freezing cold or something?

Edit: I saw you were in Texas, so I just looked up a random race. Turns out I'm not crazy at all: Race results for somewhere in TX
View All Quotes

Your math sucks. Top 25% would put me at 97th place. 72nd place had nearly identical times to what I posted - go back to school.

ETA: The guy in 72nd's transitions sucked. He must have eaten or gone to the bathroom. Transition is the unofficial 4th discipline. Munoz in 37th place made up for a pedestrian swim/bike/run with awesome transitions.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#16]

Your math sucks. Top 25% would put me at 97th place. 72nd place had nearly identical times to what I posted - go back to school.

ETA: The guy in 72nd's transitions sucked. He must have eaten or gone to the bathroom. Transition is the unofficial 4th discipline. Munoz in 37th place made up for a pedestrian swim/bike/run with awesome transitions.
View Quote

Before you start hurling insults, you might want to get your data set right...

Sorry, but you are looking at all age groups and sexes (which hey, in today's world...who knows who's who I guess). Out of your age group of males, your times are roughly middle of the pack, just like I said: https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/39602/#resultSetId-369469;perpage:5000

Or maybe you meant top 1/4 including women, children, and the elderly? Sure. I'll agree with that. I assumed you meant males of his age group, but I guess not.

Plus, I don't know what race that was, but those times, those transfer times (!) and a group of only 37 people for the largest age group shows that it is just some po-dunk race with mostly weekend warriors.

Again, the times you posted are definitely, certainly, without any doubt not anywhere close to the top 1/4 for a group of triathletes who train regularly (in his age and sex of course). I'm not trying to dog you (which is why I asked your age group before even making a comment...you could have been 65 or F...), I'm just saying OP should know the advice about those times is not going to make him that competitive, and he'll need to train much harder to really be in the top 1/4.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I did my longest swim again yesterday, 1200m.  It sucks.  I hate it.  I do it to punish myself for being a dumbass.  I cuss myself out the entire time I swim.
View Quote

Yeah I’ve got nothing nice to say about swimming. I wish I could find a coach that could unlock it for me. I find swimming incredibly difficult.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 4:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hellishhorses] [#18]

View All Quotes

18mph

I thought this part was perfectly clear

again, male 40-44 is very competitive

Based on the results you posted I would have finished around 11-12th/37.

OP, if you need anything or want to meet up before a race, IM me. I'm sure we'll see you around.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Sorry, but you are looking at all age groups and sexes (which hey, in today's world...who knows who's who I guess). Out of your age group of males, your times are roughly middle of the pack, just like I said: https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/39602/#resultSetId-369469;perpage:5000

Or maybe you meant top 1/4 including women, children, and the elderly? Sure. I'll agree with that. I assumed you meant males of his age group, but I guess not.

Plus, I don't know what race that was, but those times, those transfer times (!) and a group of only 37 people for the largest age group shows that it is just some po-dunk race with mostly weekend warriors.

Again, the times you posted are definitely, certainly, without any doubt not anywhere close to the top 1/4 for a group of triathletes who train regularly (in his age and sex of course). I'm not trying to dog you (which is why I asked your age group before even making a comment...you could have been 65 or F...), I'm just saying OP should know the advice about those times is not going to make him that competitive, and he'll need to train much harder to really be in the top 1/4.
View All Quotes

That entire conversation was an encouraging response to a poster claiming to be a very strong swimmer and capable of running 5:30 miles.

With training, that guy could be special.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#20]

I thought this part was perfectly clear

again, male 40-44 is very competitive

Based on the results you posted I would have finished around 11-12th/37.

OP, if you need anything or want to meet up before a race, IM me. I'm sure we'll see you around.
View Quote

Your math is really bad. 11/37 is 30. So you'd be top 1/3, barely. Again, at a PODUNK race in the SPRINT category (Mostly beginners for people that don't know).

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you frankly (now that we're not being nice), but your times are not only average, they are well below average if you take the people who race Olympic+ distances and don't even bother with the shorter ones. Sorry bro. Look at all the race times you want, but don't be mad at me.

If I'm in TX, I will take up on, seriously. Lol. 2min swim splits and 18mph on the bike. LMAO. And you're giving advice?

OP- Take whatever advice you want, but I've made my point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#21]
anono and hellishhorses - yall should both be ashamed.  Interesting thread with a lot of good conversation sidetracked by you guys getting into a pissing match.  Take the insults directed at each other to IM's.

On Topic:  I'm going to punish myself again with another swim this week I think.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#22]

On Topic:  I'm going to punish myself again with another swim this week I think.
View Quote

Have fun. I’m going to search for a swim coach when I get home. ‘Cuz I’m absolutely hating it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
anono and hellishhorses - yall should both be ashamed.  Interesting thread with a lot of good conversation sidetracked by you guys getting into a pissing match.  Take the insults directed at each other to IM's.

View Quote

You’re right. Tried to stop myself but couldn’t. My apologies. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sumo6:

Have fun. I’m going to search for a swim coach when I get home. ‘Cuz I’m absolutely hating it.
View Quote

My swim coach ghosted me.  I never got to pay her or even bother her with one lesson.  I inquired about swim lessons at a few "schools" in my area but they are all focused on children.  The PlayTri club does 2x swim sessions a week, one in the pool and one in open water.  But they have nothing to offer for someone like me just struggling to breathe.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#25]
There are competers and completers for HIM and IM distances. Sounds like OP is a completer. Which is totally fine. Not everyone has an extra 25-30 hours for 6-12 months to prepare to compete.

So find a river swim that is wetsuit legal (current aided). You can literally float to the transition area. Full IM races start at about mile 16 of the run. That last 10 miles is BRUTAL.

Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Appalachian1998:
There are competers and completers for HIM and IM distances. Sounds like OP is a completer. Which is totally fine. Not everyone has an extra 25-30 hours for 6-12 months to prepare to compete.

So find a river swim that is wetsuit legal (current aided). You can literally float to the transition area. Full IM races start at about mile 16 of the run. That last 10 miles is BRUTAL.

Good luck OP!
View Quote

Yes sir!  I am not dissillusioned into believing I am a competitor.  And the river swim suggestion is something I had not considered.  I'll take that suggestion seriously.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 3:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#27]

View Quote

Lol. Patronize much? Ashamed? lmao.

I never once insulted hh. Not a single time. He did to me, but not the other way around. If someone posts absurd comments, they should expect someone to be called out.

If you're not a preacher, you should become one...holier than thou and all that.

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Did a 1500m swim yesterday (first 1000m non-stop!!).  It's getting better.  I still hate swimming, but it used to take me 10min doing breathing exercises just to get ready to do a meaningful workout without inviting a panic response.  I'm now down to 30-60sec of prep/warm-up and I can get to it.  

I'll start working on technique and individual skills soon, but for now I am just getting myself comfortable with the act of swimming along with just activating those swimming muscles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Up to swimming 1mi now.  And I did 1mi today 2min faster than my 1500m last week, and at a lower avg HR too.  Still focusing on strength work as well, new PR's in squat, deadlift, overhead press, and glute bridges yesterday.  

I have to juggle my training a little this week to accomodate a guys fishing trip up to the White River (stock up on winter trout).  

Keeping my running milage down for now to keep the wear and tear away from my knees and very slowly increasing it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Up to swimming 1mi now.  And I did 1mi today 2min faster than my 1500m last week, and at a lower avg HR too.  
View Quote

Nice. Have you watched (on Youtube or wherever) any really good distance swimmers or tutorials on longer distance swimming? It's obviously not a completely different animal from short distances or sprint distances, but especially your kick work and lengthening your stroke can have a big effect on your breathing.

You can do exercises in slow motion where you leave that leading hand out for what seems like forever while your bringing up your next stroke. I grew up swimming up to 400m IM, and changing that part of my stroke and kicking for longer distances was huge. It will also let you possibly develop some more advanced techniques like bilateral breathing.

Here's the WR (although he was probably doping):

Sun Yang Smashes Men's 1500m Freestyle World Record - London 2012 Olympics

Watch Sun Yangs feet. Watch how long his stroke is. If you can practice those two things and really be mindful of how the water is moving over your leading hand and head you'll make huge improvements. I'm also sure there are quite a few practice videos you could find to help improve.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Nice. Have you watched (on Youtube or wherever) any really good distance swimmers or tutorials on longer distance swimming? It's obviously not a completely different animal from short distances or sprint distances, but especially your kick work and lengthening your stroke can have a big effect on your breathing.

You can do exercises in slow motion where you leave that leading hand out for what seems like forever while your bringing up your next stroke. I grew up swimming up to 400m IM, and changing that part of my stroke and kicking for longer distances was huge. It will also let you possibly develop some more advanced techniques like bilateral breathing.

Here's the WR (although he was probably doping):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5FlDy3YmDQ

Watch Sun Yangs feet. Watch how long his stroke is. If you can practice those two things and really be mindful of how the water is moving over your leading hand and head you'll make huge improvements. I'm also sure there are quite a few practice videos you could find to help improve.
View Quote

Yes, beyond breathing exercises this was the biggest leap for me in swimming.  It isn’t officially called the “Arrow” stroke, but people are starting to call it that to differentiate it from a standard freestyle.  It is what I try to emulate.  I’ve gone from 100m max distance to 1600m in 2mo by focusing on these two things (breathing and “arrow” stroke).

One of the other things that I thought would be a gimmick but was very helpful was Form goggles with their HUD.  It gives me something to focus on that shows progress during the workout instead of just staring at a black line at the bottom of the pool.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#32]
@dyezak

I've done several tris, but the wife is the triathlete.

It looks like you two have similar goal times. She does just about every triathlon you listed. The family does the Blackland & Cedar Hill each year. Those are great for families. Galveston is good but it's warm and the run is three very congested laps, Waco's bike was BRUTAL this year with the wind and last year with the rain (tons of wrecks). One guy had a heart attack on the way back to Waco. Every athlete I talked to said the same "This bike was the worst experience I've ever had."

As mentioned above, Woodlands wind on the toll road is legendary. She's planning to skip IMTexas and do Chattanooga instead — she's heard from friends & training partners it's superior in every way.

The best 70.3 distance in the state is Kerrville (not an actual M-Dot event) from several angles (weather, the swim, beautiful bike, easy run, spectator friendly, post-race food & beer, floating in the river)

My wife uses TriDot for training plans. She has a virtual nutritionist (Jessica), she's a swim coach and belongs to a local swim club, I am her run coach but she's not very obedient and she regularly threatens to fire me.

To echo what others have said, a proper bike fit will change your world. My wife went from hating the bike, to tolerating it, to liking it, and now she loves it. She found a local bike shop that will adjust anything she wants just about any time she wants it. She's bought four bikes from them (one for our daughter). She has two bikes set up identically except one is complete carbon everything for race day, the other is aluminum and pretty much lives on the trainer.

We're between Temple and Waco so keep us updated and we'll try to meet up for some of the Co-Ed events. Pizza and beer is her dinner ritual prior to every race.

Galveston Saturday for the Beach Girl Tri — do you identify as female? My 13YO daughter could pace you for most of the race, but she'll have to wait in T1 coming out of the water — she's gonna pay for college with swimming.
View Quote

Bringing this back up.  I did try tri-dot's app out just for the free week.  I didn't find it compelling and provided them feedback on why I didn't pay for their plans, mainly they didn't have any provisions for time allotted for strength/weights that aligned with my goals at my age of keeping muscle tissue while doing endurance activities.

They reached out and said they are adding this to their 2024 plans/offerings and asked if I would try the plans out.  I agreed to use their plans to prep for my Olympic on 4/7/2024.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Triathlon guys (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top